Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dragon enthusiast posted:

the uniel netcode was never good in the first place, don't get your hopes up unless they straight up went and hired madscientist to work on both melty and unib somehow

are you making a joke here because they literally did just that, at least for melty (and then why wouldn't they make use of it going forward?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm looking at this website.

What is the highest amount of display lag until things start becoming noticable?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Below like 150ms (total) you don't really notice response time, and very quickly adjust to it and it doesn't "feel" like it's delayed. Above that it becomes noticeably distracting. Unless you have something to compare it to directly, you won't really notice it below that.

You should get a monitor with the least amount of lag possible because everything else has input lag you can't control. The easiest (and most of the time, only) places to minimize input lag is your controller and display.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm looking at this website.

What is the highest amount of display lag until things start becoming noticable?

you can get decent monitors at 10-11ms for cheap, you won't really save money trying to pinny pinch past that because input lag is a non-factor in pricing for everything but monitors marketed at gamers (dumb poo poo for people with too much money)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DWITHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I use now, and they have good picture quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-VE228H-21-5-Inches-LCD-Monitor/dp/B00413PHDM?ie=UTF8&tag=dislag-20

with a third monitor that I don't use for anything anymore from back when I'd bring a setup to locals. The picture is noticeably both duller and more washed out somehow no matter how well you calibrate it but it has speakers.

I've only ever had one bad experience with amazon warehouse deals if you wanna pinch further pennies, and I have no idea what they ever mean by scratches on the body. Other than the one dead monitor everything has come to me in perfect shape. :shrug:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Below like 150ms (total) you don't really notice response time, and very quickly adjust to it and it doesn't "feel" like it's delayed. Above that it becomes noticeably distracting. Unless you have something to compare it to directly, you won't really notice it below that.

You should get a monitor with the least amount of lag possible because everything else has input lag you can't control. The easiest (and most of the time, only) places to minimize input lag is your controller and display.

If the input delay for SFV is 8 frames, then at 60fps there is around 130ms of input delay, which is less than 150 with a good monitor. This does seem to indicate that the lag may not be immediately noticeable, but since it's right at the edge it can mess with reaction times. Does that sound right, or is there another source of delay I'm missing?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

dragon enthusiast posted:

the uniel netcode was never good in the first place, don't get your hopes up unless they straight up went and hired madscientist to work on both melty and unib somehow

They implemented his rollback code for melty

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

giogadi posted:

If the input delay for SFV is 8 frames, then at 60fps there is around 130ms of input delay, which is less than 150 with a good monitor. This does seem to indicate that the lag may not be immediately noticeable, but since it's right at the edge it can mess with reaction times. Does that sound right, or is there another source of delay I'm missing?

There's controller delay too. http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anything above one tenth of a second is noticeable by the average human being and will effect a persons ability to react to things, now theoretically, anything as low as 1/60th of a second could effect a players purely mechanical performance, but it's only really variations from the normal amount of delay experienced that do that

blah blah blah i lost my train of thought

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

interrodactyl posted:

They implemented his rollback code for melty

well not yet they haven't, i thought it was still a work in progress

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pomp posted:

you can get decent monitors at 10-11ms for cheap, you won't really save money trying to pinny pinch past that because input lag is a non-factor in pricing for everything but monitors marketed at gamers (dumb poo poo for people with too much money)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DWITHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I use now, and they have good picture quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-VE228H-21-5-Inches-LCD-Monitor/dp/B00413PHDM?ie=UTF8&tag=dislag-20

with a third monitor that I don't use for anything anymore from back when I'd bring a setup to locals. The picture is noticeably both duller and more washed out somehow no matter how well you calibrate it but it has speakers.

I've only ever had one bad experience with amazon warehouse deals if you wanna pinch further pennies, and I have no idea what they ever mean by scratches on the body. Other than the one dead monitor everything has come to me in perfect shape. :shrug:

How about This one?

Some guy is selling it on Craigslist for cheap.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Thank you. I will keep this in mind.

Wow, didn't realize that the PS4 controller was so responsive. No wonder I see so many people using it at tournaments.

EDIT - People must be getting annoyed over all of my input lag questions.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 16, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

NecroMonster posted:

yeah, you're right, capcom did find a way to make me miss known badgame sf4

that's why they made sfv so bad, so people would be all like "man, you remember sf4?"

In the heyday of SF4, when people would poo poo on it but wax poetic about 3rd strike I would always say "you know, when SF5 comes out, people are going to fondly remembering the days of SF4 and wish we could go back to that."

