Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

So what's the deal with engineering samples?

I need a transcoding PC and while searching for processors found this

It appears as though a particular motherboard would be needed I guess?

Why not get something a little better for a little more?

Soo tempted, but un overclockable it would only work as a Encoding server for me. I need a E5 1680 V2, but i'm not spending that much...

*Edit* drat though on that link. they show all the supported motherboards, Bios's, and even will supply a free bios chip with the correct version on it for free? Thats pretty neat.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'll need a C series chipset motherboard (expensive) but not because of the ES nature. the EP processors are made to be used in dual socket configurations and single socket motherboard compatibility isn't guaranteed, though some manufacturers have figured out workarounds to get them running on X79 chipsets. This is probably a better bargain if you're looking for a cheap highly threaded CPU transcoding box, around 100 dollars for 8 cores and around 24GB of memory in a complete system just add drives. http://www.natex.us/product-p/fquanta98l.htm

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

craig588 posted:

You'll need a C series chipset motherboard (expensive) but not because of the ES nature. the EP processors are made to be used in dual socket configurations and single socket motherboard compatibility isn't guaranteed, though some manufacturers have figured out workarounds to get them running on X79 chipsets. This is probably a better bargain if you're looking for a cheap highly threaded CPU transcoding box, around 100 dollars for 8 cores and around 24GB of memory in a complete system just add drives. http://www.natex.us/product-p/fquanta98l.htm

drat that is cheap. $198 for 48G and 12 cores isn't bad either. Just have no place to put one of those currently.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah how in the hell are they swinging that?

Shipping kinda kills it though :(

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 2, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BiohazrD posted:

Yeah how in the hell are they swinging that?

4+ year old servers are not worth the electricity they take to run, so there's a lot of refurbishers selling machines even with warranties and support for very cheap.

My favorite vendor for that kind of thing is http://www.savemyserver.com/ , you can get Dell PowerEdges with 24 threads and 144GB of RAM and the management tools for ~$800 ready to go with a 2 year warranty. If you're willing to go without support or just ebay the parts yourself it can get even cheaper.

Edit: This vendor has free shipping too :grin:

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 2, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I already have the drives. (like 30 500G's my old job was throwing away) so I can make it a 3TB encoding beast and just throw it, somewhere I guess. drat I know 1366 systems are a dime a dozen now, but really that is a killer price fully loaded. The question is will it work under any load or poo poo the bed like a bunch of C6100's I have seen when they idle for too long even.

^^^ Yea Datacenter power seems to be at a premium and even the 1366 C6100's were saving my last company a lot of power vs performance compared to old R series Dells.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The biggest issue with putting a 1U server in your house is that they tend to be full of high RPM 40mm fans that are shrill and loud as hell. I found a spare Sandy Bridge-E one being thrown out at work and took it to my desk to tinker with, but I quickly realized that anyone sitting near me was not going to be happy with that idea.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep. Thats why I am hesitating...

If I could just throw it into the back of the shop connected to power and a lan cable or wifi that would be great, but it would have to be checked for dust/spider/wasp/whatever often (unless I just kept it on all the time). The noise wouldn't fly anywhere else. :/

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

That's not really a problem for me, I already have a centrally cabled area where all my Cat5, multi zone speaker wiring, Coax, etc runs to with plenty of room to spare and not near where anyone would hear. I might have to jump on this. That 2x 6 core monstrosity is $270 shipped. I could run a HD plex stream in every room no problem.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eletriarnation posted:

The biggest issue with putting a 1U server in your house is that they tend to be full of high RPM 40mm fans that are shrill and loud as hell. I found a spare Sandy Bridge-E one being thrown out at work and took it to my desk to tinker with, but I quickly realized that anyone sitting near me was not going to be happy with that idea.

1Us aren't going to be too great, but I have a gigantic pile of surplus R710s at work, and they have good BIOS fan control to stay pretty comfortably quiet. They're not on a normal desktop level of course, but they're a very long way from full throttle screaming fans non stop- They're reasonable enough to have one in your office at work if you needed to fuss with it, for example.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Twerk from Home posted:

4+ year old servers are not worth the electricity they take to run, so there's a lot of refurbishers selling machines even with warranties and support for very cheap.

