Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
yeah at this point im probably not gonna play anything until 0.13 comes out

i also tried playing the campaign again where you have to restore the base and i still cant figure out what the game expects of me -- even with all the trains running it needs a hell of a lot of resources and i have no idea how to speed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

and i have no idea how to speed it up

More of everything. More mines. More smelters, more assemblers, more trains, more remote mines, more more more!

It's Factorio, no Lineraro

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Just picked up this game, pretty enjoyable. Played with a friend for a couple hours with pacified bugs to get a good feel for what's what. I went to attack a nest at the end and got obliterated in about 2 seconds; how aggressive are they in non-pacifist mode?

I just realized what this game is. It's loving Harvest Moon on steroids. No wonder I enjoy it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In non-Pacficst mode the bugs start out as an annoyance and gradually ramp up as time goes on. They WILL wreck your stuff while you're not looking at it. Their agressiveness is based largely off of the pollution you produce (which is inevitable, it's impossible to go green in this game). There's a reason turrets are one of the first things you can research. Some people make automated bullet farms to feed bullets on a treadmill to the turrets surrounding their base. Invest in armor-piercing bullets to load into the turrets to make them more powerful (also gun turrets do more damage to bugs than you can, even with a machine gun).

Taking out bug bases is hard on foot unless you have, like, power armor and combat drones, but fortunately you can build a tank with a long-range penetrating cannon that can blast their hives from a safe distance. I love that thing.

The "Harvest Moon on steroids" thing is a pretty good comparison. Been playing a lot of Rune Factory IV myself...

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Speedball posted:

In non-Pacficst mode the bugs start out as an annoyance and gradually ramp up as time goes on. They WILL wreck your stuff while you're not looking at it. Their agressiveness is based largely off of the pollution you produce (which is inevitable, it's impossible to go green in this game). There's a reason turrets are one of the first things you can research. Some people make automated bullet farms to feed bullets on a treadmill to the turrets surrounding their base. Invest in armor-piercing bullets to load into the turrets to make them more powerful (also gun turrets do more damage to bugs than you can, even with a machine gun).

Taking out bug bases is hard on foot unless you have, like, power armor and combat drones, but fortunately you can build a tank with a long-range penetrating cannon that can blast their hives from a safe distance. I love that thing.

The "Harvest Moon on steroids" thing is a pretty good comparison. Been playing a lot of Rune Factory IV myself...

I must be the only person that uses the tank as a battering ram.

I never even put ammo in it.

I build a small laser turret pill box and i do bog laps, running into hives and then sweeping back for the turrets to kill the bugs. A little repair and another bog lap.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I might hop in the server one of these days, thanks for opening it

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got a response on the Factorio forums:

Klonan posted:

Ratzap posted:

One thing I'm wondering still is how will this game finder support modded games? Will there be space for a URL or something next to the game name to let people grab whatever mods are required?

The mod portal will be used to download any required mods

That will be pretty convenient but if they don't save the old mods off to the side, it might cause a lot of downloading if you switch games frequently. This could also put pressure on mod makers to pay attention to the size of some of their textures.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DmitriX posted:

Switched latency to 200.(from 100)
Let's see if that works out better

For the record, this has definitely made it playable for me. Thanks.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have to say, robots are really good for low rate production. I needed to build some blue belts and splitters, so I just plopped down some factories and requester chests and even though it's slow, it produces splitters fast enough for me to upgrade. I will probably convert my research pipeline to robots so that it's more compact, and I've already got a CPU factory based on robots.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Meskhenet posted:

I build a small laser turret pill box and i do bog laps, running into hives and then sweeping back for the turrets to kill the bugs. A little repair and another bog lap.

What up battering ram tank buddy. :killdozer::respek::smuggo:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Meskhenet posted:

It's even better when you have a personal roboport or 3! You have this cloud of construction robots desperately trying to keep up and repair the tank and getting killed while you're blindly charging through nests. Lots of fun.

I suggest loading up with armor piercing ammo anyway, it's a lot easier to deal with spitters and other bugs than trying to charge them.

Ratzap posted:

I got a response on the Factorio forums:

quote:

That will be pretty convenient but if they don't save the old mods off to the side, it might cause a lot of downloading if you switch games frequently. This could also put pressure on mod makers to pay attention to the size of some of their textures.

