Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

axleblaze posted:

It's weird to me that publishers can't seem to grasp the really obvious concept that the majority of people don't want a big gaming statue and of those people, they want a character they actually know and like rather than a character from a game they haven't played yet.

It doesn't help that even when it's an established IP, most game characters are so generic that no one would want a statue of them either, I mean, I love the Infamous games but :lol: if you think I want a statue of generic, bald, white dude. Even Souls though people would get excited by a generic suit of armor.

This reminds me: Remember when Blizzard used to let you special-order a 3D-printed statue of your WoW character in all their gear? At one point I was so brain-fried by WoW that I probably would have gotten one if I wasn't totally broke at the time. I seem to recall they were really expensive for being just a plastic statue with some personalization on the pedestal, probably so Blizzard could recoup the cost of what had to be, at the time, a fuckin space-age 3D Printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

deadly_pudding posted:

This reminds me: Remember when Blizzard used to let you special-order a 3D-printed statue of your WoW character in all their gear? At one point I was so brain-fried by WoW that I probably would have gotten one if I wasn't totally broke at the time. I seem to recall they were really expensive for being just a plastic statue with some personalization on the pedestal, probably so Blizzard could recoup the cost of what had to be, at the time, a fuckin space-age 3D Printer.

I'm pretty sure it was actually a 3rd party process that Blizzard simply endorsed, but yeah.

Yep here it is

http://www.figureprints.com/wow/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
what do people even do with those statues?

i mean i had friends in the 360 era who had those halo 3 master chief helmets, but i never figured out what they did with them.

at least the woof link i got with twilight princess hd has a function as an amiibo within the game and in super mario maker & the new zelda.

edit: also i've been tempted to 3d print some of my kerbal space program rocket designs in the past.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was actually a 3rd party process that Blizzard simply endorsed, but yeah.

Yep here it is

http://www.figureprints.com/wow/

lmao yeah. $130 + shipping, holy poo poo. I know a bunch of people bought them, though, because the figureprints would pop up in like forum posts and blogs, which I guess is just a lesson in economic inequality :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've never understood the point of gaming figurines. It seems so silly. They just end up collecting dust right? Its not like you can proudly display them either.

I hate that collector's editions are all overpriced crap full of cheaply made models now. It used to be collector's editions were just $10-20 more and they'd come with big concept art books and all kinds of knicknacks, but now its just game + cheap model and they charge you $100-150. gently caress that.

axleblaze posted:

It's weird to me that publishers can't seem to grasp the really obvious concept that the majority of people don't want a big gaming statue and of those people, they want a character they actually know and like rather than a character from a game they haven't played yet.

It doesn't help that even when it's an established IP, most game characters are so generic that no one would want a statue of them either, I mean, I love the Infamous games but :lol: if you think I want a statue of generic, bald, white dude. Even Souls though people would get excited by a generic suit of armor.

With how many sequels there are these days often the characters are already known, but even then like you said most game characters are super generic and boring. I really don't know who buys them all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

lmao yeah. $130 + shipping, holy poo poo. I know a bunch of people bought them, though, because the figureprints would pop up in like forum posts and blogs, which I guess is just a lesson in economic inequality :v:

Its especially dumb with WoW characters because you change your gear and appearance constantly in MMORPGs.

So you spend all this money to get them to make a model of your figure, and by the time you get it 6 months later you're wearing a whole new set of armor, have new swords, and barely even remember the old clownshoes you used to be wearing.

I think there was even a penny arcade comic about this?

E: Yep https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/02/the-ungift-part-two

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

With how many sequels there are these days often the characters are already known, but even then like you said most game characters are super generic and boring. I really don't know who buys them all.

i don't know what you mean about video game protagonists looking the same, i mean look at this smorgasbord of diversity:

sometimes the guy wears a hat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thousands of people spend money on cosmetic in-game gear, is it really surprising that people would want physical merchandise too?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Having a gaming figurine of the WoW character you've spent a few hundred/thousand/million hours playing makes way, way, way more sense to me than paying a $70 upcharge on a game for most of the stupid poo poo people get out of Collector's Editions. People develop a sense of ownership over their tabletop characters for reasons that are completely natural, and MMOs are the closest thing most modern gamers have to that experience.

Jay Rust posted:

Thousands of people spend money on cosmetic in-game gear, is it really surprising that people would want physical merchandise too?

That too. There are people who've spent thousands of dollars on cosmetic items and gachas in pretty much every game that exists. I don't think a unique sub-$150 figurine even rates on the ladder of grotesque wealth inequality and repulsive consumerism in action.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Figures are super expensive which is why I only buy them while at conventions, but they look nice when I display them so I don't mind buying them

I also have like 30+ amiibo and they have the added functionality of in-game benefits across multiple games, which is more than I can say for the other games in the toys-to-life category

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I hate that collector's editions are all overpriced crap full of cheaply made models now. It used to be collector's editions were just $10-20 more and they'd come with big concept art books and all kinds of knicknacks, but now its just game + cheap model and they charge you $100-150. gently caress that.

