Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

What if the Brave Blade always proceed !Gaia?

What if it proc'd tempting tango? Or was Dragoon only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

What if the Brave Blade always proceed !Gaia?

I thought we were trying to make it better. :confused:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What if the Chicken Knife gave you the Chicken status from FF:T?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Samuel Clemens posted:

What if the Chicken Knife gave you the Chicken status from FF:T?

As long as it doesn't permanently drop below 5 then Krile won't leave.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Hmm. I regd for chaos750 risk. Because berserker is not in the 750 class, does that mean I can't get berserkers, or will I be assigned them as normal and then my remainders from 750?

Wondering if I should change that to no750,

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I'm actually thinking the only party that seriously could go Brave Blade over Chicken Knife and be arguably better off for it would be Knight/White/White/White, since White Mages can't equip Daggers. Otherwise you'd be better off going with the Knife so someone else would get a ridiculously high power weapon while the Knight could make do with Excalibur/Ragnarok. And specifically 3 White mages, Monks would let Knight use !Focus to get past the Chicken Knife's flee proc.

And do you want to slog through everything from Ghido's Cave on in regards to random encounters with a Knight and 3 White Mages? And then probably do stuff like farm up tons of holy staves to break in the Black Fork Tower and thus not have to flee the random encounters there (followed up by waiting 5 hours for Omniscient to run out of MP with wall rings in ARavingLoon tradition) just so you can get Holy and have random encounters NOT become an unending slog? And then probably have that happen in the Void anyways?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

the Orb of Zot posted:

(followed up by waiting 5 hours for Omniscient to run out of MP with wall rings in ARavingLoon tradition)

Berserk is white magic? :confused:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Oyster posted:

Hmm. I regd for chaos750 risk. Because berserker is not in the 750 class, does that mean I can't get berserkers, or will I be assigned them as normal and then my remainders from 750?

You'll get at least one berserker.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Oyster posted:

That's what I reg'd for. As I understand it, based on the donation dollars and #BERSERKERRISKers right now, you'll get at least one :black101:, a decent chance at two, a slim chance of three or four, and any non-:black101: jobs will be mage jobs.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Berserk is white magic? :confused:

Whoops, completely forgot.

Of course, that also would mean you'd have an easy Shinryu kill and thus Ragnarok anyways, so...

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Oyster posted:

Sticking with 750 should help ease some of the Zerker sting, as the 750 jobs have a lot of fun versatility and most of them will contribute nicely to a berserker wielding the Rune Axe. It's easier than a normal Chaos Risk in the same way 750 is easier than a normal run, which is in turn usually (but not always) easier than a no750.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

I decided to pledge an extra $500 for each of the runners that kills Omega + Shinryu in their runs. Hopefully they make me pay ^^

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of optional bosses, anyone ever get the required classes to take on the Bonus Dungeon in the Fiesta?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

InfernoBlade posted:

I decided to pledge an extra $500 for each of the runners that kills Omega + Shinryu in their runs. Hopefully they make me pay ^^

You mean for The Run? I got confused for a moment and thought you meant literally every player in the fiesta (you'd easily be pledging well over $100,000 in that case :shittypop:)

With a team of Blue/Mystic/Bard/Chemist it would be shameful if they didn't get the triple crown.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I didn't even need that much with my party last year. Monk and Dancer were busy being dead weight but all I needed was the Sap and Quick combo with Time Mage.

Quick is all sorts of insane in an engine not built to freeze.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

You mean for The Run? I got confused for a moment and thought you meant literally every player in the fiesta (you'd easily be pledging well over $100,000 in that case :shittypop:)

With a team of Blue/Mystic/Bard/Chemist it would be shameful if they didn't get the triple crown.

Yeah for the starting run with the 4 runners. And they wouldn't get the triple crown if they were trying to beat the game as fast as possible.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

InfernoBlade posted:

Yeah for the starting run with the 4 runners. And they wouldn't get the triple crown if they were trying to beat the game as fast as possible.

So first you spike The Run jobs to give them a fast playthrough to speed up the Fiesta, then you wave big charity donations to make them slow down and prep in their run to do the Triple Crown.

