Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't AMD in a position now where they just don't have the means to compete at that level? Like Nvidia mentioned spending billions on researching their new chips and I don't think AMD could match that even if they want to. OTOH if they can sell midrange cards at a low price with decent margins they could make a killing since while the 10 series is awesome and all, $400+ cards is still a small % of the market compared to capturing the $2-300 range where most gamers shop to get a solid but not bleeding edge experience. Though the new AMDs seem like they should still do extremely well at 1080p for newer games regardless.

Yes but we've just come to (apparently) accept this as "oh thats good then" somehow - since thats never been the case before. Whatever, they couldn't come out with something, I (and anybody else who bought a GPU) couldn't consider them, thats just going to be the way it is for at least 6 more months and nobody better bitch about how nobody bought their cards when the time comes. If selling a million $200 GPU's keeps them alive then all the power to them, I hope nvidia doesnt respond quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

(he might be mad, but he's also kind of right)

Unless you are happy with AMD not delivering a competing product in a timely fashion. For 2 years. Then you can say he's wrong.

The 480 at $200 will be a great card for $200 but it does not change the sad state of their overall GPU performance in the last, roughly, two years.

I don't see why people should care about the state of their overall GPU performance, though. If everything we're seeing about RX480 performance turns out to be true, a shitload of people are going to buy it because it's probably going to be the best price/performance ratio card out there for the vast majority of gamers. How is this not a 'competing product'?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bardeh posted:

I don't see why people should care about the state of their overall GPU performance, though. If everything we're seeing about RX480 performance turns out to be true, a shitload of people are going to buy it because it's probably going to be the best price/performance ratio card out there for the vast majority of gamers. How is this not a 'competing product'?

Sorry, I meant to say, the state of their overall GPU output in terms of lineups

edit: btw I just heard that there were simultaneous 1070 releases on Newegg, someone just got an MSI 1070 "Armor" suddenly after refreshing the page for 5 min

edit2: yep I just added some MSI 1070 and it let me go through checkout before I canceled

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

PerrineClostermann posted:

What I mean is you sound exactly like a /v/ poo poo poster, but shilling for nvidia and not amd.

But I'm not shilling for Nvidia :confused:. I'm disappointed with AMDs own relative performance to previous generations, which is why on one hand I'd be irritated at seeing a RX480 @ 150W draw compete with a 980, while having no headroom, but would be elated by an RX480 @ 100W and plenty of headroom compete with a 980. Why should I be excited to see AMDs best foot forward be literally Maxwell on 14nmFF? That's a terrible showing, and indicates something is horribly wrong in Polaris's design (or the fabs). I drew the comparison to bulldozer for a reason.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

But I'm not shilling for Nvidia :confused:. I'm disappointed with AMDs own relative performance to previous generations, which is why on one hand I'd be irritated at seeing a RX480 @ 150W draw compete with a 980, while having no headroom, but would be elated by an RX480 @ 100W and plenty of headroom compete with a 980. Why should I be excited to see AMDs best foot forward be literally Maxwell on 14nmFF? That's a terrible showing, and indicates something is horribly wrong in Polaris's design (or the fabs). I drew the comparison to bulldozer for a reason.

Lol don't worry , anybody who's read your posts here for any amount of time knows full well you aren't an nvidia shill

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So according to that WCCF leak (obviously to be taken with the appropriate truckload of salt), the AIBs offer custom RX 480s for overclocking wet dreams. I wonder how accurate that is, and, if it is, how high you can go on air.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I've had no issues with Gigabyte cards and I've had lots. They are big and heavy, specifically long. They cool just fine and typically have all the parts you "want" (even if you may not need them this time around).

like he said they can be pretty big, but the performance is great.

their g1 gaming 980 ti had the highest boost clock and was generally very well binned compared to the other 3rd party cards. Not including pricey stuff like the kingpin

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...If AMD makes a killer card for 200 bucks, this is bad...how?

I mean, if nVidia makes an incredibly better card for the same price, then yeah, AMD gets trounced.

I don't understand this obsession with producing the highest end, most powerful card on the market. If nVidia makes sense for your budget, then go with nvidia. If AMD makes sense for your budget, go with AMD. Until I see a 1060 blowing the RX 480 out of the water, then AMD's RX 480, which is delivering great performance for 200 USD (supposedly), is a great choice for this budget (which happens to be my own) and will do well. Once they're completely priced out of the market like they are for x86, then you can really get angry.

I just don't get the logic here :shrug:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I mean, if nVidia makes an incredibly better card for the same price, then yeah, AMD gets trounced.

