Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

hopeandjoy posted:

This is correct. In addition, the word often translated as "drat" can be anywhere from "rats" to "gently caress" depending on the character, the context, and the translator. Japanese doesn't really have what English speakers think of swear words.

I think I remember reading in one of orenronen's Dangan Ronpa LPs that the harshest equivalent to something like "rear end in a top hat" or "motherfucker" in Japanese is just a very impolite/rude variation of the pronoun "you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why would anyone do this?

Because they're Japanese? :shrug:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

It's a fantastic concept marred by two things: One, every FF5 romhack ever is based on the Japanese Super Famicom version, which means that almost all of them are in moonrunes and thus incomprehensible if you don't have a FAQ like, right there.

Two, the FF5 Ancient Cave isn't nearly as flexible as the original Lufia 2 one. It turns out that there's very definitely a specific winning "kit" that you need to have, or else you just fail miserably.

Ancient Cave has a translation, at least. Still has zero replay value once you figure out how to win, though.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Would it be :filez: if I linked the translated FFVAC rom and save file for anyone interested?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Legin Noslen posted:

Would it be :filez: if I linked the translated FFVAC rom and save file for anyone interested?
Not for the save file, but definitely for the rom itself. It's best instead to link the translation patch and the relevant tools with which to patch it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was under the impression any SNES-era roms were fine to link, did that change a while ago or something

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

NGDBSS posted:

Not for the save file, but definitely for the rom itself. It's best instead to link the translation patch and the relevant tools with which to patch it.

Unfortunately I've lost the links to those years ago.
Also the save file is for convenience, since it is saved right next to the 1-desert tile that is left after the Ronka Ruins rise and that is where you trigger the little staging area for the Ancient Cave.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm unsure what I want to do the fiesta on. If I go handheld I can do sessions during my weekly lunch break but kinda suffer without good turbo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dis astranagant posted:

Ancient Cave has a translation, at least. Still has zero replay value once you figure out how to win, though.

Does FF5r have a translation? I'm not usually one for difficulty hacks, but I was intrigued by what RK showed on stream a few years back.

Golden Goat posted:

I'm unsure what I want to do the fiesta on. If I go handheld I can do sessions during my weekly lunch break but kinda suffer without good turbo.

Ultimately it's a wash; the amount of time you'd save without a frameskip/fast forward is... just about as long as your weekly lunch break, I figure. Pick based on which version you like the best.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's less about saving time by playing it on break and just playing it on the go.

...hrmm I wonder if I could run it on my work mac.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

It's less about saving time by playing it on break and just playing it on the go.

...hrmm I wonder if I could run it on my work mac.

absolutely. not higan/bsnes maybe but there are plenty of emulators out there with the apt speed hacks to play the game at native framerate on a snes or gba emu on a dinosaur machine

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

Does FF5r have a translation? I'm not usually one for difficulty hacks, but I was intrigued by what RK showed on stream a few years back.

Not that I'm aware of, which is a pity. I'd love to play it.

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!
Chipping in 5 more berzerker seeds for the tree. Surely a chaos berzerker risk run will treat me better than my final chaos run of the previous fiesta: Geomancer, Dancer, Dancer, Dancer. That was... not fun. I can still remember grinding not only for angel rings, but also elixirs to get past Sol Cannon. And grinding for reflect rings. And thief knife grinding in the phoenix tower for multiple copies of dancer equipment. I don't remember if there was additional grinding to survive Almagests, but probably.

Incidentally, I only recently learned that Almagest is the name of an ancient text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almagest . I had always assumed it was a poorly translated romanization of "all majesty", or something like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

I was under the impression any SNES-era roms were fine to link, did that change a while ago or something

They're all still under copyright (and will be forevermore judging from how copyright law is working these days). And companies are occasionally reselling their old games in official ROM+emulator+custom launcher packages, so it's not even like the old games aren't still being commercialized.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tobacco Grower posted:

Incidentally, I only recently learned that Almagest is the name of an ancient text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almagest . I had always assumed it was a poorly translated romanization of "all majesty", or something like that.

Well...

