Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Pacific was merely ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

HELLO LADIES posted:

She's definitely bullshitting. Her scene with Tommen in jail is 100% hedge. "The High Sparrow isn't what we expected, is he?" and poo poo like that

I liked that scene - it seemed to convey she was faking it, acting as if they were being listened to. And as an actor she conveyed this: She tries to hint to tommen that the sparrow is "more than we expected" indicating he is a power player, and tomen doesn't get it, and you can almost see her pat him on the head verbally "its ok little boy, I got this covered".

Am I over reading that scene, or was she just delivering some good nuance?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schizotek posted:

I kind wish they'd kept Cersei true to the books. While show Cersei is a more compelling character, book Cersei going on a massive rampage of stupidity was pretty great. Like giving away an entire fleet to a skeezy pirate because he was kinda cute type stuff.

I thought book cersei was too over the top. She seemed like a poorly written woman to be honest. No one who grew up with Tywin as a father, steeped in political intrigue, and 15 years the queen could be as loving stupid as she was - especially without any good reason. She was way too 1 dimensional in the book IMO.

syscall girl posted:

Now I guess it's Space Octopus or Naked Corpse?

I ride with Cthulu any day, every day, because time is a flat circle. Space Octopus is my home and calling.

Max posted:

I just realized this episode worked in the "shits gold" line during the reenactment of Tywin's death. Best part of the show this season.
The play is awesome - if HBO really rocked the whole thing would be on a special edition DVD. An hour long performance.

I just watched the episode today - a few things:

Isn't Jaime like, heir to Casterly Rock now? He should just get on home, and get his army together. gently caress the Riverlands. Crown can't boot him from his lifelong service and then order his poo poo around. I can also see Kevan getting set up to be shanked - maybe on Cersei's order via Qyvan evil maseter dude.

Benjen was a let down. Was he really out looking for white walkers? I thought he was out investigating wildling movements. And if he was so bad rear end why wasn't he helping to defend the loving children. Where is the nightsking? he couldn't keep up with a girl dragging a boy through the snow? If the dead never rest, how do you ever get away? How does stabbing someone in the heart STOP turning you into a wight, when stabbing you in the heart turns the first dude INTO a white walker? How could the elves NOT know about using obsidian against walkers? Nor valyrian steel? I mean - they've had a while to work on this issue you know. The skeleton dragging looked fake as poo poo, so did dany/dragon, but I guess that is ok.

end scene with dany was cringey as gently caress.

I was disappointed the making GBS threads scene was cut / not in this episode.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 31, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Smiling Jack posted:

The Pacific was merely ok.

Structurally it has problems, and definitely pacing issues (they jump from Guadalcanal to the Solomons and Pelelieu like they were weeks instead of years apart), but on a psychological level, it is one of the best World War 2 shows I've ever watched. Band of Brothers is great for showing a grounded version of WW2, but it still gets caught up in the hero worship vibe Tom Hanks and Spielberg love to push. With the Pacific, they toned that heroism down hard and made it one of the most grueling sit through shows I've watched. Everything from Pelelieu onward is just endless suffering and pain. The Okinawa episode alone handles dehumanization in such a brutal and direct manner that is reminds you that War is Hell. It is one of the most physically unpleasant watches (in a good way) this side of the film Come and See.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Aegon's invasion as a savior in the books makes a fair bit of sense but Dany, book or show, is literally an entitled child bringing a savage foreign horde to take back "her" kingdom. At least when Jon let the Wildlings past the Wall it was because he's actually fulfilling his NW oath (and not making the army of undead even larger), and the Wildlings have a not-zero chance of eventually getting along with the people of the north, or getting wiped the gently caress out by the north's armies if they don't. Meanwhile the Dothraki horde is tens of thousands strong and would obliterate pretty much any army stupid enough to meet it in the field.

On one hand, season one establishes that armour is a pretty hard counter to lovely Dothraki weapons. On the other, a bunch of Unsullied and the man who is said to be the greatest living swordsman, Selmy, got murdered by a bunch of rando peasants so I can buy the obliteration thing.

I mean, it's obvious that the deciding thing in Dany's invasion will be the dragons anyway and maybe one or two of them will die in the end, but only in the final showdown against the white walkers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I finished The Clash of Kings. That first Dannerys chapter was great, she was leading her crappy tribe through the deadlands, found a dead town, being a leader of men, it was cool. Then she spent the rest of the book not getting an army from wierdos. This Danny story is the worst.

