Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

oddium posted:

also if you put points in jedi mind trick make sure you put the skill in one of your Can Use skill slots or you won't be able to use it in conversations i think ??

witcher 3's skill system suuuuuuuucks

oh yes, I'd forgotten to mention that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

From what I know of House of Leaves, wouldn't PT (and the now cancelled Allison Road) more or less fit the same mold?

you should have put "now canceled" next to PT as well

also, no, not really

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Palpek posted:

House of *leaves*

8-Bit Scholar posted:

From what I know of House of Leaves, wouldn't PT (and the now cancelled Allison Road) more or less fit the same mold?

I love house of leaves but a house of leaves game would just be like Myst pretty much. Or like a less exciting and scary Amnesia maybe.

The original Myst was pretty dark, they kinda got more friendly as the series went on. I'm hoping Obduction does some cool creepy poo poo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

What was the one? Don't leave us hanging, VG

Well at the time I was all about FPS games. I had hundreds of hours on doom, the quakes and unreal tournament. I was still playing pretty much all of them well into 2001 in fact.

That's when a friend told me to try playing a new FPS that had come out and was getting many rave reviews and is an utterly beloved franchise until the most recent two entries.

I've never played any of them other than the first game because I think everything about Halo is really, really bland and bad. Also some of the lasting effects it has had on the genre make me sad.

I don't want the thread to turn into a Halo detail however and I have nothing but respect for anyone who enjoys it (and any video game really!) and it's sequel games. It is just not for me and remains the only game I could not find any love for.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Remember a few months ago when people were saying that ME2 would suck because they would totally make it into a shooter? And then it turned out that they removed guns entirely but it still apparently sucks.

I remember people saying the combat sucks in general and there should be very little of it.

The devs have to realize that it's okay for your big game not to have combat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Myst series has always had kind of a self-serious tone, but the first one felt lighter to me because of all the fantastical elements within it. Riven was probably the darkest in terms of its subject matter and presentation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Truly good Halo campaign was all about the co-op. Not enough games do co-op properly. Co-op can be tons of fun if you're playing with a buddy, even lovely games can be fun with co-op much less a good game.

They're okay solo and the multi's pretty fun but Halo was always about co-op for me, which makes Halo 5 not having split-screen pretty heinous.

I am glad though that Doom was so oldschool and I hope some game designers realize that not every single FPS needs to be like Modern Warfare.

gently caress I wish Doom was co-op!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Doom should really have coop.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The Myst series has always had kind of a self-serious tone, but the first one felt lighter to me because of all the fantastical elements within it. Riven was probably the darkest in terms of its subject matter and presentation.

True that Riven's story was a little darker than Myst's, (Mostly just because Ghen is a maniac) but some of the ages in Myst were waaaaay darker than anything in Riven. And the whole thing with the brothers trying to trap you... I dunno. I think Myst is darker overall.

The StoneShip age has that watery cave area which freaked the poo poo out of me as a kid.

And the Channelwood age, and a few others (I think mechanical age too?), you can find the rooms that Atrus' kids lived in, and they have some hosed up poo poo hidden in there. (to clue you in on the brothers' true natures)

Riven only really has that one fire marble dome area where its kinda dark, but its not really all that spooky. The rest of the game is bright and colorful even. Oh, and the music and sound effects in Myst were super creepy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the worst game experience i've had was playing fallout 4 for the first time with a steam controller

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Sgt. Rip and Cpl. Tear

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

True that Riven's story was a little darker than Myst's, (Mostly just because Ghen is a maniac) but some of the ages in Myst were waaaaay darker than anything in Riven. And the whole thing with the brothers trying to trap you... I dunno. I think Myst is darker overall.

The StoneShip age has that watery cave area which freaked the poo poo out of me as a kid.

And the Channelwood age, and a few others (I think mechanical age too?), you can find the rooms that Atrus' kids lived in, and they have some hosed up poo poo hidden in there. (to clue you in on the brothers' true natures)

Riven only really has that one fire marble dome area where its kinda dark, but its not really all that spooky. The rest of the game is bright and colorful even. Oh, and the music and sound effects in Myst were super creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3iOWWIRtg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Zaphod42 posted:

Riven only really has that one fire marble dome area where its kinda dark, but its not really all that spooky. The rest of the game is bright and colorful even.

I think if you were to go back and play those games now, you'd see that the color palette is much more all over the place in Myst than in Riven. In Myst you have kooky stuff like big huge gears on top of bright red domes, as opposed to Riven's much more muted browns and greys and natural formations + archtiecture. But I was speaking more about the subject matter, in that you're pursuing a mad tyrant playing God in a dying Age.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
To avoid this derailing the poo poo out of the thread, I will try to present my feelings on Halo in as safe a way as possible.

At the point in my life when Halo came out, I had no interest in playing shooters on a PC. I had a comfy chair, an abundance of free time, and a tv. With those conditions, I thought Halo (specifically 2 and 3) were awesome games. They had really fun and creative custom games, a consistently high player-base, and really good maps.

I don't play the new ones and don't really like the direction the series has gone post-Halo 3, but they were definitely a huge part of my life.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You are not derailing if you're talking about games.

I still like Halo, just really liked the co-op campaign and playing it with friends.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Lego Sonic looks horrifying

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Lego Sonic looks horrifying

The lego stuff always looks weird when they use non standard lego heads.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

You are not derailing if you're talking about games.

I still like Halo, just really liked the co-op campaign and playing it with friends.

Yeah, but I know from experience if you try and just say "Halo is good" without going into detail you'll end up with twenty people talking about how it's the death of gaming and how there were so many PC shooters that were so much better and blah blah blah.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

But, but Minecraft was the death of gaming too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I am glad though that Doom was so oldschool and I hope some game designers realize that not every single FPS needs to be like Modern Warfare.
It's a pity it took Id several years and a lot of departures/sackings to realize that and reboot the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-g2dE63Eoc

What we got out of the second try was pretty amazing, though!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Halo is good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I can't see wormtongue or any other character he's played without thinking of Saavedro. He was also a mentat in Dune. :v:

exquisite tea posted:

I think if you were to go back and play those games now, you'd see that the color palette is much more all over the place in Myst than in Riven. In Myst you have kooky stuff like big huge gears on top of bright red domes, as opposed to Riven's much more muted browns and greys and natural formations + archtiecture. But I was speaking more about the subject matter, in that you're pursuing a mad tyrant playing God in a dying Age.

Yeah like I said, Ghen is totally a maniac. But on the other hand, being trapped on an island all by yourself, with Atrus having been imprisoned by his sadistic sons who each want to kill each other and trap you forever... that's pretty dark. And they like, tortured the native peoples of the different ages they found? Some hosed up poo poo. Ghen played God but he wasn't quite as sick. He was just arrogant and didn't fully understand the art of writing like Atrus did.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Kins posted:

It's a pity it took Id several years and a lot of departures/sackings to realize that and reboot the project.

Just looks like Hellgate London to me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, but I know from experience if you try and just say "Halo is good" without going into detail you'll end up with twenty people talking about how it's the death of gaming and how there were so many PC shooters that were so much better and blah blah blah.
Halo was pretty good (at least during the Bungie era), but it spawned (or made popular) a few clichés (regenerating health, two-weapon limit) that a lot of other games did a pretty poor job of implementing, so that'd be why it gets a bit of stick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Brad Douriff is a genuinely great actor and it's both amazing and kind of absurd that one of his best performances is in an early 2000s adventure game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even know what to think of this kind of property crossover madness. It's like when me and my buddy who had 6 older brother would spend 2 hours setting up armies of batman, he-man, gi Joe, Transformers, WWF, looney tunes and mario figures to fight each other, except now it's giant corporations doing it. The cynical part of me thinks that something like this is just a big pile of nothing with a candy coated shell of things I recognize, where absolutely none of what was interesting or fun about the properties I love will come through in a meaningful way. But at the same time it looks genuinely fun and respectful to the original material.

The Kins posted:

That looks super forgettable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Halo was pretty good (at least during the Bungie era), but it spawned (or made popular) a few clichés (regenerating health, two-weapon limit) that a lot of other games did a pretty poor job of implementing, so that'd be why it gets a bit of stick.

That and the 343i Halos suck balls. They don't get why it was popular and they just can't stop loving it up.

ODST and Reach were drat good games though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even know what to think of this kind of property crossover madness. It's like when me and my buddy who had 6 older brother would spend 2 hours setting up armies of batman, he-man, gi Joe, Transformers, WWF, looney tunes and mario figures to fight each other, except now it's giant corporations doing it. The cynical part of me thinks that something like this is just a big pile of nothing with a candy coated shell of things I recognize, where absolutely none of what was interesting or fun about the properties I love will come through in a meaningful way. But at the same time it looks genuinely fun and respectful to the original material.

All I know is that this game gave us this song, which I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWfGIjZG50

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 9, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Well at the time I was all about FPS games. I had hundreds of hours on doom, the quakes and unreal tournament. I was still playing pretty much all of them well into 2001 in fact.

