Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:laffo: ok nm then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The 1080 has a 2.1ghz hard limit due to the poor big pascal yields. They know they wont be able to clock them as high and dont want the lovely 1080 to show up 1080ti and titan P

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
2.84GHz lmao at those temps

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Looks Slow. :v:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
another review for the STRIX 1080

OC3D posted:

Our primary desire has always been to dispel the myth of overclocking as something that is both a black art and dangerous. In recent years manufacturers have been following this path of opening overclocking to the masses. With the last generation of nVidia GPUs and their GPU Boost 2.0 we saw drastically diminishing returns from our overclocking efforts, such was the excellence of nVidias driver solution. GPU Boost 3.0 improves the already excellent driver-based overclocking until it's nearly indistinguishable from our own. Rather than spend days tweaking and testing to only achieve an additional 50MHz, and force you to take up more of your busy lives reading carbon-copy results, we're solely utilising the automatic overclocking for the foreseeable future.

In case you were in any doubt of the wisdom of this course of action, look at the enormous numbers available above when you get your hands dirty overclocking the card manually. 2.1GHz Core clock at a mere 70°C. If that doesn't have you reaching for your wallet then nothing will. What is more surprising though is the image below. The GPUBoost3 actually boosts the card to 2050MHz without having to touch a thing. Yes thats correct, manual overclocking only got us an extra 60MHz, this is great news for some and will disappoint others.

(...)

It's not merely the 1080 performance that impresses though. Yes it might still be the resolution of choice for the majority of gamers but this is a high-end card aimed at the high-end market with all their 4K screens and VR capabilities. It's in those scenarios where the ASUS Strix really shines, as it's probably the first card to make 4K gameplay a serious possibility on a single-GPU. Sure it's not going to give you the smoothness of a lower resolution, but neither is it a slideshow any more. Combine high quality power components with a cooler capable of keeping temperatures low and you have a recipe for some extraordinary boost clock speeds and the results that follow such high ratings. Any latest nVidia GPU is bound to make your eyes pop, but when it's the latest nVidia GPU running at a barely believable 2.1GHz then it's not a surprise to see even the most strenuous titles bending before its will.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As a person who water-cooled his CPU but can't be bothered to overclock the Strix is ending up being the perfect card for me.

E: vvv :effort:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 7, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You watercooled your cpu but haven't overclocked it? It's pretty easy if you aren't being greedy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Since my 980Ti Strix pushes to 1404Mhz out of the box (with 1500Mhz being nearly the top limit of it and all other 980Ti's) Asus really does like to OC out of the Box to a pretty good level it seems.

Waiting on the 1080Ti Strix for sure.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

An article about that overclocked Galax card at computex:

quote:

In a video from Computex 2016 published this weekend, Nordic Hardware's Anton Karmehed spoke to overclocker Mad Tse about Nvidia's recent GeForce GTX 1080 and its overclockability. Overall the new flagship GeForce card was judged to be good at overclocking using either air, or going 'extreme' using LN2.

Mad Tse said regular GTX 1080 cards and special edition cards like the Galax GTX 1080 HOF (Hall of Fame) can achieve up to 2.2GHz core clock speeds using air cooling. However, using LN2 cooling on the HOF speeds of between 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz have been attainable so far.

Concerning the standard GeForce GTX 1080's single 8-pin power connector Mad Tse thinks that it isn't a limiting factor when attempting to OC using air cooling. Rather the HOF makes it easier to push the GPU clock/voltage with its digital rather than analogue controls, said the OC expert. Mad Tse speculates that the Nvidia Founders Edition cards might be OC limited by the BIOS or Nvidia's driver software.

During his extreme overclocking efforts at Computex, Tse achieved 2.5GHz+ core speeds, at 1.38V, and a memory clock 5500MHz. He ran the 3DMark FireStrike Extreme benchmark without issues to verify the achievement.

Looking forward, Tse went on to predict achieving GeForce GTX 1080 OC speeds of between 2.8GHz and 3GHz as it "handles heat very well".
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/93512-galax-geforce-gtx-1080-hof-hits-22ghz-air-25ghz-ln2/

It looks like he used 1.38v to get to 2.5ghz. Not sure what he used for the 2.2 on air. And he did it with a single 8 pin power connector.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

An article about that overclocked Galax card at computex:

It looks like he used 1.38v to get to 2.5ghz. Not sure what he used for the 2.2 on air. And he did it with a single 8 pin power connector.

