Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Why G5X for titan? Also, the clock speeds are slower because of more cores? I would love to get a Titan just for the 1000 more CUDA cores and 64 TMUs over my 980 Ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Uhh, possible 1080ti and 1060 spec leaks

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600793/chiphell-gtx-titan-for-pascal-gtx-1080ti-and-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked

E: GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition: $849
GTX 1080Ti Reference: $799
GTX Titan: $999 (Only comes as Founders Edition)

Hm, no HBM2.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Uhh, possible 1080ti and 1060 spec leaks

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600793/chiphell-gtx-titan-for-pascal-gtx-1080ti-and-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked

E: GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition: $849
GTX 1080Ti Reference: $799
GTX Titan: $999 (Only comes as Founders Edition)

I thought the Founder's Edition are just the new name for the Reference card. Why are they listed at separate price points?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Could be what Nvidia are setting as MSRP for their partners?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
That's a pretty big bandwidth upgrade for the 1060 over the 960, but still slightly less than the 970.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Agreed, 1060 doesn't look bad on the wider 192-bit bus and new process, if those leaks are real. Weird that the 1080Ti and Titan are listed with GDDR5X after all the talk about possibly using HBM2 on the high-end models. Maybe they're reserving HBM2 for their workstation cards but that would kinda suck if only Tesla/Quadro series got HBM2.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
A (potentially) 7.2 billion transistor chip going into the 1060? Something seems fucky...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Seamonster posted:

A (potentially) 7.2 billion transistor chip going into the 1060? Something seems fucky...
Well, at 1/2 the CUDA cores and TMU's, a whole bunch of those transistors won't be functional. Kinda makes sense if yields are bad, but seems like it'll eventually be a huge waste looking over the life of the series.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Its near certain to be a salvage die so the transistor count doesn't matter a huge amount and is still a big money maker for Nvidia since the alternative would be to throw it out.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does it make sense to jump on a 1080 next week, or wait until the non-reference cards show up? Any previews or leaks on actual specs of aftermarket cards?

Also, if you do jump on a FE card, what's the preference in terms of brand? I assume it's all the same spec -- but different warranties?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chuu posted:

Does it make sense to jump on a 1080 next week, or wait until the non-reference cards show up? Any previews or leaks on actual specs of aftermarket cards?

Also, if you do jump on a FE card, what's the preference in terms of brand? I assume it's all the same spec -- but different warranties?

You should definitely get a non-reference card since the FE has inadequate cooling and power delivery. And always go with EVGA for a FE card, with EVGA you get the best warranty and customer service and the step-up program which might let you exchange the FE for a much better custom cooled version.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Assuming that chart's even half-way legit, I think the Ti is going to be my next card. I cannot see a use for 24GB of frame buffer in the next 2-3 years unless the next-gen consoles go loving insane. I also think nVidia's going to reserve HBM2 until Volta. They've a license to print money with keeping it exclusive to Big Pascal at the moment.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Is the FE's cooling really that bad? I was watching a JayzTwoCents video and it seemed like most of the issues could be fixed by modifying the fan curve and power limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmsfw9GnWUY&t=405s

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should definitely get a non-reference card since the FE has inadequate cooling and power delivery. And always go with EVGA for a FE card, with EVGA you get the best warranty and customer service and the step-up program which might let you exchange the FE for a much better custom cooled version.

While this is great advice for Americans, it's worth adding that this isn't necessarily true for other countries. Australia doesn't have step up for example, and I've only heard bad things about Australian EVGA support. Hell, with Australian consumer laws putting the impetus for support on the retailer, you can just get the cheapest model from a good retailer. With the 980ti launch the EVGA reference model was >$100 more expensive than the same card from Galax.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Is the FE's cooling really that bad? I was watching a JayzTwoCents video and it seemed like most of the issues could be fixed by modifying the fan curve and power limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmsfw9GnWUY&t=405s
Just loving lol if Nvidia is repeating AMD's mistake with the 290.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I thought the Founder's Edition are just the new name for the Reference card. Why are they listed at separate price points?

can someone answer this question because i was under the same impression that founders = reference

e: also the newegg list shows evga and asus founders edition cards???
i don't understand this naming scheme
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&N=8000&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PPSSVYJXPPLKEI

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 22, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Flounder's Edition cards are reference designs sold by Nvidia, I think that's basically it. Think of it as a higher price point but guaranteed supply, while standard reference and custom sold through AIB will use the lower price point but may have issues with supply for the forseeable future.

