Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its also the only way to keep the 'rolling car show' concept of GT racing alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

its also the only way to keep the 'rolling car show' concept of GT racing alive

I mean, I get that, but they have 70 loving classes

make a GTX class, I dunno, but it's bullshit that a team can work their asses off only to be told to put weights in their pockets

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

make a GTX class, I dunno, but it's bullshit that a team can work their asses off only to be told to put weights in their pockets

i hear ya, i would be more than cool with axing P1 and bringing back the ultra GT1 cars personally. i mean for all intents and purposes, the ford GT's are a prototype that vaguely resembles a streetcar anyway

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Keep the P1s, add in GT1s and have 2 classes that can fight for the overall win like in the late 90s and if one implodes due to crazy spending (like in the late 90s) you won't lose the entire top half of the grid in one go.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

VikingSkull posted:

Um, we tried that once. It turns into a manufacturer arms race and you end up with two Corvette GT1s racing each other. No thanks.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Um, we tried that once. It turns into a manufacturer arms race and you end up with two Corvette GT1s racing each other. No thanks.

Well yeah, but it's fun as hell until you get to that point

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

thats kinda how every sportscar class ends up eventually i guess, which is why they are always changing the rules/classes

and im one of the people that really doesnt like the current P1 regs or environment so im looking forward to it going away

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
P1 is da best

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

I might be in the minority here but I always kinda viewed endurance racing as a manufacturers arms race. That's like, the entire point of it.

It's pretty easy to cut down on some of the costs, homologation (and loving hold to your required numbers! no exceptions!) and a requirement that x numbers of cars must be available for privateer teams.

Xisticide posted:

Keep the P1s, add in GT1s and have 2 classes that can fight for the overall win like in the late 90s and if one implodes due to crazy spending (like in the late 90s) you won't lose the entire top half of the grid in one go.

this is cool and good

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Xisticide posted:

I like this idea muchly. Porsche 918 all done up for racing vs Mclaren P1 GTR vs Koenigsegg One:1 vs FXX K vs some sort of Chiron racer vs Huayra R would be amazing (and probably sadly too fast for most racetracks to handle safely)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I like this idea muchly. Porsche 918 all done up for racing vs Mclaren P1 GTR vs Koenigsegg One:1 vs FXX K vs some sort of Chiron racer vs Huayra R would be amazing (and probably sadly too fast for most racetracks to handle safely)

The current P1 hybrids have more horsepower, more downforce, and weigh less than any of those cars. (Obviously the Chiron has more power but more than double the mass.)

We are in a true golden age for endurance racing right now.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
FYI, in case anyone is wondering. I got the SlingTV multi-device beta and I found the whole 2016 NHRA season!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

The current P1 hybrids have more horsepower, more downforce, and weigh less than any of those cars. (Obviously the Chiron has more power but more than double the mass.)

.... and on the flip side, most of the GT classes are made up of detuned street cars

:psyduck:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Engine wise yes, but they have considerably more downforce.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

drgitlin posted:

We really are, it's pretty amazing TBH.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

George Zimmer posted:

Engine wise yes, but they have considerably more downforce.

Of course, but that's only because of regulations for street cars. Before 15 years ago or so, nearly every GT car was a stroked up street engine.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

drgitlin posted:

Closer than you might think in power, definitely way off in weight

FXX-K 1086 bhp
P1 GTR 986bhp
One:1 1341hp (1MW)

919 "approx 900 hp"
TS050 986hp
R18 "in excess of 1000"

If you put those cars on a crash diet (of course they still wouldnt be as light as the P1s), gave them more power and upped their aero chops, I think you could find reasonable challengers to the P1 cars in a delimited GT field. But like we've said you'd probably start reaching straight-line speeds that the FIA doesn't want to see for safety reasons and they'd shut it down, or one company would dominate and everyone else would take their ball and go home.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The only way it could work, really, is if the ACO and IMSA could get together and pick 6 or 8 12 and 24H races to run as a combined world series, so the draw for manufacturers is as wide as possible. Say, Bathurst, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Daytona, Sebring and Spa

lol @ that, though

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dont get together or work with the ACO

dont ever work with the ACO

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Straight-line speed isn't the issue, it's the ever faster cornering enabled by stupid aero rules.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yeah i really dont think yall understand just how loving quick these things are through the corners now. Theyre not breaking lap records because theyre pushing trap speeds to the limit, theyre coming out of the loving corners 20mph faster than 20 years ago

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

go3 posted:

yeah i really dont think yall understand just how loving quick these things are through the corners now. Theyre not breaking lap records because theyre pushing trap speeds to the limit, theyre coming out of the loving corners 20mph faster than 20 years ago

Indeed. And that's not just downforce; tire technology has come a LOOOOOONG way in the past couple of decades.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And suspension as well, but I'm pretty sure if you were to look at the advancement in sophistication and importance over the past twenty years it would be overwhelmingly slanted towards aero.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Warm-ups start in 2h15m :getin:

Are we hijacking an irc channel for play by plays?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 18, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WEC stream is live for warm-ups and pre-race stuff

E: and red flagged for oil on the track near Indianapolis. One of the P2s clouted the wall hard as gently caress and will likely miss the start.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 18, 2016

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
#35 crashes now too, we;re gonna be down 2 cars already

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

#35 crashes now too, we;re gonna be down 2 cars already

He hit hard as gently caress, I hope he didn't crack the tub :ohdear:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Ferrari Challenge race is great, and then Lemans Cup in about 40 minutes

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man, it's 5am on a Saturday and I woke up to watch people drive cars in a big circle in France.

I have lost control of my life.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Road to Lemans live now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKedBm-_WTU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

What am I doing wrong that the app is telling me there is no current stream?

Also where on their website is the stream? I've created an account and it says you can watch on multiple devices but this poo poo is not very well layed out.

*edit* the answer to my 2nd question is members.fiawec.com but that says theres no current stream either.

also, unrelated http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-way-this-quadruple-amputee-will-drive-a-1782186560 :unsmith:

*4th edit* its finally giving me a stream

Basticle fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 18, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ford has a stream and they are using the radio le mans for commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8Slcs84Ic

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It just started raining really heavily

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

just lol if you're relying on that dumpster fire Fox to watch this

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a place to sign in to my WEC account in the app on an iPad? I bought the stream, works on my phone, but every time I try to open in the iPad it just asks if I want to create an account, restore, or buy. Restore does zero, sign up doesn't have an option for sign in, etc...

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Stupid paid stream wont stay full screen for me; if I click anywhere else it goes back to window mode

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Got a bunch of energy drinks, got the WEC stream through my desktop to the living room TV, ready to do this.

As there are a bunch of IndyCar drivers in the race and there's no IndyCar race this weekend, should we use #ics for IRC chatting?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

uwaeve posted:

Is there a place to sign in to my WEC account in the app on an iPad? I bought the stream, works on my phone, but every time I try to open in the iPad it just asks if I want to create an account, restore, or buy. Restore does zero, sign up doesn't have an option for sign in, etc...

On the left hand side, the very last tab, which looks like the outline of a human head, should have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Maaaaan I wanted rain, but not enough rain for a SC start

• Locked thread