Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

theultimo posted:

Remember VCD's from Asia? Those had no penetration in North America yet huge in Asia. It was a terrible format

VCD was awesome, have a nice stack of Chinese movies in them from the mid-90's with lovely HK Government subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theultimo posted:

Remember VCD's from Asia? Those had no penetration in North America yet huge in Asia. It was a terrible format

tell that to my highschool cam rip business. i figured out how to fit 2 movies on a disc and had bundles like big daddy/freddy got fingered or Hackers/Antitrust. my piece de resistance was The Matrix/Equilibrium

and custom menus and poo poo. so much free time

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had no idea Blu-rays are intentionally that poo poo. Dodged that bullet like I wouldn't go near an Xbox.

For a while VCDs were good as it existed in that weird time between VHS and DVDs where VCDs had a movie and show catalogue that was unheard of until the rise of internet streaming becoming viable letting the whole world watch anything almost anywhere.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oohhboy posted:

I had no idea Blu-rays are intentionally that poo poo.

They usually aren't that bad, and like I said it's mostly Japan which is super-anal about their IP, although some Blu-ray discs can be pretty bad about hard-to-skip trailers (which will stream from online if possible so at least you'll get actually recent stuff?). I've watched almost everything via Netflix or iTunes lately because at least the movie starts playing immediately, it's not as if I have a 4K Dolby Atmos system to really show off higher-than-streaming bitrates anyway.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i find the difference in bitrate between streaming and bluray pretty noticeable sometimes, particularly with macroblocking in low light scenes

the sad thing is i think netflix could probably fix that without going all the way to bluray level bitrates but i guess most people just dont give a poo poo

to tie it into the topic, this is why the push for 4k is such a joke to me, nothing except uhd blurays have the bitrate to make it worth it

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

HyperPuma posted:

i find the difference in bitrate between streaming and bluray pretty noticeable sometimes, particularly with macroblocking in low light scenes

the sad thing is i think netflix could probably fix that without going all the way to bluray level bitrates but i guess most people just dont give a poo poo

to tie it into the topic, this is why the push for 4k is such a joke to me, nothing except uhd blurays have the bitrate to make it worth it

I almost decided to go all digital with movies because discs were such a hassle lol

Then I decided to watch a blu-ray immediately after Netflix and the different was super obvious and insane

Now I'm back on the blu-ray bandwagon and yeah, less interested in 4K since it seems like that's gonna be almost entirely a streaming thing. Does 4K streaming even look as good as 1080p blu-ray?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

You'd be surprised what x265 can do, although you have to do the ripping/encoding yourself currently. The streaming services use H264 due to licensing/hardware compatibility (and don't even do everything that's capable of) and trend towards lower bitrates because they are far less likely to get complaints about slight macroblocking than they are about "why isn't this playing on my 5 megabit internet connection".

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Nintendo says they're not doing a direct at E3 at all this year. It's literally 100% Zelda, and nothing else.

Nintendo, I'm mad at you. We're fighting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Nintendo says they're not doing a direct at E3 at all this year. It's literally 100% Zelda, and nothing else.

Nintendo, I'm mad at you. We're fighting.

Yeah but they do the Nintendo Direct very frequently, so it evens out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo has Pokemon Sun and Moon to carry them through the Holiday season. That stuff will be at E3, just not at the Zelda booth.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

You'd be surprised what x265 can do, although you have to do the ripping/encoding yourself currently. The streaming services use H264 due to licensing/hardware compatibility (and don't even do everything that's capable of) and trend towards lower bitrates because they are far less likely to get complaints about slight macroblocking than they are about "why isn't this playing on my 5 megabit internet connection".

And av1 codec is coming in 2017 and is supposed to be better still than h.265, but free. It has Intel, AMD, Arm, Nvidia, Google, Netflix, Amazon, Microsoft, Mozilla and Cisco on board. The only one missing is Apple, that I can think of.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

And av1 codec is coming in 2017 and is supposed to be better still than h.265, but free. It has Intel, AMD, Arm, Nvidia, Google, Netflix, Amazon, Microsoft, Mozilla and Cisco on board. The only one missing is Apple, that I can think of.

Oh kickass. Gonna encode all my 4K movies to fit on floppy disks.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If Sony and Microsoft can both give final approval to have games this janky land on store shelves just last month, how can they expect me to believe this won't be the norm going forward for all the suckers who don't want to pay another $399?