Also, book one, "it's going to be winter soon". 1800 pages later and it's maybe mid-autumn.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

On one hand, season one establishes that armour is a pretty hard counter to lovely Dothraki weapons. On the other, a bunch of Unsullied and the man who is said to be the greatest living swordsman, Selmy, got murdered by a bunch of rando peasants so I can buy the obliteration thing.

I mean, it's obvious that the deciding thing in Dany's invasion will be the dragons anyway and maybe one or two of them will die in the end, but only in the final showdown against the white walkers.

The Dothraki could raise Hell in the Reach , the Storm Lands and the Riverlands (what's left of them), probably Dorne too. They probably couldn't do poo poo in the North, however. I doubt they're used to fighting in a blizzard, and by the time Daenerys reaches Westeros it's going to be full-blown winter. The only person in Dany's entire entourage with any knowledge at all about winters in the North is Tyrion, now that Jorah's temporarily (permanently?) out of the picture, and all he'll know is what he's read in books. Have the Dothraki even seen snow before? Have they heard about wights and the Others? They might have trouble taking the Vale, too, what with the altitude, snows and narrow paths through fortified keeps. Obviously Daenerys has the dragons, but they're still relatively young and far from invincible. Drogon's a big boy but he's no Balerion the Black, at least not yet. I can't see her getting farther than the neck while winter holds, if she goes the full on conquest route.

I also wonder what, if anything, the Others have that could contend with the dragons. They don't seem to have a great deal of projectile weaponry, so unless a dragon lands I don't really see how they could even legitimately threaten one. Seems like the dragons could just incinerate them and their horde of extremely flammable wights with little trouble. But, then again, maybe they're actually exceptional archers and can do eye-shots from 200 yards, who knows?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Does she have to retake the North? Just fortify the Neck and rule the rest- deep fry any wights or walkers that come south and rule over the six remaining kingdoms as crop failure, refugees, banditry and other bullshit caused by the Winter and the war eventually plunge the region into anarchy.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The show's fine. It's got enough going on to be interesting and half of it is really well filmed (and half of it is filmed badly, like the Margaery and Tommen scene in the sept was just badly cut together). The fighting is mostly good with some really bad fights and some really cool ones. I dunno, I think the only reason to hate it is if you don't like shows about bad people or hate GRRM for giving you eternal blue balls.

Or you only saw season 5 and judge the show based on that in which case you'd probably hate it and everyone who watches it.

Blind Sally posted:

it's goofy as gently caress most of the time, has a lot of dull sections that drag on, and only occasionally has a moment that's genuinely awesome (e.g., Hardhome). i genuinely enjoyed the first couple seasons, but at this point it's definitely a just a fun way to kill time on a Sunday night. i'm not hate-watching it, but i'm always a little surprised whenever i meet someone who still believes it's the most well-written, deep, and well-executed television masterpiece to ever grace HBO.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But that's not true as long as band of brothers and the Pacific exist. Gotta give HBO credit those two shows are down right amazing

I mean The Wire still exists and was aired by HBO so...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Others are clearly magical and that means they have or are plot devices, so I'd guess they've got a special power only useful for neutralising dragons.

Dany wants seven kingdoms, not six, so in that sense, she needs to take the North. Not bothering with it and setting up a easily defensible chokepoint to neutralise them makes too much sense for ASOIAF.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Oh, and regarding what someone earlier said, inquiring about why people like the Lannisters don't hire faceless men: their price is extremely high and is relative, based on the person paying it. Someone like Tywin Lannister, who was Warden of the West and the richest man in the Seven Kingdoms would have had to pay an absolutely absurd amount to hire a Faceless man, and that kind of money changing hands would get a lot of people's attention, to say nothing at all of the financial ruin it would bring his family. Their price also goes up based on who you want dead. There's a line in the first book where Littlefinger remarks that the crown hiring a faceless man to kill a merchant would be twice as expensive as hiring an army of sellswords, so they could pretty much forget about hiring them to kill someone like Daenerys.

Kavak posted:

Does she have to retake the North? Just fortify the Neck and rule the rest- deep fry any wights or walkers that come south and rule over the six remaining kingdoms as crop failure, refugees, banditry and other bullshit caused by the Winter and the war eventually plunge the region into anarchy.

Yeah, she really doesn't have to take the North, and it would be kind of silly to do so unless the way she took it was "Swear loyalty to me and I'll roast those pesky zombies for you".

