Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well, considering they came out with a weak version of a netbook APU in late 2013's consoles, targeting the performance of an actual discrete graphics is a huge step forward.

"only two years behind" is a huge leap for MS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Maybe what they mean by 6 TFLOPS is the combined CPU and GPU.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Instant Sunrise posted:

Maybe what they mean by 6 TFLOPS is the combined CPU and GPU.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I wouldn't put it pass them to use numbers like that. They lie so much they don't know what the truth is anymore.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
If they're really going to make a console that can run 60FPS at 4K, MS better be banking on a high-end card from 2014 or 2015.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1080 don't do 4K too well, so consoles are out of the question. You can't pay enough money to do better. So 4K Scorpio is some sort of lie.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

There is a 0% chance that it is anything other than an internal upscaler that outputs a 4k signal. The same way they used to say all PS3/360 games were 1080p on the back of the box. Just more MS spin.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess they are sort of "right" with the uncompressed pixels...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Junior Jr. posted:

So if Project Scorpio really does have 6 Teraflops in its GPU, that means it'll have the same graphics processing as a GTX Titan X at best, but then again they'll have to compress it so it's actually less than 6 Teraflops, so we might as well be talking GTX 980 or 980 Ti graphics, while everyone's already on GTX 1070/1080, R9 480/490/Fury X2 graphics.

Actually, everyone will be rendering games with GTX 11 cards and R9 5xx cards, so Project Scorpio's graphics will only be two years behind!

:laffo:
You say that, but even I, a giant nerd, had no idea of the numbers of flops in the various graphics cards until you posted. It's an impressive number.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
loving six terror flops??

I seriously can't believe the amount of teraflops in Scorpio.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Instant Sunrise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dRgWpGePs

Microsoft cut the line about having the highest quality pixels from the official youtube video about the scorpion.

that wizard came from the moon

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i expect a lot of backtracking over promises in the future, besides

If we really care we should start an archive.org stuff to avoid having Microsoft Shills coming out one day and saying "they never promised it! you sony pony"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I really want to know if the Scorpio is finally the console that gets a real SSD.

Of course it wont be, not with the siren song of product margins from running a games console in 2018 with a 5400rpm laptop drive with seek times approaching those of a vision quest.

As much as the Xbox One was an all-round blunder, the Scorpio should be a wonderful series of component crests and valleys as they try to bring it in at $699 by going back to the well of using AAA batteries, giving 2 usb ports and stamping out un-optimized placemat size motherboard pcbs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ah, commence foot-shooting as MS pulls back the reigns on a selling point that was choking off any interest in the S-bone.

Game Informer - Microsoft: 'There Wouldn't Be A Frame Rate Difference' Between Xbox One And Scorpio

quote:

While resolution will most certainly be higher on Scorpio, we can't report the same for frame rate. Loftis says that developers will continue to choose frame rate to fit their gameplay design, and that might not be unlocked or even 60 frames per second. We asked specifically whether there will be different frame rates for the same game running on Xbox One and Scorpio. "No, there wouldn't be a frame rate difference, because typically the frame rate is determined by the game developer and what's right for the gameplay mechanic," Loftis explains. "You don't necessarily want to create two different mechanics for two different configurations."
MS needs a Phil Harrison-type to immediately refute this because how lovely is their vision of the future if everything is still hobbled to the level of a dismal device like the regular bone until they can finally kill dual-release software in 2019 (Hint: never because nobody will buy Scorpio thanks to the effects of the install-base network effect that harken back to a wonderfuil day in late may of 2013)

quote:

As you might expect, Microsoft isn't talking about price yet. Though we asked if Microsoft thought players could expect the familiar $400 to $500 launch price or if the Scorpio is a more premium item. "We're not talking about price right now, but it is a more premium piece of hardware," Loftis says.
From the company that sold you a turd controller and called it elite and priced it like a Bentley's cupholder, I can other gather that something with actual expensive FLOPS hardware is going to cost $899 and be a return to the NeoGeo era of consoles exclusively for that rich poo poo in your class that lived in the 3 storey house backing onto the ravine.

quote:

Part of that premium is that Scorpio will support virtual reality. We don't know which formats at this time, as Microsoft doesn't have anything to announce. However, we did inquire about Microsoft's previous stance that VR wasn't a great fit for the living room. That hasn't entirely changed.

"It's hard to see VR being a living room activity on a mass scale, because it's not particularly social," Loftis explains. "It's incredible as an experience. Development partners, developers, and gamers told us they want to have at least the capability of VR. When the time and place is right for VR to go more social and more mass, Scorpio will be there and ready for it."
Looks like VR is going to be huge if MS is worried enough to be downplaying the gently caress out of it in the internecine period where they dont want to feed Facebook's Oculus too much of their skin while at the same time not pissing of Satya's darling HoloLens group until they have their own VR pinkeye-vector ready to sell to you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope they make Sting-themed Scorpios with The Last Ship decals.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
My guess is they won't say there's Scorpio "exclusives" because they're already anticipating rapidly shoving out another dead console after it & will cannibalize its games make any of the Scorpio games available on it. Truly going in on the mobile upgrade cycle

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing that follows this sentence makes a drat bit of sense:

quote:

“You should buy [the Xbox One S], because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you,” Spencer said after asking the reviewer what TV he had – in this instance a 1080p set. “Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see."
“Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you. For us in the industry, it's easy to think that most power is always the thing that wins. If you look at last gen, what won? The Wii won. The Wii sold more than we did on Xbox 360 and the PS3, and it wasn't the most powerful console out there. Price is critically important. Wii was a good price and it had a great experience.
“Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming. It's going to be a premium price over what we're selling this one for, and both of them will exist in the market at the same time. Scorpio is for your 4K gamer. And that's what we designed it for.”