Well guess what? I WAS RIGHT BITCHES! I was right. In 2009 I predicted the goddamn future. It feels good, man.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Man correctly predicts sun will rise next morning, experts shocked

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
By the time sf6 comes out, dogs will wear pants. Mark my words. Sorry for spoiling the future for you guys.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dhamster posted:

By the time sf6 comes out, dogs will wear pants. Mark my words. Sorry for spoiling the future for you guys.

But how do you think dogs will wear pants, all four legs or just the hind ones? That's the real prediction there.

Honestly tho, I don't miss SF4, even though it was the game that got me into fighting games. I just like SFV even less - and when they announced "SF4 but without FADCs and one-frame links" I was ready to move the gently caress on.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i would rather deal with focus attack and one frame link BnBs than any of sfvs problems.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i hated focus attacks

sfv is broken tho

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sf4 was a bad game

sfv might as well not even be a loving game

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pomp posted:

i would rather deal with focus attack and one frame link BnBs than any of sfvs problems.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what was the last good Street Fighter according to you guys. Apparently Street Fighter V is rushed and unfinished to the core, Street Figther IV is boring, Street Fighter III had broken parry mechanics and Chun Li. I have never even heard anyone ever bring up the Alpha games before. So that leaves us with Street Fighter II?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what was the last good Street Fighter according to you guys. Apparently Street Fighter V is rushed and unfinished to the core, Street Figther IV is boring, Street Fighter III had broken parry mechanics and Chun Li. I have never even heard anyone ever bring up the Alpha games before. So that leaves us with Street Fighter II?

I don't think anyone would argue against ST being the best one, and from there it comes down to personal experience/preference.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

people say alpha 2 was solid.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

bhsman posted:

I don't think anyone would argue against ST being the best one, and from there it comes down to personal experience/preference.

Let me tell you about Hyper Fighting

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think SFV is way more oppressive and scary when you're at the disadvantage then SF4 ever was, maybe because SF4 had way more defensive options. A good Ken is really scary IMO.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

We hold A2 in high regards here, man (A3 is broken as gently caress).

I mean, you have ST diehards, you have the Alpha people (I think there's a big crossover between those two groups) and the 3S players in this very thread, I'd assume. The closest you'd come to an unanimous decision is ST because it's the grandfather of every single fighting game ever made. I kinda got tired of SF4 during the latter AE 2012 days, but I don't think it's a HORRENDOUS game - it's just very flawed. SFV is even more so, plus it has extra-game issues AND I think it's more boring to watch and play.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ex is good too

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I only played EX 1 once and I hated it. I did see people pushing EX 2 Plus or something like that. I know there's one EX game that's supposed to be an underrated gem or whatever.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

bhsman posted:

why do you even post and why do you think you can speak for anyone? you literally vehemently defended SFV since its inception, a game which we recently discovered was made bad on purpose as a design decision

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Best part of the Ex series.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

bhsman posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Pomp posted:

Doubling down on this post.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

why do you even post and why do you think you can speak for anyone? you literally vehemently defended SFV since its inception, a game which we recently discovered was made bad on purpose as a design decision

I don't need your permission to discuss fighting games; don't be a lovely gatekeeper? :shrug:

EDIT: lol even the post you quoted doesn't even refer to SFV; my opinion of you being a nice guy for randomly offering me advice PMs on how to make Fightcade work has dropped significantly if you've just devolved into a rabid dog over SFV.

VVV He doesn't, hence the gatekeeper bit.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 16, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zand doesn't speak for us either

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
xand don't be an rear end in a top hat over what videogames people like

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

don't buy poo poo, don't play poo poo, don't support poo poo

thank you in advance

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRp__ZB0Zg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its cool that the charcters attack each other on the select screen.

its not cool that you can wiff a super and not lose the meter apparently

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

holy hell everything but the facial animations look so amateur

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Real hurthling! posted:

its cool that the charcters attack each other on the select screen.

its not cool that you can wiff a super and not lose the meter apparently

That's almost certainly just a feature of the early build so journalists and people who suck poo poo at fighters will eventually land supers after whiffing several times and get to go OOH and AHH.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
When I said NRS games feel like you're slapping a dead fish against another dead fish, that wasn't a metaphor

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mmm yup that's an NRS game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That demo looks rough, but it still looks like Injustice so eh.

I'm not sure I like the in-game UI, and the combo counter/damage being right under the lifebar just feels...weird.