Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Shave Seltzer, commenting about Apollo Crews not selling his beating in the back, says there's a new directive that says that you can't sell injuries anymore because the fans paid their money to see a performance and you need to get all your poo poo in to send them home happy.

Getting jumped/attacked by the heel is how half of all angles start, but let's have the face act like it didn't affect them at all. Brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Shave Seltzer, commenting about Apollo Crews not selling his beating in the back, says there's a new directive that says that you can't sell injuries anymore because the fans paid their money to see a performance and you need to get all your poo poo in to send them home happy.

Oh, good, now they can have Roman get attacked constantly backstage without that having any repercussions on his ability to one spear and done his opponents. That'll get him over for sure.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Everyone needs to chill the gently caress out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oguSX8VJR78

Crews was gingerly thrown into a box and then Shaemus got into his face. It was hardly a beating worth selling like a cripple for. There wasn't even any kicking, punching, chair shots, or anything worth calling this a beat down

Are you sure this isn't Meltzer speculating to anger up the blood of his readers?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Astro7x posted:

Crews was gingerly thrown into a box and then Shaemus got into his face. It was hardly a beating worth selling like a cripple for. There wasn't even any kicking, punching, chair shots, or anything worth calling this a beat down

Are you sure this isn't Meltzer speculating to anger up the blood of his readers?

The same exact thing happened in the kalisto/rusev match.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ever since Roman won with a spear 10 seconds after taking half a dozen chairshots at Fastlane it's been crystal clear that nothing that happens in the body of a Roman match actually matters and that makes me unable to get into them or rate them highly no matter how technically proficient the work is

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

That's a booking problem, not a problem with the actual workers

I will still hold that Roman did well and AJ killed himself to make it an incredible match. To me rating it lower due to booking outside of the control of the wrestlers themselves is insulting to them.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Dumb millenials, quit trying so godamn hard, I don't want you going too hard or pretending you have a fake injury, just do your flippy poo poo and move on. You are so lazy, do you even care there's a brass ring to grab?

This is good

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Ostentatious posted:

That's a booking problem, not a problem with the actual workers

I will still hold that Roman did well and AJ killed himself to make it an incredible match. To me rating it lower due to booking outside of the control of the wrestlers themselves is insulting to them.

The booking absolutely matters to how good the viewing experience, and thus the wrestling match is. Just like you can book to hide a wrestler's weaknesses you can diminish phenomenal work by making it lack drama or meaning.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tonfa posted:

Ever since Roman won with a spear 10 seconds after taking half a dozen chairshots at Fastlane it's been crystal clear that nothing that happens in the body of a Roman match actually matters and that makes me unable to get into them or rate them highly no matter how technically proficient the work is

It will finish everybody until it doesn't, to make a guy look legit, then it will be AA-level devalued so that it only puts away people like Heath Slater or AJ Styles.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tonfa posted:

It will finish everybody until it doesn't, to make a guy look legit, then it will be AA-level devalued so that it only puts away people like Heath Slater or AJ Styles.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Paulocaust posted:

Yeah but I'm working under the assumption that they would treat this title as a mini heavyweight title and have the champ not get beaten like a loser chump in non title matches, or have guys in the division job to Heath Slater on Main Event.

Does anyone have faith that having 2 world titles would be good? No one cared what ABC title Floyd Mayweather or Manny held or were fighting over, they were the draw. But I understand winning those titles is what makes the worker a draw but having two "world" titles in one company the only difference is one has storylines smackdown and one on raw but both are defended at the same network specials? That is not exclusivity, that is pandering to the dieing television market.

I really hope that this new cruiserweight champion is not just king of the guys below 5'10" or the Under 100 kilo Title. WWE titles should be used as the props in storylines and not worrying about trying to have gold on all their top guys. Some of the best stories are the heel winning the title and the chase for the face to get it back, or a new champion finally winning and the crowd getting behind them. You do not need more titles for that to happen.

