Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

In the olden days I think it was but with agents being dicks about things teams have no choice.

And let's be honest, even if he refuses to meet with Philly, there is plenty of tape on the guy. You're not walking in blind.

Hinkie heavily scouted Zing - more than any other gm.

They knew all about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would have loved to see the draft thread last year if someone had suggested Porzingas going ahead of Okafor.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Lockback posted:

Very few people thought Porzingis should go above Okafor. LA taking Russell is why Zingis went to New York, I don't think the workouts had a lot to do with it.

Porzingas was universally perceived as a risk, so you may well be right, but Philly really wanted to talk to him and see him work out and they were never given the chance for him to change their minds. A poor workout, or unenthusiastic workout, and admittedly the effect would have been the same.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Apparently future pg extraordinaire, Kris Dunn is pulling that on the Celtics now.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Guess he's sick of New England.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Based off watching a dozen DraftExpress videos I'll be kind of bummed if Malik Beasley or Wade Baldwin don't drop to Charlotte at 22

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

Apparently future pg extraordinaire, Kris Dunn is pulling that on the Celtics now.

No sorry that only happens to hapless Hinkie.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wouldnt want to play in Boston either with Smart Thomas and Bradley.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was pumped for King Zing but I wanted Towns Knicks got robbed

The most uhh how-to-say, ?Distorted By History?-artifact from last year's draft was probably this once-hilarious meme turn't confusing and dark:
https://streamable.com/rf3i
peace be upon you

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Someone tell me how diamond stone can be a successful NBA player

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Metapod posted:

I don't know who that is, but they sound like someone Bill Simmons will add to his list of athletes with names that sound like hot women.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

His name is bust proof

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Metapod posted:

I'm a Maryland alumni and watched a bunch of their games this year. He doesn't look NBA ready to me at all. He looks like one of those guys who is riding a hot season to a too high draft status and will probably get eviscerated at the pro level as a rookie. He looks lost a lot of the time even at the college level, and needs a lot more refinement.

I think he's got a lot of potential, but probably will need a year or two to realize it, and if he's a fringe first rounder he might not get the opportunity at the pro level. I hope he does succeed though because he has a badass name.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

He's a big dude who can score in the post and shows a promising mid range game. He was shockingly effective as a rim protector at Maryland too although I don't really expect that to hold up. Like Okafor he is definitely a dude who was born about 20 years too late, but he seems like he could be a potentially effective bench scorer.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 19, 2016

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

I wouldn't mind Skal if we traded down for him (maybe Buddy is on the board at 5 and someone in the 9-12 range is in love with him) but I still think you take BPA in the top five outside of extreme circumstances (which I don't think the Wolves fall under).

Potentially, I just fear it is going to be one of those situations where they pass on an obvious need like shooting and gamble on someone like Dunn. Who fits the physical profile of what Thibodeau seems to like (e.g. long wingspan and ultra athletic), but I don't like his combination of shoulder injuries and inconsistent shooting. I'd just rather go more for need and add a shooter like Murray or Hield or a PF who isn't terrible. That being said, they may choose to address those immediate needs with their $20 million in cap room or trading for a veteran FA, which may involve trading down or trading their pick entirely. There really haven't been any names floated out there of veterans who they would target and I like the idea of having a cost controlled shooter who could play heavy minutes in a 6-man role. We'll need to wait and see what happens. I don't know NBA prospects as well as NFL prospects, so maybe I am being too harsh on Dunn, but I wish there was more clear cut talent in this draft, which is probably why I keep gravitating to wanting a a really good role player to compliment what they have.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Kupchak has said he's not planning on trading the pick, for what it's worth.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Kupchak has said he's not planning on trading the pick, for what it's worth.

I think that's what you say if you are not sure so your new, 19-year old rookie doesn't feel like the backup plan. For what it's worth, though, I think the Lakers should keep the pick and stay in rebuild for another year before making a move to actually get Ws.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Australian Basketball legend Brett Brown knows Ben Simmons really well, he's friends with his father, they're all very close. If Philadelphia doesn't choose him, it either means that Brown agrees that he's of a low scoundrelous character, or that the front office doesn't want to trade any of their lottery bigs. Neither seems very likely.

The Lakers will develop Ingram into his ideal self, a smooth scoring wing who can play great defense. I wonder if the Lakers are going to shoot for a top 3 pick again next year, or veer hard in the other direction because they think internal development will have them conveying a 5 or 6 to phoenix.

D'angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Ingram, Julius Randle, Center to be Named Later is probably a 4-8th pick team. Philadelphia, Brooklyn if they don't add a bunch of guys, Random bad due to injuries team 1-2

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I wonder what Boston is going to do with the #3 pick. I'm hoping they don't take Bender, I'd like to see him in Phoenix.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah even if the sixers really improve they are still probably worst in the league.
Excepting like the Bulls or someone tanking.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

For what it's worth, though, I think the Lakers should keep the pick and stay in rebuild for another year before making a move to actually get Ws.

So does Philly.

According to Doogie (local scoops guy who's usually pretty good) Kris Dunn is rising up a lot of boards and is as high as #2 on one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ownership pressure is on Philly. They are going for wins. With the Kings swap and the Lakers pick that's ok tho.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Coach15602825/ben-simmons-nba-ceiling
Nice David Thorpe article about Ben Simmons

euphronius posted:

Ownership pressure is on Philly. They are going for wins. With the Kings swap and the Lakers pick that's ok tho.

They have so far to go, even if they act like a real team and sign some okay vets to replace d-league players, they might still be the worst team.