How did these other people get 2.85

e: oh I didn't see -102 hah. LN2?

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 7, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Waiting on the 1080Ti Strix for sure.

:pusheen:

Has the 1080Ti been announced yet? It seems like ridiculously overkill right now but could help 4K gaming take off.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You watercooled your cpu but haven't overclocked it? It's pretty easy if you aren't being greedy.
Maybe there should be a thread or effort post about it. I still can't make heads or tails of it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Has the 1080Ti been announced yet? It seems like ridiculously overkill right now but could help 4K gaming take off.

Ti's are almost always reactionary releases almost a year into the original release.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ufarn posted:

Maybe there should be a thread or effort post about it. I still can't make heads or tails of it.

Go into your UEFI (aka your BIOs that lets you use a mouse), bump the CPU multiplier up to whatever everyone is generally saying is "safe" or "guaranteed." Save and exit. There, you did it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Mainly for the VR performance and yea if I either want a 4K screen, or play at scaled up resolutions above the 1440P I currently run. I feel I'm good with my 980Ti currently, but the temptation for a 1080 is still there. Though I'd like to see the VR improvement numbers for all the new VR rendering tricks they say they added to the 10Xx series.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I saw an article that they are currently testing GP102's but not sure where and it certainly didn't have a timeframe. Not Now (tm)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Go into your UEFI (aka your BIOs that lets you use a mouse), bump the CPU multiplier up to whatever everyone is generally saying is "safe" or "guaranteed." Save and exit. There, you did it.
Yeah, that's when it starts to get unwieldy, because it starts at multiplier, then voltage, and then you should preferably have the same frequency as your RAM - and then there's the benchmarking on top. I'm pretty content with my CPU surviving for five years, which is more that can be said for my GPU.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ufarn posted:

Yeah, that's when it starts to get unwieldy, because it starts at multiplier, then voltage, and then you should preferably have the same frequency as your RAM - and then there's the benchmarking on top. I'm pretty content with my CPU surviving for five years, which is more that can be said for my GPU.

Youre thinking of old school baseclock overclocking, multipliers dont interfere with memory speed, bus speed, all that poo poo.

Not to belittle CPU overclocking as trivial because it is still the "real deal" and you can certainly damage it or reduce its lifespan (as opposed to GPU overclocking, which is outright bombproof and basically encouraged), but we've come a long way from the days when overclocking was full of uncertainty. It is easy now, unless you want that extra 100-200 mhz at the very end before you need to actually get creative. Depends on the CPU itself of course, but it is easy and relatively safe. The one thing that sucks is stability testing because it takes up time, but you can avoid quite a bit of that by keeping to moderate values.

Although I'm not a fan of "plug in this multiplier cause everybody uses it" its valid for very moderate OC's as long as you don't touch the voltage much, go wild.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea CPU overclocking got a lot easier and harder at the same time.

Once I got the math down for the Ram/FSB OC for X48, the X58 and i Series arrived to change that, then again with all the K series chips making it even more brain dead easy to just throw it up to 4Ghz even on stock air for the most part.

However a lot of the other inner options starts to get confusing since unless you dig hard/long enough, finding out what each of the options say an ASUS board does is a bit of a crapshoot.

I am big on making sure all the C States are enabled after you get your OC target found and tuning to allow the system to be stable at all ranges with voltage offsets. It takes a lot of time and testing (and I feel I still have a little work to do myself) but once you do, it makes your system run a lot cooler and closer to stock, just with usually an immensely larger turbo range.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Phlegmish posted:

Far from overkill, the 1080 can't even do 1440/144 for the most part, and even the Titan won't. That is where you really want to go. IMO it's insane to keep pushing resolutions higher and push the boundaries of being able to discern individual pixels without pushing framerates first. There isn't really a benefit to pushing the limits of individually perceptible pixels in motion when objects are jumping dozens of pixels per frame anyway.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 7, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

K8.0 posted:

Far from overkill, the 1080 can't even do 1440/144 for the most part, and even the Titan won't. That is where you really want to go. IMO it's insane to keep pushing resolutions higher and push the boundaries of being able to discern individual pixels without pushing framerates first. There isn't really a benefit to pushing the limits of individually perceptible pixels in motion when objects are jumping dozens of pixels per frame anyway.

This is why I wish they would make a 1920x1080, IPS, Gsync, 144Hz monitor, I could push those frame rates with a 1070 but the only monitors that come close to that are TN. :barf:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Come on where are the non-founder GTX 1070 pre-order options at. Looking you especially, EVGA. :saddowns:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Come on where are the non-founder GTX 1070 pre-order options at. Looking you especially, EVGA. :saddowns:

3rd party GTX 1080's are supposed to hit this week so I assume it's going to be about a few more weeks until the same is said of 1070's

Unfortunately :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The demand for 1070s will be so much higher than for 1080s it won't even be funny. They'll be out of stock for six months and sell as quickly as retailers can stock them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bleh Maestro posted:

3rd party GTX 1080's are supposed to hit this week so I assume it's going to be about a few more weeks until the same is said of 1070's

Unfortunately :(

I want to build my PC before the free Win10 upgrade timeframe ends but yeah I'm worried that if I don't get lucky and snag a non-FE 1070 as soon as they're available I'm not getting one until August if I'm lucky.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to build my PC before the free Win10 upgrade timeframe ends but yeah I'm worried that if I don't get lucky and snag a non-FE 1070 as soon as they're available I'm not getting one until August if I'm lucky.

You should just use integrated graphics while you wait. You'll have a bunch of setup poo poo to get done before you can game so might as well get that out of the way while not wasting sweet precious potential gaming time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do it now then. Graphics isn't a part of the Windows 10 licensing formula so you can always upgrade later.

Besides, when the 1080 Ti releases the 1070 will probably get a price cut anyway.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any way to do black frame insertion from drivers or some hack? It would be kind of cool for reducing sample and hold blur from games that force you to run at 60fps, like Dark Souls or emulators. I think the Eizo display does it, but was wondering if they haven't done this in software somewhere yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Besides, when the 1080 Ti releases the 1070 will probably get a price cut anyway.

Unless AMD figures out a way to juice up Big Polaris (past peeks at what 480X is capable of), this is doubtful. The only price cut the 1070 will likely get in the next year is when stock normalizes enough that they sell for MSRP minus any promo coupons people are able to find and/or when you're able to start picking them up via Jet.com.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Reviewers reporting Mirror's Edge stuttering like hell issues with Pascal cards, whereas Maxwell are fine. Further details to come.

drat, I was going to finally upgrade to a 1070 specifically for that game. :( Is it one of those things that can be patched?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

drat, I was going to finally upgrade to a 1070 specifically for that game. :( Is it one of those things that can be patched?

The 368.39 driver they just put out today is supposedly tuned for ME:C. No news on whether it fixes the issue.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Evil Fluffy posted:

June 10th for SC s according to their tweet iirc

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do it now then. Graphics isn't a part of the Windows 10 licensing formula so you can always upgrade later.

I doubt the 1080 Ti will cause a price drop nearly worth the near year wait. It'll cause a drop in the 1080's price, but not the 1070 if last generation is any indication.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
The only thing that will drop the 1070s price right now is a RX 490 and based on what we've seen there's a chance that wont happen until at least October/Vega

AMD could come out swinging at E3 and show one off based on Polaris but lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Wait, I thought the 1080 and even the 1070 killed it on 1440p, and it's only 4K where the 1080 starts running into trouble on the highest settings? Did I misinterpret the benchmarks?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
He's talking about 1440p at 144fps. If you don't have a 144hz monitor than it's a great card for 1440p.

These are all average FPS, so realize minimum fps can dip below what some would deem acceptable levels on a 144hz monitor.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/8.html

Edit: This is a much better review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72619-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-10.html

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 8, 2016

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm looking at picking up a 1070 FE (because I plan to rebuild the rest of the PC in a tiny case) as soon as I can. I know the supply chain is different, as is demand, but how did the 1080 release work out in practice? Was it a case of being on a retailer's site at midnight ready to order? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference - I think Overclockers and Scan were the two main places with a supply?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Froist posted:

I'm looking at picking up a 1070 FE (because I plan to rebuild the rest of the PC in a tiny case) as soon as I can. I know the supply chain is different, as is demand, but how did the 1080 release work out in practice? Was it a case of being on a retailer's site at midnight ready to order? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference - I think Overclockers and Scan were the two main places with a supply?

Ebuyer still have 1080 FEs in stock this morning when I looked.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Did we sperg over the latest Adored video yet?

(Why is it that his numbers smack of conspiracy-theory level leaps of logic, but somehow always wind up sounding, at minimum, not unreasonable?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Blackfyre posted:

Ebuyer still have 1080 FEs in stock this morning when I looked.

Huh, I presumed they were sold out everywhere but just looked and you're right. Good to know, thanks!