Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

do you want the monster to spin and fire, or track the player and fire?
Track the player to a degree, but since the prop will be static and you can look up the player's position with GetActorX/Y/Z() (assuming they have a TID, anyway), you can calculate what angle to set the prop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Track the player to a degree, but since the prop will be static and you can look up the player's position with GetActorX/Y/Z() (assuming they have a TID, anyway), you can calculate what angle to set the prop.

You could just make it so that every facing sprite is the cyberdemon's front sprite, which would mean that it would always appear to be facing the player, but that's an ugly hack.

Can someone please look at my map and tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong? I've got a teleporter (tag 3) not working, a monster closet (tag 4) not working, and a door that doesn't work at all, and I can't figure for the life of me what I've done wrong. Please help me unfuck my map so that I can continue working on it. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwC0_bVs2ISnOWJKcDBjeU9PZzA

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 15, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Teleporter not working: you don't have a teleport destination (thing type 14) in the tagged sector. Put one, and make sure it is flagged to appear at all skill levels.
Monster closet not working: you're using a door action, which works by raising the ceiling, but the way you've designed the closet, it's the floor that should be lowered. Change the action to a lower floor one (e.g. 19 or 38), or change sector tagged 4 so that its floor and ceiling are at height 184 instead of 280.
Wonky door: sector #346 has its active linedefs flipped inward, instead of outward. Use F key to flip them outward.

Speaking of doors, I notice that you've often put the "lower unpegged" flag on the active lines of a door. It should only be used on the one-sided linedef, the walls of the door, where you put a DOORTRAK texture.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Teleporter not working: you don't have a teleport destination (thing type 14) in the tagged sector. Put one, and make sure it is flagged to appear at all skill levels.
Monster closet not working: you're using a door action, which works by raising the ceiling, but the way you've designed the closet, it's the floor that should be lowered. Change the action to a lower floor one (e.g. 19 or 38), or change sector tagged 4 so that its floor and ceiling are at height 184 instead of 280.
Wonky door: sector #346 has its active linedefs flipped inward, instead of outward. Use F key to flip them outward.

Speaking of doors, I notice that you've often put the "lower unpegged" flag on the active lines of a door. It should only be used on the one-sided linedef, the walls of the door, where you put a DOORTRAK texture.

Thank you so much.

Changing the action to 19 or 38 does nothing though, so my mistake is worse than just not picking the right action.

I figured it out. I had to tag the action to the sector, not the linedefs. Thank you so much for your help, again.

any other input you'd like to give, based upon what you've seen so far?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 15, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For some reason the Wolfenstein line that sticks with me is from The Old Blood: "Killed your fuckin' dog, Rudi."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

any other input you'd like to give, based upon what you've seen so far?

Replace the DOOR3 by DOOR1. People are used for DOOR3 to be the fake door marking the starting room, rather than something you actually interact with.

The stairway leading to the lava room lacks upper and lower textures on the steps, this creates graphic bugs.

Lines #1287 and #1298 are one-sided, but with only a back side. This is invalid, flip them.

The lines making up sector #345 should not have any special.

Make a pass to check all of your doors. Make sure that:
- the door tracks are lower unpegged and DO NOT have a line special
- the door faces are not unpegged and are flipped correctly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordja posted:

For some reason the Wolfenstein line that sticks with me is from The Old Blood: "Killed your fuckin' dog, Rudi."

"Well... I'm on the fuckin' Moon."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

haveblue posted:

"Well... I'm on the fuckin' Moon."

"How many god drat Nazis are there in this world?!"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Replace the DOOR3 by DOOR1. People are used for DOOR3 to be the fake door marking the starting room, rather than something you actually interact with.

The stairway leading to the lava room lacks upper and lower textures on the steps, this creates graphic bugs.

Lines #1287 and #1298 are one-sided, but with only a back side. This is invalid, flip them.

The lines making up sector #345 should not have any special.

Make a pass to check all of your doors. Make sure that:
- the door tracks are lower unpegged and DO NOT have a line special
- the door faces are not unpegged and are flipped correctly

Heh, as soon as I fixed the broken stuff, I did a beautification and polish pass on the exact stuff you mentioned. I'd stopped doing map work when I started banging my head against making the events work. The tunnels to the lava area in particular only had the texturing defaulted to them when I laid them out.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Shadow Hog posted:

Man, I really wish you could scale up the enemies in ZDoom. I mean, you can scale up their sprites, but their hitboxes and firing points remain the same, so what's the point?
You can easily change both of those things with DECORATE. Are you saying you wish you could do it some other way?

