Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Here are some solid numbers on the U.S. rent landscape as of 2014 if anyone's interested:
http://geoffboeing.com/2015/11/landscape-us-rents/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Spending money is the only indicator of adulthood left

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Trial by fire, war? naw... credit score

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

ghlbtsk posted:

Here are some solid numbers on the U.S. rent landscape as of 2014 if anyone's interested:
http://geoffboeing.com/2015/11/landscape-us-rents/

cool. i live in numba 1 city and just started renting a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft condo for $3100 thats 20 minutes outside of downtown

it was built in 2006 and the windows have no noise insulation and theyre ripping all the plaster poo poo off all the walls of the entire complex because it was built poorly apparently, so every morning at 8am i start hearing air compressors fire up with chipping hammers going away at my walls.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Kinda surprised that SD is above NYC.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

symbolic posted:

i thought you were one of the people promoting that young adults should move out of their parents' house as soon as possible, yet when i post an anecdote about that you now say that they're miserable?

i don't want to get mired in an argument like our friend Roylicious, i just want some clarification.

I like to mock young adults still living in their parents hovels because they haven't found the means or courage to do the things necessary to get out. I have many a hearty lol when someone comes in talking about some sort of frat partnership, 8 year community college and a myriad of other stupid poo poo that goons have claimed or owned up to.

So ya your trailer park trash friends might have a shitbag life but it is a little less lovely and more noteworthy because they have the wherewithal to take agency of their own life instead of harrumphing about what should be theirs by the virtue of existing.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

I like to mock young adults still living in their parents hovels because they haven't found the means or courage to do the things necessary to get out. I have many a hearty lol when someone comes in talking about some sort of frat partnership, 8 year community college and a myriad of other stupid poo poo that goons have claimed or owned up to.

So ya your trailer park trash friends might have a shitbag life but it is a little less lovely and more noteworthy because they have the wherewithal to take agency of their own life instead of harrumphing about what should be theirs by the virtue of existing.

Having borne witness to lots of these shitbag lives being lived by shitbag people in their shitbag communities: no, dude, they are not less lovely, and they are so non-noteworthy that they actually call it the "cycle of poverty"; they're sad statistics and that's about all. I mean, if you want to get on a David Cage high horse about the nobility and agency of broke-rear end people, that's fine, but know in your brain's heart that you are dead wrong and 99 times out of 100 these broke motherfuckers wish they could continue to get a free ride at mom's house.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Move out even if you can't afford, go on food stamps, collapse the system

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

There are plenty of low-intelligence people who still managed to crack that dubious cipher known as "living independently."

ANd "saving money?" Yeah, right. They are saving so they can afford rent in NYC of SF for 10 months, then they don't "make it," then they are right back with mommy. You either got enough smarts to not make one bad decision after another, or you don't. Going into debt to get a liberal arts degree is a bad decision. Living in an overpriced market is a bad decision, I don't care how many chinese places deliver to that neighborhood. Accept reality.
There was an article in The Atlantic a few weeks back about the hidden financial troubles of middle-class Americans, like the writer, a best-selling author whose money woes were his secret shame. Basically, he was flat broke but he never thought he was trying to "keep up with the Joneses."

Except the author also lived in New York, sent his kids to private schools (lol) and paid for Ivy League educations. And he tried to pay for this by writing books.

So yeah no wonder. Most people in America do not live that way. Most people who live in New York don't have any money -- and only a tiny fraction of Americans even live there in the first place. The need to keep up with the expectations of social class is a powerful drive whether its Republicans in Dallas McMansions or coastal liberals in New York or San Francisco.

Blargh posted:

Lolling at all the "rent is throwing your money away!!!" in this thread, I thought that poo poo died in 2008. Do any of you fucks know what an amortization schedule is? I hope you know most of your first five years of mortgage payments are going straight into interest and you're not getting that poo poo back

Not to mention the closing costs, association fees, paying out the rear end when a pipe randomly explodes under your driveway, etc

Like own a home if you want I don't give a poo poo but don't try to tell people you're a financial wizard because you managed to convince a bank you're not a crackhead
I'm a fan of Megan McArdle's rules for buying a house:

quote:

You can afford a sizable down payment to cushion you from the effects of local economic downturns or you have a super-stable job, such as working for the government or your father-in-law, that makes you unlikely to ever miss any payments.

