Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Team is fully assembled! Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai. Not too bad, all things considered. Dark bows and nightingale trivialized clapperclaw. What's the etiquette concerning job distribution while Galuf is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

KataraniSword posted:

That was for The Run at the start of the Fiesta. No making someone literally bankrupt for charity, sorry. :shobon:

I'm sure there will be SOME people making donation clauses for every player triple-crown, though.

I saw someone pledge 1 cent for every single. NED, Omega, and Shinryu kill.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Geomancer/Geomancer/Time Mage/Dancer for run two (Chaos750).

Well, it's a triple crown. If I ever get there. :v:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It turns out we got Geomancer all wrong!

quote:

The Geomancer is one of the most useful classes in the game, and you will want - no, you will need to use these guys several times. In battle, Geomancers don't have any awesome equipment choices, and only have three abilities. But they're all very good. Gaia, on its own, isn't anything awesome, but it's good as a base skill for the Geomancer class. Gaia executes a random attack based on the terrain. The exact attack is random, but most Gaia skills are group attacks, and all Gaia skills rely on Magic for strength, hence your Geomancer should be an ex-mage. Since their weapons suck, Geomancers should just use "Gaia" every turn, it'll probably do a lot more damage than normal attacks, and Gaia is free, using it doesn't cost a single MP.

Find Pits and Light Step are the reasons this job is required to beat the game. A lot of dungeons have hidden pitfalls that send you plummeting to a lower floor, or they have lava floors that zap your health when you walk through them. The Geomancer detects the pitfalls and nullifies the trapped floors. For a cheap 175 AP you can Master the class easily. At that point you can just switch to Freelancer and snatch those two passive abilities for free. Without the Geomancer, you'll be doing a lot of backtracking and healing, so unless you want to go insane with such tediousness, have a character Master this job.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Saigyouji posted:

It turns out we got Geomancer all wrong!

"A lot of dungeons have lava floors."

Castle Exdeath and...??? Real talk though my geomancer was MVP vs Byblos.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Ahahahahaha, rip in piss, you bastard!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kashuno posted:

The Undersea Trench and Meatfort are the only dungeons with damage floors, though North Mountain and the Pyramid have easily avoidable tiles that can poison you.

So Meatfort is pretty much the only time you're FORCED to deal with the gimmick, and even then it's only for a few treasures, a shortcut, and punishment if you gently caress up a puzzle... A puzzle that having Find Pits makes trivial, I should note.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Kashuno posted:

The trench, and I think that's it unless Sealed Temple has lava? And yeah, Geo is good for Byblos, shame about literally every World 1 boss after it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sooo, I'm stuck on the Crystals. Jobs are Knight, Black Mage, Berserker, Beastmaster.

Should I go catch me a Shield Dragon?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Hymirvetr posted:

Sooo, I'm stuck on the Crystals. Jobs are Knight, Black Mage, Berserker, Beastmaster.

Do you have Death Sickles? If you do, the Crystals aren't heavy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I do not have a Death Sickle. I forgot :smith:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Hymirvetr posted:

Hmm.

Have everyone at critical health. Knight guards with cover. Only let the berserker attack with a death scythe. Heal crystals with the black mage. Have to be a little lucky with the earth crystal or save a release for it.

Edit: Whelp

derra fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 13, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Guys I really need help on how to defeat Soul Cannon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sounds like someone needs more elixirs.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh boy, so Almagest doesn't even work on the crystals or what? I'm boned.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hymirvetr posted:

Oh boy, so Almagest doesn't even work on the crystals or what? I'm boned.

Sounds like it's Aquathorne time.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

that gets me one crystal out of the fight, right?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was going to get four Reflect Rings but gently caress it, I really technically only need one for World 2 Exdeath and I've already got 2, which is also enough for Omniscient.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dance bard geo, right?

Grind up Hide on as many people you have patience on. The launchers are vulnerable to stop. Have one bard Romeos Ballad them to keep them from aging, and kill them. Once they are dead, you should be fast enough to hide from soul cannon, return, hit. Repeat until dead. Will take a while but you should be able to avoid all damage.

Kill the launchers asap.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kyrosiris posted:

Sounds like someone needs more elixirs.

I've got... 7?

edit:

derra posted:

Dance bard geo, right?

Grind up Hide on as many people you have patience on. The launchers are vulnerable to stop. Have one bard Romeos Ballad them to keep them from aging, and kill them. Once they are dead, you should be fast enough to hide from soul cannon, return, hit. Repeat until dead. Will take a while but you should be able to avoid all damage.

Kill the launchers asap.

Wow, completely forgot about Hide. Thanks, will try.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Releasing two Lesser Lopros against Atomos for a sliver below 10k damage really helps a lot in that fight.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

With a team of Thief/Berzerker/Geomancer/Monk, what would you guys suggest as the secondary skill on each one?

Thief with Thief's !Mug?
Berzerker with Monk's Counter? Or maybe Monk's Barefist? Or Thief's Footwork?
Geomancer with Thief's Footwork for maximum item usage/healing? (Or Berzerker's EqAxe for attacks with Thor's Hammer from the back row? :haw: )
Monk with Monk's Counter? Monk with Thief's Footwork?

On the bright side, I don't have to worry about MP, rods, or ethers. :sigh:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You can occasionally steal Hi-Potions from Headstones on North Mountain, but they mostly have Silver Specs, which at least you can sell for an amount of money once they pile up. I did a bit of farming there, and some at the Ship Graveyard for a couple Elixirs to hang onto for those "oh poo poo we're gonna die" moments.