Lork fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some E3 footage of Shadow Warrior 2, focusing on the gore system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ualetWao_4

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lork posted:

You can easily change both of those things with DECORATE. Are you saying you wish you could it some other way?
DUMP3 doesn't allow you to define custom DECORATE monsters (for mod compatibility's sake), so, yes, I am saying that. Otherwise I'd just import Chthon.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I have some questions on Doom wads.

1) What wads on the Top 100 wads/Cacowards are overrated/aged poorly or just not that good?

2) Conversely what are some great wads not on those lists? Wads that came out recently such as Ancient Aliens are exempt since they can't go on those lists yet.

3) I tested Alien Vendetta in GZdoom and I had some graphical issues such as extremely dark doors and bright yellow nukage. Is there a better sourceport for this wad?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

closeted republican posted:

A new Serious Sam game was announced...and it's a gimmick VR game. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_CZosKxig

loving hell. Psychonauts is doing it too...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't care if it's a gimmick SSVR looks fun as gently caress

But not $800 fun. Knock a digit off and we'll talk.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Man, is every single VR game a glorified light gun game?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

For the moment, it's easier to make shooting galleries than dealing with locomotion.

"Lightgun game" undersells the experience though. You really do feel like you're there in the environment and you do have the ability to move around within the environment to the extent of the space you have set aside for VR.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Alright. I could use some troubleshooting help. I have a small sector with and item (tagged 34) in the middle. I am trying to set the lines so that when the player crosses them, it teleports the item to a teleport destination tagged 35. My script reads:
scipt 8 (void)
{
TeleportOther(34,36,1);
}
and it compiles without a problem, but when I try to test the map, it gives me the error: Incorrect number of special arguments. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? I've got a different script doing something similar without issue, so I'm completely bamboozled.

edit: And now for some reason it works perfectly?:psyduck:

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 15, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Did you try TeleportOther(34,35,1), first of all. I might not know much but that looks to be a start.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Icept posted:

Hi I've been procrastinating to an absurd degree instead of working on my map and I'll have to grind it out just before deadline.

The deadline has been extended to the 20th. Just posted on 4ch and ZDoom, so I'll repost it here.

quote:

So, hey guys. I'm about to do something that I'd normally kick myself for, but it seems like everyone across the world has been struck with a unanimous case of "man if only I had a couple more days..."
Now, if it was just me, I'd basically go "well tough poo poo I gotta get through", but I've noticed a hundred other folks are feeling the same as well.
Either due to exams, or work schedule, or motivation, or etc, people are getting overwhelmed.

So, I'm extending the DUMP 3 deadline. Now, the submission time is June 20th, instead of June 16th. Five extra days! Or four, if you're not counting the 16th as a separate day.
If you were feeling "oh man I'd love to map but I only just now got an idea", now's the time to blitz for it.
If you were wrestling with exams this week, now you've got another half-week to work on things.
If you've etc etc etc, you get the point.

Enjoy, mates. Take a break tonight. Have a drink and a nice meal.
Then work hard and make something good.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

TerminusEst13 posted:

The deadline has been extended to the 20th. Just posted on 4ch and ZDoom, so I'll repost it here.
Oh fantastic! I was going to hurry and get a playable version of my map out before work, and this gets me a little more breathing room. I'll still try and get it out tomorrow, but I'll be willing to put it out a day later instead if I feel it needs more prettying up.

Also,

widespread posted:

Did you try TeleportOther(34,35,1), first of all. I might not know much but that looks to be a start.
I did in fact, but I'm also using that for a different point, because I'm an rear end in a top hat who likes to see players chase after items that are actively avoiding them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want to eat that burger

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I want to eat that burger

THE BURGER IS ONLY GIVEN TO THOSE THAT SUCCEED IN THE ARENA OF DUMP

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I posted mine like 5 days ago! I demand to be informed on what that burger contains and where I can get one. This is an injustice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

But not $800 fun. Knock a digit off and we'll talk.