You can afford the maintenance as well as the payments, insurance and property taxes.

You have good disability and/or mortgage insurance to make sure that you do not miss any payments even if you break your back and can't do your job anymore.

You are pretty sure you do not want to leave your area or move to a larger, more expensive home anytime in the next five years.

Your payment is a reasonable percentage of your take-home pay (I shoot for under 25 percent; anything over 35 percent is far too risky).

You have a sizable emergency fund to deal with contingencies.

You can afford other forms of savings, rather than counting on your house as a piggy bank for future needs. In general, if declining home prices would send you into a hysterical panic about your financial situation, you are buying too much house.

If you do not meet these conditions, then buying a house is gambling -- not just on rising home prices, but also on the continued soundness of your roof, boiler and plumbing. If you wouldn't borrow the money to go to Vegas, then don't borrow it for a house, either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2014-10-23/can-t-afford-a-house-don-t-buy-one
My dad bugs me about buying a house because he's a Boomer who lives in the Boomer-verse. And when he does I show him this.

Related is the guy I know who is my age, recently got a stable job, so immediately plopped himself and his girlfriend into a house only to see that it has underlying problems which they cannot afford to fix. Whoops!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think it says a decent amount that a lot of people worry more about their credit score than the amount of money they actually have

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fonzarelli posted:

super weird how americans want you to move out when you're 18

i feel like you guys were tricked in the 60s or something and it became part of your culture forever

signalnoise posted:

I think it says a decent amount that a lot of people worry more about their credit score than the amount of money they actually have
My great aunt was born before the Bolshevik Revolution and made it past age 100 (so she outlived the Soviet Union by almost two decades), never bought a home and in fact lived in a weird collective group-home arrangement for much of her life. She had a small room and kitchen but there were shared bathrooms. I think this was relatively common type of housing in like ... the 1930s. Don't see them around now.

She was a desk clerk.

And she rarely bought anything. She had an ancient TV and passed the time with that, crossword puzzles and paperback books. Hawkish about turning off the lights. Never ate out. Never owned a car.

Not saying I would recommend living like that because that would be some serious lowering-of-expectations. But her environment was clean and orderly, and she had a dignified and more or less happy life. (More than I can say for a lot of people.) And when she died she still had thousands of dollars in savings. Mind that this was after she had been retired for something like 40 goddamn years.

Robot Pride posted:

Nailed it. It was a shame-based scam for rent-seeking republicans to get more money by telling Americans that each and every single one of them needs to have their own ridiculously priced mortgage or lease to have any self-esteem.
It's an enormous collective action problem and a status-seeking self-bankrupting arms race. If you've grown up in a certain social class (especially if you have kids) then you're going to be under enormous pressure to take certain baselines for what constitutes a decent life for granted. And people will freak out when they can't maintain it.

Living on your own is do-able. Big house, new cars, fashionable urban living, latest bullshit appliance this and that; that's a lot harder.

So yeah, it's a scam. Owning a house is great. Work towards it. But also pay attention to your friends, family and loved ones. Live within your means. Take up a sport or volunteer at a homeless shelter. Goddamn.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 27, 2016

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

or just live in some re-purposed kollektiv farm barracks where bourgeois degenerates like homosexuals and people who question lysenkoism go and retire with megarubles to spare

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

coolskillrex remix posted:

cool. i live in numba 1 city and just started renting a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft condo for $3100 thats 20 minutes outside of downtown

it was built in 2006 and the windows have no noise insulation and theyre ripping all the plaster poo poo off all the walls of the entire complex because it was built poorly apparently, so every morning at 8am i start hearing air compressors fire up with chipping hammers going away at my walls.