I don't understand this obsession with producing the highest end, most powerful card on the market. If nVidia makes sense for your budget, then go with nvidia. If AMD makes sense for your budget, go with AMD. Until I see a 1060 blowing the RX 480 out of the water, then AMD's RX 480, which is delivering great performance for 200 USD (supposedly), is a great choice for this budget (which happens to be my own) and will do well. Once they're completely priced out of the market like they are for x86, then you can really get angry.

The logic is they should have released a full lineup, but were unable to do so. What's happening now is extremely disappointing. Its a very good thing they are getting cards out that they can and I've said and agreed with the fact a $200 card at OC 970 levels is a great price point.

The problem most people are having is that's it. And that IS sad. Not that long ago AMD released full ranges of cards to compete with nvidia and vice versa since the beginning of (gpu) time. The last time that happened was during nvidia s 700 series. In just two short years we re all suddenly conditioned to accept what's going on as a "good move" or whatever the hell?

Anyways long story short, amd gave us the runaround while nvidia went through two generations and now, finally, we get our cards ... And its the 480. Disappointment is almost an understatement

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I don't either. Yes, it's sad AMD is too weak to release a full lineup, but it doesn't matter. If the 480 delivers at $200, it's a great deal for a lot of people.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Kramjacks posted:

I guess I thought it meant "can't buy it at all" instead of keeps going out of stock because demand is way higher than supply.

In this context, "Paper Launch" means "any successful, suppy-constrained product launch that I want to find some imagined reason to denigrate." Calling it a paper launch is some sideways way of implying NVIDIA was playing dirty by scooping AMD or something.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's good to know. I saw Amazon periodically had preorders for cards and it sounded like a crapshoot. Got the confirmation mail that my payment was successfully charged so at long last my PC part price camping is over and I can just build the drat thing in a few days and replace this aging machine.

Is it possible to modify an order to get faster shipping? If not then gently caress it but I kinda wish I'd taken a 2-3 day option. Those free earbuds made me thing I had bought something else without realizing it too.

e:

Isn't AMD in a position now where they just don't have the means to compete at that level? Like Nvidia mentioned spending billions on researching their new chips and I don't think AMD could match that even if they want to. OTOH if they can sell midrange cards at a low price with decent margins they could make a killing since while the 10 series is awesome and all, $400+ cards is still a small % of the market compared to capturing the $2-300 range where most gamers shop to get a solid but not bleeding edge experience. Though the new AMDs seem like they should still do extremely well at 1080p for newer games regardless.

The key is that there is no indication AMD is seeing good margins here (and in fact it is pretty likely they are quite narrow). If that is the case, then this is basically a market share play which, if it doesn't pan out in terms of volume, only serves to perpetuate the current situation of AMD being unable to afford to invest sufficiently in its future.

Bardeh posted:

No, the best Price/Perf GPU is the free one everyone gets integrated into their Intel CPU. That only becomes untrue once you start having minimum quality expectations for running apps/use cases. AMD has bet hard on tying themselves to the console ecosystem, then trying to make a GPU that competes at that (relatively low) quality level in the PC space in the belief that you won't see a huge split in rendering quality between the two. Nvidia obviously has no interest in seeing user demand or rendering quality stagnate because they have no real skin in that ecosystem, so they are constantly investing in pushing the high end as a way of creating demand for new products (and also improving the state of the art and PC as a platform).

I think you could argue the 480 is good !/$ for now, but there's questionable future potential I'd you care about running above low/medium quality settings or above 1080p@30.

Because the concern is that if they are able to compete but lagging in real boundary pushing this generation, they will just be flat out unable to compete next generation. It's a bit early to wave the "AMD is Doomed" flag because of one (more) bad launch, but this trend is only ok if you are fine with graphics perf stagnating and generational improvements getting incrementally smaller, a la CPUs.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Not that long ago AMD released full ranges of cards to compete with nvidia and vice versa since the beginning of (gpu) time.

What about the 8800GTX, and the 2900XT being a huge late flop? I was solidly in ATi's camp back then but they weren't properly competitive at the high end until the 4870, and that didn't last.

Speaking of first video cards, my first discrete card was a X1600 Pro. Going from that thrown into a crappy ancient Celeron machine to a new system with a 1GB 4870 was absolutely game changing.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

HalloKitty posted:

I don't either. Yes, it's sad AMD is too weak to release a full lineup, but it doesn't matter. If the 480 delivers at $200, it's a great deal for a lot of people.

This is true, and it's important not to confuse the value of a product (to the consumer) with the success of a product (for the manufacturer). AMD could make it even "better" by dropping the cost to $150, for example, but that doesn't make it a good thing for them.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm so tempted to buy one of the EVGA 980 TIs as a placeholder for a 1070 and then doing Step Up, but it also feels somewhat wasteful to buy a card knowing I'll only use it for a month or two before switching.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

On the subject of Gigabyte cards being massive, I have a Windforce 970 in my computer right now and LxW is 12.28" x 5.08". The only reason I don't have something jury-rigged to help prop the thing up is that it's resting on my hard drive bay. I just checked and that 1070 on newegg is 'only' 11.26" x 4.53," so definitely make double sure it will fit in your case before you go for it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Southpark-aaaand-it's-gone.jpg

Man they're selling like hot cakes! Maybe they should do pre-orders like games do.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SourKraut posted:

I'm so tempted to buy one of the EVGA 980 TIs as a placeholder for a 1070 and then doing Step Up, but it also feels somewhat wasteful to buy a card knowing I'll only use it for a month or two before switching.

I'm going this route mostly so that I don't have to keep up with the stock of 1080s, just coast with a very good card until I'm at the top of the Step Up queue and get yet another upgrade!

Does anyone know/have any ideas of what EVGA does with the old cards they get from the program? Dunno if they sell them refurbished or what.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

AMD RX 480 Rivals R9 Nano, GTX 980 – Runs At 1266Mhz, ~60c Degrees & Draws ~100W

It's still wccftech, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but there you go.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 15, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The American tech sites are finally catching up with the Germans, here are some more reviews:

Msi gaming x 1080
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Gaming_X/

Gigabyte G1 1080
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/28.html

Evga ftw 1080
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/06/15/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ftw-review/1

Asus strix 1080
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx-1080-review,1.html

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

ASUS unleashes their first GTX 1080 ROG card, the STRIX edition is now positioned inside that Republic of Gamers line and was just unleashed, set free to run in the wild.

quote:

It is armed with an all custom design including the STRIX cooler and a very healthy factory tweak. This is a Royale with cheese alright

christ, I didn't think it got worse than videogame journalism but here we are

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hehe, yes guru3d is extremely ftw

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My local microcenter has 5 evga 1080 SC in stock.... for 689

sout
Apr 24, 2014

drat, waited too long to decide on a card and now the deals for 1440p 144hz monitors I was looking at have expired.
Hopefully some good ones will pop up elsewhere, and by then I'll know whether the 480 will suck or not.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently there is a future mark "3d stress test" now: http://www.futuremark.com/pressreleases/check-your-pcs-stability-with-new-3dmark-stress-tests

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Massasoit posted:

My local microcenter has 5 evga 1080 SC in stock.... for 689

Those exact models were 799.99 at MC yesterday and they all sold out :lol:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bardeh posted:

christ, I didn't think it got worse than videogame journalism but here we are

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Hehe, yes guru3d is extremely ftw

To be fair, isn't Hilbert of guru3d a swede? I cut him a little slack with his grammar and excited style

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Do we have a rough idea if/when we might see the rumoured price drop with non "founder's edition" models?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do we have a rough idea if/when we might see the rumoured price drop with non "founder's edition" models?

What "rumoured price drop"?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What "rumoured price drop"?

I confuse very easily! But I thought I had read that the "founders edition" cards were expected to sell at a $100 premium over later aftermarket cards. All I'm seeing for sale now are the "founder's edition" versions, wondering how long it might take the aftermarket to show up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The logic is they should have released a full lineup, but were unable to do so. What's happening now is extremely disappointing.
That isn't logic though. Even NV wasn't able to release a full line up. They just released at the high end first instead of the mid/low end. Why are you not any less disappointed with them?

Yea new high end cards are great and all but few ever buy them. Improving performance on the mid/low end is a pretty big deal too for those who can't or won't spend $400+. Especially since that is the larger market it'll be what the developers will target when they go to make games. Pushing up performance on the mid/low range isn't anything to be disappointed about at all.

Barring NV doing some very competitive price/performance competitive 1060's AMD is set to own the mid/low range at this point. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Vega. 1080-ish performance (its what I'm guessing it'll perform like) for $450-500 would probably be a decent seller.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I confuse very easily! But I thought I had read that the "founders edition" cards were expected to sell at a $100 premium over later aftermarket cards. All I'm seeing for sale now are the "founder's edition" versions, wondering how long it might take the aftermarket to show up.

The FE 1080 is $100 over MSRP, the FE 1070 is $70 over MSRP, the vast majority ove aftermarket cards have always been above MSRP, especially at release, with the cheapest ones being anywhere from $20-$40 over MSRP and the higher end ones being even more than that. The only cards that you might see at MSRP are the really lovely blower cooler ones and it's better to spend a little extra to get a decent cooler on top than to save $20-$40 and get a lovely cooler. These card have been showing up but in trickles so they pretty much instantly sell out, I would expect it to take anywhere form a month to two months for supply to start stabilizing.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The FE 1080 is $100 over MSRP, the FE 1070 is $70 over MSRP, the vast majority ove aftermarket cards have always been above MSRP, especially at release, with the cheapest ones being anywhere from $20-$40 over MSRP and the higher end ones being even more than that. The only cards that you might see at MSRP are the really lovely blower cooler ones and it's better to spend a little extra to get a decent cooler on top than to save $20-$40 and get a lovely cooler. These card have been showing up but in trickles so they pretty much instantly sell out, I would expect it to take anywhere form a month to two months for supply to start stabilizing.

So is it the expectation that it'll probably be at least more possible to buy, say, an EVGA 1070 SC at their listed price of $440 by about the end of July or mid-August? Or is that a little too hopeful?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That isn't logic though. Even NV wasn't able to release a full line up. They just released at the high end first instead of the mid/low end. Why are you not any less disappointed with them?

Yea new high end cards are great and all but few ever buy them. Improving performance on the mid/low end is a pretty big deal too for those who can't or won't spend $400+. Especially since that is the larger market it'll be what the developers will target when they go to make games. Pushing up performance on the mid/low range isn't anything to be disappointed about at all.

Barring NV doing some very competitive price/performance competitive 1060's AMD is set to own the mid/low range at this point. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Vega. 1080-ish performance (its what I'm guessing it'll perform like) for $450-500 would probably be a decent seller.

Having high end chips tells us that NV will also have low end stuff, the 1060 is not in question. Vega on the other hand is a big question mark, is it going to be another Fury X? Who knows? It also sucks for the sort of person who pays attention to this sort of news, i.e. mostly enthusiasts who already have a nice card, if someone already has a 970 or 390 then AMD didn't do anything for them so naturally they are going to be disappointed.

Also everyone remembers what happened with AMD and Intel, it feels like we are repeating history here or something, it's worrying.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So is it the expectation that it'll probably be at least more possible to buy, say, an EVGA 1070 SC at their listed price of $440 by about the end of July or mid-August? Or is that a little too hopeful?

The aftermarket cards will probably be more widely available by then, yes. You can probably get one between now and then, you just need to watch the various outlets like a hawk and jump on any deal when you see it.

This is why I am glad I decided well before release that if I get a 1070 it's going to be a birthday present to myself in October, by then we will know what cards are good and bad and they should be easy get.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That'd be fine with me ... if AMD had released anything besides the Fury since 2013. That's why I'm not disappointed with NV. (at least, its definitely not one of the reasons I'm disappointed with anything of theirs)

But anyway, good luck to them, at least they have something right?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The aftermarket cards will probably be more widely available by then, yes. You can probably get one between now and then, you just need to watch the various outlets like a hawk and jump on any deal when you see it.

This is why I am glad I decided well before release that if I get a 1070 it's going to be a birthday present to myself in October, by then we will know what cards are good and bad and they should be easy get.

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation and can certainly wait so as to not pay a premium for a FE for no good reason that I can see.

I'm doing a piecemeal upgrade of a system with an i7-2600k and a 560Ti (eventually replacing everything). Nearly grabbed that 980Ti from yesterday, but I'm now glad I didn't.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

That'd be fine with me ... if AMD had released anything besides the Fury since 2013. That's why I'm not disappointed with NV. (at least, its definitely not one of the reasons I'm disappointed with anything of theirs)

But anyway, good luck to them, at least they have something right?
just loving say you want AMD to release fury-tier cards each year despite how much economic sense it'd make (very little)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Taima posted:

You can get cards right now man. Also I'm not the morality police or anything but that's not exactly what the step up program is for, technically at least.

Literally 15 minutes ago, you could have gotten your mitts on the MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC...

Just do this:

1) Sign up for text alerts on the products you want here:
http://www.nowinstock.net/

2) Make sure you have an account ready at a place where you're trying to buy it (that is basically Newegg for the most part right now)

3) Get text message, buy that poo poo right away.

4) Play video games on your expensive thing you bought.

Alternatively just walk into your local brick and mortar store and walk out with a AIB card. :smug:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Alternatively just walk into your local brick and mortar store and walk out with a AIB card. :smug:

Unless your local brick and mortar store is Fry's electronics. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hi I'm mad at AMD, who nearly doubled the price-to-performance ratio, because they haven't released a $600 card in a couple of years