Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsEU/status/742393109447905280

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsEU/status/742393450159603712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol oh dear

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Remain/Brussels might have to start offering people something better than the status quo to get out of this.

Some kind of Vow perhaps.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Leave up 6 in a Graun / ICM poll.

Edit: beaten like a Turk at a Leave rally

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep. Somehow they will find a way to blame Corbyn.

Oh dont worry, its already happening

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

I think Tusk has a point, actually. The Front National would love a Brexit (Marine le Pen has said so), as would the True Finns and the Peoples Party and many of the other quasi-fascist right wingers currently doing pretty well in Europe.

You could argue that French domestic politics isn't a problem for British voters to solve, but the domino scenario doesn't seem totally far-fetched to me.

It would be some loving dark irony if domino theory turned out to have been true this whole time, and its proponents were only wrong about the direction it would go in and which end of the political spectrum would set it off.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

domino theory is obviously true imo

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The British public are probably the best argument against direct democracy that exists. They're so ineffably ignorant.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The French (and the Belgians, Italians and Dutch) by some measures are even more anti-EU than the Brits:

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160330/france-home-to-more-eurosceptics-than-the-uk

So Brexit happens, the French/Dutch/Italians/Belgians start agitating for a referendum of their own (if the Brits get one why can't we, a referendum is appropriate at this unprecedented moment in EU history, etc). Leave wins. Everyone else now wants a referendum or just skips that step and bails from what is now a very obviously sinking ship, Europe goes back to being a patchwork of independent states, a situation that has historically not led to any problems at all

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 13, 2016

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

If David Cameron needs the leader of the opposition to fight his battles for him, he should just resign.

However, that's looking more and more likely as time passes.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Welp, time to look for a job (and winter gear) in Finland.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the ignorance of much of the public re: issues that directly affect them is intentional and is further evidence that democracy and capitalism cant coexist (as the americans learned in south america)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

So Brexit happens, the French/Dutch/Italians/Belgians start agitating for a referendum of their own (if the Brits get one why can't we, a referendum is appropriate at this unprecedented moment in EU history, etc). Leave wins. Everyone else now wants a referendum or just skips that step and bails from what is now a very obviously sinking ship, Europe goes back to being a patchwork of independent states, a situation that has historically not led to any problems at all
Nah, it'll lead to a lovely trading/finance union.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'll let Peep Show do my reacting to those polls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5nffW5z8g

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Nah, it'll lead to a lovely trading/finance union.
I hope so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the great taste of eurocapitalism and free movement of money, none of the rights and liberties or having to look at foreign people. It's the UKIP dream.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
FYI Guavanaut you're sounding an awful lot like Arthur Burling right now. Good trade deals didn't stop anybody from going to war over stupid poo poo a century ago, and it won't stop them now should the will arise.

Believe me I'd love if they could, but you don't even need to look beyond the last year of political events to see that even if big business is very firmly in bed with out political class, the latter will still make idiotic decisions that hurt the former (and everyone else) if they feel it's "necessary". See: austerity, bombing Syria, this bloody stupid referendum.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 13, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A full trading union is a bit different to 'good trade deals' though. (I'm not saying that all the capitalism with none of the rights and freedoms is good though, it's bad.)

Plus if we go to war with France now we both all die in the first 20 minutes, so there's that. Unless all the G4S-Serco warheads fail mid flight, in which case we all die and France doesn't.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
at least if we leave the eu and everything gets even worse ill be able to call lots of people dumb loving cunts to their faces

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Pesmerga posted:

The British public are probably the best argument against direct democracy that exists. They're so ineffably ignorant.

Nah mate its people the world over its not a uniquely British thing, Cameron should have realised EU membership was to important to let us have a say about though. (Cue Coohoolin coming to tell us how all Scottish people are wonderfully progressive and ignorance is a uniquely British trait.)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

StoneOfShame posted:

Nah mate its people the world over its not a uniquely British thing, Cameron should have realised EU membership was to important to let us have a say about though. (Cue Coohoolin coming to tell us how all Scottish people are wonderfully progressive and ignorance is a uniquely British trait.)