That loving sucks. I live in Texas and my rent has gone up 100-150 every renew since I moved here four years ago. And we keep getting more pets since my wife in a bleeding heart vet tech, so space in our 800 foot foot apt costing $850 $950 $1100 $1250? apartment are starting to stress our duel college student income. I hate my situation, but goddamn $3100 for that poo poo is loving insane. And everything they're building is dual purposed buildings that are insane or giant gated communities outside the city for 500kish. I'd move east, but after the crazy flooding I don't think I could afford the insurance for the crazy floods that are happening more frequently. And as you would expect, have cheap as poo poo windows that drive my energy bill out the rear end in the summer.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

No I was pretty much just criticizing the perception that "I bought this house with zero down, it isn't fair that I don't have equity overnight." It sucks that the world was set up to favor people who could put off gratification, but that's just how it is. Those with the patience to invest, as in with a house, will pretty much always be criticized by those without that patience.

Personally I took out a 15 year loan on my house because I wasn't a chump, and it's almost paid off now. Suck it.

Congrats on buying a house 15 years ago, 7th grade me should have been on the ball.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Congrats on buying a house 15 years ago, 7th grade me should have been on the ball.

No, the point is that he is so hardworking, responsible, and successful that he bought a house and paid it off early why can't you lazy millennial scum just do the same thing I mean it's seriously loving simple.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Housing prices just went up in the last quarter. They had been low and stable for a while.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

archetype_games posted:

ppl in apartments should have large park spaces to access easily right outside doors. i know india is handling this with compartmentalized urban planning (residential areas must have a certain amount of parks etc etc, we do that over here already but not in any remotely socialized way)
The problem in India is when you're trying to get anything done and there are 9000 loving kids loudly playing cricket until midnight and snack carts blaring Bollywood tunes when the park space is utilized. It's a nightmare.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
You know what never made sense to me? Big fancy expensive weddings. How about you save the money you'd spend on that poo poo and get plain rings for both partners and then the wedding gift for a new couple is the parents on both sides settings heir kids up with a starter house with a generous down payment and some furnishings? I mean, if you really want them out of your house, you gotta put some effort into it.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
millenial? more like moronial

Haier posted:

The problem in India is when you're trying to get anything done and there are 9000 loving kids loudly playing cricket until midnight and snack carts blaring Bollywood tunes when the park space is utilized. It's a nightmare.

the more salient noise pollution issue would be the traffic. though i would like to get my car fitted with a horn that plays a bollywood tune and does so faster the harder you jam on it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fututor Magnus posted:

millenial? more like moronial

:eyepop:

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

ok why did it take you three years of cc plus five loving years in csu. i mean, great state school, don't get me wrong, but seriously

it took me four years in csu because my cc was a shady piece of poo poo and the bulk of my credits lost their transferrability when the school technically closed to reopen as a full state college. that couldn't have been very fun for your wallet, either, csu had started to balloon their tuition rates to astronomical prices just as i graduated, but you went through probably all five years with that poo poo

I wasn't doing 15+ what ever units a semester in favor of chaining 8 week classes since I tended to do better with them since I have no option to procrastinate half a semester then buckle down. Accelerated courses I felt were a lot better than 2 times a week classes for 4-5 months, and it spread out the cost over time instead of paying 9k a semester or more I pay 3k.

I'm curious what CC you went to and what major. I was Santiago Canyon into Fullerton for Business Admin.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Worlds Smuggest posted:

I'm curious what CC you went to and what major. I was Santiago Canyon into Fullerton for Business Admin.

i went to maui community college before it got absorbed into the greater university of hawaii system, and majored in linguistics

there are no jobs in hawaii so i use my degree to teach english abroad (and even though i make a pretty paltry sum, it's more than my buddy made working in it/web design in hawaii because every employer knows they you can screw you on the salary and get away with it), and also leveraged it into picking up a programming language and, eventually, used it to collect valve welfaretm

it's not a cushy corporate gig and i'll never be pulling down six figures, but i'm saving up anyhow and foreign nhs is baller af

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 28, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Living at home is the best thing in the world. You'd have to be retarded to waste money on an overpriced apartment just to pretend your somehow "independent" and "free"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The system works!

