Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
In today's Archie news... Marguerite Bennett is rebooting Josie and the Pussycats. http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/08/josie-pussycats-comic-reboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So, I like to read Hark! A Vagrant every now and then, and one of the issues had a link to this article, about Cyborg from DC comics. It opens with this:

I thought Cyborg was a cool character with neat abilities and a tragic and engaging backstory, whose growing popularity finally landed him a founding spot in the new Justice League, and even inclusion in the latest big movie. I always liked Cyborg and I especially liked him getting brought to the forefront in recent DC projects. I kinda think this article is projecting a whole bunch of crazy poo poo about castrations and "the white gaze" and now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like Cyborg anymore. I guess he's not everyone's cup of tea, but at one point this article objects that Cyborg was an athlete in high school, because black people's bodies have to be put to put to some sort of use? But Cyborg's dad is black and a genius scientist who brings his son back to life as a robot man and I thought him being an athlete was meant to further illustrate the divide between father and son. I dunno. What do you guys think about Cyborg?

Also wow, the recolors to those old comics suck rear end, Killing Joke looks way better in its original form.

I read the article and it was pretty much some guy coming to a conclusion before doing any research, and then shoehorning everything he did find into that conclusion. In other words it was written without much behind it.
That being said, I loved Cyborg in the original Teen Titans and think it would have been a good idea for him to be in the Justice League, just like everyone else in the Titans. In a perfect world the Titans would have "graduated" to the Justice League and the Justice League would have moved on to the Justice Society.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite Cyborg moment is that animated gif of him beating a tub of meat from one of those Teen Titans shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OCH MOY-RAH.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Cyborg from the cartoons is a great, fun character, and if he doesn't fit tonally in today's DC comics, well, that pretty much tells you what's wrong with today's DC comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I love how the first time we learn Wolverine's real name is when the colony of leprechauns who live in Banshee's ancestral castle use it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ferrule posted:

That's how we got a green hulk, dingus.
The second worst colour of Hulk.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm up to The Slavers in Garth Ennis' Punisher run.

First off I fully get now what Ennis is one of the best writers today. Hell these books made me a fan. That said, both books left me feeling this cold, emptiness inside and...not a lot of stuff can do that to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BigRed0427 posted:

First off I fully get now what Ennis is one of the best writers today. Hell these books made me a fan. That said, both books left me feeling this cold, emptiness inside and...not a lot of stuff can do that to me.

If that's how you feel and you haven't started Slavers yet I suggest you hold off on reading it and go play with your pets and enjoy some sunshine or watch a comedy or do something happy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ennis really has written some amazing things. I just wish he was

1) More consistent.

2) Less obsessed with his dumb gross jokes.

3) Not frequently working with Steve Dillon.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Madkal posted:

If that's how you feel and you haven't started Slavers yet I suggest you hold off on reading it and go play with your pets and enjoy some sunshine or watch a comedy or do something happy.

No I read Slavers...just...drat...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ennis has three stories he is good at:

1) Bizarre gross-out humor

2) War stories

3) Bizarre gross-out war stories

You can decide which one his Punisher run is.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

3) Not frequently working with Steve Dillon.

You know, Sylvester Stallone MIGHT make a good Punisher.

Edit: Anyway, Does Preacher still hold up?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Preacher will always be exactly as cool as you remember it, but slightly less.

There's too many great moments in it though. Ennis also wrote some damned good Constantine, arguably the best one (certainly the one they based that dreadful movie off of). The short story with Constantine and the dying Irishman is really great.

Ennis also wrote a really good Superman comic IIRC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

You know, Sylvester Stallone MIGHT make a good Punisher.

Mostly, yeah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have...mixed feelings about Ennis. I really like Crossed (volume 1), but I dunno if I actually like like it or if I like Ennis going "gently caress you Robert Kirkman, you want to do a GRITTY AND REAL post-apocalyptic comic? I'll loving show you a post-apocalyptic comic."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Crossed just felt... gross. I loved Preacher so, so, so, so much as a kid, but I'm afraid to re-read it now having read a whole lot of other Ennis stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The Slavers is the best arc in MAX imo, but you're still a ways off from arguably the most important arc, so don't give up just yet!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jordan7hm posted:

Crossed just felt... gross.

I think that's why I liked it. That moment where as they're being raped/disemboweled and their daughter is torn apart by cannibals behind them where the wife tells the husband in issue 1 how much of a worthless stupid piece of poo poo he is, as they're dying, and the font of the text reveals that it's her sincere opinion over having Crossed...it's affecting. Like, I dunno if it's good, and it's probably not, but there's something sincerely black and dark and very empty about the sort of "noble sacrifice" death that post-apoc comics like to trade in, where a character refuses to abandon their spouse and they end up both dying, that Ennis shuts down very flatly with that sequence. That "No, that's idiotic, not beatific" counterpoint that feels more honest than...well, really anything about TWD. Like, if you're gonna do a post-apocalypse, do a loving post-apocalypse over Kirkman's carnival funhouse.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

site posted:

The Slavers is the best arc in MAX imo, but you're still a ways off from arguably the most important arc, so don't give up just yet!

I am really enjoying the run overall. Slavers was great, Up is down and Black is white is amazing (How does the Punisher act when you actively piss him off?) and Kitchen Irish is a good crime story. But it is the kind of story where the villains are more interesting than the hero. THe only arc that made me scratch my head was Mother Russia. The first arc of the run is The Punisher saying no to the Government about doing wet work for them, but he will do THIS mission because Nick Fury asked him and there is a little girl's life on the line? It felt like they had an idea for a story line but then realized they wrote themselves into a corner.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I refuse to believe anyone likes Crossed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigRed0427 posted:

Carving up a man's head so it resembles a gigantic pecker will never not make me smile.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BigRed0427 posted:

I am really enjoying the run overall. Slavers was great, Up is down and Black is white is amazing (How does the Punisher act when you actively piss him off?) and Kitchen Irish is a good crime story. But it is the kind of story where the villains are more interesting than the hero. THe only arc that made me scratch my head was Mother Russia. The first arc of the run is The Punisher saying no to the Government about doing wet work for them, but he will do THIS mission because Nick Fury asked him and there is a little girl's life on the line? It felt like they had an idea for a story line but then realized they wrote themselves into a corner.

I actually like Mother Russia because of its forced confrontation with a child and what that means to Frank and how it's a chink in his compartmentalization armor.

And seriously, who turns down Nick Fury?!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

site posted:

And seriously, who turns down Nick Fury?!

A soon to be dead man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BigRed0427 posted:

After you finish Ennis' Punisher, you should read his Hitman run.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does anyone here listen to comic book podcasts? I'm trying to find one that's basically just a week in review where the participants run down the major releases and talk about if they liked them or not. So far, War Rocket Ajax is the only one I've found that fits that form and has hosts that aren't completely loving intolerable to listen to, and since they only review three comics a week and they're almost always all DC since Chris Sims works for Marvel now it's not really doing it for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Toxxupation posted:

since Chris Sims works for Marvel now

Ah, so that's why ask chris is pretty much DOA. That's kinda funny since all he ever did was talk about DC books.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

site posted:

Ah, so that's why ask chris is pretty much DOA. That's kinda funny since all he ever did was talk about DC books.

Ask Chris is still going really strong. But yeah, it switched to exclusively DC since X-Men '92...around this time last year or so, for obvious reasons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is putting out a comic about Sherlock Holmes' brother. That sentence wasn't randomly generated.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/mycroft-holmes-the-apocalypse-handbook-1-titan-comics-2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've started reading Spawn since I had the toys when I was a kid and I remember the HBO show. It's not as dark as I thought it would be. Very wordy though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You're making a horrible mistake.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Does anyone here listen to comic book podcasts? I'm trying to find one that's basically just a week in review where the participants run down the major releases and talk about if they liked them or not. So far, War Rocket Ajax is the only one I've found that fits that form and has hosts that aren't completely loving intolerable to listen to, and since they only review three comics a week and they're almost always all DC since Chris Sims works for Marvel now it's not really doing it for me.

War Rocket Ajax is the only one I've found that's both good and still running.

Funnybook Babylon and 4th Letter both had good podcasts, but they're both dead.

Oh and Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is good, but it's obviously very focused and rarely discusses current stuff.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like what I've heard of I Read Comic Books. They start with a "what I read" and then do a topic discussion.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I remember kinda digging the Spawn: Godslayer series that got canceled after 8 issues. Cool world/monster design

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy the Fantasticast.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Endless Mike posted:

Oh and Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is good, but it's obviously very focused and rarely discusses current stuff.

Endless Mike posted:

Jay and Miles also have a YouTube review thing but they only review current x-books.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaunab posted:

I've started reading Spawn since I had the toys when I was a kid and I remember the HBO show. It's not as dark as I thought it would be. Very wordy though.
I'm genuinely curious how many issues you can get through before you drop the series. I dropped somewhere in the 30s.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Carving up a man's head so it resembles a gigantic pecker will never not make me smile.

Yes, it holds up rather well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is putting out a comic about Sherlock Holmes' brother. That sentence wasn't randomly generated.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/mycroft-holmes-the-apocalypse-handbook-1-titan-comics-2016

Not that shocking, considering it's based on the prose novel KAJ wrote about Mycroft a little while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Not what you're looking fo at allr, but anyone looking for a new comic book podcast to listen to should check out Journey Into Misery.

A comic book nerd explains complicated comics, characters, and concepts to his perpetually confused girlfriend. It's fun hearing the reactions of someone who's never been big into comics when they're introduced to all the crazy poo poo in Marvel and DC that most of us don't think twice about anymore.

The (incredibly long) Morrison's Batman episode and the Final Crisis episode are my favorites. They're such batshit insane stories, and the host does a really good job of explaining them.

• Locked thread