I like the idea that Steph/Shane can have competition trying to get say #1 contenders for the Heavyweight, Women's, and Tag titles. Workers moving back and forth from smackdown to raw with Steph/Shane trying to get workers to appear on their shows more exclusively. The idea of a draft and going thru the motions of determining value of the roster seems like a nightmare. Just have Steph/Shane be the gatekeepers to live TV and the workers wanting to get on TV. Then you could have stuff like Roman walking out on a Raw after Steph slaps him and walking into Smackdown. Then Steph having to kowtow to Roman and say give the Usos TV time to get Roman back on Raw.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paulocaust posted:

Yeah but I'm working under the assumption that they would treat this title as a mini heavyweight title

Now you have me hoping that they just use a toy replica belt and I'm going to be disappointed when they don't.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I look forward to Roman's 2015 Cena year.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Tonfa posted:

I look forward to Roman's 2015 Cena year.

Roman vs. Cena at Wrestlemania 38

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Brand split is great because Roman can gently caress off to Raw forever and I can easily never watch him again. His horrific promos and pathetic booking combined with them shoving him down our loving throats has turned me off to him permanently.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Astro7x posted:

He also brought up the example of Ambrose not selling the aftermath of the Asylum match despite JBL talking about how much pain he had to be in after such a match lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/aj-styles-on-working-with-roman-reigns-and-why-he-prefers-the-dry-look-20160526

AJ Styles posted:

Absolutely. I think [Roman]'s a better athlete than a lot of people realize. He should get a lot more credit for his athleticism. He's unbelievable, he can do a lot of stuff. I think he's been able to showcase that with me. We're doing something right – I don't think people gave Roman a chance; in fact. I think a lot of fans jumped on the bandwagon when someone started booing, instead of taking the chance to see what he could do in the ring.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"...now please remove the gun from my temple."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Yeah the brand split is cool because even if it means losing Seth, Ambrose, the New Day, and others who will likely get stuck on the Reigns Show I can pretend only Smackdown exists and someone interesting might be champion, even if it is Cena 70 percent of the time. Cool Man Cena beats The BoosHound Roman Reigns any day of the week

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Roman's wrestling isn't great but it's only 4th or 5th on the list of reasons why people despise him.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is the title made of marshmallows in this scenario because that's equally likely

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

That DICK! posted:

Yeah the brand split is cool because even if it means losing Seth, Ambrose, the New Day, and others who will likely get stuck on the Reigns Show I can pretend only Smackdown exists and someone interesting might be champion, even if it is Cena 70 percent of the time. Cool Man Cena beats The BoosHound Roman Reigns any day of the week

You can always just watch New Day clips on the internet and have the best of both worlds

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Roman Reigns is very good at wrestling. He's just a victim of WWE booking.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Yeah all those corner spots and poo poo sort of jumping clotheslines are great. Great wresting real cool.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Even though this is another example of the company fighting the crowd, which clearly wants Rollins as a face and Reigns as a heel, it’s very clear they believe Reigns is the only guy who can be the new face of the company. With Rollins, while he is a natural face, the sides remain unbalanced in WWE going forward. Reigns isn’t slated to turn no matter how the reaction has been. So you’ve got Reigns, Brock Lesnar and John Cena, who returns next week, as the stars on the face side going into SummerSlam, not to mention people like A.J. Styles, Sami Zayn who fans would like to see in that mix. I’d say Dean Ambrose but his star really fell in that Lesnar program. Similar booking could yield similar results for Styles, really, sooner than later if they aren’t careful.

The heel side really only had Kevin Owens, and to an extent Rusev and Chris Jericho, so Rollins on the face side would make things more imbalanced. It’s also the reason why the Wyatt Family turn that was shot before injuries took Wyatt and Luke Harper out of play is likely to be forgotten since they need Wyatt on that side.

quote:

It’s also the reason why the Wyatt Family turn that was shot before injuries took Wyatt and Luke Harper out of play is likely to be forgotten since they need Wyatt on that side.