My favorite vendor for that kind of thing is http://www.savemyserver.com/ , you can get Dell PowerEdges with 24 threads and 144GB of RAM and the management tools for ~$800 ready to go with a 2 year warranty. If you're willing to go without support or just ebay the parts yourself it can get even cheaper.

Edit: This vendor has free shipping too :grin:

...oh...oh my god. I'm about to waste some perfectly good money.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

I have a gigantic pile of surplus R710s at work

go on...

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Gwaihir posted:

1Us aren't going to be too great, but I have a gigantic pile of surplus R710s at work, and they have good BIOS fan control to stay pretty comfortably quiet. They're not on a normal desktop level of course, but they're a very long way from full throttle screaming fans non stop- They're reasonable enough to have one in your office at work if you needed to fuss with it, for example.

Yeah, I can believe that. The one I have is a Cisco UCS C220 and might be the same but it started out loud enough at my desk that I turned it off immediately. It doesn't sound all that loud racked up with other equipment but when the ambient noise level is over 70dB it's hard to tell really.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ how can this poo poo be so cheap. I'm going to have to bring back a rackmout server from my next American vacation, aren't I.

Glad to see Kaby lake on track, more or less. Any ideas if the desktop parts are also going to be available in H2? Since I'm waiting for both new Nvidia and AMD cards to be available before making a choice, I hope they'll be out in late summer-fall as well so I can get all-new tech at least, even though I'm sure the difference will be minimal.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

They're probably not even worth the cost of shipping, most were generic fileservers and only came with 6 ( 6 * 1gig lolol) gigs of ram, and two slow X5504 (2ghz quad no HT) or X5620 (2.4ghz quad + HT) CPUs.

And all the 146gig 15k RPM drives one could ever want! (Seriously I have 6 shelves of old IBM storage with 72 139 gig 15k drives and it's like what the gently caress is this even worth doing anything with)

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, I can believe that. The one I have is a Cisco UCS C220 and might be the same but it started out loud enough at my desk that I turned it off immediately. It doesn't sound all that loud racked up with other equipment but when the ambient noise level is over 70dB it's hard to tell really.

Oh yea, default behavior for all these machines is to boot with the fans at 100% full throttle. A run of the mill 2u server is one thing, I have an AS400 in my server room as well that I can easily hear through the full on wall if I were to cold boot it. The fans hit about "Jet takeoff level" for something like 5 minutes on a completely cold startup for that thing.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 2, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

They're probably not even worth the cost of shipping, most were generic fileservers and only came with 6 ( 6 * 1gig lolol) gigs of ram, and two slow X5504 (2ghz quad no HT) or X5620 (2.4ghz quad + HT) CPUs.

And all the 146gig 15k RPM drives one could ever want! (Seriously I have 6 shelves of old IBM storage with 72 139 gig 15k drives and it's like what the gently caress is this even worth doing anything with)

Where would you be shipping these from by chance...?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

This is insane.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant...MgAAOSwvg9XTypu

How was I not ever aware of this

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BiohazrD posted:

This is insane.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant...MgAAOSwvg9XTypu

How was I not ever aware of this

Fair warning HP are loving dicks and won't even let you download bios updates/drivers/etc without an active warranty on one of their systems. If going for used kit, go Dell.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Where would you be shipping these from by chance...?

I'm in Florida, but I'm also preeeety sure I can't legally give them out even though they're literally just going to get recyclered or dumpstered at some point :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/pierre-delforge/california-energy-commission-proposes-new-efficiency-standards-will-cut

Very soon, power draw in desktop chips will actually matter!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

So what's the deal with engineering samples?

I need a transcoding PC and while searching for processors found this

It appears as though a particular motherboard would be needed I guess?
I remember, when I was an undergrad, AMD did a presentation to our IEEE chapter and gave away an engineering sample of an Athlon 64 (X2?).

From what I recall, the only thing special about it was an unlocked multiplier.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gotta love CA :v:

Gwaihir posted:

Fair warning HP are loving dicks and won't even let you download bios updates/drivers/etc without an active warranty on one of their systems. If going for used kit, go Dell.

