Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

univbee posted:

GFWL was so bad it cost devs sales, with the easy piracy (boosted Shadowrun firesale copies sold, though) and needing to re-engineer to remove GFWL, or even stop being sold entirely because no more keys.

Nothing wrong at all with games people paid money for still being broken two years later from Microsoft's unshakable as Gibraltar commitment to PC gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

HyperPuma posted:

we could make more money on a teraflop than a hit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HyperPuma posted:

we could make more money on a teraflop than a hit

holy poo poo

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realised how they can so many teraflops and still make it affordable. The Scorpio is going to be an ASIC that is going to mine Bitcoins.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So we have any insight into how much esram this monster will have

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

64 mb?? The could call it the Xbox 64

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

oohhboy posted:

I just realised how they can so many teraflops and still make it affordable. The Scorpio is going to be an ASIC that is going to mine Bitcoins.

My Scorpio gave me heat stroke, gave me brain damage and then burned my house down.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Scorpio is also the name of my new death metal band

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I still remember when the Xbox 360 was going to have a player created content marketplace, so a few luxurious pixels and a bunch of Xboxen that Phil doesn't actually care if I buy are just fine with me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember when the 360 dedicated all of its power to the game and didn't wast resources running the dashboard in the background. Then when you did bring up the dash, it wasn't slow as poo poo.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Guys, you forget about one thing.
High resolution shadows in Forza Horizon! :toot:

ethanol posted:

So we have any insight into how much esram this monster will have

If Microsoft is sane they will put 32MB for backwards compatibility and forbid direct use of ESRAM in future titles, so to ease the transition between Scorpio games and Windows games.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

limaCAT posted:

If Microsoft is sane they will put 32MB for backwards compatibility and forbid direct use of ESRAM in future titles, so to ease the transition between Scorpio games and Windows games.

So 64MB confirmed.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Meta Ridley posted:

So 64MB confirmed.

Yes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

How did I miss this before

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYAPCZ6YtMQ

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
What possible reason does MS have to do this dumb thing? The whole reason they got into games to begin with was to build a Trojan horse for a living room media box. They burned that all to the ground the day they announced their plans for Xbox One.

They've got a year and a half before the supposed release, they're struggling to come up with anything but Gears and Forza as it is. Halo saved this entire enterprise once upon a time, and now it's a shitshow that couldn't move copies, let alone systems.

They are going to shitcan this division before Scorpio sees the light of day. The only way they don't is if they really and truly are prepared to take another 10+ year bath on a gamble that VR might one day hit critical mass and so they want to have a Trojan horse ready for an easy, living room VR box just in case, and oh god they're really going to do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodysabbath posted:

What possible reason does MS have to do this dumb thing? The whole reason they got into games to begin with was to build a Trojan horse for a living room media box. They burned that all to the ground the day they announced their plans for Xbox One.

They've got a year and a half before the supposed release, they're struggling to come up with anything but Gears and Forza as it is. Halo saved this entire enterprise once upon a time, and now it's a shitshow that couldn't move copies, let alone systems.

They are going to shitcan this division before Scorpio sees the light of day. The only way they don't is if they really and truly are prepared to take another 10+ year bath on a gamble that VR might one day hit critical mass and so they want to have a Trojan horse ready for an easy, living room VR box just in case, and oh god they're really going to do that.

They bought a website that makes no money for 26 billion dollars

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think a lot of people really don't get how uninterested the general public is in buying new PCs at all. A lot of them do everything on their phones like idiots now.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheScott2K posted:

I think a lot of people really don't get how uninterested the general public is in buying new PCs at all. A lot of them do everything on their phones like idiots now.

Add consoles (other than the PS4) to that list of things they're uninterested in.

bloodysabbath posted:

Which is why Sony is stupid for wanting to release the PS4 Neo or whatever when they see how bad the Scorpio reveal is already going. It's like your friend getting VD from the town bike then saying "me too!"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Three years ago I would have agreed that nobody wants consoles, but I'd have been wrong. Consoles are consumption devices, and people loving love consuming. They have much less interest in a coding capable, Photoshop-ready, spreadsheet-making computer that happens to play games better than (but less easily) something they can plug into the teevee, especially when the PC they'd need to play those games is significantly more expensive than the back to school special laptop that's built to sell Office365 and Kaspersky subscriptions.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Scorpio and Neo are going to be interesting because the price point rules are going to be completely different; having a higher price point like $599+ or whatever might "work" as far as they want it to since the "entry model" price point is lower.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

The Scorpio and Neo are going to be interesting because the price point rules are going to be completely different; having a higher price point like $599+ or whatever might "work" as far as they want it to since the "entry model" price point is lower.