I would like to see what all their bigs look like with competent guards and wings who can shoot. Who the knows, maybe Jahlil will be the generational post scorer if he's surrounded by shooters.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 20, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

Yeah even if the sixers really improve they are still probably worst in the league.
Excepting like the Bulls or someone tanking.

I think the bottom 3 next year remains unchanged. Maybe the bottom 4? I suspect the Suns are going to try the hardest of the west lotto teams to get back into playoff contention again, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

So does Philly.

According to Doogie (local scoops guy who's usually pretty good) Kris Dunn is rising up a lot of boards and is as high as #2 on one.

I love Kris Dunn and won't be shocked if he's actually the best player from this class. I find it pretty hard to find a way to justify the Lakers picking him, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bryan Colangelo can't stop talking about Dunn.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Henchman of Santa posted:

His name is bust proof

Stromile Swift.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

So does Philly.

That would be nice if Dunn is moving up boards, could push some more interesting prospects down like Murray, Bender, and Brown.

Edit: Also, the Wolves have completely shaken up their front office.

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/733787424069947394

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

IcePhoenix posted:

So does Philly.

Doogie is absolutely a quote-launderer in exchange for access and is usually laughably poor about hiding who he is getting his info from. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but he's pretty willing to pass along info uncritically. This one reeks of the Wolves FO.

As it comes to trading picks-most of my hoop friends are convinced the Wolves are going to trade #5+[Player who isn't KAT or Wiggins] for Butler and the Bulls pick. That strikes me as laughably insane, but what is the fair market value of the 5th pick in this draft for a veteran player? I'm assuming, for instance, lower than Khris Middleton.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anyone the Wolves want (young and good) probably isn't for sale

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
I don't think you understand. See, there's nobody good in the draft at 5, so we should trade our worthless pick for a good star player from another team.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can probably get Greg Monroe for a #5 pick I guess.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Geoff Peterson posted:

Doogie is absolutely a quote-launderer in exchange for access and is usually laughably poor about hiding who he is getting his info from. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but he's pretty willing to pass along info uncritically. This one reeks of the Wolves FO.

As it comes to trading picks-most of my hoop friends are convinced the Wolves are going to trade #5+[Player who isn't KAT or Wiggins] for Butler and the Bulls pick. That strikes me as laughably insane, but what is the fair market value of the 5th pick in this draft for a veteran player? I'm assuming, for instance, lower than Khris Middleton.

Yeah, I'm not high on the Butler rumors. He's a good player, but he's obnoxious to watch and doesn't solve their need for outside shooting. I also don't want to move Lavine, I get that you need to give something up to get a good player, but I think Lavine is close to breaking out, though I will admit that he shouldn't play PG and does need to improve on defense. I'd rather keep 5 and not mess with the core of the team, though I expect Thibodeau will want to win early and it's extremely difficult to win with young players in the NBA.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Aniki posted:

Yeah, I'm not high on the Butler rumors. He's a good player, but he's obnoxious to watch and doesn't solve their need for outside shooting. I also don't want to move Lavine, I get that you need to give something up to get a good player, but I think Lavine is close to breaking out, though I will admit that he shouldn't play PG and does need to improve on defense. I'd rather keep 5 and not mess with the core of the team, though I expect Thibodeau will want to win early and it's extremely difficult to win with young players in the NBA.

For me it's more that even if the Bulls are looking to sell, LA, Boston and Philly can easily top a Wolves package.

Lavine is interesting. If the last couple months of the season represent an actual step forward for him and Thibs gets through to him-he could be the new prototype of a 3-and-D wing. He's also evidently as much of a gym rat as KAT is... though that may change when they all hit legal drinking age.

Very nervous about what they do if Buddy and Murray go 3 & 4. The roster REALLY doesn't need another PG with a questionable shot, and Ellenson seems to need to polish.... everything.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Geoff Peterson posted:

For me it's more that even if the Bulls are looking to sell, LA, Boston and Philly can easily top a Wolves package.

Lavine is interesting. If the last couple months of the season represent an actual step forward for him and Thibs gets through to him-he could be the new prototype of a 3-and-D wing. He's also evidently as much of a gym rat as KAT is... though that may change when they all hit legal drinking age.

Very nervous about what they do if Buddy and Murray go 3 & 4. The roster REALLY doesn't need another PG with a questionable shot, and Ellenson seems to need to polish.... everything.

Lavine basically stays in the gym all night working on his game and he's made some big strides, especially with his shot. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and spends a lot of time working deaf organizations, so he doesn't strike me as the type who is going to get distracted by the NBA life, but who knows? I've enjoyed watching him progress as a player and I really do want to see what strides he can make under Thibodeaux, since I think he can be really good. I'd love to see them get another shooter in the draft and start adding good role players to complement the young talent they have. I'd really like to get a PF, but I'm not sure if there is good value at 5. I don't want Ellenson and while Labissiere is intriguing, he'd be a reach there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Geoff Peterson posted:

I mean, you pretty obviously draft Bender there since our biggest hole is at the 4.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pat Connaughton broke the Combine last year and now everyone is cheating
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-League-Office-Draft-Combine-Measurements-Under-Review-5499/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/734165790564319232

:wotwot:
:yosbutt:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Are we still at the part of the year where DraftExpress is overrating Euro prospects? Like 10 dudes in the first round seems high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

morestuff posted:

Are we still at the part of the year where DraftExpress is overrating Euro prospects? Like 10 dudes in the first round seems high

I feel like college basketball was totally bereft of star players this year. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people draft and stash Euros in the late first.

• Locked thread