Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey if you fellows want to watch some modern boxing, there's a really good fight on HBO tonight. If you don't have HBO there's also 2 fights on ESPN, of above average quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

case in point:

Is this a live feed?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Windows 98 posted:

I have watched an Ali documentary and therefore I am an expert on anything Ali related. Care about my opinions. If you care hard enough it will bring him back from the dead.

it's a great doc, mind you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Is this a live feed?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey if you fellows want to watch some modern boxing, there's a really good fight on HBO tonight. If you don't have HBO there's also 2 fights on ESPN, of above average quality.

What if I dont have espn either?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Is this a live feed?

No thats a feed of the dead.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

he dead

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What if I dont have espn either?

Find a stream or something.

Really good fight on hbo just started

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

E: realistically I think it was a terrible style matchup for foreman and he would lose most versions of that fight, but he could have fought smarter.

I wonder what the fight would have been like if you could put old George Foreman's brain in a young George Foreman's body. At least he would have paced himself. Young Foreman hadn't had to fight to a decision in over 20 bouts, and most of his KOs came really early. I don't think he had the discipline to pace himself when his go-to of "fight smart until you land power, then they fall over" didn't work, even if he knew intellectually that it would be the smartest thing to do, and that's not even accounting for any differences in how Ali would have fought if Foreman had done things differently.

Isn't theory boxing fun? Here's a video of when Ali met the Beatles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVbeBVKu2w

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 5, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The most interesting thing about Foreman's style to me has always been his heavy use of pushes. He seriously used them as much as modern boxers clinch. He'd shove his opponents until they were off balance and then land a monster punch. It's such a weird style compared to just about every other fighter I've seen.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Ali bomaye

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
thanks obama t:mad:

obamacare does it again!!!

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm glad he's dead because you all seem to be having a gay old time sucking his dead dick.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I was unaware the Muhammad Ali was still alive so I am not sure how too feel about him possibly dying?

I ain't gonna lie I thought he was already dead.

Rip Ali you were pretty cool

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Momma Talib was good at hitting things with his hands.
MMA has ruined boxing and cannot be forgiven

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm glad he's dead because you all seem to be having a gay old time sucking his dead dick.

Patton Oswalt murdered his untalented wife using his untalented hands

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nonsense posted:

Patton Oswalt murdered his untalented wife using his untalented hands

I'm betting on it being from combining ambien with white wine and not using her cpap machine.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Muttonchips posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Ka40KovVo
He was a piece of poo poo who supported terrorists and segregation like Malcolm X. Great boxer, lovely human being. He was also a draft dodger.

When he puts it that way, I really can't blame him. It's not like atheism was a big thing back then.

Who gives a gently caress about draft dodging?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Dregs posted:

When he puts it that way, I really can't blame him. It's not like atheism was a big thing back then.

Who gives a gently caress about draft dodging?

He's being cheeky, of course, but his whole point was akin to 'black is beautiful' at the time. Racial pride doesn't seem to gel with liberal monoculture these days (which would assume to unify us through consumer ritual no matter what color or gender we are, 100% agreeable corporate citizens exercising abstract consumer choice).

I don't believe in biological racial disparity, but the acknowledgement of race as a cultural phenomenon is important in a critical sense, especially since seemingly 'colorblind' economic policies affect black communities now in a far more insidious manner than Jim Crow laws ever managed.

And, simply put, Ali had every right at the time to be incensed and to speak candidly about the experience of living as a black man in a white culture. He was never known for politically correct schmoozing, but rather pushing people's buttons.

Also, associating him with Malcolm X would be a positive thing in my book, though they parted ways ideologically, especially near the end of Malcolm's life when he was moving into theorizing about general class disparity regardless of race. Both X and MLK were killed right about the time they started preaching unification of poor whites and blacks.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
so what exactly did Ali do apart from being a great boxer and avoiding conscription

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
and accepting allah I guess

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

and being a larger than life counterculture icon, civil rights activist and practitioner of black pride/civil disobedience

also more insightful and entertaining than you or anyone you know

and he did handcuffed lightning way before any videogame character

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
He also owned a bunch of white folks who thought he was arrogant and rude. There are several videos making the Facebook rounds right now of him telling off white people and exerting his blackness succinctly.

I'll try to post them when I'm home

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Has Fox News blamed his death on Obamacare yet?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Muttonchips posted:

He was a piece of poo poo who supported terrorists and segregation like Malcolm X. Great boxer, lovely human being. He was also a draft dodger.

only retards served in vietnam

everybody normal was drafted

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Muttonchips posted:

he was an intelligent man aware of the racism that pervades society and refused to go serve in a lovely war.

Lol at using draft dodger as a pejorative in 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I find it funny how people really think Malcolm X was like Magneto. loving comic books.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I find it funny how people really think Malcolm X was like Magneto. loving comic books.

Magneto never gets hit by shotguns.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Toadvine posted:

he was an intelligent man aware of the racism that pervades society

By participating in it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

It would be better without all of the text.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Super Ninja Fish posted:

This is how I feel about like 95% of political/topical cartoons. Like poo poo that needs 0 text other than 'brain' and 'trauma' on death's gloves.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Super Ninja Fish posted:

i'm a huge prick

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Magneto never gets hit by shotguns.

Ali never destroyed Manhattan

symbolic posted:

i'm a huge prick

Somebody was bound to knock him down

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Ali never destroyed Manhattan

oh (1974)

didn't (1963)

he? (1970)

VVVVVVVVVV twice

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 7, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh (1974)

didn't (1963)

he? (1970)

He beat Philly, the other two I don't care about

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Why is Erdogan going to his funeral? And slick willy?

The same people paying him lip (lol) service today would be the ones disparaging him when he was 20.

I met him a few times when I was a kid. Cool dude.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
If you decided to fight in a war you didnt have to, you are a loving moron

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kudaros posted:

Why is Erdogan going to his funeral?

A lot of Muslims worldwide are under the impression Ali was a regular Sunni and not a former race cultist turned Sufi.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

A lot of Muslims worldwide are under the impression Ali was a regular Sunni and not a former race cultist turned Sufi.

Ali was a regular sunni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Ali was a regular sunni.

He was in the Nation of Islam, then he was a Sunni for a bit, and he died a Sufi mystic who loved everybody.

• Locked thread