Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squizzle posted:

I want a Venomm and Karnaj team-up, possibly involving Spider-Man overhearing a report on it as it happens (while he's visiting Wakanda I guess?) and waaaaaaaaaay overreacting.

I dunno, I'd be pretty loving terrified if Karnaaj was coming for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Toxxupation posted:

Sunspot's in charge of the new avengers and just disbanded them to start up the secret avengers, but that's more an indication of how much Sunspot rules that he's able to overcome being a mutant to be genuinely good outside his book.

Sunspot's real power is that he's rich, not a mutant.

KittyEmpress posted:

First off, She-Hulk is A-Force's leader. Carol never has been. Carol was never teased as being it. So you obviously don't even read the comic you want to complain of.

Second part, Dazzler is literally right there on the team, and is a mutant.

She-Hulk's a mutant?

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Aw man, Weirdworld really is done, isn't it? Just finished today's issue and it has consistently been one of my favorite books.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So IF that spoiler is true, how in the Nine Hells did Steve Rogers lift Mjolnir?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

CobiWann posted:

So IF that spoiler is true, how in the Nine Hells did Steve Rogers lift Mjolnir?

Well Thor is a white ubermensch with blond hair and blue eyes, so maybe the qualification for being worthy is different than you thought...

Steve isn't really going to have always been a Hydra agent. It's going to be Red Skull mind control or whatever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Maybe being a Nazi doesn't disqualify you from being worthy.

team overhead smash posted:

Well Thor is a white ubermensch with blond hair and blue eyes, so maybe the qualification for being worthy is different than you thought...

Steve isn't really going to have always been a Hydra agent. It's going to be Red Skull mind control or whatever

According to the writers: "This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.".

Which is probably still lies but still.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

ImpAtom posted:

According to the writers: "This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.".

Even if it's not a lie there's plenty still omitted and it still leaves open time travel, reality warping (especially seeing as that's how he got restored to his current body it), being a mole, being the real Steve Rogers Captain America himself of universe-88, etc.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, I am sure its that Kobik rewrote his history when she re-created him. It's most certainly not that he's literally been Hydra all along since the 1930s, that would make no sense with all the stuff he's done for the past 70 years.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ImpAtom posted:

Well, gently caress, then let me pitch an awesome idea my friend had!

Peter Parker is a sadistic serial killer and Uncle Ben was his first kill, whom he targeted because he was bored of lectures about "great responsibility." He made up the story about a burglar to cover his tracks. Since that day Parker has been fighting crime as Spiderman mostly so he can be costumed in public without drawing attention to himself, allowing him to brutally hunt and murder those society won't miss (the homeless, junkies, sex workers, etc.)

Only the heroic newspaper publisher J. Jonah Jameson suspects the truth, but no one will believe him except for the devout but closeted Christian Kamala Khan and misunderstood criminal Herman Schultz...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Now that I've read the issue of Captain America in question, it seems pretty damned obvious.

The Red Skull was in Pleasant Hill, and took the opportunity to tweak Steve's memories for him, retroactively inserting an entire chapter of his life as a kid where he met and admired a HYDRA agent.

Which is extra weird, because she hands him something with the modern HYDRA logo, which wouldn't exist for decades yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Christ, I'm just going to ignore this Captain America bullshit and instead focus on how great Squirrel Girl was this week. I also really enjoyed Mockingbird.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Patsy Walker's art this week was sickeningly cute in a good way.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I really don't know why writers still give the standard PR bullshit about dismissing all the explanations except super double secret actual factual backstory. It makes it meaningless because everyone knows it's going to be retconed, just go with mind control ,mind control has given us plenty of good suspenseful stories.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

I really don't know why writers still give the standard PR bullshit about dismissing all the explanations except super double secret actual factual backstory. It makes it meaningless because everyone knows it's going to be retconed, just go with mind control ,mind control has given us plenty of good suspenseful stories.

Especially in this case when we're all gonna just go "Oh, so Cosmic Cube, then?"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

After reading this week's Ms. Marvel, I want a Skyshark and Lightning Golems team-up story.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If Steve can recover from becoming a werewolf, he can put this behind him one day as well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really, really enjoyed that issue of Captain America Steve Rogers until those final two pages.

Nick Spencer might be a bit heavy-handed on his politics, but 1) I agree with them and 2) he really did go out of his way to illustrate how most people aren't really "bad", just flawed and prone to being manipulated by the people who actually hold all the cards. Like all the stuff about the suicide bomber, that was great stuff.

But yeah, those final two pages. Oofah doofah.

I mean, yeah, almost certainly gonna be dismissed, and I'm trying to keep an open mind...but eesh.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Best (well, 'best') part is you know they'll try and defend making Cap a literal Nazi with "Hydra aren't Nazis now!", while using Man In The High Castle as a touchstone for the story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It would probably be more interesting if SHIELD hadn't been revealed as part of Hydra not too long ago. Like, who isn't Hydra by now?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm expecting a super dumb twist at the end of the run now. Chekhov's mind powers are sitting on the mantle and so Red Skull unable to cope with Steve not being the perfect representative of the America he hates fixes Steve's brain and that how they tie it all up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

Best (well, 'best') part is you know they'll try and defend making Cap a literal Nazi with "Hydra aren't Nazis now!", while using Man In The High Castle as a touchstone for the story.

