Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Cid Tiers:

Top tier:
Cid Highwind
Cid Fabool IX
Yuna's Uncle Cid

High tier:
Cid Pollendina
Cid Previa & Mid Previa
Cid nan Garlond

Mid tier:
Cid Haze
Cid Kramer
Cid (FFXI) (I haven't met this Cid so I'll put him here for now)
Cidolfus Demen Bunansa

Low tier:
Cid
Cid Del Norte Marquez

The zone of bad Cids:
Cid Raines

I like Uncle Cid but I don't support spousal abuse so I'm not sure how I feel about Cid Highwind.

And seriously it is really uncomfortable coming back to that scene as an older and more understanding person. I have absolutely no doubt that, whatever else might remain unchanged in the Remake, this part will be completely overhauled, toned down or even removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/733092154671669248

Hey Kyro, if you're still lurking this thread when is the next Fiesta thread going up?

Geomancer risk?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

Hey Kyro, if you're still lurking this thread when is the next Fiesta thread going up?

Yeah, it went up today; I unsubscribed from this thread ages ago.

It's here.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

NikkolasKing posted:

I like Uncle Cid but I don't support spousal abuse so I'm not sure how I feel about Cid Highwind.

And seriously it is really uncomfortable coming back to that scene as an older and more understanding person. I have absolutely no doubt that, whatever else might remain unchanged in the Remake, this part will be completely overhauled, toned down or even removed.

Yeah it's super hosed up. People say that FF7 isn't how people remember it, but FF7 is a dark and gritty game man.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, I caved at the last minute and got FFX off of Steam.

How big of a mistake did I make?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I dunno, you bought an early ps2 era jrpg. I don't think it'll murder your family and gently caress your corpse....?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Regalingualius posted:

So, I caved at the last minute and got FFX off of Steam.

How big of a mistake did I make?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJotVinhXJ4&t=117s

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Are the faulty memories of FF7's story the fault of the fans or the fault of the game? The game does outright tell you the answers to most of its big "mysteries" but the fact so many people still overlook these answers is puzzling as hell. Of course, the translation doesn't help, but I still wonder if it's an execution problem or if most people don't remember stuff besides Midgar and the Aerith thing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
People also remember Sephiroth and Vincent, and to remember Vincent you must get a sort of decent ways into the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Are the faulty memories of FF7's story the fault of the fans or the fault of the game? The game does outright tell you the answers to most of its big "mysteries" but the fact so many people still overlook these answers is puzzling as hell. Of course, the translation doesn't help, but I still wonder if it's an execution problem or if most people don't remember stuff besides Midgar and the Aerith thing.

The translation and the fact most people haven't' played it since they were 12.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

Would the EU stuff like Dirge of Cerberus or Advent Children count for anything?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm willing to blame the fans, considering you all keep bringing up Cid's wife. He isn't married! He laughs in Cloud's face when it's brought up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Everyone chooses to experience the game like Cloud.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

I feel like it's also the fact that a lot of people are fans of the characters (from seeing them in Kingdom Hearts and stuff) but might not have even played the game, or at least not all the way through.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Did

Did they even try to do any kind of optimizing for the graphics? I'm not even 10 minutes in, and this is seriously the first time I'm considering going for a Steam refund. I've tried it just on Medium settings, and it's crashed midway through the intro cutscene (the one you have to watch before you even get to the menu) twice.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sounds like a personal problem

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Game works fine for me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Did

Did they even try to do any kind of optimizing for the graphics? I'm not even 10 minutes in, and this is seriously the first time I'm considering going for a Steam refund. I've tried it just on Medium settings, and it's crashed midway through the intro cutscene (the one you have to watch before you even get to the menu) twice.

my nothing special graphics card has been running the game perfectly fine, are you sure your computer hits the minimums?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's probably because you're a filthy Al Bhed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Terper posted:

It's probably because you're a filthy Al Bhed

They probably have more up to date PCs though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

my nothing special graphics card has been running the game perfectly fine, are you sure your computer hits the minimums?

Pretty sure, considering I only got it a few months ago.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
The first Final Fantasy game that got me hooked was FFV. I used a fan translated rom before it was ever officially released in the US. Unfortunately I never owned any of the Playstations so the amount of FF exposure to me was still pretty slim.

I do remember the popularity of FF7 when it was released and subsequently got released to the PC (my main gaming platform). I played about 5 minutes and had to uninstall it because the graphics were so extremely terrible. I really wanted to enjoy the gameplay, but I couldn't get over how bad it looked compared to all other "3d" games out for PC. I curious to see how the FF7 remake will turn out and will probably buy it.

At one point I temporarily traded my Xbox and games for the Playstation 2 and games for a few months, so I got to play FFX. I recall enjoying it back then, but still miss the FFV gameplay mechanics.

I did get an Xbox 360 and bought FF13 when it came out, and bought it again for the PC when Steam had a Square Enix FF13 bundle on sale. I didn't like the gameplay mechanics that much at first, but I warmed up to it. I definitely wasn't a fan how linear the game was and hated the characters Snow and Hope and to a lesser extent Vanille. Also I hated how useless and dumb the Eidolons were in the game. I was okay with the party split for most of the game because it did do a decent job of character development. Over all story was a bit weird with the Fal'Cie, L'Cie, Cocoon, and Gran Pulse, but that's JRPGs for ya.

