Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

this_is_hard posted:

:laffo:

Tormund and Brienne :getin:

I have zero % issues with this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

LemonDrizzle posted:

What the Dothraki saw when Drogo got vegetated was: man gets wounded, wound gets worse until man can no longer ride his horse, man is taken into tent, healer woman does some ritual involving chanting, man's condition worsens further and he falls into a coma. Also, his pregnant wife miscarries. None of those events is massively unusual or likely to force anybody to rethink their ideas about how the world works. Seeing a small woman walk unharmed out of a fire that burned all her clothes away, destroyed a large building, and killed several strong men is on a rather different level.

The main issue here is not wether or not magic is believe to be real or not. Here:

quote:

She turned to the three young warriors of her khas.

"Jhogo, to you I give the silver-handled whip that was my bride gift, and name you ko, and ask your oath, that you will live and die as blood of my blood, riding at my side to keep me safe from harm."

Jhogo took the whip from her hands, but his face was confused. "Khaleesi, " he said hesitantly, "this is not done. It would shame me, to be bloodrider to a woman."

"Aggo," Dany called, paying no heed to Jhogo's words. If I look back I am lost. "To you I give the dragonbone bow that was my bride gift." It was double-curved, shiny black and exquisite, taller than she was. "I name you ko, and ask your oath, that you should live and die as blood of my blood, riding at my side to keep me safe from harm."

Aggo accepted the bow with lowered eyes. "I cannot say these words. Only a man can lead a khalasar or name a ko."

"Rakharo," Dany said, turning away from the refusal, "you shall have the great arakh that was my bride gift, with hilt and blade chased in gold. And you too I name my ko, and ask that you live and die as blood of my blood, riding at my side to keep me safe from harm."

"You are khaleesi," Rakharo said, taking the arakh. "I shall ride at your side to Vaes Dothrak beneath the Mother of Mountains, and keep you safe from harm until you take your place with the crones of the dosh khaleen. No more can I promise."

This is a society, if it can even be called that, that since birth were taught that Tumblr is wrong and should serve 4chan.

The circumstances after Drogo's death and this are completely different. What remained of the Khalasar, mostly the old, the weak and the young, had traveled with her and had seen that she had a soft spot for the weak . They remained with her because the alternative was attempting to go back to where they came from and die in the way, or attempting to go back to where they came from and be killed by the other Khals in the way.

Sure she then came out of the pyre, maybe that shocked them, but this is a world were the faith of R'hlor and Asshai exist, and could be easily dismissed as a parlour trick or witchcraft. Can't really remember much about the book, but in the show the Dothraki have made their opinion very clear on how to treat witches, both in the old Khalasar and the new one.

What really cemented the old Khalasar into following her were the dragons, creatures of legend of immense power suddenly brought back into existance.

Every Dothraki warrior aspires to become a Khal, and has killing another Khal in combat as "one of the top 5 Dothraki things". Daenerys comes and kills all of their leaders in what they can only view as a cowardly way, takes a dump on their tradition something that apparently is above the "Dothraki top 5 things to do", and displays traits of witchcraft.

The Dothraki, the proud race, and every single one of them kneeled because she just wouldn't burn, "I mean how are we gonna kill her if she does not burn and we can't spill blood in here? The only possible solution is to follow her."

You are right, it's on a completely different level. The stupid level.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 16, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

David Benioff posted:

For the first time we got some pushback were the author said he loved the casting so much that he was going to expand the character's role in the books, so we said 'oh no we're quite sure we're gonna have that character do nothing of consequence and die 3 minutes after she shows up for the first time in three years' and that kind of developed into a long conversation and we just wanted to poo poo on the character even more.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 16, 2016

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I continue to love the pacing of this season. There really is the sensation that the game is gearing towards its end. I was thinking about how many book chapters it would take Daenerys to achieve what she did today after - what? Five scenes since the beginning of the season?

