Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yes tell people to read the bad books first, that will get them on board

I'll grant you I'm in the minority in this thread in my dislike of Mistborn, but the most repeated question I hear about Sanderson is "I read Mistborn; why do you guys like this author so much?", so I may not be that rare in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MildShow posted:

My recommended order for the Cosmere works would be Mistborn 1 -3, then Elantris, then the rest in release order.

I understand the logic of starting with Emperor's Soul - it's a small time investment, and it's undoubtedly Sanderson's best work. The problem I have with reading it first is that, because it's his best work, you'll likely be disappointed when you get to his weakest books. Also, it's very different in structure and tone from the rest of his work, so it's not a great example of what you'll find reading the other books.

I feel that Mistborn has enough good there that most people will be able to enjoy it despite its flaws, and it's probably the best example of what you can expect reading Sanderson.

The problem is that mistborn 2 really sucks.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Tunicate posted:

The problem is that mistborn 2 really sucks.

Do you mean the second book of the first series or the second series? Because I can see that position for the Well of Ascension but the Wax and Wayne books are way better than the Vin books.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The second book of Mistborn is a steaming pile of garbage, largely because the first book only had one decently interesting character and Sanderson killed him as part of that book's finale.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

the most repeated question I hear about Sanderson is "I read Mistborn; why do you guys like this author so much?", so I may not be that rare in general.

I've also had people tell me they didn't like Mistborn. I did so I was kinda confused

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MildShow posted:

I feel that Mistborn has enough good there that most people will be able to enjoy it despite its flaws, and it's probably the best example of what you can expect reading Sanderson.

Mistborn would be among the last books I'd suggest to get somebody interested in Sanderson, because it's not very good and the second book is just so bad.

I'd honestly start with Elantris. It was first and has a lot of rough spots, but it also has his strongest character(Hrathen), and the fact that it's a standalone saves it from having a second-book slump.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fezz posted:

Do you mean the second book of the first series or the second series? Because I can see that position for the Well of Ascension but the Wax and Wayne books are way better than the Vin books.

Well of ascension.

WoA and HoA should have been a single book.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll say not to start with Elantris, I put that book down for months because I just didn't find it too engaging.

I also don't recall the 2nd Mistborn book being that terrible so I may just have bad opinions :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arrath posted:

I'll say not to start with Elantris, I put that book down for months because I just didn't find it too engaging.

I also don't recall the 2nd Mistborn book being that terrible so I may just have bad opinions :v:

I basically agree, although I can understand why people don't like Well of Ascension. The protagonist spends a lot of time coming up with reasons not to take a straightforward course of action, and in the end takes that course of action anyway is kind of a weird plot structure (although it is also the plot structure of Hamlet, come to think of it).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Tunicate posted:

Well of ascension.

WoA and HoA should have been a single book.

or not a book at all.

Mistborn 1+3 worked because the plot moves so quickly that you can gloss over the mediocre writing quality and paperthin characters. WoA tries to slow things down which is just awful because these characters are incredibly dull. Vin's trust issues and Elend's political views just can't carry the story. Book 2 could have easily been compressed into a short story or several flashbacks.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
One of my problems with the Wax+Wayne books is the constant referencing of Mistborn characters that I literally don't remember despite having read the trilogy twice

This may be related to my refusal to learn character names, but everyone's cardboard cutout personalities don't help.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So which book are people more excited about, the upcoming Stormlight book or the last Wax & Wayne book? I'm pretty torn, on the one hand, Stormlight Archive is my favorite Cosmere series. On the other hand, The Lost Metal will be the last book of this Mistborn era, and will likely resolve most of the plots of the Wax & Wayne books.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Stormlight by far. The world, the characters, and the story are head and shoulders above mistborn.

Don't get me wrong. I'll buy and enjoy both. Wax and Wayne's story is good.

Stormlight is just better.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The Wax and Wayne books are his best ones, especially if you're going through them on audiobook. The audiobook reader doing all of Wayne's different accents is amazing and hilarious and everyone should experience it in that medium.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Daric posted:

The Wax and Wayne books are his best ones, especially if you're going through them on audiobook. The audiobook reader doing all of Wayne's different accents is amazing and hilarious and everyone should experience it in that medium.

Cannot agree more. The reader does a great job with Wayne.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

So which book are people more excited about, the upcoming Stormlight book or the last Wax & Wayne book? I'm pretty torn, on the one hand, Stormlight Archive is my favorite Cosmere series. On the other hand, The Lost Metal will be the last book of this Mistborn era, and will likely resolve most of the plots of the Wax & Wayne books.

Stormlight 3, even if it wasn't going to have Dalinar as the main focus (instead of Kaladin) it'd be the better of the two. Lost Alloy should be good and all, especially after that tease ending in Bands, but Stormlight just feels better overall.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Really, the best way to read Mistborn 1-3 is in a binge fashion and then do a week long propofol bender 24 hours later. Really drives home the plot and Kelsier characterization.

...there may have been hallucination-inspired fan fiction written.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I remain firmly in my opinion that Mistborn's 1 and 3 are good, with 3 less so and 2 desperately needs to be cut in half, because "dread armies besiege the city of OUR HEROES while it suffers from within" isn't a bad thrust for how the first mistborn ends, especially considering how in over their heads they are about this, but the other plots just fall kind of flat.