That Very Wikipedia Link posted:

The treatise was later titled Hē Megalē Syntaxis (Ἡ Μεγάλη Σύνταξις, "The Great Treatise"; Latin: Magna Syntaxis), and the superlative form of this (Ancient Greek: μεγίστη, megiste, "greatest") lies behind the Arabic name al-majisṭī (المجسطي), from which the English name Almagest derives. The Arabic name is important due to the popularity of a Latin re-translation made in the 12th century from an Arabic translation, which would endure until original Greek copies would re-surface in the 15th century.

It's just not Square's Romanization.

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!

Prism posted:

Well...

That Very Wikipedia Link posted: ...

It's just not Square's Romanization.

I admit that my brain kind of tuned out after it read some Greek characters. Still, makes for a cooler sounding attack name than "The Great Treatise", or "Syntaxis Mathematica".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tobacco Grower posted:

Still, makes for a cooler sounding attack name than [...] "Syntaxis Mathematica".

As someone who has butchered whole fields with Math Skill in FFT, I'm gonna have to disagree here.

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!

Kyrosiris posted:

As someone who has butchered whole fields with Math Skill in FFT, I'm gonna have to disagree here.

"The Laws of Fiesta are Absolute! Syntaxis Mathematica!"

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The funniest thing about it is that the word basically translates to "The Great" or "The Greatest," which is an awfully arrogant name to give to an attack.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

CeallaSo posted:

The funniest thing about it is that the word basically translates to "The Great" or "The Greatest," which is an awfully arrogant name to give to an attack.

Dude, you HAVE played this game, right? That poo poo is only the tip of the iceberg that is Exdeath's arrogance.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's also a pretty nasty attack to get hit by.

It's basically Exdeath going, "Take this, my Ultimate Attack!"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

It's also a pretty nasty attack to get hit by.

It's basically Exdeath going, "Take this, my Ultimate Attack!"

And then every Dancer within 50 miles turns into a thin, red paste.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kyrosiris posted:

In 2011 I got Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer.

For the final battle I slapped the HP+ Abilities on my Dancer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about almagest is that it's holy elemental. There's nothing in the vanilla game that lets you mitigate holy damage. They could have just made it non-elemental and it would work out just the same, but for whatever reason they didn't.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about almagest is that it's holy elemental. There's nothing in the vanilla game that lets you mitigate holy damage. They could have just made it non-elemental and it would work out just the same, but for whatever reason they didn't.

its probably just to deal with something that came up in testing. maybe almagest could add instant death before or bone mail has decent mag evade. who knows. its definitely supposed to be a "go grind more" shutdown move

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless you're smart enough to give them Equip Shields. :smug:

zolthorg posted:

its probably just to deal with something that came up in testing. maybe almagest could add instant death before or bone mail has decent mag evade. who knows. its definitely supposed to be a "go grind more" shutdown move

Alternately, Bone Mail could be the exact reason. Want to rely on sheer defense? Enjoy a now useless character slot.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Unless you're smart enough to give them Equip Shields. :smug:

Alternately, Bone Mail could be the exact reason. Want to rely on sheer defense? Enjoy a now useless character slot.

was it physical like vacuum wave? i thought you could halve it with shell
when i found out it was holy i just assumed it was something to do w bonemail

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

I finally decided to register for my run, chaos 750 + BERSERKERRISK. Seemed silly for me to pay for 550 berserkers and not give one a home myself.

Also I've been watching elmagus and puwexil's practice runs this week. They've dumpstered shinryu and omega pretty easily both times so I doubt my little challenge extended the run by even 10 minutes, unless Ddarch and Jenja have issues. Looks like the run is going to be really fast too, like 5 hours and change.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
To while away the last couple of days before the Fiesta begins, let's have the most pointless discussion imaginable: a tier list argument!

Here's mine, for the fiesta. Roughly ordered top-to-bottom within a tier, based around Chaos (so I don't consider relative utility vs. other jobs of the same crystal). The TLDR: the median FFV class is quite good, and it's difficult to construct a truly bad team even in Chaos.

