Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

Daaamn you lucky motha fucka!

Count your blessings!

The poster actually ordered a 1080 to begin with. They ended up with the product paid for, just with a confusing box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tijag posted:

This 'baking' GPUs think seems bogus to me.

Except that it can and does work. Pretty sure it's just mostly luck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stanley Pain posted:

Except that it can and does work. Pretty sure it's just mostly luck.

Luck as affects what? Random variation in the melting point of solder?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Holyshoot posted:

Did I just manage to walk into a frys and get an after market 1080 and not a evga founders edition? All the pics on website for the evga founders look different from this ajd nothing on the box shows founders.

Yup, you did. That is the ACX 3.0 SC, congrats.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I've done it before and it has worked. Whether your oven is actually cybernetically repairing microprocessors (it isn't) or it's just knocking something back into place when you unscrewed the heatsink is up to the reader.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Did I just manage to walk into a frys and get an after market 1080 and not a evga founders edition? All the pics on website for the evga founders look different from this ajd nothing on the box shows founders.

dang, i'm jealous but also i don't have anything that can fully use a 1080. congrats!!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

tijag posted:

This 'baking' GPUs think seems bogus to me.

I'm right there with you on that, but all I can say is that it worked for my GPU. It's not back to 100% and still chokes on 3d applications, but at least my desktop and browser aren't covered in artifacting while I browse the internet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There's a manchild joke in there somewhere.

RE: Baking

I fixed my 360 with the "towel method," which is basically just a twist on the oven method. Who knows how it "actually" works, but heating it up did fix the system.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's a manchild joke in there somewhere.

Isn't that the point? I guess not manchild specifically, but an "inner child" type deal?

It's not like kids were the target market.

Kid has a slick bow tie.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Most ovens are terrible when it comes to being @ an accurate/even heat. So luck as in your oven got to the right temp and it was even enough to reflow the solder in the right place.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wicka posted:

are you kidding? they used to have poorly-rendered, big-tittied angels on half of them. they've changed a lot.

it's like a trip down memory lane

quote:

Frogmech. Frogmech. It's a frog in a mech suit. No, I don't think you understand. Take a moment and drink it in. It's a frog, yes? But the frog is in a mech suit. "Perhaps," you might ask, "perhaps there's a video game with a frog in a mech suit, that this frog — who is in a mech suit — is referencing?" I'll stop you now. There is no video game with a frog in a mech suit. That means that at some point, someone at Palit called someone else in Palit's art department and said "you know, I really think we need to put a frog on our next graphics card box. But not just any normal frog! Can you put the frog in a mech suit? I think it will be a good idea." And that other someone said "yes, I think it is a good idea to put a frog in a mech suit on the cover. I'll design that for you right now."

I want to shake the hands of both of those people.
Remembering the lost art of the graphics card box

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SlayVus posted:

GTX 1080 > Titan X > GTX 1070=980 Ti

980 Ti is overkill for 1920x1080, but you can turn on features like DSR for greater graphical fidelity.

The 1070 is more powerful than the Titan X and the 980ti.

ufarn posted:

Any reason people are going with EVGA instead of ASUS on 1080/70?

I haven't seen any signs of the ASUS ROG 1070 or a price ofr it but if it shows up and is better than EVGA I'm fine with that. I just want a goddamn card that doesn't have the FE "gently caress You Pay More" premium for no reason.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 11, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

All the video card box artists have moved on to designing for protein powder companies and kickstarter video games.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of ASUS's daring ROBOTIC OWL.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Evil Fluffy posted:

The 1070 is more powerful than the Titan X and the 980ti.

Not uniformly. It's an obvious win in DX12 titles and VR rendering but in DX11 titles the 980 Ti is a slightly beefier card with more memory bandwidth - it's just slightly more expensive compared to the 1070's MSRP (although not with the retail gouging happening with the 1070, lol) and uses more power doing it.

OC headroom is the variable there, but GPU Boost 3.0 does a better job of squeezing OC out of the chip so there's less headroom there than you would think. A max potential OC'd clock of 2100 vs the 1850 boost clock is only a 13% difference which is basically Maxwell territory, so it's pretty much a wash IMO.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I went to Microcenter out of curiosity, they sold out of GTX 1070s and 1080s 10 minutes after opening :stare:.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently Newegg got a small shipment of 1080 FTW in and people managed to order them and they shipped out.

EVGA forums are going to be in open revolt. :munch:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nvm im an idiot

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 11, 2016

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

pigdog posted:

Some 15 years ago the highest settings might have actually added some actually perceptible quality, but these days all those Insane and Extreme Settings are frankly just wankery to make some bad use of excess GPU power that the game wouldn't normally make use of. Why would anyone have to run on the highest settings which are simply there for bragging rights and where the difference to regular settings are almost imperceptible?

When I was reading the reviews of GTX 1080 my thought was that none of the reviews tell me what I need to know, that is, "how much money do I need to spend to get the level of quality I want?" All the reviews concentrated in comparing how many percent more powerful cards were compared to others. Those benchmarks told me that at 4K with ultra settings GTX 1080 averages 49 FPS, so the conclusion is that you can't use ultra settings with 1080, exactly the conclusion that applies to every other card in the market.

I would like review to show me what kind of picture quality can be achieved by different cards using different resolutions, while keeping the minimum FPS above 60, 96 or 144.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Anti-Hero posted:

The poster actually ordered a 1080 to begin with. They ended up with the product paid for, just with a confusing box.
It's not like there could be an actual shortage of printing these boxes, these kinds of fuckups are really mystifying

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

My favorite ones are the ones with like flaming screaming demons on the box of a bargain bin PCI GeforceFX 5200 and the like. I suppose that's effective enough for people who are just looking at the VRAM size as the only other indication of the performance level, which is likely a good portion of Best Buy customers.