Neo will be 399 no way its more. If its more they are super dumb.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the Neo is a much different approach than the Scorpio.

First off, it is much closer in specs to the PS4 than the Scorpio is to the XBone. Microsoft may look at that and go "we'll have the power advantage," but what it also means is Sony has a much easier time saying "this plays all the same games as the PS4, but better" and people actually believing them rather than thinking its a new console Trojan Horsed up as an iteration.

Second, it'll be far cheaper. If Scorpio is anywhere near the box Microsoft is describing, even next year it'll be north of $499. Neo will undercut it by $100 or more.

Third, Playstation 4 is already on top. That means you can buy a Neo and play online games with anyone with either a Neo or a standard PS4, which is most of the market and is probably the friends of whomever is getting the console. This is a huge edge for the crowd that buys consoles to play online with their friends.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yea I don't see either company charging more than 400 as the starting point. The old Xbox Ones and PS4s will be at stock-clearing prices and the new ones will be "the" Xbox One and PS4. Bigger hard drives and VR headsets will be the hardware profit drivers.

It's clear that MS's specs aren't set in stone and they'll probably find areas to trim costs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What if Scorpio is the code name for a new iteration of Windows 10. Two years from now Microsoft might split Windows 10 into two separate OSes. Scorpio is designed for gaming like SteamOS. That way you can buy the gaming OS for a PC or little Microsoft console boxes (steamboxes) and technically you could have your teraflops on much more high end equipment that you already own.

It's not a great idea/prediction but neither has been anything else Microsoft has done lately.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

Neo will be 399 no way its more. If its more they are super dumb.

Which will make a $799 scorpio a laughingstock

Its E3 2013 all over again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the Scorpio is going to be a whole new console and not just the Xbox 1.4 when they already released the little bone? Neo could just be handwaved as the machine for people addicted to VR or just a sidegrade to the existing PS4, but Microsoft yet again wants to loving lead the charge with a new new new console/generation with the Scorpio?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

What if Scorpio is the code name for a new iteration of Windows 10. Two years from now Microsoft might split Windows 10 into two separate OSes. Scorpio is designed for gaming like SteamOS. That way you can buy the gaming OS for a PC or little Microsoft console boxes (steamboxes) and technically you could have your teraflops on much more high end equipment that you already own.

It's not a great idea/prediction but neither has been anything else Microsoft has done lately.

So like an Xbox then

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
SCORP10 follow the money

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

Highly doubtful, although a cool idea.

Back in college I wanted a stripped down OS which would only load games apps and give them all the focus, turning your PC into more of a console and eeking out a little bit more power. I thought about forking Linux to do it but Linux doesn't support poo poo for games without WINE and supporting WINE means you couldn't strip out all that much. If MS wanted to they could do something like that with Windows but they won't.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Crabtree posted:

I thought the Scorpio is going to be a whole new console and not just the Xbox 1.4 when they already released the little bone? Neo could just be handwaved as the machine for people addicted to VR or just a sidegrade to the existing PS4, but Microsoft yet again wants to loving lead the charge with a new new new console/generation with the Scorpio?

Xbox is going beyond generations. No gamer left behind.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ethanol posted:

So like an Xbox then

Not exactly. I was thinking of a way it could be something that isn't as much of a waste as Hololens, the Kin or The Courier.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

e: reply, not quote

Steam Link exists if you desperately have to play your PC games on a TV.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 16, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gschmidl posted:

HDMI Cables exist if you desperately have to play your PC games on a TV.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Confession time: I do actually have a Steam link because my PC is several rooms away and I'm not running a drat HDMI cable all the way through the flat.

Now let's see if I ever use it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Steam Link exists if you desperately have to play your PC games on a TV.

No poo poo but that wasn't at all the point?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zaphod42 posted:

No poo poo but that wasn't at all the point?

Oops, accidentally quoted instead of replying, sorry!

panda clue
May 23, 2014

no one is going to watch this

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

If they make me set up a dual boot just to choose between playing games or writing a drat resume I am going to blow chunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

CrashCat posted:

If they make me set up a dual boot just to choose between playing games or writing a drat resume I am going to blow chunks

microsoft would never force an operating system on their loyal users

• Locked thread