Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Twelve by Pies posted:

They also pronounced Exdeath "Exodees" for some reason.

There wasn't an official English translation at the time, so all they had to go on was his Japanese name, which is Ekusudesu in romaji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Query: What's the proper syntax for, say, doing a 750 Chaos run? I've been trying to reg using that and so far I've gotten either Chaos or Team 750, not the both.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Tempest_56 posted:

Query: What's the proper syntax for, say, doing a 750 Chaos run? I've been trying to reg using that and so far I've gotten either Chaos or Team 750, not the both.

It's #regchaos750.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Tempest_56 posted:

It's @ff5forfutures #regChaos750

The drop down menus on the front page of http://fourjobfiesta.com/ have also been updated to cover this stuff, in case you prefer to go through that.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

It's #regchaos750.

That's the problem, I had 750chaos. Thanks muchly.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

They also pronounced Exdeath "Exodees" for some reason.

They called him Exodus in FFXII.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Twelve by Pies posted:

All I got out of it is that Bartz is going to be named Bats in my first run in honor of how they pronounced his name in the English dub. They also pronounced Exdeath "Exodees" for some reason.

ExoDEEZ NUTS

...sorry. I'm going a little batty waiting to fiesta.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bregor posted:

ExoDEEZ NUTS

Paging Can of Worms to the mod making courtesy phone.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FeyerbrandX posted:

They called him Exodus in FFXII.
No loving way.

I even knew Zeromus was another summon and I never made that connection.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No loving way.

Chaos (FF 1), the Emperor (FF 2) and the Cloud of Darkness (FF 3) are also referenced!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No loving way.

Yeah, all the FF12 espers were based off of either FFT Lucavi or series final bosses (or both), save for Shemhazai. Like, Mateus is the Emperor from FF2, Famfrit is called "the Darkening Cloud" after FF3's final boss, Chaos and Zeromus should be obvious. Zodiark is a fringe case because Eldlibs counts, however technically, as a lucavi in FFT.

(e:f;b WT FITS :argh:)

Twelve by Pies posted:

In honor of the Fiesta this year I decided to actually watch Legend of the Crystals.

It wasn't good! The best praise I can give it is that it was just really boring rather than actively bad. By the fourth episode I just didn't give a poo poo about it anymore.

Actively bad shows can be, depending on taste, so bad that they wrap around to hilarious. Super boringly bad shows are just bad no matter how you slice the waffle. That alone is the sole reason I rate Final Fantasy Unlimited over LotC and that one CGI movie that almost ruined Square forever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, my test run is on World 2 now and I got Black Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dancer.

I'm not super happy with this team composition. At least I get to learn more about Captures, I suppose.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Dias posted:

Man, my test run is on World 2 now and I got Black Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dancer.

I'm not super happy with this team composition. At least I get to learn more about Captures, I suppose.

You're in a pretty good state, you can knock off almost 3/4 of the final bosses HP almost immediately with that setup, followed by Magus rod boosted aga spells and sword dances.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dias posted:

Hope you farmed enough gil for Flame Rings in World 1. If you did that, then you're golden. If not, you're gonna have some HP problems for a few bosses.

Learn what captures do 25% MaxHP attacks. (Yellow Dragon in Exdeath's Castle is one of them, Dragon Aevis in the void is another.) Instant death monsters are also good in the rare cases a boss is vulnerable.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Kyrosiris posted:

Paging Can of Worms to the mod making courtesy phone.
So what, replace W2 Exdeath with a Soul Eater?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Replace him with X-Depp

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Is there an offline gilgabot program that allows you to Fiesta when Fiesta is not going on?

I wanna try out aravingloon's idea of a double natural/hybrid/hybritural run before the festivities start. Also getting antsy and I want to start prematurely.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

Is there an offline gilgabot program that allows you to Fiesta when Fiesta is not going on?

I wanna try out aravingloon's idea of a double natural/hybrid/hybritural run before the festivities start. Also getting antsy and I want to start prematurely.