I also continue to love the efficient shedding of nonessential characters. And plotline mergers.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I haven't read the last 15 pages since this thread has been moving so fast, but a question I've had since last week's episode: What were the Kingsguard going to do if they'd beaten Ned's crew, or Ned never showed up in the first place? Was the plan to just keep Lyanna trapped in the tower until her natural death? They knew their king had been killed, along with the prince who told them to guard Lyanna, so...? Ned was asking a very reasonable question, wanting to see his sister. With their king dead, were they just going to keep Lyanna away from Ned indefinitely? What would happen if Lyanna herself asked to see her family? Or asked to go on vacation to King's Landing or something? From all interpretations, they considered her their princess, or at least the prince's beloved consort, not anyone they were trying to imprison or punish.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Phenotype posted:

I haven't read the last 15 pages since this thread has been moving so fast, but a question I've had since last week's episode: What were the Kingsguard going to do if they'd beaten Ned's crew, or Ned never showed up in the first place? Was the plan to just keep Lyanna trapped in the tower until her natural death? They knew their king had been killed, along with the prince who told them to guard Lyanna, so...? Ned was asking a very reasonable question, wanting to see his sister. With their king dead, were they just going to keep Lyanna away from Ned indefinitely? What would happen if Lyanna herself asked to see her family? Or asked to go on vacation to King's Landing or something? From all interpretations, they considered her their princess, or at least the prince's beloved consort, not anyone they were trying to imprison or punish.

Ned's allies just killed almost every single Targaryen in existence, including a few toddlers, their orders were probably along the lines of 'Protect Lyanna and the royal infant growing in her belly which I incidentally believe is the fulfillment of this prophecy I've been obsessing about for the past few years', they were not gonna let Ned through.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Phenotype posted:

If Lyanna was pregnant with Rhaegar's son, then they were protecting the mother of the heir. My thought is that she was too pregnant to leave, but as soon as the new king was born they would leave with him to protect him. Something like that anyway.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Phenotype posted:

My guess is either she or her child would have received the Daenerys/Aegon treatment and shipped to the Uneventful Continent.

They were probably posted at the Tower of Joy in case King's Landing fell so that they would have time to take a ship, but Lyanna's pregnancy got complicated and they didn't dare move her for risk of losing them both.

If Lyanna had survived, my guess is that she would have still shipped the boy with one of the Kingsguard and remained behind, because she knew Robert was temperamental and would have the kid kill because "gently caress you Rhaegar", and if she escaped with the child Robert would have people looking for her. She could tell Robert she had a miscarriage and the fanfiction can go on and on from this point.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 16, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lezard_valeth posted:

This is a society, if it can even be called that, that since birth were taught that Tumblr is wrong and should serve 4chan.

I'm in awe that you wrote that and are apparently being 100% serious. Just loving dumbstruck.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lezard_valeth posted:

My guess is either she or her child would have received the Daenerys/Aegon treatment and shipped to the Uneventful Continent.

They were probably posted at the Tower of Joy in case King's Landing fell so that they would have time to take a ship, but Lyanna's pregnancy got complicated and they didn't dare move her for risk of losing them both.

Well how do you interpret these statements from the Kingsguard in that respect?

quote:

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

Well how do you interpret these statements from the Kingsguard in that respect?

They would not be fleeing, they would be still following their prince's order. Just as them being left in the Tower of Joy instead of following their prince to the Trident was not them fleeing. I think the word flee is not used there as actually escaping but more meaning that they do not renounce to their duties.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm in awe that you wrote that and are apparently being 100% serious. Just loving dumbstruck.

Well I'm dumbstruck by the number of people in this thread that instead of addressing arguments with counterarguments resort to pointing out at the way people express or the humour they use to do so. Things like that make me believe that said people actually know that the argument being brought is true (ie. Dothraki kneeling to Daenerys making no sense) but just cannot accept that the show they love has flaws.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 16, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Kingsguard are probably people with divided loyalties and competing oaths who compromise their vows in one way to preserve them in another, sully their perceived honor by doing things they perceive as right or just (or simply what they want to), and make mistakes just like everybody else

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DeadBonesBrook posted:

He somehow then managed to book passage on a ship despite having nothing to barter

Reek bent to his task.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lezard_valeth posted:

They would not be fleeing, they would be still following their prince's order. Just as them being left in the Tower of Joy instead of following their prince to the Trident was not them fleeing. I think the word flee is not used there as actually escaping but more meaning that they do not renounce to their duties.

