Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Us not winning or even coming on the right column is a strong argument for brexit imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

TinTower posted:

Israel's Eurovision jury gave twelve points to a song about ethnic cleansing and genocide. :ironicat:

What, you think that genocide (or mistreatment by Stalinists) doesn't resonate with the Israeli public?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

TinTower posted:

Israel's Eurovision jury gave twelve points to a song about ethnic cleansing and genocide. :ironicat:
I liked when Germany gave 12 points to Israel, like no hard feelings eh? v:shobon:v

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

TomViolence posted:

What, you think that genocide (or mistreatment by Stalinists) doesn't resonate with the Israeli public?

It should, but the same Israeli public keep voting for Benjamin "Hitler did nothing wrong" Netanyahu, so… :shrug:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Considering the shitheads our public routinely vote for (including libdems of all things) it's maybe unwise to tar a nation's people with the same brush as their leaders.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Depends who it's genocide of. Remember, there's only four years left until the Gaza Strip, which contains 1.8 million people, becomes totally uninhabitable, and it's set to run out of drinkable water this year.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

winegums posted:

Us not winning or even coming on the right column is a strong argument for brexit imo.

It's actually a strong argument to split the UK into seperate entities.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Extreme0 posted:

Aye, I think Scotland, Wales and Northern Island would do fine in Eurovision. It's only the English everyone hates.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Oh I dunno. I think it's by the powers of these isles combined that we produce a truly detestable union. More dislikable than the sum of its parts.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mega Comrade posted:

Aye, I think Scotland, Wales and Northern Island would do fine in Eurovision. It's only the English everyone hates.

Im not sure they'd get through the qualifying rounds.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

I'm surprised that something as low quality as Eurovision even has qualifying rounds.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Split British entries in eurovision would at least give us the ability to do a somewhat meaningful level of neighbour voting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spain would have none of that.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I think so, but then again Ireland never does really well either so...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

FinalGamer posted:

ireland is the most successful country ever in eurovision terms

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pissflaps posted:

Getting automatically through to the final has of course been a brilliant recipe for Eurovision glory.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TinTower posted:

Ukraine's song, sung by a Crimean Tatar and totally not about forced deportations under Stalin, wins.

HorseLord is going to be pissed.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

TinTower posted:

Ukraine's song, sung by a Crimean Tatar and totally not about forced deportations under Stalin, wins.

HorseLord is going to be pissed.

I'm annoyed at how "nothing political" at the eurovision is a blatant lie, but I don't care about this song. I'm more annoyed that they consider the flag of the country of Palestine to be forbidden because politics, but you can wave the LGBT rainbow which is explicitly a political flag.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

FinalGamer posted:

At one point we were winning so often the RTE deliberately chose a rubbish song because it was costing too much to host the events. That backfired and we went on to win again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HorseLord posted:

I'm annoyed at how "nothing political" at the eurovision is a blatant lie, but I don't care about this song. I'm more annoyed that they consider the flag of the country of Palestine to be forbidden because politics, but you can wave the LGBT rainbow which is explicitly a political flag.

p. much

I get that the criticism of Stalin could be considered apolitical in theory but the timing is pretty transparently a 'Russia bad, Ukraine victim' entry.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

It's impossible to be apolitical in a competition that by its very nature favours the existence of modern nation-states. :anarchists:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

ireland is the most successful country ever in eurovision terms
Sorry I meant more in recent times, Ireland never seems to hit very high up at least for the past five years or so. Then again I am drunk every Eurovision so I am not a credible source to be fair.

I did sorta forget Ireland once won three times in a row and that is absurd to think about :stare:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
We did vote to send a singing turkey to the Eurovision in 2008. We've had a string of failing to qualify and last places since then.
I think the rest of Europe hasn't forgiven us for making a mockery of their song contest.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Marenghi posted:

At one point we were winning so often the RTE deliberately chose a rubbish song because it was costing too much to host the events. That backfired and we went on to win again.

https://youtu.be/jzYzVMcgWhg

vvvv Nah, increasingly bizarre remixes of My Lovely Horse

namesake fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 15, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

We did vote to send a singing turkey to the Eurovision in 2008. We've had a string of failing to qualify and last places since then.
I think the rest of Europe hasn't forgiven us for making a mockery of their song contest.