Go into the IRC, and use Cardybot for any style(.help to see the commands), you can also use excel or random.org if you don't like the bot.

The bot supports most runs now, I think.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dias posted:

On the bright side, there really aren't many enemies that can pose a threat when you have a Black Mage.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Go into the IRC, and use Cardybot for any style(.help to see the commands)

Thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You could also try keeping it in your pants for a week so you don't burn out before it counts.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think if I ever get chemist I'll job fair it. I just find chemist painfully unfun. I'd rather a geomancer than a chemist.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You could also try keeping it in your pants for a week so you don't burn out before it counts.

I want to familiarize myself with the game again since it's been 4-5 years since I last attempted to play it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Does everyone else remember their very first fiesta team?

Mine was Monk/Summoner/Bard/Dragoon. It was a really good team if not a little boring on the physical side of things. I still have a soft spot for Summoner and Bard and secretly wish for them every year.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Asiina posted:

I think if I ever get chemist I'll job fair it. I just find chemist painfully unfun. I'd rather a geomancer than a chemist.

Try forgoing !Mix. It removes a lot of the tedious and broken stuff Chemist can do, but still lets them be a good support class.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Monk/Berserker/Bard/Dancer. Pretty fun once I made it past Byblos.

Asiina posted:

Chemist is great if your other jobs are horrible because it can single-handedly carry you through all of the tough spots. It does feel a bit superfluous if you already have a strong line-up though. Why waste time with Mix when you can just nuke your enemies into submission?

Although to be fair, Drink is one of the most underrated abilities in the game. Its effects are pretty drat powerful considering how cheap the items are.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Somehow completely forgot we were nearly in season for this. I'm excited. Also a little more well-off, so I figured this round I should probably pay it forward.

Tots for Tots

FFV is my second favorite Final Fantasy. My favorite is FFIX. Recently, forums superstar Mega64 ran a pretty good but sadly short-lived LP of the game in which he claimed "No one remembers Doctor Tot," Princess Garnet's royal tutor. As someone who has never forgotten Doctor Tot I was baffled, bewildered, and incensed. How could anyone forget this marvelous, muppet-like man and his truly magnificent schnoz?

Seriously man, just look at that thing.

Anyway, I've since decided to give the good doctor a much-needed boost in popularity. For every person in this thread who beats FFV this fiesta before I do with their main guy named Tot, I will donate $5. I may or may not also change my avatar to Doctor Tot, and keep it for as many days as there are players who beat me. My donation ceiling is a cool $200, meaning up to 40 players can take me up on this offer, but I'll require screenshots of Exdeath's demise at Tot's hands before I start counting out the cash.

This summer, let's remember Doctor Tot.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Asiina posted:

Mine was Monk/Summoner/Bard/Dragoon. It was a really good team if not a little boring on the physical side of things. I still have a soft spot for Summoner and Bard and secretly wish for them every year.

I only remember my first having a Dragoon. And that whatever I had was the exact same as my second run. y'know, like the 0.76% chance of that happening or whatever. Thankfully Gilgabot had mercy and jobfaired me for free that time to get something other than Dragoon.

e: Now I have to fastforward through the intro and neglect Bortz.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Asiina posted:

Red Mage / Red Mage / Dancer / Chemist

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Asiina posted:

Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Samurai.

The only run where I've ever taken the Brave Blade, and Shinryu took some serious tinkering with to defeat, since I had no way of berserking or blinding him or mitigating some of his damage. Looking back on the thread from two years ago...

quote:

My strategy was, I believe, Equip Shield on the Bard, give him the Aegis Shield and Main Gauche and Running Shoes, have him try and sing Hero's Rime until his inevitable demise (he'd have to block the initial Tidal Wave due to no Coral Ring), Knight with Coral Ring and Ice Shield, Spellblade, and Flare Sword, Mystic Knight with the same except with Equip Swords (to use Defender), give the Samurai Protect status and then Flare Sword, and finally Samurai with Coral Ring and Equip Harps, but started out with Masamune to give herself Haste, then switched to Apollo Harp and just played as fast as she could. Everyone in the back row. It took a hell of a lot of tries before the RNG was in my favor but it was a great feeling that the strategy worked.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Asiina posted:

Mine was Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai. :smithicide:

I wouldn't have finished if it weren't for fast forwarding.