Issue one of Captain America Steve Rogers didn't shy away from reinforcing that Hydra are still totally Nazis. The most prominent Hydra member had a swastika tattoo, so yeah. At least they're committing to the premise.

Seriously the first issue of this run is really quite good outside of the last two pages, and considering I do really like Spencer's Sam Wilson run I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt moving forward, especially if this is just a Cosmic Cube rewrite and the story is about Steve recognizing and somehow eliminating that aspect. There's a lot to like about the first issue, it's just sort of under the cloud of Cap killing Jack Flag and saying "Hail Hydra."

At the very least I'm willing to give Spencer enough rope to hang himself.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Zachack posted:

Bentley-23 threw the idea inside Franklin's idea hat because there are no rules.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Note in the flashback pages where Steve meets "Elisa Sinclair," they're colored in muted grays and blues except for Elisa, who's always wearing bright red.

The Red Skull was also right there on the scene when Steve fought Crossbones in the Pleasant Hill crossover. Hell, the advantage of Kobik is that she's a sentient Cosmic Cube, so he could've easily made suggestions to her while she was rejuvenating Steve.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Endless Mike posted:

It would probably be more interesting if SHIELD hadn't been revealed as part of Hydra not too long ago. Like, who isn't Hydra by now?

Sunspot. Because he's AIM.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Wanderer posted:

Note in the flashback pages where Steve meets "Elisa Sinclair," they're colored in muted grays and blues except for Elisa, who's always wearing bright red.

The Red Skull was also right there on the scene when Steve fought Crossbones in the Pleasant Hill crossover. Hell, the advantage of Kobik is that she's a sentient Cosmic Cube, so he could've easily made suggestions to her while she was rejuvenating Steve.

Elisa Sinclair is also an anagram for "Sin Racial Lies" so maybe Sin did it? :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ferrule posted:

Sunspot. Because he's AIM.

BUT WHAT IF AIM IS HYDRA?

DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

JoshTheStampede posted:

Elisa Sinclair is also an anagram for "Sin Racial Lies" so maybe Sin did it? :v:

It's also an anagram for Eclair Ails Sin. She's just having some indigestion.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Toxxupation posted:

Cap killing Jack Flag and saying "Hail Hydra."
Nooooo:saddowns:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Bleh. Any chance we can blame all this on the Phoenix and Steve's still in Dimension Z?
Also I just rifled through my wallet and it turns out I'm a communist, a Stonecutter, the president of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance for some reason, and yeah, I'm in Hydra, too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Thus, by a process of association, we can safely conclude that HYDRA is responsible for Steve Guttenberg's career. It checks out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The newest issue of Uncanny Inhumans was really, really great. Paid off a confrontation eight months in the making without cheapening Crystal, Medusa, or Johnny's characters.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

We don't know that he kills Jack Flagg. Cap pushes him out of an aircraft that's flying around the city. It's about the height of a tall building (seeing as that's how they jumped onto it) so it's reasonable that Jack Flag could have survived. They never show him dying.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean nobody is really buying the end of that Captain America regardless of the article right? It's clear his past was tampered with somehow. Probably by Skull through Kobik. Just like he did with the other Captain America.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Over on Reddit its full meltdown mode like nobody has ever read a comic book before. I get not liking this idea for an arc but like half the posts in seeing are people declaring Marvel dead to them and cancelling Marvel Unlimited, convinced Marvel is making Steve a Nazi for good, and Marvel hates the white man.

On the other hand, it's reddit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I'm getting some real second-hand embarrassment from non-comics people reacting to this like it's a real thing that's happening

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

I mean nobody is really buying the end of that Captain America regardless of the article right? It's clear his past was tampered with somehow. Probably by Skull through Kobik. Just like he did with the other Captain America.

The internet at large is buying it and is super pissed, or at least the level of comics fans who don't read comics but still decide to get mad at everything they hear are. I've seen a lot of FB/Twitter complaining about it being lazy writing and a slap in the face to long time fans.

I don't really get it, it's like these people have never seen a last-page reveal that turns out to be something else, despite that being like the oldest trick in comics. But yes, assuming NIck Spencer isn't straight up lying when he says it's not mind control, then it's Kobik re-writing his history when she repowered him, probably influenced by Skull or Zemo or someone else who was at Pleasant Hill. Hell, maybe the cube that is Kobik is the one that Skull used to have and it still carries some of his resonance or whatever.

\/\/\/ They definitely are, they're seeing the imgur of the last page, along with learning third-hand that "the writers said its totally real and not mind control"

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 25, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I get the feeling that a lot of people are just reading a few out-of-context panels, rather than the full issue or the handful of relevant issues that came before it.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I'm getting some real second-hand embarrassment from non-comics people reacting to this like it's a real thing that's happening

To make it even better, when they hear in a few months time that Captain America isn't a Nazi, they'll think their outrage made the writers change their mind rather than that being the plan all along. They sure showed those liberal elitist types over at Marvel!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey guys. I hear Dr. Octopus is going to be Spider-Man going forward. For real. Peter is actually completely dead. No take backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Dead is dead. Like Superman.

• Locked thread