Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

OctoberBlues posted:

Hey I remember starting this thread!

I recently made my first ebay sell, sold something I bought for $5 for $150. It all went smoothly, I apologize ebay.

When did the words sell and sale become interchangeable? I see it more and more these days. Are people just that uneducated?

Also see "advise" and "advice"

/end word Nazism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shopping on eBay is sort of fun lately because sending people low-ball offers on over-priced poo poo drives anyone still dumb enough to sell on eBay loving insane in a lot of cases lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i buy a fair amount of ham radio stuff on ebay, or at least I did.

The oddest thing to me is how overseas sellers will have expensive radios at about 125% of their actual accepted retail value. Not talking super rare stuff - current, in-production things you could go into a shop and buy for $1000 today, they have for $1300 or whatever. And then they stack the hilarious "EMS" shipping rates on top so that's another $200.

It's always foreign sellers, and I noticed that it follows economic woes. Like, last year or so, every shady auction of this nature was from Greece.

Laundering ops or something?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Once in a while there will be an item I know is underpriced and I'll snag it and resell it... the fees make it brutal though.

Amazon's fees are really brutal, too. 15% off the top doesn't sound like much but that actually cuts into profit margins quite a bit unless you're selling lovely imported goods at 2x markup (and hey surprise surprise the site is flooded with that stuff now). People have started to just ship from overseas factories directly to Amazon warehouses for their 'Fulfilled by Amazon' thing, and I swear the site is becoming more and more shiesty every day.

Also they don't coordinate with sellers at all so the same exact item could be listed 10 different ways on the website, and every one of those 10 'different' items could be listed as Large, LARGE, large, and L because there are just 10 people all selling the same thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Professor Shark posted:

Shopping on eBay is sort of fun lately because sending people low-ball offers on over-priced poo poo drives anyone still dumb enough to sell on eBay loving insane in a lot of cases lol

Yeah, before I buy anything I always check for eBay with Buy It Now or Best Offers and super lowball, and typically I get it for a lot less.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

i buy a fair amount of ham radio stuff on ebay, or at least I did.

The oddest thing to me is how overseas sellers will have expensive radios at about 125% of their actual accepted retail value. Not talking super rare stuff - current, in-production things you could go into a shop and buy for $1000 today, they have for $1300 or whatever. And then they stack the hilarious "EMS" shipping rates on top so that's another $200.

It's always foreign sellers, and I noticed that it follows economic woes. Like, last year or so, every shady auction of this nature was from Greece.

Laundering ops or something?

i'd imagine there is a lot better way to launder money than that poo poo, who knows, maybe just incompetent store fronts and stuff. ebay is pretty poo poo, in a lot of cases just heading over to amazon you can find it like up to 30% cheaper new (amazon used stuff is kind of lovely overpriced too). ebay is still OK for some relatively rare old stuff but usually not.

Roylicious posted:

Once in a while there will be an item I know is underpriced and I'll snag it and resell it... the fees make it brutal though.
Also they don't coordinate with sellers at all so the same exact item could be listed 10 different ways on the website, and every one of those 10 'different' items could be listed as Large, LARGE, large, and L because there are just 10 people all selling the same thing.
that reminds me of all the stay at home moms trying to run ebay businesses doing that in the mid/early 00s. i dont think people do that much anymore because fees are really bad and there's enough bots and poo poo so stuff doesn't usually go that much underpriced.

but yeah amazons third party selling is a pretty big mess.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I recently bought a sun shade for my old Hyundai direct from Korea for $30, when exact OEM replacements were about $180. The warning label is in Korean, but otherwise it works great!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whenever I buy something from China with Free Shipping and it hasn't been delivered within 1 day of the estimated last delivery date I contact the seller and get whatever I bought for free.

I have a few belts for my girlfriend and "Google Cardboard" expected within a few days, and I'm ready to email and threaten negative feedback already

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I love browsing the big Chinese industrial outlet sellers on eBay, like I've been picking up some basic electronics so browsing some of these industrial producers, you'll see pages and pages of LEDs and IC chips and then a bunch of scarves and dresses... and they're all so cheap. I got a pack of LEDs that was $1.00 with free shipping from China and arrived in a week and a half, I don't get how they made any money

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think they all must be trying to improve their feedback. I've never had a package from China arrive on time, or even within a week of on time, so even the super low prices ($4, 4 cotton webbing belts my girlfriend wears, shipped free) is a-okay with them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
1:Order not-100%-functional item that seller has classified as "Used" on ebay
2: buy item
3: As soon as you get it, file "Item not as described" dispute because all "used" items on ebay have to be 100% functional
4:Ship a brick back in the box, keep the item.