Wargly
Aug 16, 2013
this year will be my first, I'm excited to see what I get and will probably remember the team going forward.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bad Seafood posted:

Somehow completely forgot we were nearly in season for this. I'm excited. Also a little more well-off, so I figured this round I should probably pay it forward.

Tots for Tots

FFV is my second favorite Final Fantasy. My favorite is FFIX. Recently, forums superstar Mega64 ran a pretty good but sadly short-lived LP of the game in which he claimed "No one remembers Doctor Tot," Princess Garnet's royal tutor. As someone who has never forgotten Doctor Tot I was baffled, bewildered, and incensed. How could anyone forget this marvelous, muppet-like man and his truly magnificent schnoz?

Seriously man, just look at that thing.

Anyway, I've since decided to give the good doctor a much-needed boost in popularity. For every person in this thread who beats FFV this fiesta before I do with their main guy named Tot, I will donate $5. I may or may not also change my avatar to Doctor Tot, and keep it for as many days as there are players who beat me. My donation ceiling is a cool $200, meaning up to 40 players can take me up on this offer, but I'll require screenshots of Exdeath's demise at Tot's hands before I start counting out the cash.

This summer, let's remember Doctor Tot.
dude I don't even remember who Princess Garnet is

I'll do this though.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Asiina posted:

I didn't remember the team, but I did remember I've kept the victory pics from my runs so..

My first team was knight/zerk/zerk/dancer.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Tots for Tots

:unsmith:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Bard is my favourite support class. It seems useless at first glance, but can do so much and doesn't require huge amounts of grinding to do so like chemist or blue mage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As a fellow FFIX fan, I'll do the Tot thing, as long as I don't blank out on it. Tot is pretty dope.

KataraniSword posted:

Hope you farmed enough gil for Flame Rings in World 1. If you did that, then you're golden. If not, you're gonna have some HP problems for a few bosses.

Learn what captures do 25% MaxHP attacks. (Yellow Dragon in Exdeath's Castle is one of them, Dragon Aevis in the void is another.) Instant death monsters are also good in the rare cases a boss is vulnerable.

Couldn't be bothered to farm gold. Hell, I might be underleveled, I think I'm in my late 10's still.

I suppose I just spam good Captures and clean up with spells. It's good practice at least, hehe. It does make for the squishiest party ever if you can't be bothered to grind, I had to cheese the meteor bosses super hard.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Bad Seafood posted:

I now have a save at the Wind Crystal with a hobo named Tot. :unsmith:

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Asiina posted:

Bard is my favourite support class. It seems useless at first glance, but can do so much and doesn't require huge amounts of grinding to do so like chemist or blue mage.

I have to agree that Bard is a pretty badass support once you give it a chance. The ability to trivialize most random encounters by spamming Stop/confuse on everything, free healing by mixing in a Mighty March if your resources are starting to get stretched out, absolutely slaughter undead and trivialize the sea trench (which is wonderful if you have a Time Mage and want Meteor, or a Monk and are willing to give up the Acc slot for Kaiser Gloves). And you can get into level buffing shenanigans without needing a Chemist (and speed buffing shenanigans, too). They don't really do damage except for zombies (and dragons, once you get the legendary harp), but they make so many things a lot easier to manage.

I'm always ecstatic to get either a Bard or a Time Mage when I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bad Seafood posted:

Tots for Tots

I'll give this a shot too, even if I'm not sure how fast I'll be finishing this year. It's gonna be a rough month.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread