Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Road Warrior is exactly about the lengths people are willing to go for fuel and the whole aesthetic of the films would be completely different if a desperate shortage of gas and water stopped anyone in the movies from burning it up drag racing 24/7 around somebody's compound or dumping scores of gallons on the ground so they can have a group shower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I mean I like the idea of a Mad Max movie where everyone bicycles everywhere and the skull warlord gets a Prius to show what a badass he is but I don't think I'd actually watch it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I mean I like the idea of a Mad Max movie where everyone bicycles everywhere and the skull warlord gets a Prius to show what a badass he is but I don't think I'd actually watch it

I was thinking more of some kind of cyborg Elon Musk perched atop a fleet of Teslas with big lightning rods to catch lightning from all those turbostorms in the wasteland.

But the bicycle thing...what if it was some huge human-powered juggernaut, kind of like a land version of a trireme? :byodood: "PEDAL FASTER, YOU DOGS!"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's almost Turbokid. Just remove the Prius.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Panfilo posted:

You know, something else that they could explore in a sequel (that would be much more general and applicable ) is the whole guzzoline crisis.

I always remembered Mad Max movies as people fighting over Guzzoline. But in Fury Road water seemed much more critical. The only time guzzoline became relevant was when Furiosa was gonna barter the fuel pod for safe passage, and the People Eater complaining about how much guzzoline got spent. Of course we also don't know what Gastown's annual oil production is or anything like that. But it seemed like in Fury Road these resources were fairly stable, just isolated in the hands of the various warlords.

An interesting sequel would be where they really focus on how scarce guzzoline is, how critical it is for survival, and the lengths people are going to go to get it.

Water is rapidly becoming scarcer then gas in many parts of the world, hence the new focus on it as the critical resource.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Panfilo posted:

But the bicycle thing...what if it was some huge human-powered juggernaut, kind of like a land version of a trireme? :byodood: "PEDAL FASTER, YOU DOGS!"

I can see this perfectly, but powered by water wheel styled climbers like the elevator at the Citadel. Some sort of slow giant sand crawler with cannons. Human lives are worth less then gas water and food after all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speak for yourself.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Panfilo posted:

I was thinking more of some kind of cyborg Elon Musk perched atop a fleet of Teslas with big lightning rods to catch lightning from all those turbostorms in the wasteland.

Souls In The Great Machine has pedal-powered "galley" trains and computers powered by thousands of people with abacuses. Sounds lame when I put it like that, but it's another very worthy entry in the annals of australian post-apocalyptica.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

freebooter posted:

Max is a cipher. Every movie is always going to be built around the structure of the lone wanderer encountering some people, being reluctant to help them, eventually securing a better life for them and then melting off into the wasteland again. It's a very old trope from storytelling. Even the Man With No Name in the Eastwood films seems old now, but it dates all the way back to the idea of ronin or knights errant, probably further back than that.

It's also a neat little explanation for the reboot - for why Max is a different actor and why the events of the four films don't make chronological sense. You can think of Max as being a sort of legend of the wasteland, with all kinds of different heroes being mapped onto him as an icon.

Which is why I wouldn't want to see a sequel which is anything other than Max in his Interceptor again, encountering an entirely new location and set of characters. Furiosa, the wives, the Citadel - their story is over. You can think about the power vacuum and the adjustment of the Citadel into a more humane society, but is that really, actually, the kind of story you want to see in a sequel to Fury Road, which had such a brilliantly powerful yet simple story, built around a car chase? Of course not. On the other hand somebody further up wanted to see a Brotherhood-of-Steel style Chinese dropship so maybe you do.