There is literally absolutely no seller recourse for this. They can't even give the buyer negative feedback. Oh, and if you're lucky ebay is running a "Return shipping is free!" deal, so the seller's paying for that brick's transit.

its hilarious

John Denver Hoxha posted:

I love browsing the big Chinese industrial outlet sellers on eBay, like I've been picking up some basic electronics so browsing some of these industrial producers, you'll see pages and pages of LEDs and IC chips and then a bunch of scarves and dresses... and they're all so cheap. I got a pack of LEDs that was $1.00 with free shipping from China and arrived in a week and a half, I don't get how they made any money

the "shenzhen express" or whatever the gently caress we have going on now is amazing. I can order rare RF transistors off ebay and have them in my hands from Asia in ten calendar days.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark Top eBay Tip: Order as much paracord as you want, only do it in small, 25' shipments, which the Chinese give their lowest priority to and thus always miss shipping deadlines for, then file with them within a day or two of the last possible arrival date and threaten negative feedback.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Professor Shark posted:

Professor Shark Top eBay Tip: Order as much paracord as you want, only do it in small, 25' shipments, which the Chinese give their lowest priority to and thus always miss shipping deadlines for, then file with them within a day or two of the last possible arrival date and threaten negative feedback.

haha, off to order single quantity resistors like a _motherfucker_

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jacobin posted:

Ive of course known eBay has existed for many years but holy poo poo, first time seller, I have now had to relist my iPhone 6 for the fifth time now after OBVIOUS scammers each time put in ludicriously high bids and either never pay or want my personal information. Had a bunch of scammy people try and text me for my paypal email. I tried upping the requirements for who can bid on the item and I just got fake bids from hacked accounts with feedback, What the gently caress how does anyone sell anything on this website

Whats my next best option if its not 5th time lucky Im the gently caress off of here

Swappa

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Honestly it feels like that thing where anything free is inherently worthless... I guess I could use some paracord right now, maybe, but :effort:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
swappa or CL. don't ever sell anything on ebay. I have bought like 15k or poo poo off there, i sold a $120 laptop once and the dude disputed and screamed, fortunately i'd changed my checking account info and ebay couldn't auto-withdraw his refund. owned fuckers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I started just filming myself packing and sending my poo poo, the offer (warning) to send it to buyers/ Paypal seems enough

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Cartouche posted:

When did the words sell and sale become interchangeable? I see it more and more these days. Are people just that uneducated?

Also see "advise" and "advice"

/end word Nazism

lol, I apologize that my error triggered you and exposed my ignorance. I'll make sure to proofread my posts from now on in the General Bullshit section of the Something Awful forums.

:smugdon:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

lol, I apologize that my error triggered you and exposed my ignorance. I'll make sure to proofread my posts from now on in the General Bullshit section of the Something Awful forums.

:smugdon:

Jesus dude just tell him to gently caress off

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus dude just tell him to gently caress off

I was trying to mirror his smug arrogance. I just can't do anything right in this thread!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I make 100000 annually selling haunted items on ebay. Please do not destroy my business.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I've been trying to sell sweaters I don't wear anymore on eBay and all I'm getting are buyers who bid and then refuse to pay.

I've always wondered why people do this. What do they get out of pretending to buy things?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I've always wondered why people do this. What do they get out of pretending to buy things?

The rush, then the horrifying realization they can't afford the item after buying so much other crap and their credit card bill minimum payments slowly increasing

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

The rush, then the horrifying realization they can't afford the item after buying so much other crap and their credit card bill minimum payments slowly increasing

It seems to be addictive, I looked at the feedback of one guy who brought some junk from me and never bothered paying, he had done this multiple times, including buying a truck and never turning up to get it. I don't know why he hadn't been banned yet.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There are a large amount of odd sells on eBay, Nest Protect - Box and manual only was a recent surprise. What's the point other than screwing unfortunate people over?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

first thing I bought on ebay in a decade was that big expansion pack for Destiny that's £40 if you get it through the playstation storefront, some guy had a code up for £18. wonder what i'll buy in 2026

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
because i am a manchild i bought a nintendo 3ds on ebay earlier in the year because i wanted to play one game and didn't have the system. It cost me $60 dollars, and that was my first ebay purchase in at least a decade. Auctions seem like a total waste of time if people still use that software that autobids at the last possible second.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I sold my iPhone so all complaints are forgiven

maybe not selling a smartphone on eBay ever again tho

E: furiously taking pictures and documenting my package as I put it into the mail, worried that whoever actually paid me is gonna say it arrived broken and try and scam me again so paranoid

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Things not to sell on ebay: smartphones, sneakers, streetwear of any kind

Things ok to sell: weird specialty equipment bought primarily by potbellied bearded men

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
is this more or less embarassing than that old freegan thread

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Xaris posted:

that reminds me of all the stay at home moms trying to run ebay businesses doing that in the mid/early 00s. i dont think people do that much anymore because fees are really bad and there's enough bots and poo poo so stuff doesn't usually go that much underpriced.

but yeah amazons third party selling is a pretty big mess.

