Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Two great tastes that taste great together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I kinda want this but I've never really got into any of their other games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Kins posted:

oh god why won't it die

still if they took this long to put it together maybe it sucks less

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
APB Reloaded Reloaded

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
IT'S HERE reads like a horror tagline in this context

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Could be worse, could be CrimeCraft

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Are there any big dramatic Oscar winning movies that'd make a good video game adaptation? Like, you sorta have had Titanic games before, but I mean, you couldn't really make a video game out of Precious, could you? No cell-phone adaptation of Birdman?
There's Scarface. Sherlock Holmes C&P is better than any Sherlock Holmes movie ever made. The Last Espress is a great Agatha Christie game. Overall if the movie has action it can be translated into a game or when it has some sort of crime hook then it could be made into an adventure game. The 'walking simulator' genre has potential for some movies as well like I could see Space Odyssey 2001 done like that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh hey they released D on gog:
https://www.gog.com/game/d_the_game

Starring renown digital actress Laura!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Good morning, fellow goons. Can you believe it's Friday already? Because I can't!

Finally started case 3 in Justice for All last night. People tell me it's the worst case in the game, but it's gonna be hard to top the beginning case of the game in awful (memory loss is a pretty contrived way to set up a tutorial; would've preferred something like "a father brings his kid to court and explains what Phoenix is doing").

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The really awkward thing about the Godfather games is how they got a bunch of the actors from the movies to do voices and likeness rights so their characters could look right. Except Al Pacino said he wanted nothing to do with it, so you have an all star cast and then just some rando as Michael.

Also fun was the PC version of the first one had copy protection where if you pirated it you couldn't get out of a car. So the thread was full of posts from people going "what's the button to get out of the car? Nothing seems to work."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Could be worse, could be CrimeCraft

I refuse to believe this does not exist.

Anyway, APB had some neat ideas and I will always be sad that it failed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I remember about APB was that there was a goon who worked on it and for some reason he kept lying to people about it in the thread. Stuff like he would claim that it was F2P which is only true in a technical sense as you could do the dress up part free but not actually PLAY the game. Also there was that whole thing about the review embargo where the publisher tried to tell publications that they weren't supposed to put out reviews until something like a week after release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The original release of APB was a magnificent and beautiful mess. Didn't they try and get away with a pay-per-hour subscription scheme inspired by Korean internet cafes or something?

When a new form of monetization (expansion packs, DLC, free-to-play...) comes to wider attention, there are so many wildly ambitious, yet flailingly clumsy attempts to implement it before the industry as a whole seems to agree on something that both works and pisses off the least people. The rise of DLC last generation, for example, saw things like The Godfather locking weapon upgrade options behind DLC, and Horse Armor in Oblivion...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

muscles like this? posted:

Also fun was the PC version of the first one had copy protection where if you pirated it you couldn't get out of a car. So the thread was full of posts from people going "what's the button to get out of the car? Nothing seems to work."
I love anti-piracy ideas like these. The invincible scorpion enemy from Serious Sam 3, Dragon Quest 5 starting boat never making it to land, one of the Talos Principle's elevators locking the pirate inside. Game Dev Tycoon has the best meta option where at some point the pirate is informed that too many people are pirating the developed game and the in-game studio then goes bankrupt fast.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Oh loving cool. I've been thinking of trying to get a Saturn emulator to work to play this but I generally don't like emulators. I will play this this weekend for sure

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Kins posted:

No surprise here-- they announced APB would be on the Xbox over a decade ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

I love anti-piracy ideas like these. The invincible scorpion enemy from Serious Sam 3, Dragon Quest 5 starting boat never making it to land, one of the Talos Principle's elevators locking the pirate inside. Game Dev Tycoon has the best meta option where at some point the pirate is informed that too many people are pirating the developed game and the in-game studio then goes bankrupt fast.

Like how the third person shooter Ghostbusters turned one of the easiest enemies in the game invincible.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Like how the third person shooter Ghostbusters turned one of the easiest enemies in the game invincible.

Didn't Arkham Asylum do a thing where they messed with a coefficient in the gliding physics, so you eventually reached a gap that you straight-up couldn't jump across?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

New Concept Hole posted:

No surprise here-- they announced APB would be on the Xbox over a decade ago.

