Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

i regret posting

i regret your posting too :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hopefully the voice acting can be modded into something more bizarre.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wish video games had never evolved to the point where voice acting was included.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Mega64 posted:

Hopefully the voice acting can be modded into something more bizarre.

Replace all voice acting with text to speech

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

I wish video games had never evolved to the point where voice acting was included.

I don't know about that, I never would've been as emotionally affected by "Moms are tough" if it weren't uttered out loud by Hope's dead mom using actual spoken words.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Super No Vacancy posted:

the voice acting is fine except for Tidus, who sucks

This but Tidus is fine also.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bravely Second has very nice voice acting, Edea and Yew put in great performances in particular.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If you don't use the Japanese voice track for Bravely Second I don't know what to say

Oh, wait, I know

Good gravy!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sinterniklaas makes such a better Yew than Namikawa does it's ridiculous.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
mrgrgr owns all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Sinterniklaas makes such a better Yew than Namikawa does it's ridiculous.

Yeah, Yew's English voice owns bones and is pretty much perfect.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dude also played Orphan in FF13!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If you don't use the Japanese voice track for Bravely Second I don't know what to say

Oh, wait, I know

Good gravy!

It means you don't want to hear Namikawa do a lovely generic voice when he's much better

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Oh, wait, I know

Good gravy!

Hm... get the gently caress out of my house.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't like your dub. It sucks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the framerate in encounters in the PC port of ff9 really loving bad or is this just how the game is. I haven't played it in over a decade.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is the game

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I will never not be baffled by Yuna being perfectly fine in X-2, Hedy Burress improving as a VA by a great leap over the years, and then when it's time for Dissidia 012 they went "Hey, remember how you sounded awkward as gently caress for your first VA role? Well do that again, okay?"

The GIG fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 17, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Hamsterlady posted:

The worst voice actor is easily Yuna, who has no emotions whatsoever in any of her lines.

Other than her, I thought they were all acceptable, if taking a noticeable dip when lip flaps were complicated.

Yuna only gets Real Emotion in FFX-2, and even then not really :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baal posted:

That is the game

Are battles going to take forever to load in like the original too?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The GIG posted:

I will never not be baffled by Yuna being perfectly fine in X-2, Hedy Burress improving as a VA by a great leap over the years, and then when it's time for Dissidia 2 they went "Hey, remember how you sounded awkward as gently caress for your first VA role? Well do that again, okay?"

Because Voice directors are the real make-or-break of dubs. You can make mediocre talent sound great with the right direction and situations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She was very good as Rosie in VC

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are battles going to take forever to load in like the original too?

I'm p sure battle loads are fine and even then the speed up feature should make some of that a non-issue

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Tae posted:

Because Voice directors are the real make-or-break of dubs. You can make mediocre talent sound great with the right direction and situations.

I know, I meant what kind of director thought hamstringing her was a good idea. J.A.T. sounds great as Tidus in those games, why keep Yuna so garbage?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The GIG posted:

I know, I meant what kind of director thought hamstringing her was a good idea. J.A.T. sounds great as Tidus in those games, why keep Yuna so garbage?

A million factors. Lack of time, money, being a cold-read, having the wrong read on a character, etc. The voice director probably had a fraction of the salary and the time to put together the entire Disgaea 2 dub out compared to the average Square Enix game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After fifteen long years...I finally did it...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Congratulations on satisfying the giant blue whale lady.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The GIG posted:

It's very possible the voice direction was to once again imitate the JP Voice Actors and Japanese Yuna sounds about as bad as FFX Hedy Buress. Also, it's FFX Yuna and it's very possible she either decided to be true to what the character sounded like at that point or the ADR Director was given specific instruction to make her sound like she did back then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also as much as I love Kazuya Nakai he sounds like poo poo as Wakka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFEiRR2YDMs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The remaster really shows off the great clothing design in this game:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The Japanese voice acting is largely worse. Tidus and Yuna both have much worse actors in Japanese than they do in the US.

I don't understand Japanese so unless it's Goku's japanese voice I could care less whether or not the Japanese voices are "good". Maybe some of the other characters have good voice actors but when the main character is so lovely, I'm not gonna waste the time to figure it out. Tidus's english voice is like Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World levels of bad, I don't understand how anybody could've thought this was good when it originally came out.

bloodychill posted:

The main plus to Japanese VA regardless of acting quality is that not understanding them means you get the closest experience to no VA at all and can just read the dialog with no audio distraction, just like old games.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 17, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Edit: Quote is not edit.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 17, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't understand Japanese so unless it's Goku's japanese voice I could care less whether or not the Japanese voices are "good". Maybe some of the other characters have good voice actors but when the main character is so lovely, I'm not gonna waste the time to figure it out. Tidus's english voice is like Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World levels of bad, I don't understand how anybody could've thought this was good when it originally came out.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're loving dumb.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

i love goon hyperbole

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope you didn't actually alt+f4 during the opening because it's really weird that a guy talking could bother you that much

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The second Tidus opened his baka mouth in the inferior American dub I unsheathed my katana and sliced my monitor in two. Lucky for me, I have dual monitors.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Replace all of Tidus's dialogue with his fake laugh.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

literally heard a word of english coming out of the character's mouth and i threw my computer out the window

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I heard a word of english not pronounced the way I wanted it to with the correct inflection and switched it to my superior nihongo overlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I can only ignore bad acting in a foreign language. If I hear bad acting in a language I understand I am forced to listen to every word and cannot do a thing about it. A man comes to my house and punches me if I press the mute button.