Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

smell this posted:

I'm actually paying him.

Thank you boss, I hope i'm doing a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

smell this posted:

I'm actually paying him.

Can I pay you to stop?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

One bad thing about UC4 is that it's rock steady framerate has made me notice more what garbo other PS4 games fps are. :(

I was watching a Youtube of some dude playing Doom on PS4 and it made me so thankful that I get to play this super cool game flawlessly on PC with ultra settings. And to think it only cost me $1200!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ometeotl posted:

Does Sony pay you to post like this?

The playstation is actually pretty known for pushing the systems to the limit and its something the xbox games never bothered with. Why do you think the XBONE is a piece of poo poo console? Everyone who makes the games are doing the bare minimum. Have fun playing Quantam break with the 8 hour Nissan commercial.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

I was watching a Youtube of some dude playing Doom on PS4 and it made me so thankful that I get to play this super cool game flawlessly on PC with ultra settings. And to think it only cost me $1200!

$1200 bucks sounds like a cheap rear end computer, but I'm not one to judge. That's less then what my monitor cost me. I'm pretty critical of the $500 console killa pc fan boys. Like drat I didn't know Walmart had a sale!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 15, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I said come in! posted:

Still in the camp that believes NEO doesn't exist. If it did Sony would not announce it at E3 unless they were going to make it available for purchase in stores that day. If that were the case then stores would already know about the NEO and we would have a lot more serious credible sources where right now we have none. None of the executives at various big publishers know about the NEO and they have all commented on it at this point.

If it does exist. i think it will be like an xbox elite. more memory and few more gizmos. its not going to be worth it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have no intention of buying a "new" PS4 console, and I strongly suspect most PS4 owners think the same way. If it isn't a straight up new system or upgrade, it feels pointless. And nobody else is doing it--if Sony is trying to match step with Nintendo of all companies, then they've really lost sight of who their market is.

this. I am not gonna by some "upgrade" that can play on a tv i neither own nor can afford. what because it will go 60 fps on every game. so. thats not enough. if it can transfer my savefiles over to it and has a good trade in policy then maybe.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished reading that Lionhead: The Inside Story article that was linked awhile back. Holy poo poo. Often when I play a game and I see flaws left and right, I form ideas in my head like "they didn't understand that this idea in itself doesn't make an interesting game" or "they have no idea how these different parts of the game fit together" or "They just don't understand how to make features that are actually fun" but these are just reactionary immature ideas. Usually things aren't that simple, and there were other problems and unfinished, unpolished products are result all kinds of complicated production factors I don't have any idea about. But after reading that article, never have I felt more vindicated in my feelings about Fable games and that Peter Molyneux is a garbage game designer. Don't get me wrong, he has a lot of neat ideas, and interesting concepts, but that's only part of game design. WE just talked about, in the last few pages, how Bethesda's open world "you can do anything" games end up feeling hollow. Molyneux has the exact same problem with his games. He takes interesting concepts, and then assumes that a superficial implementation of them will be an engaging game experience.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tenzarin posted:

The playstation is actually pretty known for pushing the systems to the limit and its something the xbox games never bothered with. Why do you think the XBONE is a piece of poo poo console? Everyone who makes the games are doing the bare minimum. Have fun playing Quantam break with the 8 hour Nissan commercial.

thats kinda of the problem, all of its exclusives suck. quantum break is probaly the best one and that has its own issues. the tv show feels stapeled on. the story while interesting is predictable, the shooting while fun is meh. alan wake is a much better game. Ps4 has its own exclusive game issues. but mostly those are some of the launch games and the order.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snak posted:

I just finished reading that Lionhead: The Inside Story article that was linked awhile back. Holy poo poo. Often when I play a game and I see flaws left and right, I form ideas in my head like "they didn't understand that this idea in itself doesn't make an interesting game" or "they have no idea how these different parts of the game fit together" or "They just don't understand how to make features that are actually fun" but these are just reactionary immature ideas. Usually things aren't that simple, and there were other problems and unfinished, unpolished products are result all kinds of complicated production factors I don't have any idea about. But after reading that article, never have I felt more vindicated in my feelings about Fable games and that Peter Molyneux is a garbage game designer. Don't get me wrong, he has a lot of neat ideas, and interesting concepts, but that's only part of game design. WE just talked about, in the last few pages, how Bethesda's open world "you can do anything" games end up feeling hollow. Molyneux has the exact same problem with his games. He takes interesting concepts, and then assumes that a superficial implementation of them will be an engaging game experience.

quote:

In October 2008, Microsoft released Lionhead's Fable 2 to critical and commercial acclaim. At a launch party an emotional Peter Molyneux held aloft glowing reviews and praised the exhausted team of developers who had spent the previous four years pouring everything they had into the game. Fable 2 would go on to win a BAFTA and become the best-selling role-playing game for the Xbox 360. Lionhead was on top of the world.

drat it won awards before people even played it to realize Fable 2 was awful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really don't want there to be a new PS4 because, frankly, I'm an idiot and will probably buy it. I have a decent PC but there are always just enough good console exclusives per generation that I feel like I should own one. And I just know that a PS4 Neo or whatever they're calling it would have at least a couple things exclusive to it that would push me to buy it like a consumer fool.

Sakurazuka posted:

One bad thing about UC4 is that it's rock steady framerate has made me notice more what garbo other PS4 games fps are. :(

Uncharted 4 is pretty seriously impressive, given how difficult it has seemed to be to make games both look good and hold a steady 30 fps on the PS4. That UC4 both looks fantastic and has really steady fps is kinda shocking. Bloodborne even had an actual Sony dev studio involved and couldn't pull off the steady 30 fps part.

Snak posted:

He takes interesting concepts, and then assumes that a superficial implementation of them will be an engaging game experience.

That's a really good way of saying it.

I really did enjoy Fable 2 when it came out. I can't really remember why, probably because a couple of my friends played with me and we passed the controller around and had goofy adventures. But looking back, it's kind of striking just how shallow the whole experience is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Uncharted 4 is pretty seriously impressive, given how difficult it has seemed to be to make games both look good and hold a steady 30 fps on the PS4. That UC4 both looks fantastic and has really steady fps is kinda shocking. Bloodborne even had an actual Sony dev studio involved and couldn't pull off the steady 30 fps part.

Well, ND has been running circles around other Sony staff like that since Crash.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I really don't want there to be a new PS4 because, frankly, I'm an idiot and will probably buy it. I have a decent PC but there are always just enough good console exclusives per generation that I feel like I should own one. And I just know that a PS4 Neo or whatever they're calling it would have at least a couple things exclusive to it that would push me to buy it like a consumer fool.

That's a really good way of saying it.

I really did enjoy Fable 2 when it came out. I can't really remember why, probably because a couple of my friends played with me and we passed the controller around and had goofy adventures. But looking back, it's kind of striking just how shallow the whole experience is.

Maybe its harder to have a steady framerate if theres actually gameplay

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats kinda of the problem, all of its exclusives suck. quantum break is probaly the best one and that has its own issues. the tv show feels stapeled on. the story while interesting is predictable, the shooting while fun is meh. alan wake is a much better game. Ps4 has its own exclusive game issues. but mostly those are some of the launch games and the order.

So the main character has time powers, but the only way he can climb a fence or open a door is that he has to go back in time to when it was open or a trashcan was in a place he could jump on? While he could blow up buildings with the time powers?

They have always had linear issues all the way back to Max Payne 1, you would figure they would not make the main character a time god to solve it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 15, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yes, game mechanics are sometimes silly and illogical. How about that airplane food?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

What GPU do you use?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have a 980ti and Doom runs without a hitch.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my old rear end machine can only play dota 2 and stellaris

but i hope doom is good and everyone is having fun with it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New PS4 is fine by me since I don't have one yet but was planning on getting one soon for Persona 5.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

New PS4 is fine by me since I don't have one yet but was planning on getting one soon for Persona 5.