Cavelcade posted:

The show's fine.

Agreed. I rather like the show. I found a lot of things in season 5 to be ridiculous or disappointing, but I've liked most of the rest. Every now and then I'm annoyed when they cut something out from the books that I really liked or go a direction that kills someone I like who's still alive in the books, but the show and books are basically different tellings of the same story at this point, so it's pretty much to be expected.

Fhate fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 31, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

boom boom boom posted:

I finished The Clash of Kings. That first Dannerys chapter was great, she was leading her crappy tribe through the deadlands, found a dead town, being a leader of men, it was cool. Then she spent the rest of the book not getting an army from wierdos. This Danny story is the worst.

Also, book one, "it's going to be winter soon". 1800 pages later and it's maybe mid-autumn.

don't worry, winter happens in next book. its awesome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

don't worry, winter happens in next book. its awesome.

Harsh.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dany wants seven kingdoms, not six, so in that sense, she needs to take the North. Not bothering with it and setting up a easily defensible chokepoint to neutralise them makes too much sense for ASOIAF.

Like Dany is going to have to retake the North. The North is going to join peacefully when Dany and Jon get married and you all know it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Hey, George Martin. Tyrion and Brinne are ugly. I get it. Youve been saying that every third paragraph of every chapter they appear in. You don't have to keep calling them ugly so much, it's been established.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Sam in season 6 episode 6, "the autumn colors should be coming in soon"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

boom boom boom posted:

Hey, George Martin. Tyrion and Brinne are ugly. I get it. Youve been saying that every third paragraph of every chapter they appear in. You don't have to keep calling them ugly so much, it's been established.

Brienne is just plain though, it's one of these things that come up again and again but you're supposed to figure out she's just perceived as ugly cause she's such a huge musclebound freak.

Much like Arya "Horseface" being revealed to be a splitting image of Lyanna who was famous for her breathtaking beauty or Jon describing Ygritte as ugly but we later learn that all the other wildlings consider her to be super attractive.

Tyrion is grotesquely ugly though, it's uncertain whether he's capable of doing cartwheels or not though, it seems as though his agility and acrobatic abilities declined rapidly past the first book.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lycus posted:

Like Dany is going to have to retake the North. The North is going to join peacefully when Dany and Jon get married and you all know it.

If the North is crawling in zombies and uninhabitable, being the Queen of it is a title in the same way she calls herself Queen of Westeros now. It'd be an empty claim. Stannis is definitely going to actually win and be a good king in the not real book anyway.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tyrion is grotesquely ugly though, it's uncertain whether he's capable of doing cartwheels or not though, it seems as though his agility and acrobatic abilities declined rapidly past the first book.

Despite much pontification, it's also uncertain whether he knows where whores go

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This whole thing with Tommen and the faith better pay off soon because the high sparrow as a character is wearing WAY thin, and everyone's poorly written schemes to become idiot Tommen's number 1 babysitter are just awful. The High Sparrow actor is good enough at doing the scene where he knowingly smirks and disarms/denies whoever he's talking to by appealing to the authority of the Gods, but it'd be nice if they didn't replay it, beat by beat, every single goddamn episode.

That's probably what bothered me about Margaery's walk scene. It was, yet again, just a big fancy version of that same scene.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 31, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

it seems as though his agility and acrobatic abilities declined rapidly past the first book.

It feels like every time there's a Tyrion chapter there's mention of his stiff legs.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This whole thing with Tommen and the faith better pay off soon because the high sparrow as a character is wearing WAY thin, and everyone's poorly written schemes to become idiot Tommen's number 1 babysitter are just awful. The High Sparrow actor is good enough at doing the scene where he knowingly smirks and disarms/denies whoever he's talking to by appealing to the authority of the Gods, but it'd be nice if they didn't replay it, beat by beat, every single goddamn episode.

That's probably what bothered me about Margaery's walk scene. It was, yet again, just a big fancy version of that same scene.

What, you mean you weren't compelled by his 15-minute speech about how he found religion because he threw a party that was too dope?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jonathan Pryce does indeed own as an actor but even though I love him yeah his scenes are definitely wearing thin. Not as thin as Ramsay's, but getting there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Scuzzywuffit posted:

What, you mean you weren't compelled by his 15-minute speech about how he found religion because he threw a party that was too dope?