EDIT: Late-night Grammar error.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 6, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A good poster posted:

If Sony and Microsoft can both give final approval to have games this janky land on store shelves just last month, how can they expect me believe this won't be the norm going forward for all the suckers who don't want to pay another $399?

Sony's been very weird. They traditionally had very strict rules about the kinds of games they would even consider. If memory serves you had to make a 3D game (2D sprite-based games were a no-no) in the early PS1 days, until Capcom showed them what was possible for the Mega Man X series. This gen they've been way more hands-off but almost to the point of excess. And now they are being very strict about performance with the PSVR, and allegedly imposing some minimum performance criteria for the Neo.

Microsoft is some combination of desperate and giving zero fucks about the actual quality of anything on their platform.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

univbee posted:

Sony's been very weird. They traditionally had very strict rules about the kinds of games they would even consider. If memory serves you had to make a 3D game (2D sprite-based games were a no-no) in the early PS1 days, until Capcom showed them what was possible for the Mega Man X series.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure Capcom said "Well, if you won't take it, I'm sure it'll run well on the Saturn", and they weren't going to do that for a franchise as big as Mega Man.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

univbee posted:

Sony's been very weird. They traditionally had very strict rules about the kinds of games they would even consider. If memory serves you had to make a 3D game (2D sprite-based games were a no-no) in the early PS1 days, until Capcom showed them what was possible for the Mega Man X series. This gen they've been way more hands-off but almost to the point of excess. And now they are being very strict about performance with the PSVR, and allegedly imposing some minimum performance criteria for the Neo.

Microsoft is some combination of desperate and giving zero fucks about the actual quality of anything on their platform.

To be fair, strict performance guidelines are a requirement for VR because if the frame rate is wonky then it could have really bad side effects to the user. I think that if Sony had strict performance guidelines with the PS4 to begin with then they wouldn't even need the NEO. I believe the NEO is a answer to developers calling for more powerful hardware in order to brute force their poor optimization and QA testing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Wheany posted:

loving Apple, I swear

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

univbee posted:

It might have been a rumour or something, but i remember hearing that originally there were to be no RPGs on the western ps1 (not suitable for the audience or some poo poo), until FF7 came out and rpgs were now fine, give us all your rpgs, rpgs here everyone.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

To be fair, strict performance guidelines are a requirement for VR because if the frame rate is wonky then it could have really bad side effects to the user. I think that if Sony had strict performance guidelines with the PS4 to begin with then they wouldn't even need the NEO. I believe the NEO is a answer to developers calling for more powerful hardware in order to brute force their poor optimization and QA testing.

This is something I've wondered about myself but I'm still not certain developers would make this complaint unless they're really short-sighted. Honestly the biggest offender here is middleware, most notably Unity which is such garbage that is has been bloating up with overhead faster than Windows with each release. They can't keep up with all their supported platforms either. If you're ever wondering why a 2D or simple 3D game isn't running well on a piece of hardware that should be able to handle it, chances are it uses Unity and the developer didn't quite know their poo poo.

gently caress Unity and gently caress that mobile firm that wanted me to write productivity apps using it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TheScott2K posted:

loving Apple, I swear

I'm not worried about Apple not being on board.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

bloodychill posted:

This is something I've wondered about myself but I'm still not certain developers would make this complaint unless they're really short-sighted. Honestly the biggest offender here is middleware, most notably Unity which is such garbage that is has been bloating up with overhead faster than Windows with each release. They can't keep up with all their supported platforms either. If you're ever wondering why a 2D or simple 3D game isn't running well on a piece of hardware that should be able to handle it, chances are it uses Unity and the developer didn't quite know their poo poo.

This looks like a problem shared with every single platform with every single "game maker" ever, see Shoot em' Up Construction Kit, Adventure Construction Set... (yeah, I know, I'm old).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

megalodong posted:

It might have been a rumour or something, but i remember hearing that originally there were to be no RPGs on the western ps1 (not suitable for the audience or some poo poo), until FF7 came out and rpgs were now fine, give us all your rpgs, rpgs here everyone.

Was FFVII the first PS1 RPG released in the West? That doesn't sound right. Not to mention getting Square on-board with the PS1 was hugely instrumental in the PS1 having the insane success that it did.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

limaCAT posted:

This looks like a problem shared with every single platform with every single "game maker" ever, see Shoot em' Up Construction Kit, Adventure Construction Set... (yeah, I know, I'm old).
Bill Budge gonna getcha for not mentioning Pinball Construction Set

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CrashCat posted:

Bill Budge gonna getcha for not mentioning Pinball Construction Set

Nearly nobody used Pinball Construction Set, so everything made in it was a masterpiece.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

univbee posted:

Was FFVII the first PS1 RPG released in the West? That doesn't sound right. Not to mention getting Square on-board with the PS1 was hugely instrumental in the PS1 having the insane success that it did.