It's out on ps3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

smell this posted:

It's out on ps3

I'll be amazed if they bother releasing the PS3 version in the west.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll be amazed if they bother releasing the PS3 version in the west.

They probably will

At least I hope so

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps4k is real its 4k blueray, 4k tv compatible with like 30% more power for higher frame rates and minimum 1080p resolutions. The specs and requirements for compatibility are all confirmed.
It is 100% compatible with ps4 on all titles including vr and will be 399 while current ps4 will drop to 299 or less
It will launch no earlier than october as that is the beginning of software support requirements at launch.
Announcements coming prior to launch is how every non saturn system works. A price drop of the base model prior will keep sales going through the meaningless low volume summer months

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Real hurthling! posted:

Ps4k is real its 4k blueray, 4k tv compatible with like 30% more power for higher frame rates and minimum 1080p resolutions. The specs and requirements for compatibility are all confirmed.
It is 100% compatible with ps4 on all titles including vr and will be 399 while current ps4 will drop to 299 or less
It will launch no earlier than october as that is the beginning of software support requirements at launch.
Announcements coming prior to launch is how every non saturn system works. A price drop of the base model prior will keep sales going through the meaningless low volume summer months

Stop being so logical, this isn't the thread for that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope the VR fad dies out before it consumes much more time and money from companies that could be making worthwhile technological advancements instead. The Vive and Oculus are looking to basically just be VR Shovelware machines at this point and they're so expensive and niche that I dunno if that's gonna improve before they die.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Junpei Hyde posted:

They probably will

At least I hope so

Tales of zestria made it to both. Godzilla and dragon quest heroes didnt. Its tough to say

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I hope the VR fad dies out before it consumes much more time and money from companies that could be making worthwhile technological advancements instead. The Vive and Oculus are looking to basically just be VR Shovelware machines at this point and they're so expensive and niche that I dunno if that's gonna improve before they die.

Combining VR with a traditional mouse/keyboard setup would vastly improve my elite dangerous experience.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Combining VR with a traditional mouse/keyboard setup would vastly improve my elite dangerous experience.

Is that worth 400+ dollars to you, though? I don't think that level of immersion is worth that amount of money to many people.

edit: And the counter-argument there is usually that it's meant for people who have money to burn on that kind of thing, but that's gonna lead to some pretty small sales once that market starts getting filled out imo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If someone wanted to just jump into VR it would cost like almost 2 grand. It's never going to take off and thus no one will develop for it. Idk who convinced themselves it was gonna work to put so many billions of dollars and hours into it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Portrait of Ruin is a really drat good Castlevania game and puts Dawn of Sorrow to shame.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

In Training posted:

If someone wanted to just jump into VR it would cost like almost 2 grand. It's never going to take off and thus no one will develop for it. Idk who convinced themselves it was gonna work to put so many billions of dollars and hours into it

Because it's a neat concept so people online were more than willing to throw money at the kickstarter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when it doesn't need to be tethered to a top of the line computer i could see it taking off mainstream. the space program used to result in new tech for the masses. now its the space sim grognard market.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Junpei Hyde posted:

They probably will

At least I hope so

They're not gonna release a PS3 game in 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean they're releasing one in a month

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The specs and requirements for compatibility are all confirmed.

Where do you see this new PS4 on the official PlayStation website? I'm not seeing it on there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

They're not gonna release a PS3 game in 2017

well, they released P4 as a PS2 game in 2008, two years after the PS3 was out.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

Where do you see this new PS4 on the official PlayStation website? I'm not seeing it on there.

Stop being so obtuse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

Stop being so obtuse.

It's a simple question.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

well, they released P4 as a PS2 game in 2008, two years after the PS3 was out.

P4 only had a PS2 version, the PS3 was a miserable failure for the first two years and 2017 is three years later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ometeotl posted:

Stop being so obtuse.

I don't believe it until there's actually an official confirmation from somewhere, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Atlus USA known dropper of dead skus

• Locked thread