Yeah that's true but for some collector's items it is easier. It's hard to have a bot really make a value judgement on a picture for example - a lot of the time I'll see just a general lot of 'stuff' and in the photo I spot something I know will sell for a pretty penny so based on that alone I bid. I don't know how a bot would emulate that really.

LEGO sells like hotcakes and there's all kinds of people putting their kids' old stuff up on there with a lovely title/description. Snagged a set for $30 that I ended up selling to a collector for $200 after I cleaned the dust/grime off the pieces simply because the seller didn't know what it was and didn't bother to spend 5-10 mins googling before just putting up a generic title/description.

But yeah, it is more of an idle hobby than a way to make money. It's too hit or miss.

Say Nothing posted:

I think a lot of the time they end up bidding on a few different items expecting to not win them all. For example you've got $50 to spend but you don't know if you'll actually win that $25 bid so you throw a bid on a few other items. Then in the end oops you won 3 auctions but I only want 1 of them.

e: aw my avatar :(

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 25, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I use ebay enough because I collect poo poo like geigers and dosimeters and poo poo like that. I can find pretty nice soviet stuff selling for under a hundred bucks with shipping. The downside is actual US CD geigers, despite the thousands upon thousands out there, are being sold as "vintage" and "rare" to the point the going rate is $150 just for the damned geiger. Every now and then a full kit pops up that lists for the same, but most of the time it's the kit minus the geiger because they could sell that alone and double the payout.

Ebay's great for finding odd poo poo, but you gotta wade through a lot of the sellers that want a huge payout because there's still a get rich quick stigma.

I've won a few auctions that got pulled though. Won a reproduction pickelhaube for 29 bucks. The auction was pulled because the item was "damaged".
Bought a huge tent that lists for 300 bucks for 75. The listing got pulled after the seller realized the mistake.
Won an auction for a vaseline oil lamp for 50 bucks with a buyitnow at 300. The item got pulled because it was supposedly sold in his physical store.

Professor Shark posted:

I started just filming myself packing and sending my poo poo, the offer (warning) to send it to buyers/ Paypal seems enough

I wondered why that guy I bought a geiger from in the Ukraine was so insistent that I see pictures of the whole inspection and boxing and video of him handing it over to the post. Makes a lot more sense now

Tenzarin posted:

I make 100000 annually selling haunted items on ebay. Please do not destroy my business.

I would believe this is honestly legit. People are loving stupid when it comes to haunted/alien/mystical poo poo.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 25, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

revmoo posted:

Imo ebay has gotten better and amazon is way worse. I stopped using amazon when I got a defective item and amazon told me to take it up with the seller. What loving seller? Their whole 'marketplace' system is a crock of poo poo. If you take my money I expect you to provide support. Not Best1electronic who wants me to ship my poo poo to china out of my own pocket. Don't even get me started on Prime. Hmm yes let me pay $85 a year to find out nothing is actually prime eligible. Also gently caress them in the rear end for waiting 8 days and then overnighting my poo poo because I only paid for ground shipping, even though they clearly have the logistics in place to ship overnight to my city by default.

At least sites like B&H are still around and have basically the exact same prices.

Lol

bradzilla posted:

Sorry you can't read product descriptions. It's pretty easy to tell if a product is sold by Amazon or a 3rd party.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
When a synth kit finally put up the bill of materials I went and cleared out the last of some harder to find transistors and sold them back at 100% profit. Felt like some world of Warcraft poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Ebay's great for finding odd poo poo, but you gotta wade through a lot of the sellers that want a huge payout because there's still a get rich quick stigma.

The idiots that are on there pretending they have a business instead of an online yard sale are terrible.

The dumbest thing I've seen recently was someone buying full-priced items from J Crew then selling them for an additional 20% or so. Those guys always get really angry when you make low/reasonable offers as well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

When a synth kit finally put up the bill of materials I went and cleared out the last of some harder to find transistors and sold them back at 100% profit. Felt like some world of Warcraft poo poo

excellent move, nice lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm taking ur irony at face value And you can't stop me

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Professor Shark posted:

The idiots that are on there pretending they have a business instead of an online yard sale are terrible.

The dumbest thing I've seen recently was someone buying full-priced items from J Crew then selling them for an additional 20% or so. Those guys always get really angry when you make low/reasonable offers as well.

Hell, I used to have a coworker when I worked for Vlasic that would go to the company store, buy shittons of pickles for a buck a jar, then sell them on ebay for 8 bucks a pop because they were "factory fresh" when in all reality they were likely a month or so old.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man I wish I worked at a pickle factory...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

In 2000 or so I emailed a guy an offer on a laptop and he sent back a screed about "THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!" and a bunch of poo poo like that. So I went into the IRC channel that I got my mp3s from at the time and asked them to go to their site and email in lowball offers on a laptop or two and the next day there was red text all over the site about THIS IS A STORE! YOU DON'T GO INTO FUTURE SHOP AND TRY TO LOWBALL THEM!

• Locked thread