:capitalism:

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i went to maui community college before it got absorbed into the greater university of hawaii system, and majored in linguistics

there are no jobs in hawaii so i use my degree to teach english abroad (and even though i make a pretty paltry sum, it's more than my buddy made working in it/web design in hawaii because every employer knows they you can screw you on the salary and get away with it), and also leveraged it into picking up a programming language and, eventually, used it to collect valve welfaretm

it's not a cushy corporate gig and i'll never be pulling down six figures, but i'm saving up anyhow and foreign nhs is baller af

I thought a little about learning Japanese, chinese, or korean and doing the ex-pat thing but I wasn't entirely keen on the idea of taking that much risk in an unknown land, though it grows more appealing as time goes on.

I had a cousin go to Hawaii university, dunno what she is doing now, but to be fair, Maui is pretty sweet if you like the ocean etc Waikiki and all that. Linguistics is definitely more for learning and speaking a lot of languages or teaching other people to speak it though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I loved at home for two years since it allowed me to quickly pay off my student loans.

Also home ownership is pretty overrated once you add up all the hidden costs such as repairs, property tax and insurance.

For a rental there's less hidden costs.

pedo-katty
May 28, 2016

by Shine

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Living at home is the best thing in the world. You'd have to be retarded to waste money on an overpriced apartment just to pretend your somehow "independent" and "free"

The only upside is more space to do kinky poo poo with ur partner, and if ur really hosed up ur doing that at home in front or ur parents already :-D

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Pvt.Scott posted:

You know what never made sense to me? Big fancy expensive weddings. How about you save the money you'd spend on that poo poo and get plain rings for both partners and then the wedding gift for a new couple is the parents on both sides settings heir kids up with a starter house with a generous down payment and some furnishings? I mean, if you really want them out of your house, you gotta put some effort into it.
It's because it's conspicuous consumption injected into culture by corporations that want to sell you that poo poo. It's not supposed to make sense, it's supposed to make sure you buy a really expensive ring because it's a thing you have to do.

That's rings, anyway, I'm not sure where the idea of ginormous expensive weddings comes from but yeah it's pretty stupid.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Dreddout posted:

I'm a Willenial

We are still living in the new Willenium.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Some people chose to have an elaborate wedding and some did not.

Shocking revelations in this thread but I guess unsuccessful millenials have to talk through every little detail not understanding the simplicity of choice.

"Grgahag why do some IDIOTS have expensive wedding and jewelry!?!?!"

And all you really need to know is that they like it and wanted it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Elukka posted:

It's because it's conspicuous consumption injected into culture by corporations that want to sell you that poo poo. It's not supposed to make sense, it's supposed to make sure you buy a really expensive ring because it's a thing you have to do.

That's rings, anyway, I'm not sure where the idea of ginormous expensive weddings comes from but yeah it's pretty stupid.

The expensive ring was brilliant marketing by the DeBeers diamond cartel.

In the past both husband and wife had plain gold rings.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

etalian posted:

it's back in fashion for my poor married millennial finger

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

they dont actually live with your mom. that is an excuse your mom makes for all the young people who rotate through her bedroom. also it is very strange that you call your mother mommy as an adult.

its a fetish thing

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

etalian posted:

everyone knows you get the gold ring with infused arcane powers, only loving peasants get the idiot rock

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Christ goons are judgmental as gently caress.

*also the thread reads a lot like

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 28, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
thats pretty judgemental of you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Brown Menace posted:

everyone knows you get the gold ring with infused arcane powers, only loving peasants get the idiot rock

The enchanted ring of +50 alimony payment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsnB6NrSNMI

pedo-katty
May 28, 2016

by Shine

etalian posted:

The enchanted ring of +50 alimony payment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsnB6NrSNMI

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lived at home with the parents after college and paid off student loans quick. Few of my friends with similar amounts of debt are still paying them off nearly 7 years later. Living at home is cool on the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SaltLick posted:

Lived at home with the parents after college and paid off student loans quick. Few of my friends with similar amounts of debt are still paying them off nearly 7 years later. Living at home is cool on the short term.

Yeah it's a good strategy, I had $35k in debt but was able to pay it off in 2 years of work plus afford to buy a decent used car in cash.

I'm also a big fan of renting given how most jobs nowadays only last around 2-3 years.

• Locked thread