I think Father Ted had it right, Ireland have been submitting "My Lovely Horse" since the 90s.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pissflaps posted:

I dunno, a decent male voice choir singing Calon Lan (or for the comedy angle, Sospan Fach) would probably rack up more points than a typical UK entry.

e: can you imagine international translators trying to explain what Sospan Fach is about.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 15, 2016

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

p. much

I get that the criticism of Stalin could be considered apolitical in theory but the timing is pretty transparently a 'Russia bad, Ukraine victim' entry.

It's also interesting that Israel, Australia, Armenia and Georgia get an invite each year but no other country that's detached from Europe does. I'm not sure hoovering up all the light-skinned/christian countries in the middle east and then skipping 10,000 kilometers to find the next one along is particularly tasteful or apolitical.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Nika Kocharov and the Young Georgian Lolitaz

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nah, that's technically not genocide because it's helped by climate change, which is the best kind of not-genocide.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Paul.Power posted:

I dunno, a decent male voice choir singing Calon Lan (or for the comedy angle, Sospan Fach) would probably rack up more points than a typical UK entry.

e: can you imagine international translators trying to explain what Sospan Fach is about.

I'm imagining this and its hilarious.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FinalGamer posted:

They won five times in a row or something

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a7027446.html

Tories have been caught not declaring mass mail out letters on local expenses too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a7027446.html

Tories have been caught not declaring mass mail out letters on local expenses too.

A hahaha loving hell we are such a corrupt poo poo hole built on money stolen from the people of the world.

They only didn't stuff ballots because it wasn't needed.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ignoring the politics, the song for Ukraine was just dull and I can't even remember how the tune goes.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

WMain00 posted:

Ignoring the politics, the song for Ukraine was just dull and I can't even remember how the tune goes.

With the exception of the joke entries, Eurovision songs are so artlessly produced by committee that they all blur into one bland, lifeless wall of noise with occasional words like 'love' and 'emotion' thrown in, if only to give actual representation to two concepts effectively removed from the song-writing process.

namesake posted:

A hahaha loving hell we are such a corrupt poo poo hole built on money stolen from the people of the world.

They only didn't stuff ballots because it wasn't needed.

Don't worry, Serious People will say that Lessons Have Been Learned, everyone in the media will nod sagely, Rafael Behr will write an article saying 'if only Labour could be so honest :smug:' and everyone will move on.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 15, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Also, hot takes on the most important news at the moment, only in The Guardian Observer :byodood:

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Extreme0 posted:

Eurovision 2020: After their 4th straight win, can anyone stop the juggernaut that is The Proclaimers?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pesmerga posted:

Also, hot takes on the most important news at the moment, only in The Guardian Observer :byodood:

So no-one else has to read the column, the argument* behind the headline is "Kuenssberg is a woman, ergo anyone who dislikes her is sexist" in an example of Poe's Law for the MRA crowd. It also assumes that the petition was taken down for sexist comments, when that's been shown to be a lie.

*Sort of. The article is meandery as gently caress and doesn't really have anything to say other than "Sometimes people support things I don't like and that's bad"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/14/boris-johnson-the-eu-wants-a-superstate-just-as-hitler-did/

quote:

Boris Johnson: The EU wants a superstate, just as Hitler did
The European Union is pursuing a similar goal to Hitler in trying to create a powerful superstate, Boris Johnson says.
In a dramatic interview with the Telegraph, he warns that while bureaucrats in Brussels are using “different methods” from the Nazi dictator, they share the aim of unifying Europe under one “authority”.
But the EU’s “disastrous” failures have fuelled tensions between member states and allowed Germany to grow in power, “take over” the Italian economy and “destroy” Greece, he warns.
Mr Johnson invokes Winston Churchill’s war-time defiance, urging the British people to be “the heroes of Europe” again, set the country free and save the EU from itself by voting to leave in the referendum next month.
The former mayor of London, who is a keen classical scholar, argues that the past 2,000 years of European history have been characterised by repeated attempts to unify Europe under a single government in order to recover the continent’s lost “golden age” under the Romans.
“Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he says.
“The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods.
It's nice of him to give Sadiq Khan an early career award for being the first Mayor of London to not have said something catastrophically dumb about Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/14/boris-johnson-the-eu-wants-a-superstate-just-as-hitler-did/

It's nice of him to give Sadiq Khan an early career award for being the first Mayor of London to not have said something catastrophically dumb about Hitler.

Maybe he's hoping it will play well to his idiotic audience that would agree with such a sentiment?

• Locked thread