Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In the original wasn't that chest trap a poison gas cloud you could roll directly away from and be fine? I think when I reached it there were a bunch of blood pools nearby giving it away and I was surprised by how nonlethal it turned out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
I think it's always been a crossbow trap. But now that you mention it I feel like I've also seen it be something else as well... maybe it's randomised to an extent?

Or maybe I'm just insane, who knows.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 28, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Edit: Eh, better to be safe than sorry.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 28, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
praise be to spoilers

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Edit: Never mind, this might have given away too much.

But I hope our co-pilots guide Geop down the various events that are available if they can manage it. There is a good deal of stuff that may be fun to watch in the journeys available.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, if I had to choose one word to describe this game's art direction, it'd be "schizophrenic". I'll probably bitch about it a bit more when we reach the areas where it's more obvious.

Ah but isn't that the nature of drangelic? To completely on purposely make no sense at all and not just because the team got sloppy in a lot of places but because lore?

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Geop, I can't speak for anyone else, but as a viewer, at least for me, it seems like you are pushing the "I'm scared of doing X" angle a little too hard.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Steak Eater posted:

Ah but isn't that the nature of drangelic? To completely on purposely make no sense at all and not just because the team got sloppy in a lot of places but because lore?

It's so fiendishly meta. The cursed leave their home lands for Drangleic only to forget their purpose. And players leave DS1 for DS2 to forget about effective world building.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MGlBlaze posted:

I think it's always been a crossbow trap. But now that you mention it I feel like I've also seen it be something else as well... maybe it's randomised to an extent?

Or maybe I'm just insane, who knows.

its random. i got both.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah. Luckily once you learn to spot crossbow-chests, they give you a good window to block. To a man everyone I know or have seen have been loving murdered by them the first time though.

e: here, Geop learns the ultimate Dark Souls lesson: when you get a boon, use that poo poo asap.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, if I had to choose one word to describe this game's art direction, it'd be "schizophrenic". I'll probably bitch about it a bit more when we reach the areas where it's more obvious.
A German Spy & EpicNameBro - youtubers who worked on DaS2's Future Press guide - both said that the build they played with had all the fancy lighting bells and whistles we saw in the pre-release footage. It ran like poo poo on the last-gen consoles, but From said told them that one way or another they would make sure the release version would have good preformance and apparently From gutted the lighting system to make that happen..
It sounds as if From kept working on the graphics engine to try and make it work performance wise and only switched to the less fancy lighting when it became clear that it was either impossible or they just couldn't get it to work before the deadline and they didn't have time to finetune all the areas.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I really recommend the Fire Longsword's 2h R2 for anyone using it through FoFG. It's a thrust with good speed and range.

I don't think Goonther is going to put down shields though. I hope he finds a decent one soon. :ohdear:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

its random. i got both.
Every episode has like three "did they change this for Scholar???" questions. It's usually answered with "no" - game mechanics are largely the same, though some things got changed with patches (damage numbers and poo poo). Scholar changes enemy and item placements as well as some key story points, though that is also not exactly true because the patch to "prepare" players for Scholar added that to the base game, too. Scholar is still a different game than vanilla, though, not an upgrade (which also tends to confuse people).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Teledahn posted:

No. Having methods to discourage farming is just that; methods to discourage that playstyle. The obsession over getting every possible item (even if some are absolutely worth making an effort to get) is irrelevant. The mechanic evidently is designed with intent to discourage farming.

Whether it is successful, effective, or needed is another matter.

What was needed was some sort of bad luck protection. Thankfully, SotFS fixed a couple of the worst examples of this, but I'll use an example from vanilla:

There's a really cool armor set that, in vanilla, could only be acquired as random drops (piece by piece) from a specific enemy type that only existed in one room. If you kill them all and didn't get the whole set, or didn't get the piece you wanted (the goddamned chest piece maybe), you were boned unless you were willing to make that area harder for yourself in order to keep farming. That was just kind of annoying.

