Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MikeJF posted:

They're doing local Independence Day posters for each country showing the mothership hovering menacingly over your part of the world. Apparently, in Australia, we live in the worst possible future: a future where everyone lives in Adelaide and Brisbane.

Also for some reason we have cities all through the outback. Real life for comparison. At least we can blame Sydney being missing on that ship that fell on top of it in the first movie.

Ha that was my first question as I didn't think Australia was populated that far inland at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Antti posted:

I think one more point needs to be made about The Shack, a book where a little girl is murdered by a serial killer and the book is about dad coming to terms with it.

Well, what the gently caress.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You know how all the posters nowadays ripoff The Social Network?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They're doing local Independence Day posters for each country showing the mothership hovering menacingly over your part of the world. Apparently, in Australia, we live in the worst possible future: a future where everyone lives in Adelaide and Brisbane.

Also for some reason we have cities all through the outback. Real life for comparison. At least we can blame Sydney being missing on that ship that fell on top of it in the first movie.

You'd think there'd be more Kiwis on the west coast of New Zealand, eating popcorn and watching the fireworks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is not the only location with questionable lights. It's like some artist was told that the world has changed and then went bonkers lighting poo poo up without putting the whole process through a social, historical and geopolitical prism before painting the world with dots.

I mean, that's exactly what happened and it bothers me too but nobody asked me. No amount of alien invasion is going to cover eastern Australia in city sprawl in a matter of a couple decades.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This movie is alt history, so maybe the world governments decided the outback would be a good base of operations for human/alien hybrid weapons testing

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It would be like the US developing all its cities from New York to Denver in twenty years only it's on top of desert instead of the most fertile farmland in the world.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kiimo posted:

It would be like the US developing all its cities from New York to Denver in twenty years only it's on top of desert instead of the most fertile farmland in the world.

Sounds like scifi to me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not surprised members on these very forums are mad about some science fiction not adhering to real world rules.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

At least they actually bothered to include New Zealand.
http://worldmapswithout.nz/

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Squishy posted:

You know how all the posters nowadays ripoff The Social Network?

Seeing this in a modern day just makes me wanna yell "loving memes!" or something at it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Not surprised members on these very forums are mad about coworkers not taking a beat to consider real world rules.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Light Gun Man posted:

Seeing this in a modern day just makes me wanna yell "loving memes!" or something at it.

I like how Bogie's hair is flat-out green.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Actually one of the plot points of the film is that desert regions of the planet are no very lush and thriving due to alien terraforming that they started off-screen in the first film. It's how a small group of surviving aliens have lived in the African desert for so many years undetected.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually one of the plot points of the film is that desert regions of the planet are no very lush and thriving due to alien terraforming that they started off-screen in the first film. It's how a small group of surviving aliens have lived in the African desert for so many years undetected.

Uh, maybe spoiler these things.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Uh, maybe spoiler these things.

It's in the trailer.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

kiimo posted:

This is not the only location with questionable lights. It's like some artist was told that the world has changed and then went bonkers lighting poo poo up without putting the whole process through a social, historical and geopolitical prism before painting the world with dots.

I mean, that's exactly what happened and it bothers me too but nobody asked me. No amount of alien invasion is going to cover eastern Australia in city sprawl in a matter of a couple decades.

It's like Australia's Megacity 1.

The aliens can have Australia though tbh

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aliens don't want your continent of death critters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiny Chris Hemsworth.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

muscles like this? posted:

Tiny Chris Hemsworth.

These feminists are out of control.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's just what happens when he puts the hammer down for 60 seconds.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Aphrodite posted:

That's just what happens when he puts the hammer down for 60 seconds.

That's some Buzzfeed level fakeout right there

'Ladies, see what happens when Chris Hemsworth puts the hammer down for sixty seconds !!'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shoehead posted:

It's like Australia's Megacity 1.

That's Oz City, creep. 90 days in the 'cubes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm really digging that Stranger Things poster and I have no idea what it's about and haven't heard a thing about before seeing that image. Great font too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I'm really digging that Stranger Things poster and I have no idea what it's about and haven't heard a thing about before seeing that image. Great font too.

It's about what would happen if ET was spooky.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

PriorMarcus posted:

It's about what would happen if ET was spooky.

ET's already spooky as gently caress

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

ET's already spooky as gently caress

Oh yeah, and there's no way Stranger Things managed to design an alien more horrific looking than ET.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh yeah, and there's no way Stranger Things managed to design an alien more horrific looking than ET.

What? ET looks like the world's friendliest turd.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

What? ET looks like the world's friendliest turd.

Something about him makes my skin crawl.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That shot where the older brother finds ET's pale body sprawled in that creek bed was pretty hosed up.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

Something about him makes my skin crawl.

ET is completely hideous and makes horrifying, terrifying noises. I'm completely at a loss how anybody ever found it cute, the movie is like babby's first horror movie and it's horrible

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ruddiger posted:

That shot where the older brother finds ET's pale body sprawled in that creek bed was pretty hosed up.

I saw a turd like that left in a toilet when I was a teenager working at Burger King.

I thought of ET immediately -- then proceeded to vomit at the idea of a pale turd.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You philistines need to shut the gently caress up about E.T. you flashlight holding oppressors.

ruddiger posted:

The trailer sold me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxyRG_tckY

Parachute
May 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

You philistines need to shut the gently caress up about E.T. you flashlight holding oppressors.

The trailer sold me.

This looks right up my alley. Can't wait!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Thought these were cool

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

I don't like the new direction the Frank sequel is going towards.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was the long awaited Twisted Metal adaptation that everyone's been waiting for.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

kiimo posted:

The trailer sold me.

That's fantastic. But I've been perplexed by how much they're seemingly referencing E.T. there. Like, I almost expect the shoe to drop, and surprise! It's E.T.! And he brought friends, though not as nice as him!

That, or they have no idea that they were drawing comparisons, and it's just a coincidence. Either way, the logo is super evocative and I'm super pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Like, I almost expect the shoe to drop, and surprise! It's E.T.! And he brought friends, though not as nice as him!

That's the plot of MST3K movie Pod People. Pretty hack if you ask me.