And to comment about the 970 being overkill for 1080p; I plugged mine in, loaded up GTAV, cranked up all the sliders, enabled everything and was immediately disappointed. Still way better than my old 580, but people on the internet set my expectations a little too high. It'll hold me over til GP100/102 easily though; zero chance for disappointment there if I still have my 1920x1200 monitor.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Newegg got a small shipment of 1080 FTW in and people managed to order them and they shipped out.

EVGA forums are going to be in open revolt. :munch:

Newegg finally has a listing for the EVGA non-FE card ($419.99). Not seeing one for ASUS or MSI though. Is there any chance their cards will be cheaper than EVGA's by any amount even close to MSRP?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Newegg finally has a listing for the EVGA non-FE card ($419.99). Not seeing one for ASUS or MSI though. Is there any chance their cards will be cheaper than EVGA's by any amount even close to MSRP?

It's possible but I doubt it. All cards at the MSRP are going to be the super cheap blower cards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ufarn posted:

Any reason people are going with EVGA instead of ASUS on 1080/70?

EVGA's been the most transparent about their HSF assembly this time around (probably because of the bad press with the ACX 1.0 last time around), and ASUS has an HSF that doesn't make perfect contact with the core with all the heatpipes (though every expert and review says it doesn't matter). The FTW version also looks pretty damned impressive on paper and should be an good overclocker (at least until the Classified and k1ngp1n version ships).

Also, EVGA doesn't give a drat about you taking the HSF assembly off to put aftermarket coolers on, they've got the best support network out of all the AIB makers, and they're quicker to ship out stock because they supply to the most B&M stores.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 11, 2016

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
So now that EVGA has their non-FE on Newegg, should I pony up the extra for the 6173, or will the 6171 be the same post-OC?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Peanut3141 posted:

So now that EVGA has their non-FE on Newegg, should I pony up the extra for the 6173, or will the 6171 be the same post-OC?

IIRC they have identical PCBs and coolers but the SC has BIOS with an extra 30W of power target so you might get a very slightly higher OC out of it, I don't think they do any binning at this level so either one should hit somewhere between 1950MHz and 2150MHz depending on your chip.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The FTW has far better power regulation and a dual BIOS. Both cards will do the job, though.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The FTW has far better power regulation and a dual BIOS. Both cards will do the job, though.

Yeah, I'm feeling slight time pressure. I just built a computer for my sister's family and they didn't really have the budget for a video card. So my venerable 7950 is sitting in that box next to me and will be going over to their house tomorrow.

A wiser man would play Blizzard and indie games with the HD4400 for a week or two until things settle. I'm not sure that man is me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This picture of the back of the FTW gives me a bit of pause about the ACX 3.0:

I like the very open and ventilated retention plate, but the way the HSF fins are structured, it looks like the card's a giant heat trap. All the air would struggle to make it under the lengthwise fins and outside of the case, and just flow into the interior...I hope everyone's got good flowthrough.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I like the very open and ventilated retention plate, but the way the HSF fins are structured, it looks like the card's a giant heat trap. All the air would struggle to make it under the lengthwise fins and outside of the case, and just flow into the interior...I hope everyone's got good flowthrough.

I thought that if you weren't using a blower, it was assumed all the heat was going to be dumped into your case?

I've haven't had a graphics card in 10+ years that wasn't a blower so I could be hugely misinformed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That is how open coolers work, they either force air down between the fins and out the sides of the cooler or they suck it through the fins and shoot it out of the fans, all open coolers exhaust right into the case and depend on the case having decent air flow to get rid of the hot air. For instance look at these two coolers from the Asus Strix 1080 and the Inno3D iChill X3:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I want to buy that EVGA 1070 but I dont want that drat Razer mouse as part of the Newegg combo. Is there anyway I can contact CS and cancel the mouse or do I have to return the mouse?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Go donate it to Goodwill or something if you don't want it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, Asus strix 1070 is a solid 200€ more expensive than a 970 was. I miss the days when prices between generations stayed the same. I especially miss the sweet HD6950 (which could be flashed to 6970) deals...

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Someone asked for EU prices - 1070s are ranging from 519€ to 549€ in Italy right now :stare:
1080s are going for 750-799, just for reference.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow, they all had designs like this.

I don't remember this at all.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Char posted:

Someone asked for EU prices - 1070s are ranging from 519€ to 549€ in Italy right now :stare:
1080s are going for 750-799, just for reference.

NL/BE prices are 500 for the most basic non-FE, up to 580 for the Strix, FE's are 520

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh man, old video card boxes.

Look, I am not ashamed to admit that I was a dumb kid and bought BFG Tech for my video cards growing up because their boxes didn't look like "30 minutes in Poser 3". Some of that box art probably *was* the result of 30 minutes in Poser 3.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Welp, Asus strix 1070 is a solid 200€ more expensive than a 970 was. I miss the days when prices between generations stayed the same. I especially miss the sweet HD6950 (which could be flashed to 6970) deals...

Where are you seeing an Asus Strix 1070 on sale?

e: unfortunately the MSRP for the 1070 FE is €513. I'm going to wait a while and then try for a custom at around €450.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 11, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bleh Maestro posted:

Ugh Nvidia why did you have to do this stupid pricing.

Because people will apparently still pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only thing 'founding' about the Founder's Edition is that it's set the ~foundation~ for all future nVidia pricing. When the 11xx rolls around we're all gonna be nostalgic for *these* prices.