Why not just make it so that, if you kill the last enemy of a given type, it will always drop whatever random drops you haven't gotten from it yet? Or, better yet, just don't make so many cool, desirable things random drops in the first place. That's something that's bugged me about all of these games except Bloodborne, which (I'm almost entirely sure) has no randomly-dropped equipment at all. In SotFS, that armor set is now just found out in the world like most armor sets, and that's a lot better.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It could be said that random drops + discouraging farming makes a pretty strong point that you're not supposed to actively go for the thing you want and instead plan to use what's widely available and switch to something rare when it drops as a surprise. I don't know that that's interesting or even practical in a Dark Souls game, though. If there weren't weapon upgrades I think I'd like it more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

It could be said that random drops + discouraging farming makes a pretty strong point that you're not supposed to actively go for the thing you want and instead plan to use what's widely available and switch to something rare when it drops as a surprise. I don't know that that's interesting or even practical in a Dark Souls game, though. If there weren't weapon upgrades I think I'd like it more.

If that was the intent (and not just a side effect of a system intended to prevent people who die a ton from getting too annoyed at enemies), I think it's a disconnect between the developer's intentions and how people are guaranteed to play a game. Bloodborne makes mistakes in that vein, too, though in a different way, by placing a couple of really cool and unique weapons super-late in the game so that you can basically only use them in NG+ (which is extra sad in Bloodborne when every single weapon is completely unique, so you couldn't find a "good enough" version earlier).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I farmed a certain place that's rather annoying to farm for a solid three hours just so I could get a sweet skull hat.

Farming sucks.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Harrow posted:

Why not just make it so that, if you kill the last enemy of a given type, it will always drop whatever random drops you haven't gotten from it yet? Or, better yet, just don't make so many cool, desirable things random drops in the first place. That's something that's bugged me about all of these games except Bloodborne, which (I'm almost entirely sure) has no randomly-dropped equipment at all. In SotFS, that armor set is now just found out in the world like most armor sets, and that's a lot better.

While not exactly the same, this is what Dark Souls 1 did with one-time enemies that had drops. If you killed every single one on a playthrough, the last was guaranteed to drop the item. This was the case for the Symbol of Avarice from Mimics, and the Skull Lantern from the Necromancers in the Catacombs. In all other cases you were free to keep farming since enemies never stopped re-spawning.

Raygereio posted:

A German Spy & EpicNameBro - youtubers who worked on DaS2's Future Press guide - both said that the build they played with had all the fancy lighting bells and whistles we saw in the pre-release footage. It ran like poo poo on the last-gen consoles, but From said told them that one way or another they would make sure the release version would have good preformance and apparently From gutted the lighting system to make that happen..
It sounds as if From kept working on the graphics engine to try and make it work performance wise and only switched to the less fancy lighting when it became clear that it was either impossible or they just couldn't get it to work before the deadline and they didn't have time to finetune all the areas.

This is probably the case. However, I rather distinctly recall that From released the game in its state without actually disclosing to anyone that said downgrades took place. It was basically the same kind of thing as the Watch Dogs graphics hype and subsequent crash. The Steam store page for Dark Souls 2 even still had the early cool lighting images for (i think?) a number of days after launch.
Having to make compromises for performance I can understand, but not actually telling your consumer base as such I cannot.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I farmed a certain place that's rather annoying to farm for a solid three hours just so I could get a sweet skull hat.

Farming sucks.

Ah, I remember that. The main problem with that set is where the enemy is and the fact that it doesn't actually show up all the time. It's pretty infuriating. I recall there was a trick to be able to predict if they'd be there before entering the area or something, but for the life of me I can't remember it right now.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 28, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually the Skull Lantern was a fixed-location item. You had a decent chance of getting extras from the Necromancers, which you could give to the crow, but not guaranteed.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dabir posted:

You had a decent chance of getting extras from the Necromancers, which you could give to the crow, but not guaranteed.
In DaS1 if you killed the last of a non-respawning enemy type, it's drops would be guaranteed if they hadn't dropped before. The Necromancers in DaS1 were non-respawning so if you hunted them all down you were guaranteed a lantarn drop.

