Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Actually, on that note...

The Independent posted:

Most people have no idea how many countries are in the EU, survey says
Exclusive: Poll finds the majority of people did not know there was an official EU anthem while some believed there was a European army

The majority of people have no idea how many countries there are in the European Union, with more than 10 per cent believing there is an official European army.

An exclusive ComRes poll for The Independent found most people also believed most UK law came from the EU and had no idea there was an official EU anthem.

Of 2,043 people surveyed at the beginning of May, 73 per cent thought there were 29 countries in the EU when in fact there are 28, while 61 per cent of people believed most UK laws are set by the EU, when in fact official figures put EU regulation at anywhere between 15 and 50 per cent of UK law, including laws "influenced" by Brussels. And 70 per cent of people were unaware the EU’s official anthem is "Ode to Joy".

The poll also showed that while the majority of people were aware there was no EU army, 14 per cent believed there was, while 29 per cent did not realise UK citizens required a passport to get into other European countries.

However, the majority of people surveyed were aware of the Treasury estimate that puts the cost of leaving the EU at £4,300 per household per year by 2030, although Ukip voters were the group most likely to say this statement was false.

There is currently an almost even split in people wishing to remain in the EU and those hoping for Brexit, according to the latest polls. The referendum will be held on 23 June.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/most-people-have-no-idea-how-many-countries-are-in-the-eu-survey-says-a7029711.html

Ooh, history snipe. January 4th 1978, a national referendum in Chile shows support for Augusto Pinochet's policies, just showing that leaving important issues to referendums is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I thought it was 29 countries tbh.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Hoops posted:

I thought it was 29 countries tbh.

Confusion probably surrounds there being 27 with Romania and Bulgaria joining in 2007, and then Croatia becoming the 28th in 2013.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The exact number of countries in the EU is pretty meaningless trivia for most people, I'm not sure why it's the headline if people were only out by 1. If people were saying there were 100 then that might be interesting but?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The exact number of countries in the EU is pretty meaningless trivia for most people, I'm not sure why it's the headline if people were only out by 1. If people were saying there were 100 then that might be interesting but?

Yeah, the 'number of laws' and 'EU army' parts probably would have been more relevant.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I suppose it's relevant to compare to asking Americans how many states the USA has as a marker of knowledge about their European identity but it doesn't really swing it one way or the other as it's a lack of knowledge about the EU for those who want to leave but it shows the failure of education and importance of the EU for those who want to stay.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pesmerga posted:

leaving important issues to referendums is loving stupid.

b-b-but why do you hate you're freedoms :britain:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I didn't know how many EU member states there are.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pissflaps posted:

unsurprising

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pissflaps posted:

It is something you would have known if you spent more time in the glory that is the europol thread.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's not a material point, who cares.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think id have guessed 26.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I just tried to name all the EU countries but only got to 25. I forgot Greece, Cyprus and Malta. I'm never even quite sure that the latter two are even proper counties tbh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/14/boris-johnson-the-eu-wants-a-superstate-just-as-hitler-did/

It's nice of him to give Sadiq Khan an early career award for being the first Mayor of London to not have said something catastrophically dumb about Hitler.

*yet.

Khan's been quoted as saying some pretty dumb things so far, but after reading the first article, I have no doubt he's been misquoted as having said the things he's supposed to have said.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also 30% of people knew what the EU's national anthem is? I'm honestly surprised it's that high. And people getting the number of EU states slightly wrong isn't newsworthy, if they said like 15 or 40 then it would be, but 29 instead of 28 is hardly extraordinary.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/dannykellywords/status/731779905076264960

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nothing to seehere posted:

Also 30% of people knew what the EU's national anthem is?

It has one?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Well Hitler did cause the ECHR in not a roundabout way

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

It's certainly not got a 'national' anthem

Yet

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm just amazed that 73% of people all guessed at the same number. Was it multiple choice?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the EU becomes a single superstate then at least we might get a national day/flag day on May 9th.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CASSETTE INTO THE SLOT. ITS ODE TO JOY AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START SINGING THE WORDS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JEAN-CLAUDE JUNCKER etc. etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What words?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guavanaut posted:

What words?

There are vocals.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

What words?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_to_Joy

Apparently the words aren't officially part of the anthem, I did not realise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are specifically no words in the EU anthem variant though. (efb)

I suppose there's Nur nur nur nur nur nur nur nurnurnurnur nurr-nur nurnur. Which is still a step up from the UK's 'national' anthem, and two steps up from England's lack of an anthem at all.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I feel bad for England. Scotland has got at least a good three or four perfectly serviceable potential anthems, even if most of them fall into the usual "battle from hundreds of years ago we should have gotten over by now" anthem category. Meanwhile though England has to make do with goddamn Jerusalem.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I don't know why the EU picked that tune, isn't Peggle an american game?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The EU anthem should be whatever won the latest Eurovision contest.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

namesake posted:

The EU anthem should be whatever won the latest Eurovision contest.

Having Hard Rock Hallelujah as EU anthem for a year would have been pretty sweet

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

I feel bad for England. Scotland has got at least a good three or four perfectly serviceable potential anthems, even if most of them fall into the usual "battle from hundreds of years ago we should have gotten over by now" anthem category. Meanwhile though England has to make do with goddamn Jerusalem.

Is There for Honest Poverty/A Man's A Man For A' That seems like more or less the perfect Scottish anthem. Written by Scotland's most celebrated poet, it's got a decent tune that can be adapted to be lively or solemn as required, it's immediately identifiable as Scottish, and the lyrics are laudably peaceable, noble and egalitarian rather than just about murdering the English.

I guess it doesn't quite have the same appeal to raucous jiingoism as some other possibilities, but it also has precedent being used in the Scottish Parliament, so I think it'd be a plausible choice if Scotland were to select an official anthem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I guess it doesn't quite have the same appeal to raucous jiingoism as some other possibilities, but it also has precedent being used in the Scottish Parliament, so I think it'd be a plausible choice if Scotland were to select an official anthem.
If Yorkshire get their own regional parliament/assembly then they can have the Beggar's Litany as their anthem.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Angepain posted:

Jerusalem is a Good Poem and William Blake is likewise Excellent.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

A Man's A Man is definitely my #1 choice for Scottish anthem. Mostly on not-being-about-killing-people points, admittedly.

OvineYeast posted:

Jerusalem is a Good Poem and William Blake is likewise Excellent.

I've no strong views on the poem really, but the song? It is physically impossible to smile or be happy while singing the melody of Jerusalem.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
It's a song that rails against industrialisation

it's not supposed to be happy

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I thought it was a song bragging on how Jesus sailed here as a ship's carpenter, and totally rocked out at Glastonbury before it was taken over by middle class hipsters?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

I've no strong views on the poem really, but the song? It is physically impossible to smile or be happy while singing the melody of Jerusalem.
I always smile at the thinly veiled bit about wanking.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
When the gently caress would you sing a european anthem?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I always thought "I Vow to Thee" was kinda pretty.

Still, anything would be better than that god drat funeral dirge of God Save the Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jippa posted:

When the gently caress would you sing a european anthem?
When we go to war with the Asian Coalition and the Greater American Empire in 2115.

• Locked thread