Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, past events really have hosed up that boy so even his memories of who's who would be unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i just don't see what possible reason they could have for including that twist on top of twists, it'd be way too convoluted especially considering we only have like 5 episodes left.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wish Tokimune was alive and also really hot so I could make a Dokidmune joke.

I guess Tokimekimune is possible too but that's too long.

Or her could be nerdy so I could call him Dorkymune.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Futaba Anzu posted:

i just don't see what possible reason they could have for including that twist on top of twists, it'd be way too convoluted especially considering we only have like 5 episodes left.

Considering that this show is this show, it wouldn't even slightly surprise me if this was just an intentional continuity error to be played with for a while to confuse viewers who are paying close attention, and then dropped like a rock like the "Speedstar doesn't actually exist" stuff early on.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was there even anything to "Speedstar doesn't exist" or was it just speculation based on him only interacting with Mitsumune at first and Mitsumune being a weirdo who none of us thought could have friends? I forget if there was more it it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Was there even anything to "Speedstar doesn't exist" or was it just speculation based on him only interacting with Mitsumune at first and Mitsumune being a weirdo who none of us thought could have friends? I forget if there was more it it.

Goons.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The same hints that could've pointed to "Speedstar doesn't exist" point just as well to "Speedstar is obsessed with Mitsumune", which we now know to be true, so it was just goons getting carried away.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Roland Jones posted:

Friends is an interesting way of describing their relationship.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! I cheered when the bus came back lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

You, ah, you doing okay there, Dahara?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Toshiboy sucks, Nankowns, Dahara is rapidly losing control of his life. A good ep.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Lovepon continues to be the purest goddess in all of anime.

The Devil Tesla posted:

New episode! I cheered when the bus came back lol

That moment killed me. The return of Assbound no Judgeness was also great.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

play spot the animation gently caress up

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that was interesting. Also I like how Lion and Nanko, two I picked out from the beginning as ones I thought I'd like, have turned out to indeed be cool and are now the reasonable, not-lovely people team. Koharun and Valkana ( the latter of whom I did not like at the beginning but won me over) are also good and seem to be another regular team at this point (and to which Dahara is not invited), so that's good too.

Cake Attack posted:

play spot the animation gently caress up

Hey, Koharun's one of the good characters, so twice the Koharun can only be a good thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Judgeness putting his minecraft skills to use

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I love that Masaki's superpower is apparently not having a tragic enough anime backstory.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
A lot of good stuff this episode.

Bus out of nowhere!
She's not a ghost... Wait, that's bullshit, she's probably a ghost, we should stab her!
I wish I had a stupid idiot like Mitsumune!
Maybe she doesn't have a lovely past like we're all trying to forget!
Return of the Assbound!

I hope team Lionanko does well :3:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, I just realized that apparently Misaki actually has the "power" I was speculating Nanko might have an episode or so ago (while Nanko herself basically admitted here that no, she has some lovely past too). I was half-joking about that before but that actually being a thing here is hilarious.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
They were pretty blatant about not showing cousin's face in the flashback, suggesting that it may be someone we already know

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Many TV detectives have a tic that helps them put the facts of a case together and come to a conclusion. Columbo would rub his temples; Oreki from Hyouka would pull down on his bangs.

Nanko grabs her love handles.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Japanese title for the next episode (Freezing in the Moonlight) is actually a pun. 月下氷人 (gekkahyoujin) refers to someone who plays the part of an intermediary; a matchmaker or Cupid figure.
And who do we have but Valkana, Koharun and Judgeness wielding a bow & arrow

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Welp, that's it. We're probably going to find Yottsun rapping in the trees somewhere in the nextr few episodes. And where's Wacky Jack, I wonder?

Yeesh, a bit more people are still on the "burn Masaki as a witch" than I thought would be still. Although I still get the sense that she is still being deliberately cagey about something. I mean, why didn't she go back home after getting lost the first time? Did she really not want to explain what happened to Reiji, or did she go along with him as a pretext for getting away from the family somehow? The way she talked about her father(?), it sounded like he might have been yakuza...were they abusive or criminal towards her? And how long ago was this, that she actually had to live in a town and work part time? Not to defend the actions of the group here, but Masaki still isn't telling everything... but maybe she'll open up to Mitsumune (assuming Speedstar doesn't bash her over the head with a rock the minute Mitsu's back is turned, of course).

Really interesting group dynamics emerging in the face of all the craziness... This show is good. It's a good show.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Feels like I'm lukewarm on the show compared to most of the thread. On the other hand, I am still watching because watching these nutcases bounce off each other is still entertaining. I guess at this point my complaint is that everything that's happened doesn't amount to much, and I don't expect it ever will. Already bracing for a wet fart of an ending, where no one dies including Yottsun, who's revealed to be the MC of their secretly filming gameshow.

tl;dr : the show is Total Drama Island, anime edition.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think it's pretty cool that the show has been able to be this exciting without having to really off anyone. I think they're all going to live.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not saying the show has to start a body count to be good. if anything that would be the most shocking twist possible. But something needs to shake up the status quo.

e: it would be shocking if no one died, is what I meant

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 22, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i still think yottsun's down for the count

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yottsun is the cousin. He just got really tan from being outside a lot walking home. Thus Misaki didn't recognize him.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He was just sleeping

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
alternatively yottsun's scared as gently caress for what he tried to do, and is hiding outside

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

brainwrinkle posted:

Yottsun is the cousin. He just got really tan from being outside a lot walking home. Thus Misaki didn't recognize him.

Wouldn't that imply he tried to bang his cousin?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

There Bias Two posted:

Wouldn't that imply he tried to bang his cousin?

Assuming he knew, it still wouldn't be that weird to Japanese viewers:

Elfen Lied Wiki posted:

A frequent catching point for American readers and viewers is the relationship between Kouta and Yuka. Cousin marriage in Japan is only 4 in 1000 couples, as compare 1 in 1000 for the United States, where even the restriction on first cousins is not universal. It is entirely legal, and not at all frowned upon, though it is not as common as it was during times past. First Cousins are considered the legal limit--any relationship with a relative closer than this is considered both illegal and immoral.
http://elfen-lied.wikia.com/wiki/Japanese_Culture_in_Elfen_Lied

Obviously, this is a fan wiki and so is probably wrong in every conceivable way, and contains spoilers for Elfen Lied, so don't read the wiki if you want to watch the show some day. We also don't know how closely cousined (for lack of a better word) Reiji and Masaki were.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 22, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
discouraging people from ever watching elfen lied is a noble cause

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

Assuming he knew, it still wouldn't be that weird to Japanese viewers:

http://elfen-lied.wikia.com/wiki/Japanese_Culture_in_Elfen_Lied

Obviously, this is a fan wiki and so is probably wrong in every conceivable way, and contains spoilers for Elfen Lied, so don't read the wiki if you want to watch the show some day. We also don't know how closely cousined (for lack of a better word) Reiji and Masaki were.

On the other hand, there's a sketch in Nichibros that only makes sense if being cousins is a reason not to have a romantic relationship.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elfen Lied is awful, and also incest is not a common thing in Japan based on what data I've been able to find with my Googling (which feels incredibly awkward). Making assumptions about Japan based on anime, or worse yet a fan wiki about a bad fetish anime, is not a good idea.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Are you telling me you spent time googling 'japanese incest' and haven't come back with a better story than that?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
EDIT: Never mind, this is a stupid response to a stupid topic regarding the response to a stupid joke theory.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 22, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god please stop

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
next time something comes up regarding japanese culture, please do not use the english elfen lied wiki as a resource for information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao i should have quoted that whole thing with the prime minster and everything

• Locked thread