Well that's true. It's just sad when you have to reconsider your principles to the extent that technocratic governance as a means of saving people from themselves actually starts to make some sense...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

it's not saving people from themselves you need to do but save them from the rich and powerful who own much of the press and therefore are able to control the discourse in this and other countries, your technocracy will just be staffed by those same loving people

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
These are some depressing polling figures.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh god pissflaps is right about something the world really is ending.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm Jez.

And Mark.

And the wine.

Anyway if the stupidity of the referendum is getting you down, just make preparations to agititate and organise the work force and immigrant communities which will suffer no matter what the actual result of the vote is.

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pissflaps posted:

These are some depressing polling figures.

It's a victory for straight up lies. I'm not sure if it was in this thread that someone posted the Trump article "Death of the Interview" but it's the same kind of idea. Once they see that lies can be told and nothing is done to challenge them there will be more and more and more.

Not quite the same as broken promises and half truths.

Telling depressing truths like Remain is doing just seems to be regarded as either "fear sowing" or lying even when it's true. It's baffling. I guess because next to nobody actually looks up things and just accepts what they're told.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

namesake posted:

I'm Jez.

And Mark.

And the wine.

Anyway if the stupidity of the referendum is getting you down, just make preparations to agititate and organise for the work force and to blame immigrant communities which will suffer no matter what the actual result of the vote is.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

namesake posted:

Anyway if the stupidity of the referendum is getting you down, just make preparations to agititate and organise the work force

But you can't buy assault weapons in this country? :confused:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Renaissance Robot posted:

But you can't buy assault weapons in this country? :confused:

A Kalashnikov for every worker!

Vote remain!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I submitted my proxy application a while back and told my proxy how to vote. Now I just get to watch from the smug security of my not quite yet leaving the EU host country (although they might think again if Leave wins), safe in the knowledge that the vote will only directly affect all my friends and family in the UK, and also my expat friends here. But not me straight away unless I want to return home.

And on the plus side my euros will be worth more and the booze might get cheaper at the duty free.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pesmerga posted:

You mean the best argument for the representative democracy we have, which isn't exactly a coincidence. People are discouraged from expecting nuance and get fed bullshit non-stop. Nobody's actually meant to be informed (that would cause problems), just credulous enough to accept PR lines and campaign waffle every 5 years

So it's great that we've all been put in charge of this complex and important area of UK government! :thumbsup:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

He wrote a guardian thing which is pretty much how I feel about the whole circus

quote:

What is the point in politicians if it isn’t to give clear answers to those questions? To understand the broad truth that this country wants to continue to exist independently, but also wants to accept global realities enough to protect its prosperity, and then make a bloody decision? Yet both major parties are, to a certain extent, divided on the issue – the party of government disastrously so.

Cameron has structured his whole career around avoiding this question – around continuing to lead a party that’s divided on the most important decision about the country’s future. All because he worked out that, if the subject of the EU was properly debated by the Tories, the party would split and it would be harder for him to become prime minister.

So he has conspired in the absurd scenario where successive general elections have been fought on other issues – where Britain’s future in Europe has not really been addressed by the Tories and instead this bunch of aspiring leaders who can’t agree on this vital issue of leadership have brushed it aside, saying: “We’ll hold a referendum”; “We’ll let you decide”; “Let us be captain of the ship but we’ll negotiate the most lethal reefs by holding a steering vote among the passengers.” I don’t think a political party has any business existing if it can’t agree a policy on this.

