Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's a rough guideline that works fine for people who have relatively sedentary lifestyles and want to lose weight. Obviously, if you're pretty physically active then it'd be unsuitable, but someone in that situation is unlikely to be looking for basic fitness advice on the internet so...

10x weight in lb or 20x weight in kg gives two different figures, both unhealthy for anyone who isn't a blob. Stick to 1800-2000 calories per day and make sure they're made up of the right things rather than processed crap. You'll need these calories for the increased physical activity you almost certainly need to be doing.

Look at what you eat and how much of it you eat. Portion control can be very difficult for people who love alone, but eating well is an easy thing anyone can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Jippa posted:

If you really hate that stuff even just going on two really long walks at the weekend (meaning you don't have to go to a gym multiple times a week or own any equipment at home). Just do anything.
Dont drive so I walk or cycle, getting lots of nookie at the moment, never been overweight, ive honestly never understood why people have to make a point of exercising (unless you have a particular physical problem), its pretty simple, dont eat to much and move around a bit sometimes. Dont get me wrong im not making a hate campaign against people who like to work out its just an alien mindset to me, dont see the point of it, but enjoy yourself I guess!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A sex-haver! Get him!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

Running is very boring, swimming is fun, I would swim a lot if I owned a pool.

Pools are very high maintenance. I can't imagine that the convenience of being able to swim after hours is worth it

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A sex-haver! Get him!
Why do you want some? ;)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Seaside Loafer posted:

Dont drive so I walk or cycle, getting lots of nookie at the moment, never been overweight, ive honestly never understood why people have to make a point of exercising (unless you have a particular physical problem), its pretty simple, dont eat to much and move around a bit sometimes. Dont get me wrong im not making a hate campaign against people who like to work out its just an alien mindset to me, dont see the point of it, but enjoy yourself I guess!

Because being active makes you fit as well as thin and you will live longer and have better quality of life.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I personally don't like exercise for the sake of it like lifting or running but I find climbing a great form if exercise since it's so goal-based (also makes you feel pretty good and athletic climbing even easy poo poo) cycling to commute is also great and I've got fatter since I moved within walking distance as opposed to cycling.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Namtab posted:

10x weight in lb or 20x weight in kg gives two different figures, both unhealthy for anyone who isn't a blob. Stick to 1800-2000 calories per day

I weigh 90kg / 200lb WHAT NOW HUH

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

people who love alone

the most romantic description of the UKMT I've ever heard.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

You make a point of exercising, because you don't drive.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Party Boat posted:

You're perfect as you are.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

ty namtab

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I also find exercise to be something of a chore despite spending several weekends a year haring around forests with fake swords, so I do sprint training for cardio and have a small collection of home equipment so I can blast out 20 mins of exercise after work.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I actually enjoy running, it's horrible to start with but after a few weeks at it becomes easy. It makes me feel great, look great and is wonderful for my mental health to boot.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It is the duty of all leftwingers to get as swole as possible so as to increase the revolutionary masses.

Actually I'm lazy as hell and apart from 15 minute walks each day at work I do nothing regularly.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Party Boat posted:

:hfive:

Also the correct answer is to eat more and lift more.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

Running is very boring, swimming is fun, I would swim a lot if I owned a pool.

I like swimming because I can't get sweaty, so nobody can comment on it
:goonsay:

Pity the public pool is so expensive.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Seaside Loafer posted:

For lots of people it's not that simple and... I guess you have to learn to enjoy it or you'll be throughly miserable. Powerlifting is fun though, in a kind of toddler way.

Here's an article about the American Biggest Losers

quote:

“It is frightening and amazing,” said Dr. Hall, an expert on metabolism at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, which is part of the National Institutes of Health. “I am just blown away.”

It has to do with resting metabolism, which determines how many calories a person burns when at rest. When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes.

Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

Mr. Cahill was one of the worst off. As he regained more than 100 pounds, his metabolism slowed so much that, just to maintain his current weight of 295 pounds, he now has to eat 800 calories a day less than a typical man his size. Anything more turns to fat.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rolled Cabbage posted:

For lots of people it's not that simple and... I guess you have to learn to enjoy it or you'll be throughly miserable. Powerlifting is fun though, in a kind of toddler way.