The lantarn was also a placed loot in the Catacombs (probably to accommodate those players who couldn't find all the Necromancers and didn't have enough int for the light sorcery).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Raygereio posted:

In DaS1 if you killed the last of a non-respawning enemy type, it's drops would be guaranteed if they hadn't dropped before. The Necromancers in DaS1 were non-respawning so if you hunted them all down you were guaranteed a lantarn drop.

Are you sure that's true of anything other than the necromancers? I'm pretty sure you're not guaranteed a full set of Gargoyle gear or a Fang Boar Helm, though apparently that's true of the Symbol of Avarice.

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
I had a friend who farmed. When we got to him it was already too late. His inventory was full of rare drops and he could not pick up any more items. They said he died trying to pick up an item over and over again for days without any food or water. The last thing he ever saw was the text "Your inventory bag is full". Please, if you have a friend or a relative who is farming in a video game, talk to them.

"Be Cool Don't Be a Farming Fool" -Farming Awareness Eagle

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Are you sure that's true of anything other than the necromancers? I'm pretty sure you're not guaranteed a full set of Gargoyle gear or a Fang Boar Helm, though apparently that's true of the Symbol of Avarice.
Yes, I'm sure.
If you kill all three Boars you will get a Fang Boar Helm. Same for the Gargoyle gear if you kill both the Bell Gargoyles and the two in Anor Londo.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HMS Boromir posted:

It absolutely is true for both gargoyles and boars. You WILL get halberd, shield AND helm from the last 'goyle in Anor Londo if you don't have them already, though you WILL miss the axe if you don't cut off the tails.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Huh. Well that's really cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

While not exactly the same, this is what Dark Souls 1 did with one-time enemies that had drops. If you killed every single one on a playthrough, the last was guaranteed to drop the item. This was the case for the Symbol of Avarice from Mimics, and the Skull Lantern from the Necromancers in the Catacombs. In all other cases you were free to keep farming since enemies never stopped re-spawning.

Yeah, that's a good system and I wish DS2 had just applied it to every enemy since they're all in a similar situation, but eh. At least SotFS helped by putting some of the more desirable random equipment as just things you can find.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's also true of mimics in DaS1.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Yes, I'm sure.
If you kill all three Boars you will get a Fang Boar Helm. Same for the Gargoyle gear if you kill both the Bell Gargoyles and the two in Anor Londo.

I thought this wasn't the case for Black Knights and their drops.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Black Knights have a respawning source in the area leading up to Gwyn.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

That would be because the Black Knights appear in the Kiln of the First Flame, where they respawn as normal enemies.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One thing that was weird about the anor londo gargoyles is that I could only get 1 tail axe from them, even though they both have tails and I made sure to cut them off before killing them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hate the "I don't like farming, so it should be harder for other people to do it" attitude. If you don't like farming just don't do it!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think the forest of fallen giants and heide's tower and things betwixt are all much more visually interesting than the starter areas in dark souls 1

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

yeah I can dig the "slipped through the cracks of reality" thing over the rusty sewer that is the northern undead asylum

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Yeah, let's not forget the wonders of the Lordran Water Municiplaity's sewer systems. To be fair, it was probably one of the best sewer levels I'd seen in a game. But it was still a sewer level.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roll, Geop. There's no way you can tank all those hits and survive.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At least it felt like there was a reason for you to be going through a sewer level, rather than just being an item on the video game checklist.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RareAcumen posted:

Roll, Geop. There's no way you can tank all those hits and survive.
Especially without a 100% physical reduction shield.

This is all just part of the learning curve for him I think, Dark Souls 2 combat requires a lot more mobility than Dark Souls 1, where you can turtle pretty easily.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
The lack of a 100% physical resist shield is my main complaint with the early game of DS2. So much of the game seems to be balanced around having a good shield (or being a pro dodge roller) that it's a massive game changer once you get one.

Are we allowed to recommend strategies for Geop? There's a little trick to dealing with those Hollows he's been struggling with that might help him a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Actually i think that you will find that these games are balanced around either no shield (good) or two shields (better) and that the only path to defeat, is to use a single shield.

• Locked thread