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming.

But if they are "really focused on 4k gaming" then they currently own a very powerful PC today, more powerful than the Scoripo will ever be a year and a half from now, and have no reason to buy the extra box as all Scorp games are pre-confirmed to release and play on said PC.

Amazing stuff, really. The only explanation is that MS execs are crafting PR paradoxes specifically to gently caress with the heads of all the Habitats and Tanks out there on the wider internet.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

abagofcheetos posted:

Nothing that follows this sentence makes a drat bit of sense:

No comment would've been preferable

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is going on. So the Scorpio is literally just rendering xbox one games at 4k? No extra graphics settings? No downsampling to 1080p?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The scorpio isn't out yet and already failing

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ah, commence foot-shooting as MS pulls back the reigns on a selling point that was choking off any interest in the S-bone.

Game Informer - Microsoft: 'There Wouldn't Be A Frame Rate Difference' Between Xbox One And Scorpio

Technically what he says isn't false since, for example, trash japanese developers will decide that it's better if they make their games run at a fixed framerate and a lower resolution even on more powerful machines (lol FROM Software...) ,but it is the kind of doublespeak that the kids on reddit love.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So I can either play a game on the crossbone at 1080 upscaled from 480 or play a game on Scorpio at 4k upscaled from 720. Why not promise better 1080 performance with Scorpio?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MS needs a Phil Harrison-type to immediately refute this because how lovely is their vision of the future if everything is still hobbled to the level of a dismal device like the regular bone until they can finally kill dual-release software in 2019 (Hint: never because nobody will buy Scorpio thanks to the effects of the install-base network effect that harken back to a wonderfuil day in late may of 2013)

From the company that sold you a turd controller and called it elite and priced it like a Bentley's cupholder, I can other gather that something with actual expensive FLOPS hardware is going to cost $899 and be a return to the NeoGeo era of consoles exclusively for that rich poo poo in your class that lived in the 3 storey house backing onto the ravine.

Looks like VR is going to be huge if MS is worried enough to be downplaying the gently caress out of it in the internecine period where they dont want to feed Facebook's Oculus too much of their skin while at the same time not pissing of Satya's darling HoloLens group until they have their own VR pinkeye-vector ready to sell to you.

If Sony sees how the Scorpio reveal is going and decides "me too" with a PS4 Neo in 2017 they're stupid.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So once again MS has sent people to E3 who don't know what they're selling or how it works yet can't stop talking to reporters about what they're selling and how it works.

The most predictable of questions causes Jeb Bush levels of contradiction and confusion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Please clap.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

This whole thing was dreamt up last Wednesday afternoon just to have something to show at E3 that wasn't also coming to Windows.

This console has no reason to exist and doesn't any make sense at all. It's just a device that upscales 720p to 4k and that's it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah it doesn't exist yet but for sure man

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Teraflops of perfected pixels.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

ethanol posted:

Yeah it doesn't exist yet but for sure man

No, as in, someone at MS typed "powerful gaming PC" into Bing then copied down some hardware stats and buzzwords they didn't understand and got some of the guys around the office to repeat those phrases into a camera.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

spudsbuckley posted:

This whole thing was dreamt up last Wednesday afternoon just to have something to show at E3 that wasn't also coming to Windows.

This console has no reason to exist and doesn't any make sense at all. It's just a device that upscales 720p to 4k and that's it.

They probably freaked out when they thought Sony was going to show the Neo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sony got them to pull an actual honest to god Osbourne-ing, the likes of which we've not seen since the original since its the first business case you study on the first day of "Sellin' Computer Hardware 101"

(The second day is the case stuty about the 360's red ring and the first day is about the xbox One)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Seriously what the gently caress did Microsoft think they had to gain by talking about this thing everyone figured they were working on this year??

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wheany posted:

loving six terror flops??

I seriously can't believe the amount of teraflops in Scorpio.

how many terror flops are in the 4.5 ps

how many resident evils is that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We've got all the flips and the flops and the bips and the bops.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
how will scorpio integrate with hololens though, that's the real question.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

So once again MS has sent people to E3 who don't know what they're selling or how it works yet can't stop talking to reporters about what they're selling and how it works.

The most predictable of questions causes Jeb Bush levels of contradiction and confusion.
Regarding framerate differences: they're getting themselves mixed up with Bone S and Bone Scorpio dev requirements.

Enjoy these dumb interviews:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-why-scorpio-and-xbox-one-s-sales-dont-actually-matter
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Sony got them to pull an actual honest to god Osbourne-ing, the likes of which we've not seen since the original since its the first business case you study on the first day of "Sellin' Computer Hardware 101"

(The second day is the case stuty about the 360's red ring and the first day is about the xbox One)

I don't understand, what day did they study the xbox One?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Regarding framerate differences: they're getting themselves mixed up with Bone S and Bone Scorpio dev requirements.

Enjoy these dumb interviews:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-why-scorpio-and-xbox-one-s-sales-dont-actually-matter
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview
"It doesn't touch the pixels of the game. It just upscales everything."

"At the same time, we just announced two game consoles in the same conference. I mean, who does that? It's kind of crazy."

"Hey, what can you do to sell more Xbox Ones than Sony sells PlayStation 4s." And I would say, the answer would be probably not put my games on Windows because then you have to buy an Xbox One in order to play those games. But then that's not what we actually get from our customers in terms of what they want.

"We've got Blow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Instant Sunrise posted:

how will scorpio integrate with hololens though, that's the real question.

very carefuly

• Locked thread