Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inferior Third Season posted:

I wish I was skilled enough that I could start multiball and then bang out five ramp shots and then a castle shot during multiball so reliably that I could consider it an "exploit".

:smith:

Ball control ball control ball control.

MM specific - if the ball is being ejected from the castle into the left orbit - NEVER just flip at it as it comes down. Either hold the left flipper and catch it. (Will work 99+% of the time. IRL - not so much.) Or just let to bounce off the left flipper to the right. As someone mentioned here a bit ago - dead passes are a Godsend. In TPA and real life. Knowing when to just let it go is one of the best ways to improve your game.

Use dead passes. A lot.
Cradle the ball whenever possible. Get the ball under control. (Unless you're in some timed mode or something, I guess.)
Practice post passing. It's trivially easy on TPA.

Dead pass - cradle - take your shot. Or if what you want to hit requires the other flipper - post pass it over, re-cradle, and then take your shot.

I made this a while back when Centaur came up. Found the shot to exploit, and (sadly) reduced the Table to : shoot captive ball -> hold flipper and cradle -> post pass -> repeat.

Once that captive ball drops the drop targets and can hit that red stand up - that's all you need to do. The first time you hit the red stand up - extra ball. Each hit after that - 100k points. Do that. Over and over and over. Centaur in a nutshell.
Screw up and drain? - go right back to it. As long as you collect that extra ball each time - you can conceivably go on forever.

Flailing away is fun as Hell, but if you're just going for score - slowing things down is pretty much the most important thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I wish I was skilled enough that I could start multiball and then bang out five ramp shots and then a castle shot during multiball so reliably that I could consider it an "exploit".

his mm high score is disgusting, along with most of his other scores

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
PA is out for GearVR as well, and its as awesome as it looks. Its surprisingly playable without a controller. I wish there were more than four tables, and the scale is super weird. I do like the virtual room you chill out in.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why the hell would you set a table without an extra ball limit

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe Zen should run a kickstarter to get the money to do a hostile takeover of Farsight. Then everything would be under one roof, a single platform for original tables and classic recreations, and a stable code-base with competent coders to handle it.

Zen would just fire the Farsight devs and then we'd get weak facsimiles of real tables that are about 25% wider and have floaty, weightless ball physics and a bunch of silly animated toys.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

TPA uses factory settings for all tables as far as I know, so the tables without limiters by default don't have them. It's a shame, but most people who play want an easier experience and just flail around anyway so it doesn't become an issue for them. They've been talking about a separate mode with harder settings/leaderboards for years now, but who knows if it ever actually comes out.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bewbies posted:

In real life, it wouldn't matter for 99 out of 100 players. I've still played lots of machines that have it limited to a single extra ball per game though.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Lol of course Farsight released the new stern game first on a platform that almost no one has or can get. That'll get those dollars rolling in! Maybe we'll get a review next year when someone can reliably purchase a rift.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I don't see it in Oculus Home for the Rift yet. It looks like it is only on GearVR right now. Hopefully the Steam release includes a SteamVR version.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 2, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That's a terrible trailer I found on face book. At no point does the camera move. Thanks for showing me all that sweet sweet VR action.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

BossTweed posted:

I don't see it in Oculus Home for the Rift yet. It looks like it is only on GearVR right now. Hopefully the Steam release includes a SteamVR version.

They said on Facebook they are Oculus-only, apparently Oculus "helped" them.

Actually, I'd be shocked if they didn't have to actually help them in addition to pay them for the exclusive, or we'd probably never see a VR version.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

pyrotek posted:

They said on Facebook they are Oculus-only, apparently Oculus "helped" them.

Actually, I'd be shocked if they didn't have to actually help them in addition to pay them for the exclusive, or we'd probably never see a VR version.

Oh really? That's a bummer. Hopefully Revive will keep working until then or Oculus changes their mind about letting Vive's use their storefront.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Apologies for being so creepy to everyone but I just added a bunch of people from the pinball goons steam group. Everyone that shows up on the main group page. If you want to compare Pinball Arcade scores please add me here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/electric_lady/

I only have Season 1 so far but that is going to change soon =)

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 2, 2016

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Electric Lady posted:

Apologies for being so creepy to everyone but I just added a bunch of people from the pinball goons steam group. Everyone that shows up on the main group page. If you want to compare Pinball Arcade scores please add me here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/electric_lady/

I only have Season 1 so far but that is going to change soon =)

That's not creepy, it's why we have a pingoons group. We had once discussed doing things like tournaments, but it requires organization, and goon pinball skills run the whole spectrum. So at the very least it's a place for us to have a pool of people to potentially socialize with. I'd like it if MORE people added each other.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

:same:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wait what the gently caress

The stern pinball arcade-alike is only for vr headset people?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they are releasing it on other platforms "this fall" lol

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gotta have the full year to finish that ui overhaul

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress it, burn it all down.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Oculus is the reason they didn't need that crowdfunding drive.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

Ugh, Harley Davidson really is the Triangle Wars of pinball.