I'm in Florida, but I'm also preeeety sure I can't legally give them out even though they're literally just going to get recyclered or dumpstered at some point :(

That is 100% true for HP, even with their little Microservers. :argh:

And as long as you're not giving out drives, (as sad as that may be), could you not swipe all the hardware before it goes that far? Sucks to have so much perfectly good hardware just go to waste when we have a forum full of tech nerds who would love to have their own R710's, for whatever the heck.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Well I may go with this

2x E5645 with 12GB of RAM, throw a small SSD in there and boom, I should have an encoding monster.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Gotta love CA :v:

That is 100% true for HP, even with their little Microservers. :argh:

And as long as you're not giving out drives, (as sad as that may be), could you not swipe all the hardware before it goes that far? Sucks to have so much perfectly good hardware just go to waste when we have a forum full of tech nerds who would love to have their own R710's, for whatever the heck.

Some places are really strict. I was at our datacenter a while back and they had a guy there watching a disposal company scan and verify that their blades would be destroyed. I'm sure its contractual that the hardware can never be used for anything in case theres a stuck bit or two in that processor/RAM

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How is Gigabyte about the only board maker to have full 3x16 PCIe electrical on one of their new X99 boards? It comes with triple slot spacing on the first two 16x slots, two U2 ports, 1 m2 port, and none of this adversely affects first two 16x slots. So they basically run at 16x forever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SlayVus posted:

How is Gigabyte about the only board maker to have full 3x16 PCIe electrical on one of their new X99 boards? It comes with triple slot spacing on the first two 16x slots, two U2 ports, 1 m2 port, and none of this adversely affects first two 16x slots. So they basically run at 16x forever.

Aside from Gigabyte being the king of "Kitchen sink" boards, the number of people that actually buy these and run triple SLI+ is so vanishingly small that it makes no business sense to design and sell an SKU with the extra expensive PLX chip needed to provide that many PCIe lanes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
5820K while I still can ($320), 6800K ($400), or wait for Skylake-E?

Thinking seriously about picking up a 5820K. Or maybe I'll settle for 6700K, gently caress it, I don't know :smith:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you can wait, wait. Skylake has higher IPC and overclocks better than Haswell and Broadwell. There will always be something new coming out in a year though, if you can use 6 cores now, get a 5820k. I had to get a new PC last month and felt like I had reliable leaks on the overclockability and pricing so I bought a 5820K and I'm glad I didn't wait now that official Broadwell-E reviews are out.

If you're mostly playing games, get a 6600K.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Haswell is preferred to Broadwell and Skylake is preferred to both, right?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Broadwell did have that funny bit about all the extra cache.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Broadwell-C is even more expensive than Skylake, though. And a really poor overclocker (though, I suspect mostly because it was taped out for low power, rather than high performance, being a mobile part and all). As we've seen with other Broadwell designs, the arch is perfectly capable of sky-high clocks (source: that Xeon that turbos to 5.1GHz out of the box).
Still, if you've got cache miss-related troubs, it will give you a huge performance boost.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

lDDQD posted:

that Xeon that turbos to 5.1GHz out of the box

Was a fake or something so specialized for a high end customer Intel didn't even bother putting it on ARK.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Oh, you're right. I wish I'd remembered that I read about it on techpowerup (:jerkbag:) in the first place.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So that came quickly

Anyways I'm guess I'll throw esxi on this thing and virtualize everything I own

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
How loud is it?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Eletriarnation posted:

How loud is it?

WHAT?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HOW LOUD IS IT

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

So that came quickly

Anyways I'm guess I'll throw esxi on this thing and virtualize everything I own

Before you Entrust it with everything completely, make sure it is stable with ESXi sitting there for a few days.

Can't tell you how many used Dell C6100's nodes I have seen that Purple Screened just sitting there doing nothing. :/

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah nothing important is going on it. I have a separate synology file server that's going to stay that way. I found some ecc registered ram on Craigslist for $30/2x8GB so I'm going to pick some of that up and start playing

It's also not bad noise wise. At least at idle. When it boots up it sounds like a jet

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I used to use a 1U server as a media PC, sitting on a piece of wood in my living room. It certainly added an interesting sense to movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sinestro posted:

I used to use a 1U server as a media PC, sitting on a piece of wood in my living room. It certainly added an interesting sense to movies.

"living room"