Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to change the subject here.

I'm glad life is kicking Dahara in the balls cause that dude is a major loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm going to change the subject here.

I'm glad life is kicking Dahara in the balls cause that dude is a major loser.

The endless suffering of Dahara is one of my favorite parts of this show. Which makes me half-expect that the show's going to Mitsumune him and actually make him likable eventually, but given that he's an actual adult if they did that it probably wouldn't work so well.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:stare: This thread is going to be the monster that chases me in the lost village, loving hell.

Also, surprise bus out of nowhere loving killed me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That horribly grounded portrayal of mob mentality almost resulting in a literal witch hunt is scary as gently caress. The fact that people can just come up with whatever magic justification they want (ur a ghost) since monsters already roam around (or at least they think so, since they're all psychologically off) just makes it worse.

This alone probably makes Mayoiga the scariest horror movie/series i've seen, or at least makes it rank way up there, since it instills a kind of existential dread that lingers a while. We all like to think we're rational thinkers and totally wouldn't fall for the mob think in that situation, but statistics say you're most likely wrong and it's a very human thing to do.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i watched the scene of nanko playing with her stomach several times because i was sure it was a signal to masaki or something. obviously they're not just going to show a closeup of that for a joke, right?

nope

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i watched the scene of nanko playing with her stomach several times because i was sure it was a signal to masaki or something. obviously they're not just going to show a closeup of that for a joke, right?

nope

what's the joke

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
nanko is the best

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Huh. I only just now remembered to catch up on the last three episodes of Mayoiga. Glad I did that, show continues to be good. I really like Mikage - he's such a pathetic rear end in a top hat, yet he keeps trying to be the smart leader, it's hilarious. Once he loses his mind completely, it'll be great. :allears:
I still don't trust Mitsumune. These last few episodes, the show wasn't quite as harsh on him as I thought it would be. He's amazingly decent, if kinda pathetic so far. But who knows, I'm sure he'll freak out for real sooner or later, leading to Lion and Nanko taking over as the real protagonists.

I gotta say, though - this show is kinda ugly. Not quite as ugly as Higurashi, another anime that I definitely didn't follow for the pretty pictures, but... bland. Drab. Everybody looks like a 12-year old. Anything beyond staying still and talking looks awkward. Meh.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

what's the joke

that rolling your fat in your fingers like a pen is a strange thing to do

The Devil Tesla posted:

nanko is the best

yeah

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

that rolling your fat in your fingers like a pen is a strange thing to do

yeah

She's a Great Detective. They all have weird tics when they're deep in thought.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

also i am hoping for a dramatic reveal where it turns out okabe rintaro icebound ecclesiastes' eyepatch is not an affectation.

e: something else i thought of. they introduced masaki by having her talk about her fortune telling exercise at the vending machine. i'm surprised we didn't get more neuroticisms like that. instead she's just bland up until things turn.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 28, 2016

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
we have three episodes left and still know gently caress-all about half of the cast

the three yuunas haven't done anything and an episode was named after them

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i brushed this off earlier because angry mobs aren't the best thinkers, but speedstar still thinks masaki is a ghost. they kept saying she must be "bound to the village" too. did they all forget how she signed up for this tour on the internet, met them in the city, and then rode on the bus with them?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Do you think Mitsumune escaped, or merely reached another level? He seemed to be conquering his fear, but that hospital bed could be a flashback thing.

It's interesting that the cousin is still there, assuming he is the one who rescued the girls.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

i brushed this off earlier because angry mobs aren't the best thinkers, but speedstar still thinks masaki is a ghost. they kept saying she must be "bound to the village" too. did they all forget how she signed up for this tour on the internet, met them in the city, and then rode on the bus with them?

"Another" manipulated the memories and records of all the characters, so assuming she's a ghost is still not beyond the pail

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Turns out it was all an admission test into the real Nanaki Village.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gyra_Solune posted:

we have three episodes left and still know gently caress-all about half of the cast

the three yuunas haven't done anything and an episode was named after them

Yeah, this probably isn't going to wrap up in any way that is satisfying.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I have to be honest with you folks. I was expecting/hoping for werewolves being the cause of all things gone wrong with this mystery.

Instead. I don't know. At this point, I'd have to say "Fog".

Or "tunnels".

Also, Speedstar is way, way hosed up.

I'm still hoping for werewolves... or vampires even.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
Maybe they will end it "Cabin in the Woods" style.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Terribly?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

show ends on a non-ender, stay tuned for the VN continuation that comes out in 2017!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I believe in Mari Okada

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Major Ricardo posted:

Maybe they will end it "Cabin in the Woods" style.

Thoroughly?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mitsumune's big, dramatic showdown with his teeny-tiny monster was funny as hell.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i assumed the tiny size indicated he was on top of things. but then, you know. the rest of the episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

i assumed the tiny size indicated he was on top of things. but then, you know. the rest of the episode.