So evil :getin:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Rirse posted:

Speaking of optional bosses, anyone ever get the required classes to take on the Bonus Dungeon in the Fiesta?

So that would be Thief and Beastmaster at minimum and then 2 more slots, and one of those would have to be Chemist to even have a chance in hell.

Still would be ridiculously rough, mostly because the Sealed Temple is from what I've heard basically a ROM hack except official.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

the Orb of Zot posted:

So that would be Thief and Beastmaster at minimum and then 2 more slots, and one of those would have to be Chemist to even have a chance in hell.

Still would be ridiculously rough, mostly because the Sealed Temple is from what I've heard basically a ROM hack except official.

Nah, most of it can be chumped with dualcasting summoners and dualwield rapidfire spellblades, just like the rest of the game. It's only the bosses that reach ROM hack levels.

Also, you have Thief and thus !Flee.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Archenteron posted:

So first you spike The Run jobs to give them a fast playthrough to speed up the Fiesta, then you wave big charity donations to make them slow down and prep in their run to do the Triple Crown.

That was exactly the idea. :getin:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KataraniSword posted:

Nah, most of it can be chumped with dualcasting summoners and dualwield rapidfire spellblades, just like the rest of the game. It's only the bosses that reach ROM hack levels.

Also, you have Thief and thus !Flee.

The Sealed Temple bosses are pretty fun in my opinion due to them figuring that anybody doing them knows all the tricks and designed them accordingly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

The Sealed Temple bosses are pretty fun in my opinion due to them figuring that anybody doing them knows all the tricks and designed them accordingly.

In a standard fiesta run the best party you could pull is Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Chemist but even then you'll probably regret not being able to negate Neo Shinryu's Almagest with a shield. Archeodemon is the first big bullshit point because you need to either get reflect on him or have a black mage or summoner to even have a chance. And reflect results in him killing one of your guys every time you attack.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 6, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't do a berserker risk run last year but this time I did... wonder what Gilgabot will stick me with.

e: Also, :toot:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 6, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dis astranagant posted:

In a standard fiesta run the best party you could pull is Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Chemist but even then you'll probably regret not being able to negate Neo Shinryu's Almagest with a shield. Archeodemon is the first big bullshit point because you need to either get reflect on him or have a black mage or summoner to even have a chance. And reflect results in him killing one of your guys every time you attack.

Time Mage would be better for Hastega and Quick, and for pummeling Archeodemon with Meteor.

Chemists can mix up immunity to instant death, and specifically make allies Heavy. One mix does inflict Reflect but it also has protect, shell, and regen on it. I don't know if Shadow Flare would trigger his Death reaction, since I've never bothered.

Omega Mk. II is a problem but IIRC you don't actually need to beat him to get to Enuo.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I was one of the scrubs who didn't finish last year, so I'm training hard. My practice team is Knight/Red Mage/Ranger/Dancer. I don't think I'm doing too bad for my second time ever playing this game; things are certainly easier this time around now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I got to the Big Bridge last night and so far haven't been wiped out yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Omega Mk. II is a problem but IIRC you don't actually need to beat him to get to Enuo.

You could just solo him the same way you do the OG version; Mk. II is identical in most ways (just faster, more defense, and with a really cute React: !Rapid Fire script).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Time Mage would be better for Hastega and Quick, and for pummeling Archeodemon with Meteor.

Chemists can mix up immunity to instant death, and specifically make allies Heavy. One mix does inflict Reflect but it also has protect, shell, and regen on it. I don't know if Shadow Flare would trigger his Death reaction, since I've never bothered.

Doesn't meteor run the risk of his other counter script wiping you every time you try it?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
ONE MORE WEEK.

When pre-registration opened I wasn't quite ready, but now I am, and this week of pure, unadulterated hype will be good for me to prepare.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't meteor run the risk of his other counter script wiping you every time you try it?

code:
Counter(Var00=00 & HP Damage){
     {Curse,???,Nothing}
     }
As much as anything else, really.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

code:
Counter(Var00=00 & HP Damage){
     {Curse,???,Nothing}
     }
As much as anything else, really.

Yeah, but 4 times in a row rather than giving you time to mitigate that between casts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but 4 times in a row rather than giving you time to mitigate that between casts.

Actually it's twice.