In all honesty, I actually can't tell if it's a good touch or not that they decided to go with the insanely cliche "I was history's greatest monster before G-d came along and made me into the marketing machine you see today!" religious conversion story. I'd have to know whether that was on purpose or not.

I did enjoy Arya's storyline getting the Bran/3eyes chinese fire drill plot treatment though. It's almost like they survey the fans and find out "Oh, everyone knows where this is going...maybe we should just get the gently caress on with it". I'm a little weirded out that Arya didn't seem to learn many practical skills or whatnot during her time there, besides bo staff fighting and lying about who you are real well.

Edit: I was also a bit :smugdog: to see "Burn them all!" show up in Bran's vision. I theorized last week that Bran is responsible for the Mad King going full retard and he left him with a catchphrase like Hodor.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 31, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I did enjoy Arya's storyline getting the Bran/3eyes chinese fire drill plot treatment though.

Same. If the threads are converging and we're coming to a finale, don't drag it out.

Especially since they cut the only interesting plot filler stuff like Manderly, Bros w/o Banners, Stoneheart, and Victarion.

I really hope D&D fight to make next season the finale.

Get Sam to Oldtown so he can discover all the secrets. Get Bran to Winterfell so he can cause the zombie apocalypse. Get Dany to Westeros so she can kill the night king. Get Arya to faceless kill Tommen by poisoning Cersei's cup. Get all of Dany's suitors like Daario and Euron killed in battle so she marries Jon. Get Jon to bone Dany and so the song of Ice and Fire is complete.

No more dicking around. Get on with. Finish the whole show while GRRM has TWO unwritten books.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I have a Clegane bowl scene in my mind that's too wonderful to be real. Where the trial by combat happens, two opposing knights are hailed as the Godly Faithful True Knight of Sunlight and the Mother and All The Little Children. One from the ranks of the faith itself and the other a towering man who's sworn a vow of silence until evil is defeated....

And then as the fight goes on it degenerates into an even worse Brienne/Hound brawl that horrifies everyone. Maybe one of them straight up profanes G-d before killing the other one. Maybe someone blames the whole thing on the Sparrow and he finally falls out of favor.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
btw the mountains helmet is sooooooooooo coming off during that fight

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Except he'll have no head I guess so maybe not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The head comes off with the helmet because it was stitched and glued in by qyburn. Cleganes eyes are way too forward in that helmet it looks like they were smooshed in to make room for the rest of his giant head

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol, it'd be even better if the mountains head came off and he kept fighting. That would loving rule.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Isn't he headless in the books? Or they have a skull that they think was his head?

I get why the show didn't bother with the Robert Strong pretense, but at least it gave some plausible deniability that the Queen mothers advisors were practicing loving necromancy in the dungeons of the Red Keep.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah in the book they send a skull back to Dorne and they're all like "I mean yeah, it's fuckin' huge but other than that there's no way to tell".

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

davecrazy posted:

Isn't he headless in the books? Or they have a skull that they think was his head?

I get why the show didn't bother with the Robert Strong pretense, but at least it gave some plausible deniability that the Queen mothers advisors were practicing loving necromancy in the dungeons of the Red Keep.

They've got a skull which might be from a dwarf, and he never takes his helmet off. There are some extremely goofy theories that it's Robb Stark's head sewn on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Someone just pointed out to me that Brienne (Gwendolyn Christie) is Phasma in new Star Wars

iirc they don't let her take off the helmet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I mean star wars is notorious for ugly characters like jabba and the squid admiral

I guess they have a rule about too many female characters

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Reminder that this very thread was mad when Gwendoline Christie was cast as Brienne because she's kind of a babe.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Ian McShane as the blackfish?

I think he's going to be the priest that nursed the Hound back to life. They showed the original Blackfish actor, Clive Russell, in the "Previously on..." and he was allegedly spotted during filming last year.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

syscall girl posted:

Someone just pointed out to me that Brienne (Gwendolyn Christie) is Phasma in new Star Wars
iirc they don't let her take off the helmet

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Reminder that this very thread was mad when Gwendoline Christie was cast as Brienne because she's kind of a babe.

My Tyrannical Enforcer Can't Possibly Be This Cute

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't think there's any magic going on with Robert Strong, it's just an extremely drugged up Gregor.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mossyfisk posted:

I don't think there's any magic going on with Robert Strong, it's just an extremely drugged up Gregor.

Drugs were his thing though?

Maybe he is in that bitter stage of recovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KYnNnzJfaE

This guy is no Preston Jacobs.