Here's an article about the American Biggest Losers

That's one of the reasons that weightlifting is recommended to people who want to lose weight, since in addition to using up calories you will put on lean muscle mass, which uses more energy than fat thus increasing your basal metabolic rate so the amount of calories you can consume before gaining weight doesn't change too much.

Purely cutting calories and doing cardio can put you in a dieting 'death spiral' where as you lose weight your BMR goes down, so you constantly have to eat less and less permanently to maintain your body weight which some people can't/won't do.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

im the Guy on the left who is Strasserite (Hugo Boss aesthetic, natch) standing next to our red brothers.

I don't understand how you haven't been ran out of this thread with your "literally a nazi" gimmick.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Thanks for reminding me I need to actually use my gym membership now and again you tossers. Although with the direction the world is going I don't think an extended lifespan is something to aspire towards.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Thanks for reminding me I need to actually use my gym membership now and again you tossers. Although with the direction the world is going I don't think an extended lifespan is something to aspire towards.
when the revolution comes, the strong and the fast will prosper

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Weight lifting looks dumb and boring to me, but I spend a couple of hours a week training by hanging by my fingers from what is more or less a fancy door frame, so I don't feel I'm in a position to throw stones (I'd fall off).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Stop paying money to not go into a building

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Exercising is loving boring
You've never worked out hard enough. The only thought or feeling i'm capable of having halfway through a work out usually is "i'm gonna vomit".

I will concede that a long slow run can be mentally taxing, but that's what audiobooks are for.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

That's one of the reasons that weightlifting is recommended to people who want to lose weight, since in addition to using up calories you will put on lean muscle mass, which uses more energy than fat thus increasing your basal metabolic rate so the amount of calories you can consume before gaining weight doesn't change too much.

Purely cutting calories and doing cardio can put you in a dieting 'death spiral' where as you lose weight your BMR goes down, so you constantly have to eat less and less permanently to maintain your body weight which some people can't/won't do.

Recommended by who though? The internet, men's health magazines?

The reason the researchers were so suprised is that weightlifting is just not part of the medical consensus. When I was in rehab (phys., not drugs) we were only ever told to do cardio. Although admittedly I was there for non-weight related reasons.

Even when I was diagnosed as type two diabetic (mistakenly, yeah, apparently being nearly dead will do that), the advice from the NHS was eat lots of plain starches like bread and pasta and do cardio i.e. 'death spiral'.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

You do exercise then. You are one of those people who made fun of the brainy kids at school but secretly did extra homework on the sly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rolled Cabbage posted:

The reason the researchers were so suprised is that weightlifting is just not part of the medical consensus. When I was in rehab (phys., not drugs) we were only ever told to do cardio. Although admittedly I was there for non-weight related reasons.

Even when I was diagnosed as type two diabetic (mistakenly, yeah, apparently being nearly dead will do that), the advice from the NHS was eat lots of plain starches like bread and pasta and do cardio i.e. 'death spiral'.

Admittedly IANAD(ietician) and most of my information is from stuff like Practical Programming for Strength Training, so it might be a healthy dollop of broscience.

I do wonder if the recommendations are based on what people are likely to stick with though, since as discussed earlier its a lot easier and cheaper to take up running than start heavy weight training which involves a gym membership or a big initial outlay & learning complex movements.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Got a bunch of leaflets through the post on the EU referendum today. There was the typical guff from the two campaigns, but also a leaflet advertising a free book promising 'The Biblical Perspective' on the EU. I'm almost tempted to take up the offer and see what sort of batshit is in store, Scripture has played too small a role in the referendum campaign imho.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I much prefer lifting weights in the gym to going running, because running is really boring and repetitive, but weight training is a series of short-term goal-oriented tasks that you can feel good about after each set. The things that are easiest to stick with though are probably social things like spin classes or yoga. Maybe running is more fun with a club than by yourself I dunno

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I would imagine medical people recommend cardio because it's easier to do safely and doesn't require equipment. Things like squatting and dead lifting are incredibly beneficial for your whole body (including your heart etc) but with out the right training you can injure yourself.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HorseLord posted:

I don't understand how you haven't been ran out of this thread with your "literally a nazi" gimmick.