Holy cow, APB came out 6 years ago. drat, it doesn't feel like it's been that long.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Earthbound is legendary at this where it starts exponentially multiplying the amount of enemies throughout the game making it superhard and then when the pirate actuelly still manages to get through the game it crashes just before the final boss and erases all saves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The thing I remember about APB was that there was a goon who worked on it and for some reason he kept lying to people about it in the thread. Stuff like he would claim that it was F2P which is only true in a technical sense as you could do the dress up part free but not actually PLAY the game. Also there was that whole thing about the review embargo where the publisher tried to tell publications that they weren't supposed to put out reviews until something like a week after release.

monster w/ 21 faces is the best shill

kept trying to convince people everything was fine and they should buy the game right up until they fired everyone lmao

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stuff like he would claim that it was F2P which is only true in a technical sense as you could do the dress up part free but not actually PLAY the game.
Had to be something else, because I played that lump of poo poo and I assure you I never paid anyone

Oh wait, maybe it was in their beta that went on for like years :saddowns:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CrashCat posted:

Had to be something else, because I played that lump of poo poo and I assure you I never paid anyone

Oh wait, maybe it was in their beta that went on for like years :saddowns:

Like was mentioned earlier, they went with a weird system where you didn't pay by the month but you would buy chunks of hours instead. Which seems like a good way to lose money if your game isn't very good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

How is APB still going? Everyone moved over to GTA Online.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

monster w/ 21 faces is the best shill

kept trying to convince people everything was fine and they should buy the game right up until they fired everyone lmao

To be fair he was actually an employee for the developer at the time.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Are there any big dramatic Oscar winning movies that'd make a good video game adaptation? Like, you sorta have had Titanic games before, but I mean, you couldn't really make a video game out of Precious, could you? No cell-phone adaptation of Birdman?

Revenant would be a pretty baller game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is obvious as hell, but Hardcore Harry already looks like a fuckin video game on screen

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

IT'S HERE reads like a horror tagline in this context

Heeeeeeeeeeere's Xbox!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I refuse to believe this does not exist.

Anyway, APB had some neat ideas and I will always be sad that it failed.

To this date APB still has the best character creator tool ever made. You can do crazy amounts of personalization with that game.

However the driving and shooting suck and that's kinda huge. Ruins the whole thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

calling all cars calling all cars

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Baal posted:

This is obvious as hell, but Hardcore Harry already looks like a fuckin video game on screen

Hardcore Henry is also garbage so it has that in common with video game films.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The only thing I remember about APB Reloaded is that they didn't have any servers near my country, meaning driving was effectively impossible due to 300ms lag on all controls.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't the game heavily instanced so there wasn't really any fun to be had driving around as a cop or a criminal?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wasn't the game heavily instanced so there wasn't really any fun to be had driving around as a cop or a criminal?
Yeah if you got in an instance with a better group of opponents, the matchmaking would keep sending them to wreck your poo poo anyway and make it completely repetitive

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

Hardcore Henry is also garbage so it has that in common with video game films.

I'm mostly just speaking from trailers cause when I saw them I was like "This looks like it was meant to be a loving game"

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Baal posted:

I'm mostly just speaking from trailers cause when I saw them I was like "This looks like it was meant to be a loving game"

Oh yeah you're 100% right. I just really hated that film.

It would have been much better as some weird indie FMV Dragon's Lair game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
ABP had a really neat vector-based logo creator. That is the beginning and end of the nice things I have to say about that game. Also lol, I forgot about monster w 21 faces shilling the game until the moment he got fired, when their entire $120million game got shitcanned for making barely 1% back in the months after release.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've been waiting all my life for a director to make a fully first-person film (enter the void came close) so I can't fault Hardcore Henry for trying what it did, and parts of it were really incredible. The stunt work was fantastic, and people really looked like they were getting beat up and stabbed and shot.

However unfortunately the technical side of it just wasn't up to par, which made the whole thing way less enjoyable than I was hoping. Not only did the camera shake way too much when they should have tried to keep it more stable (even possibly should have used post-production image stabilization!) but the biggest problem was the focus, there's just no easy way to handle the focus in that kind of situation, so its constantly going in and out of being blurry and that kinda ruined the whole thing. :smith:

Still glad they tried though, and looking forward to camera technology improving so somebody else can give it another shot. Maybe not as an action movie but as a drama or something.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bloodychill posted:

ABP had a really neat vector-based logo creator.
which they ruined by making it display in lovely low res with no option to change it if the game didn't like your system config lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been waiting all my life for a director to make a fully first-person film (enter the void came close) so I can't fault Hardcore Henry for trying what it did, and parts of it were really incredible. The stunt work was fantastic, and people really looked like they were getting beat up and stabbed and shot.

However unfortunately the technical side of it just wasn't up to par, which made the whole thing way less enjoyable than I was hoping. Not only did the camera shake way too much when they should have tried to keep it more stable (even possibly should have used post-production image stabilization!) but the biggest problem was the focus, there's just no easy way to handle the focus in that kind of situation, so its constantly going in and out of being blurry and that kinda ruined the whole thing. :smith:

Still glad they tried though, and looking forward to camera technology improving so somebody else can give it another shot. Maybe not as an action movie but as a drama or something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_in_the_Lake there's actually quite a few films throughout history that have done first person narrative, it's generally just an hard way to shoot a movie and still have it look interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The original Friday the 13th used first-person perspective MurderVision(tm) as a way to hide the identity of the murderer

which led to every murder scene being "oh hey how's it going Person I Will Not Nameurrggahhgg I have been impaled by a ski pole!"

• Locked thread