Turtle Shell Tier:
Chemist

Hysterically Overpowered
Blue Mage
Beastmaster (autistic player)
Bard
Mystic Knight
Time Mage

Pretty Overpowered
Ninja (w/ mages)
Black Mage
White Mage
Summoner

Good
Beastmaster (normal player)
Ranger
Ninja (w/o mages)
Knight
Samurai
Berserker

Disappointingly Usable
Dragoon
Thief
Red Mage (w/ other mages)
Geomancer (iOS/Steam)

Usably Disappointing
Dancer
Monk
Red Mage (no other mages)

Equip Bells Tier
Geomancer

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I always favored Summoner as a "free win" class since it has everything you would ever need in an easy-to-select list of ridiculous spells. Golem is disgustingly powerful and it's easy to boost elements for insane damage in FFV. They also have the highest natural magic out of any class

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Summoners are far more OP than Time Mages, imo. You can easily win against everything in the game just by virtue of having !Summon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, Summoner easily goes into "disgustingly overpowered", the only time they lag behind is at the end of W2 and the Pyramid, where their best damaging option is still Titan but other characters are getting -agas and the Chicken Knife.

And then after you beat Melusine you get Syldra and the rest of the game is basically over until NED. :getin:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I'd split the Good tier up and put in a "Potentially OP" tier between that and normal OP. I'd say the divided results would be something like:

Potentially OP:
Ninjas (speed, passives, !Throw, and Dual-Wield shenanigans)
Ranger (long-range ability and Rapid-Fire, plus !Animals if you feel lucky.
Samurais (powerful weapons that can crit, tanking ability, Gil Toss, and Shirahadori)

Merely Good:
Beastmaster (since you specified between autistic and normal players, and normals probably won't mess around too much with !Capturing, leaving them with only mediocre weapons with occasionally useful procs and !Calm)
Knight (tank power, Cover shenanigans, passives, and knight swords)
Thief (good passives and early Stealing can nab some nice poo poo you can't get otherwise)

Berserker would go down to the next lowest tier in Thief's place. Tank power and defense-piercing doesn't make up for the lack of control.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/741206712737234944

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

(order within a list is roughly by crystal order but indicates no particular stratification within a tier)

God Tier
Chemist

Free Triple Crown Tier
Time Mage
Bard
Beastmaster

High Tier
Blue Mage
White Mage
Summoner
Mystic Knight
Ninja
Ranger
Samurai

Mid Tier
Knight
Black Mage
Thief
Berserker
Dancer

Low Tier
Monk
Red Mage
Dragoon

Garbage Tier
Geomancer

Alternatively, for laughs, there's this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588331-final-fantasy-v/42514678

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

the most incorrect FF5 grognard posted:

Blue Mage - Besides Big Guard which you get near the end of the game. Its complete crap. Plus there aren't really any cases where you think "I NEED Big Guard for this battle".

:laffo: Somebody flunked out of math in grade school.

Bard and Chemist being "I never used it so it must suck" is amazing, too, as is Monk being on par with the White/Black and Mystic Knight and Geomancer being on par with Time Mage and Samurai.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you come from the "I press A to hit things!" school of RPG players, then those classes seem pretty bad. It's just that in a Fiesta run, you can't generally get away with that playstyle, and so you have to try different things.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

gamefaqs forum posted:

Alright, I just finished Final Fantasy V.

This was my FIRST playthrough though.

I mean, given that context, him being wrong about everything is understandable.

"That context" being "GameFAQs user", to be clear. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultrafilter posted:

If you come from the "I press A to hit things!" school of RPG players, then those classes seem pretty bad. It's just that in a Fiesta run, you can't generally get away with that playstyle, and so you have to try different things.

Yeah, the Fiesta restrictions change the relative importance of the individual classes quite a bit. In a normal playthrough, there's no reason to ever bother with Chemist or Blue Mage unless you like their gimmick because it's very easy to create a team that can destroy all opposition without having to track down Blue spells or mixing ingredients. But when your offensive potential is limited, these classes suddenly become very important because they can carry you through the toughest spots.

For what it's worth, I'd say the easiest Fiesta team you can have under the normal ruleset is Black Mage/Summoner/Bard/Samurai. This composition doesn't require any specific knowledge of the game, can easily beat every fight, and will never have to slow down in order to grind levels or items.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zolthorg posted:

Only if you're doing a gimmick run like the fiesta. If you're just playing through the game casually, you can easily survive it with a shell effect, which multiple classes can provide.

• Locked thread