Hope you enjoyed that one week the fans cheered for and liked the Wyatts and they were winning because of it, it's not ever happening again :laffo:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

Hope you enjoyed that one week the fans cheered for and liked the Wyatts and they were winning because of it, it's not ever happening again :laffo:

awwww bray's finger point spot loving owned and I would have loved to see more of it

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Phew, for a second there I almost gave a poo poo about the Wyatt Family. Really dodged that bullet.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2016 Vince McMahon is the stupidest son of a bitch on the entire planet. Not only does the product suffer for it, so do his pockets.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SamuraiFoochs posted:

2016 Vince McMahon is the stupidest son of a bitch on the entire planet. Not only does the product suffer for it, so do his pockets.

I believe a certain Crazy Mariachi once said on live television that he was a millionaire who should be a billionaire.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
'We don't have enough top heels'

'meh, just shoehorn people into the spots, why bother building someone new up, beep boop'

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Roman has had some good matches and he doesn't botch that often and remembers his spots pretty well. He's absolutely better than Cena but that's because both have been carried by booking and road agents. If your definition of Roman Reigns being a "good wrestler" is that he is capable of having good matches, then yes he's a good wrestler. So is that blowup doll that had a four star match with Kota Ibushi and so is the little Japanese Undertaker Girl. If your defintion of a "good wrestler" is technically proficiency, charisma and ability to cut a promo, then he's a dogshit idiot that should go away forever.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Hardcore WWE fans are like heroin addicts that keep chasing after that Attitude Era high while only getting some stepped on poo poo in return.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Roman Reigns is a big walking poop factory

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Roman Reigns, the David Flair of wrestling, the Erik Watts of wrestling, the world champion for the next forever.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I'm worried about the brand split but they've actually been running a successful brand split for the last 3 years (NXT) so it'll probably be better this time around.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think in 2016 Vince is just a grumpy old man playing with his action figures because there's no way he can screw up badly enough to feel it in his lifetime.

Paulocaust posted:

He's absolutely better than Cena
What the gently caress

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 26, 2016

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also the idea of needing a top face for a generation is so dumb and antiquated and has literally never worked. Ride a guy's momentum and popularity for as long as it lasts (late 80s Hogan, late 90s Austin, mid 00s Cena) but the crowd turned on Hogan, would have turned on Austin if he didn't retire early, turned on Cena and now have turned on Roman before he even became the guy because we've seen this dance before. NJPW even lost my interest a year or so back because I got tired of seeing the same drat matchups all the time. WWE was always it's best when there were 8-10 that could be champ at any given time. Attitude Era you could have had a credible champion in Austin, Rock, HHH, Taker, Mankind, Kane, Big Show, Jericho, etc... During the Heyman era Smackdown, you had Cena, Angle, Lesnar, Undertaker, Edge, Benoit, Guerrero, Rey, and even had Hogan and Rock early on. Now the only guys with legitimate shots at the title are Cena, Rollins, Reigns......? How am I supposed to care about a 3 hour show when 90% of the roster, including the guy in the main event program that just had 3 very good matches with the champ, have literally 0 chance at the title in the immediate future or probably ever.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

Also the idea of needing a top face for a generation is so dumb and antiquated and has literally never worked.

This is literally the stupidest thing ever said in any wrestling thread ever.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Great White Hope posted:

This is literally the stupidest thing ever said in any wrestling thread ever.

I don't know man, people have said some stupid stuff in wrestling threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

Hardcore WWE fans are like heroin addicts that keep chasing after that Attitude Era high while only getting some stepped on poo poo in return.

These comparisons will never stop being tasteless, bad, and stupid Ooohh, compare us to victims of domestic abuse next!

Seriously WWE is dumb as gently caress in terms of choices of top face and much of Vince's management but acting like a majority of WWE's product hasn't had a good amount of watch-worthy highs over the last...6-ish years is utter idiocy. I think 2007-2008 was pretty poo poo from what I can remember, but...

OatmealRaisin posted:

I think in 2016 Vince is just a grumpy old man playing with his action figures because there's no way he can screw up badly enough to feel it in his lifetime.

I agree, I'm just saying he's a loving idiot who either doesn't realize he's an idiot or doesn't care. Also most of the evidence we have DOES suggest things will be better under the "doofus son-in-law" since people love to quote Punk so much (he was right about a lot of it, don't get it twisted).

• Locked thread