Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Thoogsby posted:

the one true film is delta 3200 pushed to 12800

True.

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

(e: for embedding)

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Focus is off by || :(

AK by spike mccue, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shellman posted:

I really want to try provia's stellar reciprocity out, but the lack of dynamic range stops me from trying shooting it at night. Portra is just so forgiving with metering!

Also the tones are gorgeous, but when I shot it in 4x5 for my capstone, it cost me no end of time and headaches to get the color just right in my scans.

I will hear none of your blasphemy!!!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

alkanphel posted:

I will hear none of your blasphemy!!!

The work in question. Doesn't really jive with any of my other stuff, but it WAS fun being able to create on demand instead of driving around until the light was right and I liked a building. I sold a couple prints of the forty to people who couldn't leave the college student mentality behind at least!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I thought the colours shouldn't have much of an issue, since you're shooting in controlled lighting. I normally don't have to do much correction when I shoot slide in the studio.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

alkanphel posted:

I thought the colours shouldn't have much of an issue, since you're shooting in controlled lighting. I normally don't have to do much correction when I shoot slide in the studio.

I was using a friend's flatbed and thought I had all my settings right, but the colors just did not look like the slides themselves, and the prints were exhibited alongside the transparencies. I've never had trouble with mf on my scanner.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Provia!

Al Duca di Venezia by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x14 tintype

flickr sharpening :negative:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 20, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
:chanpop:

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

11x14

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just found a Kiev 88 for $40 in a Moscow market. Got some Ektar 100 and the photo shop guy ran through the camera showing me how to work it. In perfect condition, looking forward to developing this first roll from Moscow and seeing how it turns out!

Also if anyone has a place in St. Petersburg that can develop a roll/prints in a few days I'd really appreciate it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

jerzy by alex gard, on Flickr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NICE!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Now this is just a video grab of me shooting away, but I'm excited because after trying for almost 3 years to capture *photogenic* tornadoes on medium and large format film, I blew through 3 rolls on the Mamiya 7 today. Switching rolls with three tornadoes on the ground at the same time is extremely stressful but rewarding.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
A lovely scan of a lovely picture, but I got the frankencamera working

It's a Calumet C2 120 film holder for 4x5, the rail, front stand and bellows from an old 2x3 ICA camera, lens and shutter from ebay (15USD) and the rangefinder of a lovely polaroid, plus some hardware parts I had at home.
It's a coupled 120 6x7 rangefinder with a 135mm f4.5 lens (with dental floss linking the rangefinder and the front stand, but it works!)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lol I guess you need to do something with those land cameras now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Campo San Zan Degola, Venezia by alkanphel, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
It is normal to have to adjust a rangefinder when switching from a short to long lens? I recently got the 150mm lens for my Mamiya 6 but when I put it on the rangefinders close focus is about 3 to 4 feet instead of the 6 feet it should be for the lens and the giant antenna about 5 miles away is still out of focus at infinity.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

aricoarena posted:

It is normal to have to adjust a rangefinder when switching from a short to long lens? I recently got the 150mm lens for my Mamiya 6 but when I put it on the rangefinders close focus is about 3 to 4 feet instead of the 6 feet it should be for the lens and the giant antenna about 5 miles away is still out of focus at infinity.

You're not using an adaptor with the lens right?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

You're not using an adaptor with the lens right?

No. And when I said "out of focus at infinity" I meant the lens is focused to infinity but the objects in the distance have not yet aligned in the range finder. The range finder seems to be accurate for the 50mm. Having to adjust the patch for each lens doesn't seem right.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
You definitely can and should have the body and lenses calibrated together. It sounds like the lens is probably the issue here, though.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kinda wish you got rid of some of the bottom or the top, feels a little unfocused to me.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That's fair

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30580418@N04/albums/72157669287073995

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 3, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Enjoying cropping down the 6x9 frames

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Salizada del Fontego dei Turchi, Venezia by alkanphel, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ansel autisms posted:

Kinda wish you got rid of some of the bottom or the top, feels a little unfocused to me.