Unfortunately we can't literally put people up against walls on the Internet (well, mods aside I guess) or there's a couple of people I'd love to see purged from the thread.

Exercise-wise, I walk to work every day, half an hour each way. Seems to mostly keep the pounds off.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

The big problem with health/sport sciences is that they're extremely compromised by capitalism, because any universal consensus would automatically shut down the potential for conflicting "truths". Not to say that doing cardio or weights are bad for you, but it doesn't help when an issue of a health magazine has information directly condradicted in the next edition.

(don't look to me for advice though -- I'm long unable to do proper exercise due to all the horrible poo poo I've got at the mo)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I find long distance running really relaxing, after about twenty minutes I get into this serene mindset that sticks with me for the rest of the run and usually for the rest of the day. It's a great stress reliever.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Crameltonian posted:

Got a bunch of leaflets through the post on the EU referendum today. There was the typical guff from the two campaigns, but also a leaflet advertising a free book promising 'The Biblical Perspective' on the EU. I'm almost tempted to take up the offer and see what sort of batshit is in store, Scripture has played too small a role in the referendum campaign imho.

tl;dr

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crameltonian posted:

Same. It can't be worse than the current crap that's being peddled as justification.

To quote from some scripture that's more in line with the thread "There is not, there cannot be, a State without religion. Take the freest States in the world—the United States of America or the Swiss Confederation, for instance—and see what an important part is played in all official discourses by divine Providence, that supreme sanction of all States. But whenever a chief of State speaks of God, be he William I., the Knouto-Germanic emperor, or Grant, the president of the great republic, be sure that he is getting ready to shear once more his people-flock."

That may have been true when Bakunin wrote it in the 19th century, and possibly still in recent cases like Blair's mental episode, but there has been no real appeal to religion by either side in this debate. Sounds progressive and good, but in reality all it means is that other nebulous (and possibly more dangerous) values have been waved around as a rallying flag to shear the people-flock, like "our sovereignty!" or "Britain stronger!"

e:
That's great because those verses could equally well be saying "The EU needs the Gospel, not Brexit" without any change in interpretation. :allears:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 18, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsEU/status/732885007262449665

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Admittedly IANAD(ietician) and most of my information is from stuff like Practical Programming for Strength Training, so it might be a healthy dollop of broscience.

I do wonder if the recommendations are based on what people are likely to stick with though, since as discussed earlier its a lot easier and cheaper to take up running than start heavy weight training which involves a gym membership or a big initial outlay & learning complex movements.

Jippa posted:

I would imagine medical people recommend cardio because it's easier to do safely and doesn't require equipment. Things like squatting and dead lifting are incredibly beneficial for your whole body (including your heart etc) but with out the right training you can injure yourself.

I don't disagree with you guys, but ultimately if the advice is making the situation worse... it's not worth giving the advice in the first place.

Thing is, there is a lot of cash (suprisingly) in the NHS for preventative/rehabilitative exercise. I probably spent about 1 year in total attending NHS exercise sessions every week. If there is room for specialised yoga and swimming (which had to be taught to us because of our injuries), then I'm sure there is room for supervised weights based work for people with obesity related problems.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jippa posted:

You do exercise then. You are one of those people who made fun of the brainy kids at school but secretly did extra homework on the sly.
I think his point is that he doesn't see any intrinsic pleasure in exercise - exercise for a purpose (ie as part of your job or commute) or for some extrinsic pleasure (enjoying scenery, playing sports, etc.), sure, but nothing about exercise itself that makes going through the pain barrier worth it. I'm the same boat boat, to be honest. I've lost a couple of stone over that last four years, at least - being a helper at a science centre involves a lot of walking and turning of handles to make exhibits work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

She needs Christ's love, not a new maternity unit.

• Locked thread