I suspect with many of these monsters that they're deliberately making them look cheap, silly, and unreal. You know, really emphasising that low-budget horror movie aesthetic. Valkana's was basically a big wobbly CG blob, and Nyanta's wasp kind of looked like it was made of papier-mache.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I suspect with many of these monsters that they're deliberately making them look cheap, silly, and unreal. You know, really emphasising that low-budget horror movie aesthetic. Valkana's was basically a big wobbly CG blob, and Nyanta's wasp kind of looked like it was made of papier-mache.

I sure was scared as gently caress by Lovepon's slow-moving still image with its slight mesh deformation

It IS kinda tongue-in-cheek, though... Valkana even remarked that his "monster" moved kinda slowly

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I sure was scared as gently caress by Lovepon's slow-moving still image with its slight mesh deformation

It IS kinda tongue-in-cheek, though... Valkana even remarked that his "monster" moved kinda slowly

Yeah, that's one bit I was particularly thinking of. Meanwhile, Mitsumune's penguin looks like the effects guys hosed up their miniature work, which can only be a joke in an animated show.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the wasp was accompanied by Flight of the Bumblebee (2016 Mix). they might have showed their parody hand too early.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Torquemadras posted:

I'd assumed that was because he was starting to get a handle over his trauma.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

The monsters have always moved ridiculously slowly, in that B-movie 'oh poo poo I hope this prop doesn't fall apart' way. Besides, given how Valk reacted to it, the odds on him adjusting seem low.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kyte posted:

If that's the case, it makes even less sense than it did before. Years and years of parental abuse isn't something you get over in a couple days, with or without an awful penguin abomination chasing after you while your new friends try to burn your girlfriend at the stake.

You'd expect those with more "minor" grievances (Mikage, for instance) to get over their issues much faster. I guess we'll know once MaiMai re-enters the tunnel and we see how big her giant Mitsumune is now, being the one character that we know is actively and semi-successfully trying to work past her problems.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
mikage's not getting over that any time soon, his personality is that he thinks really highly of himself, and so he takes any personal failure really badly

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Or maybe it is an anime with a really low budget.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Or maybe it is an anime with a really low budget.

Contrary to what you think, this does not contradict his point

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kytrarewn posted:

If that's the case, it makes even less sense than it did before. Years and years of parental abuse isn't something you get over in a couple days, with or without an awful penguin abomination chasing after you while your new friends try to burn your girlfriend at the stake.
I said "getting a handle on their traumas", not "getting over them". Mitsumune's obviously not gonna get over it overnight, but he's finally facing the problem head-on.

Nanko spells it out pretty clearly at the end, too. And ten bucks that's what the whole accept Nanaki thing is about as well.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

I expect the bar for the village to let someone go is "acknowledged issues and got a handle on addressing them". no one so far is going to totally get over their problems in one dramatic scene, but I bet we'll get a bunch of those.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

You'd expect those with more "minor" grievances (Mikage, for instance) to get over their issues much faster. I guess we'll know once MaiMai re-enters the tunnel and we see how big her giant Mitsumune is now, being the one character that we know is actively and semi-successfully trying to work past her problems.

Well the episode and the preview both implied that the village is affecting people's minds. It seems to be desensitizing people resulting in MaiMai being less affected by her trauma and other people going too far and becoming complacent and uncaring about their circumstances. It seems to be a purgatory analog. Maybe the 2nd village has a similar effect, but affects you badly if you aren't finished with the first.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

LostRook posted:

Well the episode and the preview both implied that the village is affecting people's minds. It seems to be desensitizing people resulting in MaiMai being less affected by her trauma and other people going too far and becoming complacent and uncaring about their circumstances. It seems to be a purgatory analog. Maybe the 2nd village has a similar effect, but affects you badly if you aren't finished with the first.

Hmm, on a similar note, if we take parts of the song which are like being eaten by monsters and whatnot, maybe the first village is like a pot of heating water. Similar to the frog in a pot, the people don't recognize the danger they're in and that they're slowly being cooked, all so that the actual demons can hunt them down. Or maybe the people all commit mass suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

Hmm, on a similar note, if we take parts of the song which are like being eaten by monsters and whatnot, maybe the first village is like a pot of heating water. Similar to the frog in a pot, the people don't recognize the danger they're in and that they're slowly being cooked, all so that the actual demons can hunt them down. Or maybe the people all commit mass suicide

You bring up a good point.

I've been thinking of Nanaki as the world's worst self-help seminar, as we've seen no one seriously hurt by their monster yet. Even being (apparently) run over by the train (apparently) didn't hurt Mikage. However, if the first village is just preparation, then it is entirely possible that it's just the calm before the storm.

I also did like that the episode indirectly explained the claw marks in the trees.

• Locked thread