I wish they would change when mods are loaded. It's really annoying to have to switch mods and restart the game when you want to change servers. I think that for 98% of the mods they could move the loading time to when you load the save instead of when you start the game. The only exceptions I can think of are mods that add new campaigns, and I don't really know how popular those are. I'm sure this would require huge changes to how the game works, so it might not be worth it, but it really would make things easier for us.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I just started my first blue science assembly line, and holy cow it's eating all my iron and copper.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mr. Powers posted:

I have to say, robots are really good for low rate production. I needed to build some blue belts and splitters, so I just plopped down some factories and requester chests and even though it's slow, it produces splitters fast enough for me to upgrade. I will probably convert my research pipeline to robots so that it's more compact, and I've already got a CPU factory based on robots.

Just make sure to build enough roboports - they're the cap on how many robots can be doing a thing at once due to recharging times.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bundle of Keys posted:

I just started my first blue science assembly line, and holy cow it's eating all my iron and copper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADAxuqnqqQ

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ratzap posted:

Thats great until you get mods like that one a few pages back that was just a trojan in a zip file

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats great until you get mods like that one a few pages back that was just a trojan in a zip file

It wasn't even that, it was someone using factoriomods' storage and bandwidth to distribute an entirely unrelated rar archive.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
So I can use multiplayer servers to make others forcefully download my Factorio fan fic if I put it in a rar and include it in the server mod list?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zedprime posted:

So I can use multiplayer servers to make others forcefully download my Factorio fan fic if I put it in a rar and include it in the server mod list?

quote:

"I-idiot! It's not like I wanted to make advanced chips for you, constructor-san!"
"Don't be so tsunasemmblere," the author self-Inserter said soothingly.

quote:

[...] adding 500 barrels of Lube to his Logistics Queue [...]

Downloading Mod Lube-Up-Your-Belts.zip [300 Mb]...
Downloading Mod The-Biter-And-The-Spitter.zip [122 Mb]...

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 22, 2016

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I'm fairly new at this game and I want to plan my own factory design in advance based on the terrain I've been given.

I started out in the middle of a forest with some small lakes. My goal is to build a massive walled and turreted facility with a main bus setup and full concrete surfaces just to make it look pretty. For now the forest absorbs the limited pollution of my facility to keep me safe from aliens which is great but I'll eventually want to tear down the forests to build.

Here is a general view of my map.

Notice that there's a lot of forest and lake in the way of building my main bus and I will probably have coal and iron spaghetti because all the small patches of it are located nowhere near the copper and coal supplies. What's the best way to plan out my base from this? How do I keep my conveyor belts neat and organized so I can get a bus going? What do I do about the trees or if a lake shows up in front of my bus as I expand outward? How do I consolidate the flow of my iron and coal so it's more organized and accessible by the main bus?

Right now I just have my standard powerplant in the middle there. It has a convenient source of coal which I plant to dedicate to more powerplants that I'll build throughout the lake complex. Eventually I'll use the oil patch there to power the steam engines until I get good solar going.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 22, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The best thing you can learn is long rear end belt runs are surprisingly economic. If you want to imprint a semblance of order, my favorite thing to do is make a belt assembler that you first hand feed, and then connect to furnace outputs so you can be laying the backbone of anything you'd like to do early on.

Then following from that is your design can be very map agnostic as long as you aren't playing with any specialty challenge set ups or mods. You can avoid running a bus into a lake by just not aiming the bus at a lake. It doesn't matter where your ore fields are, because it can all travel roundabout by belt or train to a centralized furnace area. The land bows to you in Factorio, not the other way around.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

The best thing you can learn is long rear end belt runs are surprisingly economic. If you want to imprint a semblance of order, my favorite thing to do is make a belt assembler that you first hand feed, and then connect to furnace outputs so you can be laying the backbone of anything you'd like to do early on.

Then following from that is your design can be very map agnostic as long as you aren't playing with any specialty challenge set ups or mods. You can avoid running a bus into a lake by just not aiming the bus at a lake. It doesn't matter where your ore fields are, because it can all travel roundabout by belt or train to a centralized furnace area. The land bows to you in Factorio, not the other way around.

This is good advice. You could also look at a mod like Landfill so you can fill in any lakes you come across.