I hope people start referring to this as a Tory referendum because that's exactly what it is, it's the party of government completely rejecting their responsibilities. Not governing badly or maliciously, just not bothering at all, and I hope people remember that whatever happens

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

When you talk to people on the doorstep about it all they've got to say is how Britain is full and how we need to "stem the tide". A few mention fishing and other generalities but that's mostly what you hear. And there's no persuading people about it, at all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Put contraceptives in the water, that's a quarter of a million less each year. :unsmigghh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Taear posted:

When you talk to people on the doorstep about it all they've got to say is how Britain is full and how we need to "stem the tide". A few mention fishing and other generalities but that's mostly what you hear. And there's no persuading people about it, at all.

Can't change minds with facts when they weren't made up with facts in the first place.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Taear posted:

global nuclear annihilation now

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Remember the Tories are basically replicating the same play as Labour under Wilson in 75, holding a referendum and letting the cabinet vote and campaign as they desire to punt a controversial internal debate outside of the party into the public domain

I don't think many people remember the EC referendum as a "Labour referendum" or if they do its hardly been mentioned in the last couple of months.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Well I don't mean in 40 years or whatever, I'd just be happy if people remembered this in the short term when we start to see the consequences. It's going to be pushed as 'the UK's decision' with the tories claiming credit for being democratic and allowing people to make their choice, and the fallout is gonna be blamed on the EU 'getting revenge'. I just hope at least some of the blame lands where it's deserved, the people entrusted with the stewardship of the nation who just couldn't be arsed

Taear posted:

yeah

quote:

1) EU immigrants: we massively overestimate how many EU-born people now live in the UK. On average we think EU citizens make up 15% of the total UK population (which would be around 10.5m people), when in reality it’s 5% (around 3.5m people). Those who intend to vote to leave overestimate EU immigration more: they think 20% of the UK population are EU immigrants, compared with the average guess of 10% among those who intend to vote “remain”.

So Leavers think there are 4x as many EU immigrants (never mind immigrants full stop) as there really are. They think a full 1/5th of the population came here from the EU. Not a coincidence obviously

All this talk about Cameron being secretly for Leave makes a lot of sense, because after whipping up all this fear and anger about immigrant swarms, he's happy to open up the decision about this to the public. It's not like he's even desperately trying to save his job

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 13, 2016

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I got talking to a bloke in the pub, who was Leave because of something about Afghans suing some soldiers for things they didn't do, which was apparently the fault of the EU. I have no idea what he was on about...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

baka kaba posted:

So Leavers think there are 4x as many EU immigrants (never mind immigrants full stop) as there really are. They think a full 1/5th of the population came here from the EU. Not a coincidence obviously

All this talk about Cameron being secretly for Leave makes a lot of sense, because after whipping up all this fear and anger about immigrant swarms, he's happy to open up the decision about this to the public. It's not like he's even desperately trying to save his job

If you show them evidence that proves there aren't as many as they think they just brush it off, because well it's "all lies isn't it". Then they have an anecdote about people from elsewhere living nearby.

During the election the guardian had some videos of John Rowson (I think) going to a few places in Kent and they were all full of vitriol about how [person I know] cannot get a job but a Polish person can. It's just sort of unassigned anger at society not doing what they want it to do and it's both depressing and pretty scary.
Like Trump I guess.

quote:

I got talking to a bloke in the pub, who was Leave because of something about Afghans suing some soldiers for things they didn't do, which was apparently the fault of the EU. I have no idea what he was on about...
The EU has become a boogeyman like "political correctness" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Thanks Ants posted:

Because most train operating companies are a shower of poo poo.

Govia have known exactly how many services they are required to run for nearly two years, but still cancel trains due to driver shortages. Turns out relying on people doing overtime to meet your franchise terms isn't a great idea!

But don't worry, the free market will ensure that competition provides alternative options.

I had 2 cancelled trains, and one that they kept threatening to cancel until a driver literally volunteered to take it to the next station where it could carry on. This still took an hour extra because it was 'waiting for train crew' after every 3rd stop.

This is still not as bad as a 4 hour flight delay because of a cello and Easyjet not teaching basic arithmetic to their attendants.

• Locked thread