Ser Darry acted on the orders of his king when he sailed to Dragonstone though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ned was with the baby killers, so they weren't giving him the baby. I don't think we need anything past that.

Edit: And Theon's grovelling skills must be next-level. He probably just begged passage the entire way.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

Ser Darry acted on the orders of his king when he sailed to Dragonstone though.

Dunno then. Guess Gurm didn't think on the explanation as to why they were there and what they planned to do for any other scenario other than "For Ned to confront them and hear her sister's death wish".

Maybe they could have taken Lyana's baby and sail to Dorne and rally the Dornish? Maybe they planned to sent Lyanna on a ship and stay behind to buy time while she escaped with her baby? We know very little of Arthur Dayne and the other Kingsguard own motivation and thoughts on the whole matter other than what we get from third parties and they all say that they were honorable warriors, but that could be them just being respectful to the death.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 16, 2016

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I like how the Brienne and Tormund scene made the results for Tormund autocomplete with Brienne in it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Karpaw posted:

Reek bent to his task.

The captain's daughter again?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ague Proof posted:

The captain's daughter again?

The captain. It was time for him to pay the piper.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

lezard_valeth posted:

Dunno then. Guess Gurm didn't think on the explanation as to why they were there and what they planned to do for any other scenario other than "For Ned to confront them and hear her sister's death wish".

I think a fairly simple explanation is that Lyanna was extremely pregnant and they couldn't take her anywhere until she gave birth, considering they were in the middle of the mountains.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lezard_valeth posted:

Well I'm dumbstruck by the number of people in this thread that instead of addressing arguments with counterarguments resort to pointing out at the way people express or the humour they use to do so. Things like that make me believe that said people actually know that the argument being brought is true (ie. Dothraki kneeling to Daenerys making no sense) but just cannot accept that the show they love has flaws.

I just don't think you made enough of a case for your argument. Could you perhaps go into more depth?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The captain. It was time for him to pay the piper.

The Greyjoys do not blow.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Sounds about right. Poor osha :(, a victim of D&D aka Ramsay

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vanderdeath posted:

If you think ADWD is better than this season so far then...I just don't know, man. I'm a bit of a GRRM apologist but AFFC and ADWD dragged on forever and absolutely loving nothing happened. I'm still annoyed at the bullshit with Quentyn.

I have a huge appreciate for ADWD after reading The Meerenese Knot blog.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
ADWD and AFFC were both good books.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Given that LF did not travel to Winterfell with any secrecy his story would never hold up if anyone seriously invastigated him, but who would that be? Royce was nearly pushed out of the Moon Door, the other lords of the Vale are rowing in a boat with Gendry and Cersei is busy dealing with the High Septon and Dorne.

My biggest gripe with that scene was the use of the phrase "the wars to come", which seems to be a phrase beloved by D&D.

Yeah I thought it was pretty obvious that scene had virtually nothing to do with the truth; LF got called out pretty plainly and LF in turn was trying to punish Royce for calling him out in public, demonstrating that he had way more influence over Robin. It almost doesn't matter what actually happened in that scenario because Robin will believe whatever LF says.

Side note: Ramsay has finally made the act of murdering characters dull. He is the most boring character to use this way because the audience has absolutely zero conflict with him at this point, they just want him to die. I'm trying to figure out if they're going to find a way to teleport him to Essos to kill Tyrion or something.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm looking forward to 6 more episodes of Will they?/Won't they? tension between Tormund and Brienne.

Wait til Tormund hears about the size of Pod's member! Har!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mendrian posted:

Side note: Ramsay has finally made the act of murdering characters dull. He is the most boring character to use this way because the audience has absolutely zero conflict with him at this point, they just want him to die. I'm trying to figure out if they're going to find a way to teleport him to Essos to kill Tyrion or something.

someone needs to kidnap Jack Gleeson and force him to start acting again so we have a good villain

at this point I do not care what the excuse for him still being alive is

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm looking forward to 6 more episodes of Will they?/Won't they? tension between Tormund and Brienne.