Here's a map of one of my factories that's somewhat similar to yours:

The red square is the smelting area, cyan squares are iron mines, orange squares are copper mines. The white square is the location of a mostly-depleted coal deposit that's only being used to feed my plastic factory. (Everything else is electric or uses solid fuel.)
All the mines feed in to the belts that feed the furnaces. It gets a bit spider, but once you set it up you really don't need to worry about it.

If I were you, I'd build your smelting area south of the large northeastern lake and build your bus and factory to the east. That looks like ample space for expanding your factory.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Downloading Mod Lube-Up-Your-Belts.zip [300 Mb]...
Downloading Mod The-Biter-And-The-Spitter.zip [122 Mb]...
You forgot all the weird stuff written in foreign alphabets. :v:
Downloading Mod пони_вредоносных_программ.zip [601 Mb]...

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
This game seems like it would be good for a long plane trip.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

It's a great laptop game for sitting around bored most anywhere. Waiting rooms, lobbies, trips, etc.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

crusader_complex posted:

Do not start this game before a vacation.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

crusader_complex posted:

On this note, is there a way to load this game on a USB stick?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Dirk the Average posted:

On this note, is there a way to load this game on a USB stick?

Download the latest version from factorio.com and extract it to a USB stick.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My current game is a bit of a mish mash.

Seems like just as i get something up and running, something else falls off somewhere else.
I got my blue research up and i ran out of oil, which i was turning into solid fuel. So my base shut down.

So then i get more oil, and now i have no iron.
Once the iron is back up and overflowing, looks like im out of copper...

So now im riding around killing nests looking for a major mining hub and plan on training some stuff back. Still not sure if i should train back raw/processed or even circuits.

(And im halfway to making the top power armour. Once that is done it will be cool.)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's probably the strongest draw to the game. There's always something you need more of so your goal posts are constantly being updated and things needing to be done.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Usually it's easier to train raw materials (ore) than anything processed, due to infrastructure. It's easier to defend a single source of (massive) pollution, and you don't have interim products and assembly lines taking up space way out in west bumblefuck.

Also, more often than not, those small outposts only have a single ore, making production of anything else (like circuits) more difficult. And once it's exhausted then you have to pick EVERYTHING back up again and re-locate it. Easier to plop down mines and a station.

I really want .13 to make trains easier to deal with before blueprints and personal roboports. Can't come soon enough. :(

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's one of the best things about the RSO mod, for me. Ore gets richer as you go further out, and eventually mines have 90-200k 'expected resources' each so you can either level off your time setting up new mines, or... continue building nearly-eternal mines to feed the fires of industry.

I'll launch the whole planet into orbit :argh:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Evilreaver posted:

Ore gets richer as you go further out
Isn't this going to be in vanilla in 0.13?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

ShadowHawk posted:

Isn't this going to be in vanilla in 0.13?

They talked about doing that, yes. But .13 isn't out yet, so RSO it is for now!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

A dude on reddit spent 500 hours in a single Factorio game and got a PC Gamer article out of the deal.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Well that article was completely worthless.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nth Doctor posted:

A dude on reddit spent 500 hours in a single Factorio game and got a PC Gamer article out of the deal.

Only 500 hours?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

He doesn't even have belt balancers! :argh:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It took me 5 games to realize I should stop restarting and I ended up going back to the second game I started anyway. Almost to the point of having rocket silos researched. Oil is my limit now, so I'm going to need to extend my oil rail by... a lot. My production can only feed one plastic plant at the moment and that just can't keep up. I just revamped my ore unloading station to better handle throughput, and I'm going to relocate my smelting operation to better organize the factory. Also I need about 10 more roboports so I can boil down my research factory to a much more compact size, and I'll be done with research soon anyway.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Roadie posted:

I've run into a problem with my belt balancers in that if you have a really high draw from one lane (in my case, I merge copper and iron onto a single belt for most of my old low rate production, which tends to draw mostly from one lane), that single lane can be overdrawn even through a belt balancer. I guess it's not really a problem, but I wish there were some advanced splitters that could perform lane balancing and things like "merge belt A into lane A of belt C, with belt B in lane B of belt C" so that lane load was even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Roadie posted:

My trigger was he was building and transporting copper cable by belt in quantity.