For some reason Meteor only triggers reactions twice.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rapid Fire works the same way, so I'm assuming that's just a coding oddity.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Honestly I don't think the triple crown would add that much time to the run.

Omega: two Romeo's Ballad singers, Mystic Knight with the Chicken Knife and Thundaga Spellblade with !Drink, Bard with !Mix and Apollo's Harp - mix Dragon's Kiss to make Omega a Dragon then drop Dragon Powers to level 99 and rip 9999 power chords

Shinryu: any two Mixers, mix Bacchus' Cider and Dark Sigh, then mix the Bard up to 99 and rip 9999 power chords (Mystic Knight can use Enhancer with Flare Blade if you need)

Honestly both of them can be defanged with this team composition effortlessly, and the materials needed are pretty tame (maybe 20 dragon fangs all told, and some Samson's Might drinks?)

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I have a habit of never running in FF games, so i have yet to do it in my warmup run. I went to go try it and i couldn't figure out how to do it. in the GBA version isn't it hold L + R? Thats not working on VBA.

Also, at this point in the game (about to fight world 2 exdeath), i'll probably have to take the brave blade because I don't want to grind through 150 battles and run from them to get the chicken knife up to par.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lechtansi posted:

I have a habit of never running in FF games, so i have yet to do it in my warmup run. I went to go try it and i couldn't figure out how to do it. in the GBA version isn't it hold L + R? Thats not working on VBA.

Also, at this point in the game (about to fight world 2 exdeath), i'll probably have to take the brave blade because I don't want to grind through 150 battles and run from them to get the chicken knife up to par.
It is definitely hold L+R in the GBA version. I know this because the L button on my DS Lite is broken half the time unless I blow hard or scrub it with a toothbrush.

Also, if you didn't open the chest in the training hall with the Goblin inside it, you can use that to run away from encounters relatively quickly (and since you're emulating you could probably literally write an AHK script that hits A, then A again, then holds L+R for a while, then repeats)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It is definitely hold L+R in the GBA version. I know this because the L button on my DS Lite is broken half the time unless I blow hard or scrub it with a toothbrush.

Also, if you didn't open the chest in the training hall with the Goblin inside it, you can use that to run away from encounters relatively quickly (and since you're emulating you could probably literally write an AHK script that hits A, then A again, then holds L+R for a while, then repeats)

I've done this in the pyramid with one of the trapped chests on VBA, and it involved simply setting up "A" on auto-fire and putting a rubber band around the L&R buttons on the controller. Setting up scripts sounds way more complicated.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Schwartzcough posted:

I've done this in the pyramid with one of the trapped chests on VBA, and it involved simply setting up "A" on auto-fire and putting a rubber band around the L&R buttons on the controller. Setting up scripts sounds way more complicated.
Well, that works too :shobon:

I just default to writing an AHK script so now I have several lying around that just send button presses with delays, so any new one is a copy/paste. It's a time investment thing!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So has anyone had a class that they've never gotten in a Fiesta?

In all my runs, Red Mage is the only class I've never had. I did have Chemist in one run, but I Job Faired for it, so that's technically two classes I've never been assigned.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Twelve by Pies posted:

In all my runs, Red Mage is the only class I've never had. I did have Chemist in one run, but I Job Faired for it, so that's technically two classes I've never been assigned.

I've never been dealt Ranger, but I job faired into it last year. I also job faired into Monk for the same reason but then got it again in a later No750 run, so Ranger's the only one I haven't gotten through a roll of the dice in 10 total runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Lucky.

Red Mage is the Geomancer of the Water Crystal. Nobody wants Red Mage, and people who think they do really just want Dualcast instead.

Nope, looking at your old LP, the only boss you need to kill to unlock the path to Enuo is Archaeodemon. I mean, Guardian is in the way too, but that's not Mk II or Neo.

Kyrosiris posted:

You could just solo him the same way you do the OG version; Mk. II is identical in most ways (just faster, more defense, and with a really cute React: !Rapid Fire script).

I'm not sure what options a Thief/Beast/???/Chemist team has. Turtle Soup, maybe? I guess? I'm pretty sure both of them can still be Kiss of Blessing'd just fine.

• Locked thread