Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
okay so i understand your take on Laws OP, what is your opinion on Rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
laws exist

to be broken

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kuato posted:

Well since you wrote that your chances of being raped and/or murdered multiplied exponentially. Shouldn't write or say that kind of stuff out loud IMO, just jinxed yourself dude.

Eh, I had a good run

Epileptic Monkey
Jan 9, 2014
Laws are like bedtimes. They're just there to keep the squares away from the cool kids while they're having fun.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
laws are cool and good actually, crack a loving book sometime

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
rich people do tax evasion, poor people have aggravated assault but everybody can do a possession of controlled substances, law breaking really is a fun family past time!

naem
May 29, 2011

http://youtu.be/5sc_nQiuDN0

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
how do you get theguy to show up for his eye removal in the "eye for an eye" scenario

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess thats Laws say what should happen but then you probably need to get people to 'police' these laws making sure eyes are removed as prescribed by law

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

how do you get theguy to show up for his eye removal in the "eye for an eye" scenario

All of the guys wealth is likely tied up in immobile assets so he had to choose between them and the eye

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bet hammurabis laws sprang from community frustration of this one fuckhead who kept having his dam break, taking peoples slaves outside the city gate and cutting out peoples eyes

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Epileptic Monkey posted:

Laws are like bedtimes. They're just there to keep the squares away from the cool kids while they're having fun.

According to Anton LaVey, that's the same purpose scaring people with hellfire serves and Hell is actually a cool place free of the scrubbed and sanctified. Bedtime is also similar to Hell because it's inevitable.

naem
May 29, 2011

Isaac posted:

I bet hammurabis laws sprang from community frustration of this one fuckhead who kept having his dam break, taking peoples slaves outside the city gate and cutting out peoples eyes

Kevin!!!!!!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
i want to talk about signs. Not regular government or street signs or whatever. signs put up by private entities.

If a sign says you cant do something inside a workplace or whatever it litterally means "We cannot stop you doing this. If we could we would not have put up a sign"

Epileptic Monkey
Jan 9, 2014

phasmid posted:

According to Anton LaVey, that's the same purpose scaring people with hellfire serves and Hell is actually a cool place free of the scrubbed and sanctified. Bedtime is also similar to Hell because it's inevitable.

"Lead rich fulfilling lives filled with bingo and righteousness, so you can live in eternal righteousness!"

Yeah, nah, mate. I think I'm gonna give up bingo and shuffleboard this time round, but hey, if you wanna rail some weed and do some cocaine bongs, hit me up.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
a guy was stealing from a school rooftop and fell through their skylight and was hurt. He sued and got millions of dollars. That's the law.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Epileptic Monkey posted:

Yeah, nah, mate. I think I'm gonna give up bingo and shuffleboard this time round, but hey, if you wanna rail some weed and do some cocaine bongs, hit me up.
"It's called 'skuff'. It's the latest craze kids are into: powdered marijuana taken nasally and it's already claimed three lives at this Minnesota high school." *pointing behind me*

furiouskoala posted:

a guy was stealing from a school rooftop and fell through their skylight and was hurt. He sued and got millions of dollars. That's the law.
Did that really happen or was that just a minor aside in a Jim Carrey movie?

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

phasmid posted:

"It's called 'skuff'. It's the latest craze kids are into: powdered marijuana taken nasally and it's already claimed three lives at this Minnesota high school." *pointing behind me*

Did that really happen or was that just a minor aside in a Jim Carrey movie?

True stuff google thief skylight lawsuit!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Hm. So Berkeley and Hammurabi aren't in accordance here? Is this precedent? I don't want to walk the line on a burglary charge between being awarded lots of money and being buried alive. Where are the gbs lawyers to help a soul?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
freedom isn't real, dingus

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm very grateful that laws exist, because I would have almost certainly been raped and murdered long ago without them

no, without laws you could just tow an antiaircraft gun with you everywhere you go. As soon as someone gives you the shifty eye, you hop on that 20 cal and don't let up until you can shake hands with yourself through their sternum

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I have the same attitude about vegetables.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
This reminds me of when Lord Kenneth tried to justify pushing his mom down the stairs by saying families were just involuntary dictatorships or something.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Some rules are there for our safety. But some rules are there to gently caress you over and make someone richer. gently caress those rules.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Now yell that in a police officers face, and see how he responds.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some laws are real and make sense to exist like private property. Others are just wishful thinking because they conflict with what I like to call "the law of man". Like the government may tell you that you can't do something but if you can do it and no one catches you then you can in fact still do it. Notice how I used a lower case g in government even though that is illegal when referencing the united states.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
My favorite is when laws are made up to rectify a problem that already falls under another law.

Like outlawing guns to prevent murder, which is already outlawed. This idea will work the second time!

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zorodius posted:

My favorite is when laws are made up to rectify a problem that already falls under another law.

Like outlawing guns to prevent murder, which is already outlawed. This idea will work the second time!

Perfect example of the problem I am talking about. They made the first law but for some reason people get upset when someone is murdered and try to unmurder them by passing a new law. That particular type of bad law is "feelz based" law. Another example of that kind of law is welfare programs.

That isn't the only type of bad laws there is also some really funny ones around misunderstanding technology. The RIAA lobbied for a law saying you can't download their music but their lawyers don't know jack poo poo about catching people. They spent all that money to pass a law thinking it would magically make the world work that way. How can someone even be smart enough to get all that loving money but then spent it on dumb poo poo like that?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the sword is the only true law

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If we outlaw shitposting, only outlaws will shitpost....

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
What comes to mind is the SciFi scenario where you can get a lightweight, easily-concealed phaser capable of destroying a city block is where some kind of gun control probably wouldn't suck.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lawns are bullshit

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Drink Cheerwine posted:

lawns are bullshit

Right. You cut the grass, and the grass cuttings feed the grass. It's bulllshit, grass is cannibals.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Some laws are important OP have you heard of this one they are trying to pass :

"A husband should be allowed to lightly beat his wife if she defies his commands and refuses to dress up as per his desires; turns down demand of intercourse without any religious excuse or does not take bath after intercourse or menstrual periods"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/28/asia/pakistan-women-light-beating/index.html

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

if there were no laws, there would be no in laws

makes u think

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Examples of laws: no having sex with children. No working children to death in da salt mines. No beating children up.

FOLLOW DA RURUS.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

actually I'm pretty sure those are all legal

DON'T TREAD ON ME

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you did not contract with the so-called law making entity, they have no authority over you, I hope this helps, OP.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

VectorSigma posted:

"Hurr durr, what if it were the fashion for every country were ruled by laws you had to mind and obey all the time? You've been working hard at your job all week, so of course the first thing you want to do on your day off is obey some laws made by some dudes in some building somewhere. DUrrrrr *shits pants*" -The jackass who invented laws.

I'm happy with laws. They prevent your boss from telling you to work for 24 hours then breaking your knees and chaining you to your work station so you can't leave until you finished every little bit of your work, plus the work of Fred, who wised up and left the country before they could catch him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Murder is illegal yet people get murdered everyday. Checkmate lawyers.

• Locked thread