Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crash74
May 11, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I always liked Survivorman because Les is really out there on his own without a whole loving support team like most shows.

Bear grills needs to have a series where he stays at swank hotels around the world and gets std's from prostitutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Need more gold shows. I keep trying these other shows and they just dont do it for me. I need the gold, baby.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I got hooked on bearing sea gold this season, it's fun watching white trash families girl fight each other over gold crumbs.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Invalid Validation posted:

I got hooked on bearing sea gold this season, it's fun watching white trash families girl fight each other over gold crumbs.

This is real close to making me watch it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Combining both Alaska and gold in a Discovery Channel mashup! If they can add voodoo sharks somehow we'll be all set!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Gazaar posted:

This is real close to making me watch it.

Bering Sea has a nice variety in your reality television trainwrecks.

You have the old guy who has spent millions of dollars on gimmicks like underwater robots and never gets any gold and just yells at everyone.

Then you have the nice guy goon who dated the only girl dredge owner. He is actually competent but threw a hissyfit one year when she hosed some other guy or something (i dunno i don't pay attention to that)

Then you have the competent guys that have spent millions on an excavating barge that pulls in 10x the amount of gold anyone else does every year.

Then you have the rednecks that get into fistfights almost constantly and refuse to work with each other for maybe a week or two before they are right back fighting with each other.

Then you have the girl dredge owner that loses her entire crew every year because they hate her.

This year there is a second competent guy that built the largest dredge being used that can pull gold up from places other dredges can't , which is interesting to me. But don't be mistaken, they dropped all pretenses of this being about the mining a long time ago. And parts of it are obviously scripted.

The super broke, super angry rednecks somehow had $10,000 to drop on a worthless mining claim that they spent a few episodes rolling around on the ground fighting over? Nope. Discovery got that or something just for the redneck fight potential.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Gold rush is better.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Grem posted:

Wait why does Naked and Afraid have a bad rap here?

I've never watched it, but I was in traffic behind this guy today (I knew due to his vanity plate and the obnoxious self-promoting bumper stickers all over the truck) and he drives like an rear end in a top hat.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Jungle Gold was better.

Fixed it for you!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ok so I know it's the wrong channel but I am binging through Alone on the History channel and it is pretty drat good. But honestly this season feels like the winner is already decided.

Oh man you finally learned how to fish?
This dude has a buried stash of fish since day one.
Spilt your water you were boiling after being dehydrated for days?
This dude has a hand washing station complete with foot pedal.
Rat eating all your poo poo?
THIS MOTHERFUCKER HAS A BOAT NOW!

That dude has been so far ahead of everyone that he hasn't been in like half the episodes probably because it would be so obvious he's basically on vacation while everyone else is starving to death.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Gold Rush and Bearing Sea Gold are probably two shows that have been in my top 5 for yeaaaaars. It's more about technology being used to get the gold, and then the people are secondary. So you end up seeing these awesome expensive machines run by smart people/idiots/red necks/clueless people which makes them really enjoyable to watch.

That said, we're at the end of both seasons, so I've been recording Deadliest Catch because I want to find something else to watch with my morning coffee when I don't have any gold shows. One question I have is, why aren't they required to break for 10 hours like truck drivers. It might be "tv" making this seem more dangerous than it is, I don't know, but it certainly looks like all the same regs should apply here when peoples lives are on the line.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Grem posted:

Ok so I know it's the wrong channel but I am binging through Alone on the History channel and it is pretty drat good. But honestly this season feels like the winner is already decided.

Oh man you finally learned how to fish?
This dude has a buried stash of fish since day one.
Spilt your water you were boiling after being dehydrated for days?
This dude has a hand washing station complete with foot pedal.
Rat eating all your poo poo?
THIS MOTHERFUCKER HAS A BOAT NOW!

That dude has been so far ahead of everyone that he hasn't been in like half the episodes probably because it would be so obvious he's basically on vacation while everyone else is starving to death.

I could see him quitting because he is bored and misses his wife too much.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wukkar posted:

I could see him quitting because he is bored and misses his wife too much.

That guy probably will but Jose is in it for the long haul. I can see him winning, they come to get him and he's all "nah I'm good... thanks!"

I wanted to see what the hatchet girl brought. I think she was gonna be good and one distracted axe swing ended it all.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why does good Jake keep getting all the drunk fucks? And is it normal for other captains to give part of their quota to a younger captain like this new guy?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Chum Lee might have killed off pawn stars,

Austin Lee Russell, known as "Chumlee" on Pawn Stars, said in court Monday that he's taking a plea deal that would keep him out of jail on charges filed after guns and drugs were discovered in a search of his home in March.

David Chesnoff, Russell's lawyer, confirmed that the popular reality TV star, will plead guilty to a felony weapons charge — unlawful possession of a firearm —and to a gross misdemeanor of attempted drug possession, in a deal calls for three years' probation and counseling.

An official with A&E Network and the History Channel told the Associated Press that Pawn Stars, about the goings-on at a major Vegas pawn shop where Russell works, is not currently in production.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/05/23/chumlee-pawn-stars-wont-see-jail-guns-drugs-charges/84802182/

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lime Tonics posted:

They should make his probation officer into a character. That would provide a few laughs :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

I sure hope so, that show sucks.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked the old episodes until it became the very bad acting of Pawn Stars variety hour. If you think that's bad though, they have (had?) a really bad gameshow on the history channel I saw when I was staying in a hotel.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Philthy posted:

That said, we're at the end of both seasons, so I've been recording Deadliest Catch because I want to find something else to watch with my morning coffee when I don't have any gold shows. One question I have is, why aren't they required to break for 10 hours like truck drivers. It might be "tv" making this seem more dangerous than it is, I don't know, but it certainly looks like all the same regs should apply here when peoples lives are on the line.