The Poltergeists in the Fire Ship have Hi-Potions as a common steal. They're the best source until you reach World 2.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I really appreciate how after Sandworm, the game throws you a few gimme bosses vulnerable to instant death.

hendersa posted:

With a team of Thief/Berzerker/Geomancer/Monk, what would you guys suggest as the secondary skill on each one?

Thief with Thief's !Mug?
Geomancer with Thief's Footwork for maximum item usage/healing? (Or Berzerker's EqAxe for attacks with Thor's Hammer from the back row? :haw: )

Thief gets !Mug, definitely. Berserker would like Footwork to not be quite so slow. Counter might be better against random enemies, or bosses with a lot of physical attacks.

Barehanded will pass on the monk's strength to Geomancer, which will help them when !Gaia's not a good option.

Monk has Counter innately, so don't waste a slot on that. I'd probably go with !Gaia, which will help them when punching isn't a good option.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Random seed generator rolled you a "frowny face," I see

Speaking of which, since everything's automatic once you start the fight, when't the last point before Sandworm that I can savestate and not be stuck repeating the same actions every time? I know the encounter rate RNG only increments after every step, I assume the battle RNG is frames but donno if it would pause after starting a conversation.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Hymirvetr posted:

All the non-fire Crystals can be rushed down with Rod-boosted firagas. Take them one at a time so you don't anger them all at once. Knight, Zerk, and a bear should be able to handle the last one.

Bruceski posted:

Speaking of which, since everything's automatic once you start the fight, when't the last point before Sandworm that I can savestate and not be stuck repeating the same actions every time? I know the encounter rate RNG only increments after every step, I assume the battle RNG is frames but donno if it would pause after starting a conversation.

It's been determined that pressing buttons still jumbles the RNG even if you're not in control, so you can fish for better seeds even in the middle of the fight.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 13, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Thief gets !Mug, definitely. Berserker would like Footwork to not be quite so slow. Counter might be better against random enemies, or bosses with a lot of physical attacks.

It's been a while since I've tried it, but from what I remember, Counter doesn't work on Berserkers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

All the non-fire Crystals can be rushed down with Rod-boosted firagas. Take them one at a time so you don't anger them all at once. Knight, Zerk, and a bear should be able to handle the last one.

It's been determined that pressing buttons still jumbles the RNG even if you're not in control, so you can fish for better seeds even in the middle of the fight.

Oh good, there's one possible Hell I won't accidentally stick myself in.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Quick, someone call Sullla! :v:

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

This is my first time playing FFV. I downloaded it for iOS and it has an auto attack feature that was super useful in the beginning of the game. However, I rolled and got white mage as my first job, and auto attacks for white mage includes:

• healing random party member, including fully healed ones
  • healing random enemies, especially if undead
  • attacking

I feel like I'm being punished for using easy baby mode auto-combat. :gonk: I just wanted to breeze through random encounters sometimes.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

jarbv posted:

This is my first time playing FFV. I downloaded it for iOS and it has an auto attack feature that was super useful in the beginning of the game. However, I rolled and got white mage as my first job, and auto attacks for white mage includes:

• healing random party member, including fully healed ones
  • healing random enemies, especially if undead
  • attacking

I feel like I'm being punished for using easy baby mode auto-combat. :gonk: I just wanted to breeze through random encounters sometimes.

That is weird. The same version on Steam has very different behavior for Auto. It just repeats the last action that you performed. As long as your last action was attack, it worked great with my white mage team.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Did this, reached meatfort now. Thinking about Ex death, I'm currently at level 25 and will probably grind a bit

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Have a question for the team. Last night went to fight Archaeoavis, was around level 23 or so because my only offense was monk fists. Form 1 was low on health, my monk Focus crits for 600 on one attack, and Archy dies. Outright dies. Death animation, I get 10 AP, no transition into a later phase, no King Tycoon talking about how majestic the beast is.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Didn't see anything about it in a quick search.

Edit: GBA version, on mGBA. That was my third run this year, runs 1 and 2 went normally.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

hendersa posted:

Thief with Thief's !Mug?

Endgame-wise:

Thief @ !Mug, Chicken Knife
Berserker @ Artful Dodger, Assassin's Dagger
Geomancer @ Equip Axes, Rune Axe
Monk @ Equip Axes, best non-rune axe you've got

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Is quadzerking Soul Cannon supposed to be easy, or did RNGesus Gilgabot finally smile down upon me?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Edward_Tohr posted:

Is quadzerking Soul Cannon supposed to be easy, or did RNGesus Gilgabot finally smile down upon me?

Normally it's a goddamned nightmare, so I think you were visited by an angel this day.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

DevNull posted:

That is weird. The same version on Steam has very different behavior for Auto. It just repeats the last action that you performed. As long as your last action was attack, it worked great with my white mage team.

That.... might still be the case. I was just done with the ship graveyard's siren before trying to auto-attack some porcupine-lookin enemies :sweatdrop:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Normally it's a goddamned nightmare, so I think you were visited by an angel this day.

Ironic phrasing, since I forgot to equip my Angel Rings. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Soul Cannon is getting me too. Monk/Zerk/Beast, so far, having Monk be the class I have two of. Should I just grind a bit or what? Should I have two Beastmasters so I can unleash more temporary carnage? I'm 21 across the board at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Alxprit posted:

Soul Cannon is getting me too. Monk/Zerk/Beast, so far, having Monk be the class I have two of. Should I just grind a bit or what? Should I have two Beastmasters so I can unleash more temporary carnage? I'm 21 across the board at the moment.

Go two Beastmasters, snag a Stone Golem near Istory for an Earthquake to nuke the launchers, then a Sand Bear for a solid 2k onto the cannon. Make sure one Beastmaster has the Blitz Whip from Jachol Cave - while the whip itself isn't thunder element, the Thunder spells will help.

• Locked thread