All the movies after the original are framed this way. Max is that +1 bonus that gives just enough to turn the tide from a complete destruction to creating a thriving new society free from the remnants of the dead old world.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

David Bowie wrote an entire album based off that premise. The prologue to Diamond Dogs begins with the phrase "no more big wheels", and Bowie explained that it's the post-apocalypse, no one has gas-powered transit anymore so everyone's on bikes or on roller skates, a la William Burroughs titular The Wild Boys.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Young Freud posted:

David Bowie wrote an entire album based off that premise. The prologue to Diamond Dogs begins with the phrase "no more big wheels", and Bowie explained that it's the post-apocalypse, no one has gas-powered transit anymore so everyone's on bikes or on roller skates, a la William Burroughs titular The Wild Boys.

also solarbabies

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Paragon8 posted:

I think once it got rolling Fury Road was given carte blanche. It had a reported production budget of at least 150 million I think.

What would be difficult to replicate is the 10 years or so of pre-production of Fury Road.

A very good point that people gloss over. It's possible (nay, likely) that Fury Road was so astounding because of all the time that the director and his behind the camera crew had in coming up with ideas and fine tuning them. Miller has been hinting that any follow up to Fury Road would come from excess material he and his writing partner came up with while writing Fury Road, which just screams "lesser material" for some reason else why not make that the basis of the movie they were making?

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Also it's been one year since Fury Road came out. Finally ordered the blu-ray through Amazon for $12.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

objects in mirror posted:

A very good point that people gloss over. It's possible (nay, likely) that Fury Road was so astounding because of all the time that the director and his behind the camera crew had in coming up with ideas and fine tuning them. Miller has been hinting that any follow up to Fury Road would come from excess material he and his writing partner came up with while writing Fury Road, which just screams "lesser material" for some reason else why not make that the basis of the movie they were making?

The original storyboard indicated that a whole action scene involving gyrcopters was cut from between the night scenes and finding the Vuvalinu.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

subjecting a work to a decade of polishing and revision without releasing anything is far more likely to produce unmitigated poo poo than The Most Well Thought Out Movie In The World; if Fury Road emerged from development hell watchable that's despite, not because of.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Panfilo posted:

The first shot you see of the bicycle warboys or whatever is their GIANT loving CALVES.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

just screams "lesser material" for some reason else why not make that the basis of the movie they were making?

Could just be cooler stuff that didn't fit the Fury Road narrative, or stuff that they wanted to expand on in their own film rather than having it be part of something else.

A lot of cut content (even if it's just ideas) is often lesser, but there's a lot of potential explanations, and I doubt that out of 10 years of pre-production they only had enough material for 2 hours.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

The first shot you see of the bicycle warboys or whatever is their GIANT loving CALVES.

"WITNESS MEEEEEE!!!!!"

*does a wicked bunny hop that totally gets like 3 feet, easy*

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Also am I wrong in saying that Junkie XL's score was really underrated? There were a lot of cool moments in this film that were all the more emotionally effective because of the score -- I'm thinking "Brother's in arms" playing during the motorcycle scene, the melodic section of "Storm is coming" accompanying key moments in Nux's journey, and "Let them up" playing as the returned group is accepted back into the Citadel. All these moments are very emotional but all the more gripping because the score is loving fantastic. Also the movie came out over a year ago and we're still geeking out about it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd thought that Guzzoline was water, but now I'm not so sure.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Also am I wrong in saying that Junkie XL's score was really underrated? There were a lot of cool moments in this film that were all the more emotionally effective because of the score -- I'm thinking "Brother's in arms" playing during the motorcycle scene, the melodic section of "Storm is coming" accompanying key moments in Nux's journey, and "Let them up" playing as the returned group is accepted back into the Citadel. All these moments are very emotional but all the more gripping because the score is loving fantastic. Also the movie came out over a year ago and we're still geeking out about it.

A lot of people dismissed it because it was "all percussion, no melody"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Serperoth posted:

Could just be cooler stuff that didn't fit the Fury Road narrative, or stuff that they wanted to expand on in their own film rather than having it be part of something else.

A lot of cut content (even if it's just ideas) is often lesser, but there's a lot of potential explanations, and I doubt that out of 10 years of pre-production they only had enough material for 2 hours.

10 years of development from someone who did great previous world building in the same world means there's probably a hell of a lot that's in that world even if it's only outlined.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

well why not posted:

I'd thought that Guzzoline was water, but now I'm not so sure.