Isn't it because they are fishing in international waters so there's no labor laws or OSHA that require them to do so? Go back and watch the very first season when they still had the derby season instead of the quotas to see true insanity.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spankmeister posted:

I sure hope so, that show sucks.

It's the closest thing to actual History related programming on that network, it's a shame it's always bookended by the most fake hokey bullshit imaginable.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

smg77 posted:

Isn't it because they are fishing in international waters so there's no labor laws or OSHA that require them to do so? Go back and watch the very first season when they still had the derby season instead of the quotas to see true insanity.

Ya the job is definitely no where near as dangerous as it was pre 2005. I'm sure if it was still like that there would be at least one discovery channel crew dead by now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phil Harris is still the only member of the "cast" to have died on the show right? Or has some random deckhand died in a DUI or something equally stupid/tragic off camera?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

howe_sam posted:

Phil Harris is still the only member of the "cast" to have died on the show right? Or has some random deckhand died in a DUI or something equally stupid/tragic off camera?

I think one former deckhand that we never focused on died on another boat down the line but it might have just been that they knew the guy?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

It's the closest thing to actual History related programming on that network, it's a shame it's always bookended by the most fake hokey bullshit imaginable.

I gave up on Pawn Stars when they stopped having any pretense of those items actually belonging to the people who bring them into the store; like they were just borrowing guitars from the guy who owned that guitar store, or when they had Rick Dale restore a Coke machine and the finished version was a completely different model of machine than the one that came in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

IRQ posted:

I think one former deckhand that we never focused on died on another boat down the line but it might have just been that they knew the guy?

In other words the show has (thankfully) not lived up to its name -- except for all those poor crabs.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

howe_sam posted:

In other words the show has (thankfully) not lived up to its name -- except for all those poor crabs.

The show might have killed Captain Keith's marriage.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

smg77 posted:

The show might have killed Captain Keith's marriage.

Let's be honest. That marriage was going to implode sooner or later anyway.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Also broke that dude's back, and the cold open of this season's first episode didn't paint a rosy picture for Sig.

Oh yeah, and Jake Harris is off in detox somewhere.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Did they show if Mac blew out his knee or not?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nvm

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

kefkafloyd posted:

Oh yeah, and Jake Harris is off in detox somewhere.

I hope it sticks this time because he looked awful in that Legend of the Cornelia Marie special :-(

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
People falling asleep at the wheel again? Like what in the gently caress. I've never driven a boat that size but I'm correct in assuming that kenny kid is a god drat retard for thinking its not a big deal that he was asleep for 4 hours instead of guiding the boat? Or can the boat drive itself more or less?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The boat can probably cross the entire Bering Straight without a captain 98% of the time. Only problem is that 2% means everyone dies.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Grem posted:

The boat can probably cross the entire Bering Straight without a captain 98% of the time. Only problem is that 2% means everyone dies.

Yeah but what the gently caress was Kenny's reaction " It's not that of a big deal, nobody got hurt". I'm starting to understand more and more why some of the Captains are such loving assholes, I wonder how many times someone like Bill has had retards falling asleep at the wheel.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We have well-established that Kenny is a moron.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

People falling asleep at the wheel again? Like what in the gently caress. I've never driven a boat that size but I'm correct in assuming that kenny kid is a god drat retard for thinking its not a big deal that he was asleep for 4 hours instead of guiding the boat? Or can the boat drive itself more or less?

They have autopilot within reason but with extreme conditions like that and being in the middle of goddamn nowhere you want a human to be on the lookout for bigass waves, engine warnings, etc before everything is covered in either water or fire.

Even just equipment damage from a pot coming loose and bashing around would be a Big Deal so yeah, but so many guys on this show are idiots soooo.

e: you would think it wouldn't be all that hard and would be super advantageous to find someone to just be the cabin boy and cook/clean/steer for a few grand, as much as they make in so sort a time. At least on the super profitable larger boats like Keith's.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 2, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

Yeah but what the gently caress was Kenny's reaction " It's not that of a big deal, nobody got hurt". I'm starting to understand more and more why some of the Captains are such loving assholes, I wonder how many times someone like Bill has had retards falling asleep at the wheel.

I think it was the start of this season Bill walked in on a dude sleeping and smacked him upside the head. He felt a lot worse then retard kenny. I can't imagine what Jake did at home after seeing that air. Four god drat hours. JFC.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Even Kenny's face is deeply, deeply stupid.

"I don't wanna..noo"

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

look at the damage Sig's boat took when he took that rogue wave, i have a feeling these greenhorns don't understand how quickly mother nature can just destroy a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Photex posted:

look at the damage Sig's boat took when he took that rogue wave, i have a feeling these greenhorns don't understand how quickly mother nature can just destroy a boat.

I've been on larger v/ls than those, and have been hit by 80 footers. We weren't going over them, we were getting green water over the bridge. The captain was making GBS threads his pants.

• Locked thread