"Oh no, I won an extra ball..."

"Aw poo poo, I added another multiball."

How can a game with so much going on be so boring?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
LIVE TO RIDE

RIDE TO LIVE

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
PLAY THE VIDEO MODE

PRETEND IT'S GUNS AND ROSES

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
CLOSE THE GAME

PLAY SOMETHING ELSE

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

LIVE TO RIDE

RIDE TO LIVE

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I wouldn't worry too much about the Oculus Stern Pinball Arcade app coming out there first, it looks like it was pushed right out the door well before its ready. At least when it comes in the fall ostensibly the slingshots on Star Trek should have rubber around them.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I've been trying on and off for a few years to beat that pyramid defense on Mars in Pinball FX. I don't think I'll ever be able to reliably hit the MARS targets, it just feels like pure luck when I hit them. At least I have medieval madness which will reward me with the wizard mode every now and then.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Joiny posted:

I've been trying on and off for a few years to beat that pyramid defense on Mars in Pinball FX. I don't think I'll ever be able to reliably hit the MARS targets, it just feels like pure luck when I hit them. At least I have medieval madness which will reward me with the wizard mode every now and then.

you can do it. I just did it a couple weeks ago myself. those MARS targets are a real bitch.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Crosspost from the VR thread:

I tried Stern Pinball Arcade for Gear VR today. It was pretty underwhelming. The tables look pretty decent, but the low resolution and lack of head tracking means you can't really make out any detail on the tables. I only played Frankenstein, and the table seemed a little too big and I really would have liked to have changed my viewpoint.

Positional head tracking seems like a must for pinball games. I don't understand why they didn't bring it out for Rift the same time as Gear VR.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

No head tracking? So it's basically just stereoscopic TPA with new carpet and a premium price tag.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
no head tracking in VR equals instant head ache for me.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Tasteful Bulge posted:

No head tracking? So it's basically just stereoscopic TPA with new carpet and a premium price tag.

Well, there is rotational but not positional head tracking, and the position of the machine just seems wrong. Imagine you are standing tall with your crotch right up against the base of the machine and you basically have the perspective they chose. Stereoscopy helps, but not enough to fix the other problems.

On the bright side, it ran at a solid 60FPS, which I was worried about on low-powered hardware compared to PC.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 3, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Just played a game of Big Lebowski. It's neat! I wouldn't go knocking down any doors to play it but the rug toy is really fun. I wish it were funnier but I'm not really a fan of the movie or of movie pinball machines that are just about unlocking clips you can watch on YouTube, but I'm sure diehard fans will get a kick and it'll definitely turn heads on location without pissing people off like Ghostbusters. The bowling game is really nifty, too.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

pyrotek posted:

Well, there is rotational but not positional head tracking, and the position of the machine just seems wrong. Imagine you are standing tall with your crotch right up against the base of the machine and you basically have the perspective they chose.

For a company called FarSight, they sure are bad about seeing issues like this coming up.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

pyrotek posted:

Crosspost from the VR thread:

I tried Stern Pinball Arcade for Gear VR today. It was pretty underwhelming. The tables look pretty decent, but the low resolution and lack of head tracking means you can't really make out any detail on the tables. I only played Frankenstein, and the table seemed a little too big and I really would have liked to have changed my viewpoint.

Positional head tracking seems like a must for pinball games. I don't understand why they didn't bring it out for Rift the same time as Gear VR.

Didn't someone say their physics engine is locked somehow to 60fps? If thats the case it makes perfect sense they just brought it to gearVR atm since that runs natively at 60fps and wouldn't require any overhaul of anything.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are there any bugs with with the TNG table's "Shuttle Simulation" dmd mission? You have to pick up score boxes and avoid walls, but the wall came up faster than seems possible to avoid.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are there any bugs with with the TNG table's "Shuttle Simulation" dmd mission? You have to pick up score boxes and avoid walls, but the wall came up faster than seems possible to avoid.
It's the same in real life. It's a fixed maze, though, so you can memorize your way through.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's when I crack my first nine-figure score in Pinball FX that I realize something I'm a little sad about : I'm now good enough that pinball is no longer a quick, throwaway game.

Well, a lot of the old Pinball Arcade tables still kick my rear end real quick, so there's that.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah the shuttle simulation sucks. Stick to the left or right unless there's a mine coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The TNG Pro guide has the optimal path for the shuttle maze, I think it's L-L-R-R-L-R-R-R-L to get the most points and pick up an artifact/extra ball at the end. One or two of em always come up faster than the others, it's just trial and error to get the timing right from there.