Guzzoline is absolutely not water it is a play on how Aussies say 'gasoline'

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Don't they mostly call it petrol? How common is the word 'gasoline' in Australia anyway? I thought it was an Americanism.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

david_a posted:

Don't they mostly call it petrol? How common is the word 'gasoline' in Australia anyway? I thought it was an Americanism.

We do call it petrol. In Road Warrior though they decided to say gasoline to make it easier to understand for Americans who were having trouble with the Australian accents already. But the Gyro Captain's thick Strine made it sound more like "guzzoline" and as it was kind of suitable it stuck.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Of course, Bruce Spence is a New Zealander, rather than an Aussie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vagabundo posted:

Of course, Bruce Spence is a New Zealander, rather than an Aussie.
:aaa:

All this time... That's dishonest. L-O-W

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
All Australian icons are actually American/Scottish/Kiwi. Mostly when they say or do something embarrassing and we want to shift the blame onto someone else. Mel himself being a prime example.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
He is an honorary Aussie, for all intents and purposes. They like to claim successful Kiwis for themselves like that. :v:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I'm Australian, we don't say gasoline or guzzoline.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

well why not

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

We do call it petrol. In Road Warrior though they decided to say gasoline to make it easier to understand for Americans who were having trouble with the Australian accents already. But the Gyro Captain's thick Strine made it sound more like "guzzoline" and as it was kind of suitable it stuck.

Mad Max has a lot of things like that though. There was a character in Thunderdome named Blackfinger, and in Fury Road Nox was a Blackfinger, which implied it was the new word for mechanic. Little details like that are part of the themes about the way the world has been evolving.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

Mad Max has a lot of things like that though. There was a character in Thunderdome named Blackfinger, and in Fury Road Nox was a Blackfinger, which implied it was the new word for mechanic. Little details like that are part of the themes about the way the world has been evolving.
Wasn't Black Thumb? As in Green Thumb, but for engines instead of plants?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It was black thumb and water was called aqua-cola.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

well why not posted:

Literally 5 posts above yours is the explanation champ

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It was black thumb and water was called aqua-cola.

You gotta pronounce it the correct way, like Ace at the beginning of the movie during the war boy chants:

Aqua CO-la

Also Ace was awesome.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

jeeves posted:

You gotta pronounce it the correct way, like Ace at the beginning of the movie during the war boy chants:

Aqua CO-la

Also Ace was awesome.

it's true

rip Ace, you were only following orders

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

I couldn't agree more. It was like Juno Reactor and Ennio Morricone had a lovechild. The leitmotif that plays whenever someone does something heroic or epic in a car is extremely melodic and really elevates the action. The build up music is tense and energetic. The music playing during the major car chases is exciting and high energy and "Brothers in Arms" in particular has some of the most dynamic and exciting action beats of any major soundtrack in years.

Fury Road got better treatment than anyone could have reasonably expected at the Oscars (and besides, who really cares about the Oscars any more?) but I still find it amusing that they didn't even give the Fury Road soundtrack a nomination and yet they nominated John Williams for the Force Awakens. Williams was doing a victory lap and for the life of me I cannot remember a single new beat or tune from Star Wars whereas there are several different beats from Fury Road that I'm still thinking about.

The only criticism I can think of is that putting "chapter doof" and "brothers in arms" onto a Highway Driving playlist has probably made me a less safe driver.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Helsing posted:

I couldn't agree more. It was like Juno Reactor and Ennio Morricone had a lovechild.

If you haven't watched them already, here's Junkie XL talking about the Fury Road soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkNeXS0Lmxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFHIBo3d4Rw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPZzCmdFtE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Helsing posted:

The only criticism I can think of is that putting "chapter doof" and "brothers in arms" onto a Highway Driving playlist has probably made me a less safe driver.

I deeply regret the fact that I no longer own a motorcycle because pretty much this entire soundtrack would have been on my regular ride playlist.

• Locked thread