Disagree. The unsettling ripples and shadows form a pretty unreal looking backdrop with the sky that makes depth hard to read, and the lights of the bridge are like pearls in a velvet case.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
How bad is this Balsam separation? If I avoided shooting into lighting would it be noticeable?
Its like 1/3 less than the going rate. I remember hearing that its much more of a problem when its on the rear lenses

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

aricoarena posted:

How bad is this Balsam separation? If I avoided shooting into lighting would it be noticeable?
Its like 1/3 less than the going rate. I remember hearing that its much more of a problem when its on the rear lenses

It's probably not balsam separation, because these modern lenses don't use the tree sap of the Canada Balsam fir tree, but some synthetic, usually UV hardening, agent. This glue can usually not be removed safely or only at great danger/cost. Zeiss experimented with another synthetic glue, which had the issue that it turns into a solid crystal over time, wedging the glued elements apart - but it doesn't appear to be that either.

So it's possibly fungus, oil, haze, coating issues, a previous fudged repair or god knows what else. The fact that it shows up without a flashlight being shone through the glass should be highly disconcerting to you. I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole.

My take on buying gear with issues is this:
- Can it be repaired cheaply?
- If no to the previous question, is the discount steep enough to warrant hedging the bet?

As someone who repairs both lenses and cameras on a hobby basis, I can tell you that repair isn't magic. Worn parts will remain worn unless I have the replacements which are also harvested from used cameras. Better condition items are usually in better condition inside as well and thus "repair better". You also can't mix and match glass elements, even between identical lenses.

Thus, concluding my long rant: glass issues in a lens that even with 2/3rds of the price discounted still is expensive should be a "no".

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Koni Omegas make good pinhole cameras

Portra4338 by Brett Schlough, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is what happens when you actually shoot Ilford 3200 at 3200:

Alex by spike mccue, on Flickr

(4.5f 1/15s handheld cause I'm never properly prepared)

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Awkward Davies posted:

This is what happens when you actually shoot Ilford 3200 at 3200:

Alex by spike mccue, on Flickr

(4.5f 1/15s handheld cause I'm never properly prepared)

Looks about right for film pushed almost two stops in dim light.
Delta 3200 actually a 1000 speed film in most developers. It would be interesting to see what it does in diafine.

ilford tech pub posted:

3200 Professional has an ISO speed rating of ISO 1000/31º (1000ASA, 31DIN) to daylight.
The ISO speed rating was measured using ILFORD ID-11 developer at 20°C/68ºF with intermittent agitation in a spiral tank.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201071394723115.pdf

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

Looks about right for film pushed almost two stops in dim light.
Delta 3200 actually a 1000 speed film in most developers. It would be interesting to see what it does in diafine.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201071394723115.pdf

Yeah I knew it was actually a 1000-1200 speed film but had heard (maybe from this thread?) that you can push it to 3200 with no problems. It's fairly grainy, but it seems to handle it pretty well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Delta 3200 is only about EI 1250 in diafine. That stuff doesn't boost some film nearly as far as others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah I knew it was actually a 1000-1200 speed film but had heard (maybe from this thread?) that you can push it to 3200 with no problems. It's fairly grainy, but it seems to handle it pretty well.

Yeah it seems to heavily depend on the nature of the light and the type of light-source.
The max aperture matters, too. I found, from my night photos, that if you hit around 1/15 shutter speeds that an extra stop of aperture seems to go a longer way than slowing to 1/8th. I assume this is because reciprocal failure isn't linear. This is in no ways a laboratory level test and just an observation I had during shooting. Might be totally wrong.

8th-snype posted:

Delta 3200 is only about EI 1250 in diafine. That stuff doesn't boost some film nearly as far as others.

Interesting. Thanks! I found that -Max also develops rather poorly in diafine.
I guess it's not the best choice for tabular grain films.

• Locked thread