Publishers of niche JP games still tend to do that or pack them in with first-run copies, but even then I don't like them much. It's usually stuff like a tiny artbook or a sample soundtrack CD when I could get full versions of either for $10-20 separately.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

i don't know what you mean about video game protagonists looking the same, i mean look at this smorgasbord of diversity:

This makes it all the more funny when gamers get all pissy when people suggest that it would be nice to have more women main characters.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blood & Wine for Witcher 3 is really good.

The new location is really bright and colorful which is a great contrast to the main game's map and locations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be fair, a lot of those games feature multiple protagonists.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

axleblaze posted:

This makes it all the more funny when gamers get all pissy when people suggest that it would be nice to have more women main characters.

when they say that i just imagine them sounding like dudley dursley saying he only got 36 presents

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Figures are super expensive which is why I only buy them while at conventions, but they look nice when I display them so I don't mind buying them

I also have like 30+ amiibo and they have the added functionality of in-game benefits across multiple games, which is more than I can say for the other games in the toys-to-life category

i don't mind the poseable figures because then i can put them in funny poses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

To be fair, a lot of those games feature multiple protagonists.

Its true; If you actually look going back all the way to like the 90s, male protagonists in games have always been more popular than female protagonists, but there have always been female protagonist games released year after year, even if some are less mainstream, and there have always been MORE games where you can either pick a character from several or create your own character.

Consistently there's like twice as many "pick a character" games as there are male or female protagonist, which makes sense from a business perspective of trying to appeal to a big market.

So its not so bad as some people say, and you can always put together a big image of people's faces but that doesn't really prove anything beyond "there are lots of video games", especially when you're pulling white male protagonists from years ago.

That said there's obviously still a lot of old fashioned ideas and stigma floating around the game industry that need to stop, and more women is cool.

Also even when games let you pick both, you have the Mass Effect situation where ALL the marketing focuses entirely on male Shepard, all the t-shirts and figurines and everything, the box art, are all advertised as male Shepard.

Or even worse is Fallout 4 where they let you create a female character but then her design feels kinda like it was shoehorned in at the last minute.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
A DLC(or expansion pack) came out for War for the Overworld a couple of days ago, time to get my dungeon keeping fix

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Or you get into a Mass Effect situation where all the animations were made for a male character model, and so when you play as a female Shepard, you get some interesting body language.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never understood the point of gaming figurines. It seems so silly. They just end up collecting dust right? Its not like you can proudly display them either.

I used to unironically want to buy an EVE Online ship figure (they used to sell them but not many people would buy them). Mostly because the design is cool and I like spaceships both real and fake. That said I am also not in Highschool anymore so that's probably why I wouldn't buy them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Instant Sunrise posted:

Or you get into a Mass Effect situation where all the animations were made for a male character model, and so when you play as a female Shepard, you get some interesting body language.

For a smaller/indie dev that'd make sense as it saves on production time/effort etc. on making multiple animation styles, especially for a thing that won't be present depending on what you choose as your characters gender.

That said though, BioWare/EA probably didn't have to worry about any of that sort of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heres your cjacobs update for the day, gamers. Currently at the doctors office, they have heard me out about. They symptoms and think I might be having gallstones or possibly an ulcer. So that guy that said dark souls gave me an ulcer might have been technically right lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Instant Sunrise posted:

I love that Francis York Morgan is just chilling out in the middle there, acting like he's totally the same as the others.

I see your game, Francis.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Man, clearly we need more ginger and blonde protagonists

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Heres your cjacobs update for the day, gamers. Currently at the doctors office, they have heard me out about. They symptoms and think I might be having gallstones or possibly an ulcer. So that guy that said dark souls gave me an ulcer might have been technically right lol

Stay safe

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

I didn't really notice until ME3 when the run animation for femshep sucked rear end and was hilarious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I hate to break it to you, but I'm a doctor for real and the only way to beat your mental illness or whatever is to keep playing Doom games for the rest of your life.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/thaRadBrad/status/738073846939582464

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ometeotl posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/thaRadBrad/status/738073846939582464

That is one iconic as gently caress case.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I mean I knew it had to be coming but still

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it'll be like rear end Creed and the second one will be a lot better!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I display my figurines

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zombies' Downfall posted:

can I skip right to Watch Dogs: Black Flag please

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i'm glad we get a new dog watching simulator

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Instant Sunrise posted:

but we already had THE DOG Island, we don't need this :pwn:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't see why not

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CrashCat posted:

but we already had THE DOG Island, we don't need this :pwn:

We don't need anything

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm shocked the guy didn't call that an iconic pair of sunglasses.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
watch dogs 2 leaks thanks to a pair of sunglasses, good.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

For a smaller/indie dev that'd make sense as it saves on production time/effort etc. on making multiple animation styles, especially for a thing that won't be present depending on what you choose as your characters gender.

That said though, BioWare/EA probably didn't have to worry about any of that sort of thing.

I noticed this in the latest Dragon Age. Actually the animations are all around pretty assy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'd prefer a new dog sleeping simulator