Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
google IO starting in 2 minutes: https://events.google.com/io2016/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
more like google j/o

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776511 also i read their clock wrong lol u have another hour ooops

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i'm torn between calling your a dumb arse and blaming the google design

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

i'm torn between calling your a dumb arse and blaming the google design

no idea why you'd say their design is bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think it looks cool. just need mah coffee :coffee:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

COCC5C2? moments until it begins, what's confusing about that

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

help the tonal numbers are leaking out of the bitcoin thread

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Google admits in a patent filing that their robot cars will hit people. The patent filing is for a possible solution to that problem — fly paper!

Google patent protects pedestrians from self-driving cars
By Ethan Baron
POSTED: 05/17/2016 05:03:42 PM PDT

... "The adhesive layer may be a very sticky material and operate in a manner similar to flypaper, or double-sided duct tape," the patent said.

In its patent, Google acknowledged that robot cars will hit pedestrians -- until the technology gets to the point that the vehicles can "avoid all accidents."

... "The front region of the vehicle may be coated with a specialized adhesive that adheres to a pedestrian, and thus holds the pedestrian on the vehicle in the unfortunate event that the front of the vehicle comes into contact with the pedestrian," the patent said. "The adhesion of the pedestrian to the vehicle may prevent the pedestrian from bouncing off."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so basically, if a google car ever goes into a crowd of people, it will capture the first soft humans it finds in order to use as meat-shields to protect itself from subsequent impacts.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

they can't patent this, katamari damacy is prior art

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol, but to be fair if it has a far less likelihood of hitting a person and doesn't have some other externality like encouraging people to drive 100X more, thus increasing pedestrian fatalities anyway, then i'm kinda still in favour of a self-driving car.

but how that will work in places without state-run insurance seems like it will be a nightmare.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

lol, but to be fair if it has a far less likelihood of hitting a person and doesn't have some other externality like encouraging people to drive 100X more, thus increasing pedestrian fatalities anyway, then i'm kinda still in favour of a self-driving car.

but how that will work in places without state-run insurance seems like it will be a nightmare.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Google Comics

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

yard salad posted:

they can't patent this, katamari damacy is prior art

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

so, after a couple weeks there's a layer of dirt and leaves encasing your car?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yippee cahier posted:

Google will have forgotten about the entire thing by then

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Google will have forgotten about the entire thing by then

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

just saw this and, side-lol:

quote:

A Google spokeswoman said the existence of a patent doesn't necessarily mean a new product is coming. "We hold patents on a variety of ideas," she said. "Some of those ideas later mature into real products and services, some don't."

ufarn
May 30, 2009
can't wait to contract seven kinds of cancer from the proprietary googleglue

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to get trapped on the hood of a google car that is unaware it has hit me and continues on to its various destinations

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ahmeni posted:

I can't wait to get trapped on the hood of a google car that is unaware it has hit me and continues on to its various destinations

sounds like a future extreme sport

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sitting in a restaurant in mountain view, watching google io attendees discuss vr and social networks at the table next to me. goddamn these guys are punchable

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one guy just said "routing around the social problem".

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

sitting in a restaurant in mountain view, watching google io attendees discuss vr and social networks at the table next to me. goddamn these guys are punchable

ask if thye have stairs in their houses

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
update:
guy on the phone said "I'm hanging out in downtown mountain view" as if that was something impressive.

couple of guys in lyft shirts came by and one gave me a ride coupon.

nerds wearing startup tshirts are everywhere

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
so apparently their FaceTime ripoff actually shows you video of what the other person is doing before they answer

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

sitting in a restaurant in mountain view
lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

nerds wearing startup tshirts are everywhere

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
guy wearing google glass spotted. riding a bike

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yippee cahier posted:

more like a couple of minutes if the adhesive is strong enough to flypaper a human

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one guy literally said something about a 3D printer for biological material. that was related to vr somehow.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

one guy literally said something about a 3D printer for biological material. that was related to vr somehow.

its almost certainly a weird sex thing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

you wouldnt download a fleshlight

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

so apparently their FaceTime ripoff actually shows you video of what the other person is doing before they answer

*makes jerking off motions*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

computer parts posted:

lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

computer parts posted:

no loving way they're not that dumb

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Necc0 posted:

no loving way they're not that dumb

it shows you the caller. the person initiating the call who is expecting to be seen on video any second now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they also indicated it's linked to cellphone number, not necessarily a user account

which could mean unsolicited video being sent to anyone's phone!

unless it only works when you have the caller on your contacts already

• Locked thread