Reference design for the 1080 is inadequate enough for the 1080 to merit waiting for custom cards, there might be a solid 20% more performance difference which is hilarious. Maybe a large majority of 1080 die, even when fully intact, have serious enough voltage and power problems that it was better to limit the chip on the reference design? That the difference between what GP104 is fully capable of in ideal conditions results in first gen GP104 committing suicide via overclock?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FaustianQ posted:

Flounder's Edition cards are reference designs sold by Nvidia, I think that's basically it. Think of it as a higher price point but guaranteed supply, while standard reference and custom sold through AIB will use the lower price point but may have issues with supply for the forseeable future.

Reference design for the 1080 is inadequate enough for the 1080 to merit waiting for custom cards, there might be a solid 20% more performance difference which is hilarious. Maybe a large majority of 1080 die, even when fully intact, have serious enough voltage and power problems that it was better to limit the chip on the reference design? That the difference between what GP104 is fully capable of in ideal conditions results in first gen GP104 committing suicide via overclock?

What's the history on embargoing details on non-reference cards? Is it eyebrow raising that we aren't allowed to see what the partners have cooked up until the first wave of reference orders go through?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The gamers nexus guys did a series of videos where they attached an evga hybrid cooler to a founders edition and overclocked it. Here's their conclusion and learnings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2MqPcAtnk

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

As an aside, it's sort of stupid how the industry doesn't do some warm up laps to get the components up to realistic temperatures before the benchmark begins. With some of the reports of the stock boost throttling after 10 minutes (and well after most benchmarks complete), it's even more apparent that starting a benchmark from a cold card is misleading. It's like reviewers are willingly incentivizing speedtest.net style optimizations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm crossposting from the Windows 10 thread, but realized I may have a better chance here:

I have a dual monitor setup, and I usually play games on my main monitor while throwing an LP or something on youtube on the secondary one. Since upgrading to Windows 10 every time I do this it impacts performance quite noticeably, my fps drop from around 90 to 40something playing Dirt Rally, the input feels weird, like it's processing it in bursts, and youtube playback is choppy as well.

Any ideas what may be causing this? I know it's not normal since I've been doing this for years on 7 without any impact on games whatsoever. I have hardware acceleration disabled on chrome, and it's playing HTML5, so no hardware acceleration on flash to tweak. I recently upgraded from a 660ti to a gtx970 but I had it for a few weeks before upgrading to windows 10 and didn't notice this issue, so I don't think it's the card.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

This is something I experience as well with my 970 and Win10. I haven't found a fix for it yet. You can't even fix it by putting YouTube on your integrated graphics. :/ Most Google results I've found are just "hah you upgraded to Windows 10, sucks to be you!" or "stop playing YouTube while gaming."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LiquidRain posted:

This is something I experience as well with my 970 and Win10. I haven't found a fix for it yet. You can't even fix it by putting YouTube on your integrated graphics. :/ Most Google results I've found are just "hah you upgraded to Windows 10, sucks to be you!" or "stop playing YouTube while gaming."

Well, poo poo. That's the whole point of having an el cheapo secondary monitor! :(

It's the same poo poo with Edge, so I don't think it's a browser issue. I tried setting the card to "single monitor priority" (or something along those lines) and nothing; also tried using a chrome extension that forces the HTML5 player to use mp4/webm instead of VP8/9 but same deal.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm crossposting from the Windows 10 thread, but realized I may have a better chance here:

I have a dual monitor setup, and I usually play games on my main monitor while throwing an LP or something on youtube on the secondary one. Since upgrading to Windows 10 every time I do this it impacts performance quite noticeably, my fps drop from around 90 to 40something playing Dirt Rally, the input feels weird, like it's processing it in bursts, and youtube playback is choppy as well.

Any ideas what may be causing this? I know it's not normal since I've been doing this for years on 7 without any impact on games whatsoever. I have hardware acceleration disabled on chrome, and it's playing HTML5, so no hardware acceleration on flash to tweak. I recently upgraded from a 660ti to a gtx970 but I had it for a few weeks before upgrading to windows 10 and didn't notice this issue, so I don't think it's the card.

Does your main monitor have a refresh rate higher than 60hz? Sounds a little bit like: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does your main monitor have a refresh rate higher than 60hz? Sounds a little bit like: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

No, checked just in case, they're both 60hz and configured as such.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LiquidRain posted:

You can't even fix it by putting YouTube on your integrated graphics.

:confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvoX676gzk

970 SLI driving the main monitor, Intel 4790K onboard driving the second and third.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, poo poo. That's the whole point of having an el cheapo secondary monitor! :(

It's the same poo poo with Edge, so I don't think it's a browser issue. I tried setting the card to "single monitor priority" (or something along those lines) and nothing; also tried using a chrome extension that forces the HTML5 player to use mp4/webm instead of VP8/9 but same deal.

Have you tried toggling hardware acceleration in your browser, if available?
I know there's an option in Firefox, not sure about Chrome and Edge.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Sounds like a real bug to be honest vs some setting issue. I know, not helpful, but its an interesting one to me id like to know what the root cause is there.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So if all of these AIB manufacturers know that 3-Sli and 4-SLI aren't really a thing anymore, why do some of them continue to make X99 motherboards with 4-5 PCI-E 16x slots? Why not just put in two or three and add in some m.2 slots? What I really want is X99 with 2 PCI-E 16x slots, like 2 PCI-E 4x slots(For PCI-E SSD cards), then like 3-4 m.2 drive slots, with the chipset feeding the SATA slots for regular drives.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

mcbexx posted:

Have you tried toggling hardware acceleration in your browser, if available?
I know there's an option in Firefox, not sure about Chrome and Edge.
Chrome has it, but disabling/enabling it doesn't make a difference.

wolrah posted:

970 SLI driving the main monitor, Intel 4790K onboard driving the second and third.
Thought about trying that, forgot my mobo doesn't have onboard graphics. :suicide:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SlayVus posted:

So if all of these AIB manufacturers know that 3-Sli and 4-SLI aren't really a thing anymore, why do some of them continue to make X99 motherboards with 4-5 PCI-E 16x slots? Why not just put in two or three and add in some m.2 slots? What I really want is X99 with 2 PCI-E 16x slots, like 2 PCI-E 4x slots(For PCI-E SSD cards), then like 3-4 m.2 drive slots, with the chipset feeding the SATA slots for regular drives.

A) Three and four way SLI is still a thing.

B) Nvidia dropping implicit three and four way SLI support just happened and it takes months to over a year to R&D a new mobo design.

C) There are other uses for X99 boards with a whole bunch of full size slots like for workstation cards.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SlayVus posted:

The info is like a month old, it sometimes is worth relaying that kind of stuff via Twitter or whatever towards motherboard companies. If you're lucky some dude will see it and take the idea as his own at the next meeting and, it could happen! Though you'd never know it was because of you lol

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

SlayVus posted:

3- and 4-way SLI still exist, they're just dumb. But they were always dumb, so the market hasn't really changed.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Male Man posted:

3- and 4-way SLI still exist, they're just dumb. But they were always dumb, so the market hasn't really changed.
Also 3- and 4-way CrossFire for the monumentally retarded.

I'd actually bet that there are more people who use 3-4 full-length PCIe slots for...whatever...than there are people who would use 4 m.2 slots.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

I'd actually bet that there are more people who use 3-4 full-length PCIe slots for...whatever...than there are people who would use 4 m.2 slots.

If you really need tons of m.2 slots you can get PCIe sled/adapter cards that hold m.2 cards anyway. So again, you're better off with the PCIe slots.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

As an aside, it's sort of stupid how the industry doesn't do some warm up laps to get the components up to realistic temperatures before the benchmark begins. With some of the reports of the stock boost throttling after 10 minutes (and well after most benchmarks complete), it's even more apparent that starting a benchmark from a cold card is misleading. It's like reviewers are willingly incentivizing speedtest.net style optimizations.
There are no ethics in tech journalism.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Hasn't Nvidia always said "don't do 4 way, poo poo's not worth it" ? Nothings really changed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ak Gara posted:

Hasn't Nvidia always said "don't do 4 way, poo poo's not worth it" ? Nothings really changed.

I'm not sure they've ever said that officially. Plenty of review sites have, though.

As long as it's unlockable via a free key I'm A-OK with it, everyone knows it's a weird/trouble-prone setup for people that have too much money and doesn't really perform that well, and it sounds like they're just trying to make that explicit.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

wolrah posted:

I should have added one last qualifier:

Game cannot be fullscreen. It has to be windowed/borderless windowed. Dedicated fullscreen games aren't affected, at least not for me. I think it's a Windows bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wolrah posted:

Your voice sounds exactly like mine

What are you?