Wait til Tormund hears about the size of Pod's member! Har!

Wait till he hears that she's killed a goddamn bear!

Or was that Jamie? Don't quite remember, she was involved somehow, right?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Wait till he hears that she's killed a goddamn bear!

Or was that Jamie? Don't quite remember, she was involved somehow, right?

She was the damsel in distress in that situation.

But I hope you are all pumped for the Jamie, Brienne, Tormund relationship conflict. Get ready to be on #teamJamie or #teamTormund

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I'm trying to figure out if they're going to find a way to teleport him to Essos to kill Tyrion or something.

I have zero doubt something along those lines has cropped up in writer discussions.

"Could we maybe have a scene where Dany is dreaming/hallucinating about being in Westeros again, and suddenly Ramsay is there, raping her? What do you think, Dave?"

"That does make sense, Dave."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ramsey wouldn't rape Dany because Dany is the big bad guy at the end of the story.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

If Lyanna had survived, my guess is that she would have still shipped the boy with one of the Kingsguard and remained behind, because she knew Robert was temperamental and would have the kid kill because "gently caress you Rhaegar", and if she escaped with the child Robert would have people looking for her. She could tell Robert she had a miscarriage and the fanfiction can go on and on from this point.

The real Jon Snow was in another castle.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Given Dany's taste in man, maybe the ending will be Dany on the Iron Throne with Ramsay being her king-consort. She can burn people alive, he flays them, they can rape woman together, sounds like the perfect couple.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Its really stupid how the show views succession by essentially peasants.

1. Dorne: The sand snakes (bastards) kill the ruling family and take control even though thry have no land or armies. Right. No other Lords in Dorne even think to challenge their rule.

2. Dany burns down a sacred city. Everyone follows her despite her still being basically a defenseless prisoner in that city. Great she set the city on fire, now what? No other dothraki challenge her or attempt to become a khal now that the rest are gone?

3. Merreen: Dany peaces the scene on her dragon and leaves behind a foreign dwarf that no one knows, a foreign eunech that no one knows, the commander of an army that cant keep the peace against peasants with knives and a glorified translator. None of the citizens care.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The north is still the best thing in the show. Jon-Sansa-Melisandre-Tormund-Brienne-Pod-Davos is the most awesome unthinkable party ever. But lol at Sansa not even asking Jon about his ressurection

And Dany stunt was indeed pretty silly, come on. From the fire spreading so quickly, her being lireally fireproof, the khals not even trying to stop her from turning more torches on the ground, and the whole dothraki people immediately accepting her as their new god-khal.

But at this rate, Ive come to accept and expect that Dany's arc works that way. Her real magical power is not about being fireproof or controlling dragons, is about bending the reality around her in her favor. Any setback will always almost instantly be turned over with little effort and she then comes out 100x stronger than she was before.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 16, 2016

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Really, genuinely hope that we get a Tormund x Brienne sex scene. Don't care what else happens

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dude when a bitch walks out of a burning building with black loving eyes you bow down or you're next.

Also I really like all the added touches and changes to the opening sequence over the seasons.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TommyGun85 posted:

Its really stupid how the show views succession by essentially peasants.

1. Dorne: The sand snakes (bastards) kill the ruling family and take control even though thry have no land or armies. Right. No other Lords in Dorne even think to challenge their rule.

2. Dany burns down a sacred city. Everyone follows her despite her still being basically a defenseless prisoner in that city. Great she set the city on fire, now what? No other dothraki challenge her or attempt to become a khal now that the rest are gone?

3. Merreen: Dany peaces the scene on her dragon and leaves behind a foreign dwarf that no one knows, a foreign eunech that no one knows, the commander of an army that cant keep the peace against peasants with knives and a glorified translator. None of the citizens care.

These are all dumb but Mereen is the worst. I wonder if anyone even knows Tyrion's name, I doubt Daenyras even remembers it but "sure whatever you can be my ambassador." I haven't heard any of them say it aside from Jorah.

Please just let Essos sink into the sea and Tyrion and Varys somehow get the only boat back to Westeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
this thread should have been in the hut with all the khals

• Locked thread