The first one was Beyond the Beyond I think, actually published by Sony too. Wild Arms I think came out the summer before FFVII as well.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling the PS4.5 is going to nudge me into picking up a PS4 of some flavor.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how different the performance between the original and new ones is and what they decide to set the MSRP at

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have a feeling the PS4.5 is going to nudge me into picking up a PS4 of some flavor.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how different the performance between the original and new ones is and what they decide to set the MSRP at

Sony's gonna pull a repeat of their last "we've got the market on lock now!" move and price it at 599 US dollars.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wasn't king's field the first rpg because it was a launch title? Though it's not traditional jrpg though.

Here you go

http://videodyssey.blogspot.com/2013/05/playstations-past-ps1-rpgs-before-final.html?m=1

Kings field came 5 months after launch. So launch window.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 9, 2016

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

limaCAT posted:

unity isnt a 'game maker', it's an engine. it's just one that only really works well on pc. it's big selling feature is the sheer number of platforms it can export to (pc, web browser, iphone, android, ps4, xbox, smart tv's etc) while keeping the work needed minimal, but unless you've started work with that platform in mind it almost always has issues which are very difficult to debug.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Both Microsoft and Sony will have their E3 conferences on June 13th, 4 weeks from now.

Nintendo won't be revealing the NX at E3, Tokyo Game Show in September is probably a likely time for them to do that assuming they don't just do their own thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Both Microsoft and Sony will have their E3 conferences on June 13th, 4 weeks from now.

Nintendo won't be revealing the NX at E3, Tokyo Game Show in September is probably a likely time for them to do that assuming they don't just do their own thing.

someone said that nintendo doesn't go to TGS ever earlier in this thread or a similar one. i didn't fact check it tho

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's more likely some Tuesday in the winter we'll wake up to a tweet from Nintendo saying "Tune in on Thursday at 5PM EDT for the unveiling of the NX" with no prior warning.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

univbee posted:

No idea tbh. I read it in a magazine back in whatever year FF7 released in (so like 1997 or whatever it was), could have been complete bullcrap and probably was. Maybe it was JRPGs rather than RPGs in general or something?

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

megalodong posted:

No idea tbh. I read it in a magazine back in whatever year FF7 released in (so like 1997 or whatever it was), could have been complete bullcrap and probably was. Maybe it was JRPGs rather than RPGs in general or something?
Suikoden and Persona both came out in NA in 1996, almost a year before FFVII.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Patter Song posted:

It's more likely some Tuesday in the winter we'll wake up to a tweet from Nintendo saying "Tune in on Thursday at 5PM EDT for the unveiling of the NX" with no prior warning.

Sounds like a plan. :munch:

If PS4K is happening it seems Sony is trying to minimize the time between formal announcement and release as much as possible to minimize the damage from a sales dip. 2nd half of September is probably the most likely time for a launch given the leaked rumors about Neo support mandates, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did a Final Fantasy XV bundle or at least launched on the same day.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 17, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL if anybody still thinks P4K does 4K. New King of the hill, the Nvidia 1080 still isn't good enough for 4K. It rips poo poo up at 1080 and 1440 though quite nicely.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oohhboy posted:

LOL if anybody still thinks P4K does 4K. New King of the hill, the Nvidia 1080 still isn't good enough for 4K. It rips poo poo up at 1080 and 1440 though quite nicely.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review

Yea

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oohhboy posted:

Also Intel will apparently be introducing a decacore "consumer-level" CPU. Consumer-level in this case meaning the processor still costs over $1500USD. :retrogames:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

4K gaming is not going to happen anytime soon. At best the new PS4 if it actually exists, will just scale the resolution. No one that has reported on this thing has credible sources to back it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

4K gaming is not going to happen anytime soon. At best the new PS4 if it actually exists, will just scale the resolution. No one that has reported on this thing has credible sources to back it up.

I expect games with indie-tier graphics to do 4K, and I could see non-3D games like a traditional-style RPG to go 4K as well, but I agree that we're not going to see anything ridiculously impressive running much higher than 1080p.

• Locked thread