I finished FF13-2 not too long ago. One theme I really hate while watching Sci-Fi movies or TV shows is time travelling. I can't believe the devs went with time travelling for this game. In the end it made the game feel pretty cheap. Design one map and redo the textures 3 times, instead of making 3 different actual maps. On the bright side, I suppose the game was a tad less linear since you could at anytime travel to previous maps and do stuff. The battle system was slightly refined, plus there was a little more wiggle room to create your own character via monster infusion. Since the FF13 steam bundle included DLC, I'll fight all the bosses in the coliseum, it's a shame the DLC content bosses have more character in them than the bosses in the vanilla game (save for Caius).

I'll play FF Lightning Returns as soon as Amazon gets and ships the 2TB Samsung SSD, as my 250 GB SSD drive is already like at 75% capacity. Steam reviews seem to show people like it quite a lot better than FF13-2 so I guess there's hope.

I haven't looked too much into FFXV, but when I saw SquareEnix pimping the car driving in one of their trailers/demo I almost puked. At least with FF13 it's a more futuristic sci-fi which is fine. I'm definitely not a fan of them making it too modern. The more "fantasy" in Final Fantasy, the better. If I wanted to drive cars, I'll just reinstall GTAV or uh... go drive out in the lovely desert I live in.

ijii fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 19, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Pretty sure, considering I only got it a few months ago.

maybe check if your drivers are up to date?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
See, the poster above me understands it. By making FF modern, they take the fantasy away from the final, so now we only have Final. But because they didn't stop at Final Fantasy I we don't even have Final, so take that out and what do you have left?

Nothing. The answer is nothing. That's what this series is now. They lost that loving feeling, and now it's gone, gone, gone, and they can't go on, oh whoa whoa.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Terper posted:

It's probably because you're a sand-blasted grease monkey

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ijii posted:

I'll play FF Lightning Returns as soon as Amazon gets and ships the 2TB Samsung SSD, as my 250 GB SSD drive is already like at 75% capacity. Steam reviews seem to show people like it quite a lot better than FF13-2 so I guess there's hope.

I'll get around to playing Lightning Returns some day. It seems the biggest criticism against it is that the story is totally incomprehensible, but that's kind of preaching to the choir as far as JRPGs go.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait to play                   XV, it's gonna be great

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

actually one of the cooler things about final fantasy as a whole is them not giving a gently caress about sticking to one 'right' mode of fantasy

1 had a warmech as a rare enemy, 4 had a spaceship, 7 and 8 had both motorized vehicles and spaceship and there's probably more i'm not remembering, why's 15 having a cool car the breaking point

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

maybe check if your drivers are up to date?

Already checked, and they're up to date. And I've easily got everything beaten for their recommended settings, so... This is loving bizarre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked that FFX attempted to be more consistent in the design of Spira as a place that people actually lived. Like in Bevelle you can see that the people there are definitely wealthier and more technologically advanced, but it's not like they're piloting Gundams while the islanders of Besaid are chucking boomerangs.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

actually one of the cooler things about final fantasy as a whole is them not giving a gently caress about sticking to one 'right' mode of fantasy

1 had a warmech as a rare enemy, 4 had a spaceship, 7 and 8 had both motorized vehicles and spaceship and there's probably more i'm not remembering, why's 15 having a cool car the breaking point

wait people are complaining about the car? there's been a flying airship engineer in 13 of them

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

zolthorg posted:

wait people are complaining about the car? there's been a flying airship engineer in 13 of them
Flying airship is cool as gently caress both in medieval and futuristic Final Fantasy. A car is :effort: Lots of different games you play you can drive cars. Dammit, I want to fly airships, dragons or travel with a big loving yellow bird.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

The translation is not the problem and has never been the problem. I don't speak Japanese and I never had a problem understanding the plot or appreciating teh characters. gently caress, even people who did understand Japanese thought things like Jenova was controlling Sephiroth. Then the Ultimania Omega shot that down but whatever.

I blame the years since they played it as well as misrepresentations in things like Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children and Dissidia.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ijii posted:

Flying airship is cool as gently caress both in medieval and futuristic Final Fantasy. A car is :effort: Lots of different games you play you can drive cars. Dammit, I want to fly airships, dragons or travel with a big loving yellow bird.

lots of different ff games you play you can drive airships, dragons, or big yellow birds

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

ijii posted:

http://i.imgur.com/4ylM4nj.gifv

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

ijii posted:

im loving gay as helll!!!

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
At least this soothes some of my concerns from the one and only vid I've seen so far. It's not like I'm already dismissing the game itself. Not looking too much into it because I won't get it until it is ported to the PC, which will probably be close to two years after release.

ijii fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 19, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ijii posted:

Chocobos are still in and rideable, you can drift with them even.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

weird that the new arkham game is in the daytime and also not in gotham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Chocobos are still in and rideable, you can drift with them even.
I know, I've read about it. I seriously doubt they'll cut chocobos from the series anytime soon. I was just voicing overall concerns about the direction the series is taking, more modernization. I really miss the medieval time setting of the series.

Brother Entropy posted:

weird that the new arkham game is in the daytime and also not in gotham
First thing I thought when I saw that too...