Oh don't get me wrong it's definitely gonna be a "wait for the price to drop" situation but I really wanna play that

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

Developers are still figuring out ways for players to convincingly move around an area larger than a couple of yoga mats without inducing nausea. Gamepad movement is all well and good on paper, but lots of tiny things that FPS gamers take for granted, like "moving up a slope", "moving backwards" or "moving at 20+mph" really messes some people up. Here's a transcript of a GDC talk one of Valve's programmers did on the subject a few years ago when they were still haphazardly gluing DK1 support onto TF2 and hoping nobody threw up all over their nice clean office.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

Some E3 footage of Shadow Warrior 2, focusing on the gore system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ualetWao_4

Hell yeah! 2013 had great shooters like Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Shadow Warrior and FC3 Blood Dragon. You could buy all three for the price of a single AAA game and they were drat good. This year we have DO4M and Shadow Warrior 2, we need a good third to complete the trio!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus posted:

Hell yeah! 2013 had great shooters like Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Shadow Warrior and FC3 Blood Dragon. You could buy all three for the price of a single AAA game and they were drat good. This year we have DO4M and Shadow Warrior 2, we need a good third to complete the trio!

where's metroid prime nintendo

give me the loving metorid

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But it's Nintendo. I can't play their drat games on my glorious PC. No matter how good they are, I'm not buying a console for just one game, not even the PS4 for the loving Bloodborne that I'll never play :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Playing some down-home classic Doom wads atm and that part of Back to Saturn X with the fuckmillion bonedaddies, a cyberdemon, several hell knights, and a few archviles, is ridiculous. I have no idea how to beat this without cheating.

edit: Not shooting anything and just running like a bat out of hell while the enemies wild the gently caress out on my backside seems to be the best strategy I have found. I like this wad so far but goddamn the level designers love to just jam a whole hallway full of lower-level enemies because gently caress you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The solution to that problem is always Russian Overkill.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Dreamsicle posted:

I have some questions on Doom wads.

1) What wads on the Top 100 wads/Cacowards are overrated/aged poorly or just not that good?

2) Conversely what are some great wads not on those lists? Wads that came out recently such as Ancient Aliens are exempt since they can't go on those lists yet.

3) I tested Alien Vendetta in GZdoom and I had some graphical issues such as extremely dark doors and bright yellow nukage. Is there a better sourceport for this wad?

1) 1994-1995 stuff is really barebones sometimes. From 1996 onwards there's a smaller chance on picking a bad mapset, but it really depends what you like in Doom. And Cacowards usually have a really good selection of wads, I don't remember if there were any obvious duds mentioned.

2) Oh man, that would be long list. But if you insist: Doom 2 Reloaded, Flashback to Hell, A.L.T., Soulcrusher - those are the wads I'm having shortcuts on desktop to right now :v:

3) Well, that's super weird. Does any other levelset shows such discoloration? Alien Vendetta can be played on ZDoom or prBoom without loss of compatibility.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Decided to play some good ol' Chocolate Doom since it's been years since I've played through II's levels.

The Pit is the worst environment in the history of the FPS and Sandy Petersen is a War Criminal.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh man that's nice, I just started to get a good flow going with gzdoom builder.

The burger looks SSG tier at least, good on ya.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

TerminusEst13 posted:

THE BURGER IS ONLY GIVEN TO THOSE THAT SUCCEED IN THE ARENA OF DUMP

That's way too much mayo :barf:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The Pit is the worst environment in the history of the FPS and Sandy Petersen is a War Criminal.
I don't get why this of all levels gets so much ire. The chaingunner trap is utter BS but I don't think the rest of the level is particularly offensive. The giant platform staircase thing is a very memorable set piece.

Can you honestly say that The Pit is worse than Nirvana?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nirvana was made by Sandy Petersen too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I kind of like Nirvana, but that's probably because it's really short. Also you can skip getting one(?) key by squeezing through the exit gate.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Decided to play some good ol' Chocolate Doom since it's been years since I've played through II's levels.

The Pit is my fave Doom 2 map. It's surreal and atmospheric as heck, IMO, one of the most inspiring locations in the IWADs. Its endlessly bad reputation makes me sad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Worse than Downtown? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Downtown is really good too. Lots of verticality. But if you don't like the titular pit in the Pit or the switchback wall-walkway section you are wrong.