That's when a friend told me to try playing a new FPS that had come out and was getting many rave reviews and is an utterly beloved franchise until the most recent two entries.

I've never played any of them other than the first game because I think everything about Halo is really, really bland and bad. Also some of the lasting effects it has had on the genre make me sad.

I don't want the thread to turn into a Halo detail however and I have nothing but respect for anyone who enjoys it (and any video game really!) and it's sequel games. It is just not for me and remains the only game I could not find any love for.

I think even though I was into PC shooters and had played a ton of shooters at the time, the reason I really got into Halo was the vehicles. I loved the vehicles physics model and how you could coop three people in the warthog and stuff like that. Ironically Halo 1 also had the best variant on the life restore mechanic that some people hate that the series popularized, where only roughly half your life could restore automatically and the other half you needed health kits for.

That said, I totally get why people didn't like it. At the very least, playing a shooter with a controller was extremely annoying to get used to and I still much prefer the old kb+m.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Console shooters have been dead to me ever since they abandoned the Goldeneye-style tank controls. Dual stick configurations will never make sense for me to use over kb+m.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I think even though I was into PC shooters and had played a ton of shooters at the time, the reason I really got into Halo was the vehicles. I loved the vehicles physics model and how you could coop three people in the warthog and stuff like that. Ironically Halo 1 also had the best variant on the life restore mechanic that some people hate that the series popularized, where only roughly half your life could restore automatically and the other half you needed health kits for.

That said, I totally get why people didn't like it. At the very least, playing a shooter with a controller was extremely annoying to get used to and I still much prefer the old kb+m.

:yeah:

One of the crazier aspects of Destiny to me was the almost complete lack of vehicles, other than the "totally not a ghost" sparrow. It always seemed like one of the things that Bungie excelled at.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

halo CE had pretty cool enemy AI with the elites being captains and all, they're way more fun to tango with then anything in earlier FPS games as I remember. It's a big reason halo 1 is still fun to play imo.. also chuck a grenade in room and watch the grunts go flying. Persistent blood everywhere.. legendary mode being amazingly fun to coop... the best times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: The Warthog was like 50% of what made Halo fun.

One person driving, one person shooting... it was the ultimate co-op experience at the time.

Bungie not including multi-person vehicles in Destiny is seriously insane :psyduck:

PantsBandit posted:

:yeah:

One of the crazier aspects of Destiny to me was the almost complete lack of vehicles, other than the "totally not a ghost" sparrow. It always seemed like one of the things that Bungie excelled at.

E:FB

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's funny that they're leaning so hard on crossovers after Disney Infinity died, which for some unfathomable reason only let you use the Star Wars characters in the Star Wars levels, the Toy Story characters on Toy Story levels, etc. So yea, this might be a cynical cash in but at least it's not locking you out of doing what you want to do with your toys in order to preserve brand purity or some nonsense.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Halo was fun. Halo 2 was even more fun. Kind of a glitchy game sometimes, especially with "trick jumping" letting people do pixel perfect platforming to avoid ever having to use stairs or ramps or intended pathways. Probably the height of console shooters for me, especially in online play. Big team battle capture the flag was way too entertaining with friends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't have an OG Xbox and I didn't get a 360 until Halo was already more or less over with, so I never really had much time with the brand other than playing it a few times at a friend's. But as far as console shooters, I'll always hold up Goldeneye as one of my favorite gaming memories.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone with no experience with modern day adventure games would you guys start with a telltale game, life is strange, or a stand alone like Gone Home or Firewatch?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Megasabin posted:

As someone with no experience with modern day adventure games would you guys start with a telltale game, life is strange, or a stand alone like Gone Home or Firewatch?

Do you mean point and click telltale or QTE telltale?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I actually tried to replay Halo CE on PC a few months ago, just to see if my earlier assessment was clouded. I had thought perhaps the slow and floaty movement with a controller had been made worse due to 'always run' Doom and Quake 3. I was definitely willing to give it another try, but it just doesn't grab me at all.

I think a lot of what made it so popular were things I wouldn't have got a chance to experience. I already had the internet and was not at University, so I wouldn't have had the multiplayer co-op sessions that a lot of other people would have experienced. I had my online dial up play via the PC.

Also, I didn't own an Xbox at the time, so I would only have played it when visiting my friend's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Megasabin posted:

firewatch is a good short little adventure game and its easily accessible, but there are a few parts where you're just roaming through wilderness

which is fine and good and all, its pretty, but near the end felt a little tedious

life is strange is pretty good now that all the episodes are out and you can experience it in its entirety, i'd pick firewatch first and then LiS

• Locked thread