I'd still say read emperors soul and perfect state first, then recommend either stormlight 1 and 2 to keep on the roll of the good stuff, or read mistborn entirely, knowing that you're going in for his weaker stories that build into good ones. :shrug:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Has there been any change to his release schedule?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Khizan posted:

The second book of Mistborn is a steaming pile of garbage, largely because the first book only had one decently interesting character and Sanderson killed him as part of that book's finale.

I thought Mistborn was a really great book, because the premise "The Dark Lord has won, and we pull a Ocean's Eleven on him" was really a new take 10 years ago when I read it. It got me into the whole Cosmere thing easily. And while WoE wasn't as good (I don't like Elend much), I don't think that makes Mistborn a bad entry point.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Decius posted:

I thought Mistborn was a really great book, because the premise "The Dark Lord has won, and we pull a Ocean's Eleven on him" was really a new take 10 years ago when I read it. It got me into the whole Cosmere thing easily. And while WoE wasn't as good (I don't like Elend much), I don't think that makes Mistborn a bad entry point.

Pretty much this. Also the interesting character doesn't die at the climax, they die at like the 2/3rds point. Part of what confused me was how far before the climax that scene was.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its hands down my favorite scene in that book.

Also its not the only interesting character, but having that one be removed did create some interesting problems for the heroes to deal with. I liked that too.

Mistborn really had some good ideas. It just needed some character work (some of the crew are very thin) and for not everything to pile up at the end. The former i can forgive as a kind of "we're behind Vin's eyes. We have her knowledge of the world and not everyone's going to spill their guts for her right away." but the latter was very much Sanderson's early flaw that he's made a effort to avoid.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Mistborn board game is live on kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftygames/mistborn-house-war

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Now I'm not into boardgames anymore but this;

quote:

Simultaneously, you’ll compete to become the most powerful House in the land by currying favor from the almighty Lord Ruler. To win, you must build alliances, negotiate deals, and undermine both your enemies and your allies — all at just the right time. But be careful! Should your stewardship fail, unrest will tear the Final Empire asunder and the House most distanced from the Lord Ruler shall emerge the victor.

Sounds neat! A way to "side" with Vin and the uprising by being the least of their problems and not having your house fall to ruin alongside the lord ruler? Thats cool. :haw: I also imagine it incentives the weaker players to work to bring ruin (ha) to the empire sooner by actively undermining the stability and racing to be the most hated.

I also imagine this might end in a visit from a nice man or woman with spikes in their eyes. :allears:

Also its already funded, so thats nice. :unsmith:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I read the first two Stormlight books, then the first Mistborn book, then Elantris. I picked up the 2nd Mistborn book and quit halfway through. This was all a while ago and I have since moved onto another author.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who wasn't crazy about the 2nd Mistborn book. Maybe I'll power through it one day just so I can finish reading Sanderson's stuff.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Ah, just read a Wikipedia or Coppermind summary and move on to the next one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aranan posted:

I read the first two Stormlight books, then the first Mistborn book, then Elantris. I picked up the 2nd Mistborn book and quit halfway through. This was all a while ago and I have since moved onto another author.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who wasn't crazy about the 2nd Mistborn book. Maybe I'll power through it one day just so I can finish reading Sanderson's stuff.

Skip to part 5 or 6, then finish it.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Brandon's newsletter just came out with a preview for the Stormlight novella.

It's called Edgedancer, and it's about Lift. So, if you don't like her...you're not in luck.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Captain Capitalism posted:

It's called Edgedancer, and it's about Lift. So, if you don't like her...you're not in luck.

:dance: I liked her interlude, so bring it on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

:dance: I liked her interlude, so bring it on.
:iia:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
First part of the White Sands TPB is available on comixology. Good read, decent (oddly Micheal Turner flavoured) art. Some classic Sanderson elements in play. Poorly understood magic system and plot twists seem to be seeded already.

Looking forward to the rest.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I like Mistborn 2 and don't like Lift. A couple of hot takes care of yours truly

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I just got the white sands pushed to my kindle. Loving it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Not in the kindle store yet. But looking forward to some more awesome

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Woo! :haw:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

M_Gargantua posted:

Apparently he was signing them at a Barnes and Noble a few days ago and said on twitter to call and they would ship you a signed, numbered copy. I get mine in a few days.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

I had heard it was bland - are people liking it now?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I had heard it was bland - are people liking it now?

Given that it's been out for maybe like 2 days that's a pretty quick time to calcify your opinion and then have it changed.

(White Sands the book was pretty "early Sanderson", and therefore I'm sure pretty bad, but White Sands the comic just came out and is hopefully really good..)

My copy is sitting in the canada post depot right now, they were supposed to deliver it yesterday, today's a holiday, and they probably go on strike tomorrow. Everything is terrible.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
I liked White Sands a lot, but it felt a little rushed. Maybe if I only read one chapter at a time, and had to wait for the next one, it would feel better paced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

The white sands comic is pretty awesome. Sanderson did a signing at my buddy's game store here in Utah which was awesome. He is such a nice guy and fun to nerd out with.