Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is there a list of all steals anywhere? The goon doc has the most worthwhile ones, but I'd like a complete list to refer to if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Doc Tot's remembered: 1/1

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kyrosiris posted:

The FF wiki pulls 95%+ of their content out of their rear end. Never use that garbage heap.

It's decent for quick reference looking, like enemy stats or item info.

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of the guidebook I had for it and 6 from when the psx version came out. It was super thorough.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Having some trouble with ArcheoAevis this run, with Dancer/Zerker/Mystic Knight. I'm only level 13 or so, so his Frost really wrecks my team and Potions alone can't fight back. I guess I'll have to level up a bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so did people figure out the new secret code word trigger thing

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

#blameeverhate gives you quad zerks.

E: This wasn't no caps it started with a lower case hashtag

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Genocyber posted:

Is there a list of all steals anywhere? The goon doc has the most worthwhile ones, but I'd like a complete list to refer to if possible.

The Bestiary on Gamefaqs has the full list. It doesn't mention whether something is a common or rare steal, though.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Genocyber posted:

Spirit of FFV has everything, you can look by monster or by item.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Genocyber posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As1XoaEFimODdEdpbXVYVFNuaUQ0TEZnRlliajZtMFE&usp=drive_web#gid=0
spreadsheet with steals, drops, and weaknesses with all three english names

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Dr. Tot has been remembered.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Choco1980 posted:

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of the guidebook I had for it and 6 from when the psx version came out. It was super thorough.

I have it. Still reference it to double-check item locations in areas, especially the later dungeons I don't go to as regularly, but the boss advice in much of it is a joke.

It is the source of the "Steal eight Dragon Lances to kill Shinryu with dual-wielding Dragoons" joke

... Oh poo poo, with #upgrade this year, thief/X/ninja/dragoon is entirely possible.

The Dream :allears:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 17, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Archenteron posted:

It is the source of the "Steal eight Dragon Lances to kill Shinryu with dual-wielding Dragoons" joke

... Oh poo poo, with #upgrade this year, thief/X/ninja/dragoon is entirely possible.

The Dream :allears:

Wait, would that actually work?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Successfully thief knifed a second Aegis off of a Gorgimera.

And then wiped to a random encounter on my way back to the save point. :negative:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

I'm glad I took the risk this year because I've learned that two zerks is probably my limit. Godspeed to those of you with 3/4. I want to figure out what the most chill run is to sign up for my second one.

Each year this game climbs closer to being my favorite Final Fantasy. Are there any other JRPGs that allow for this sort of challenge/flexibility?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AlphaKretin posted:

#blameeverhate gives you quad zerks.

E: This wasn't no caps it started with a lower case hashtag

Wasn't there a second one RK alluded to during The Run stream?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Got my four Reflect Rings because I'm assuming the Monk/Zerk/Beast/Samurai party doesn't have any tricks to use against Exdeath. Heading for Moore now, the boss should theoretically be really easy with Zeninage.

Boy getting those rings was a pain. Especially the brief time I was level 28 and got got by Level 4 Graviga. Almost ran out of supplies.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Alxprit posted:

Got my four Reflect Rings because I'm assuming the Monk/Zerk/Beast/Samurai party doesn't have any tricks to use against Exdeath. Heading for Moore now, the boss should theoretically be really easy with Zeninage.

Boy getting those rings was a pain. Especially the brief time I was level 28 and got got by Level 4 Graviga. Almost ran out of supplies.

!Iainuki is also a good choice against the Crystals, if you happen to have it unlocked by then.

Mega64 posted:

I think so, but I haven't found any info on that one. Even though, IIRC, he said it wasn't going to be a secret.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

I want to figure out what the most chill run is to sign up for my second one.

A normal 750 would probably be easiest. The mage jobs are not only generally powerful and easy to use, but their abilities synergize nicely and do a lot to redeem otherwise-lacking rolls of red mage (you can actually doublecast something useful, or alternatively you have blue mage and gently caress you) or geomancer (MP-free damage for the others, controllable magic ability option for geomancer). Probably its biggest advantage is that you're guaranteed something generally useful from your wind job.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 17, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Wasn't that #flail? Or were people making a joke there?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm liking this array of jobs so far. No repeats except the geomancer I job faired in run #2 and the double time mages.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Still waiting on a victory processing, from close to 5 hours ago. Think I need to retweet?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nah. RK lives in Japan and does processing manually. It just takes awhile sometimes.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

StrangeAeon posted:

Still waiting on a victory processing, from close to 5 hours ago. Think I need to retweet?

Just wait until RK wakes up. It's around 6 a.m. there now (I think he's in Japan??)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Ah, didn't know that! That would make sense, yes.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
First job on run #8 was Berserker. Second was Ninja. Was starting to worry about a TC.

Then Gilgabot tossed me Time Mage. Finally, to seal the deal, a final Chemist (pretty much used the Chemist to Blind Neo, double HP & Shell for Almagest). I like !Flee and !Smoke!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I have a bit of an odd question. For my second run I feel like playing the SNES version, but for w/e reason Snes9X fails to recognize inputs from my DS4, both as is and emulating a 360 controller with DS4Windows. It'll take inputs in the input mapping menu, but not the game itself. The exact same behavior also occurs with Higan. But the controller works just fine on VBA-M. So I got no idea what's wrong or what I could possible do to fix it. I'm hoping someone here might have come across this problem at some point.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I have a bit of an odd question. For my second run I feel like playing the SNES version, but for w/e reason Snes9X fails to recognize inputs from my DS4, both as is and emulating a 360 controller with DS4Windows. It'll take inputs in the input mapping menu, but not the game itself. The exact same behavior also occurs with Higan. But the controller works just fine on VBA-M. So I got no idea what's wrong or what I could possible do to fix it. I'm hoping someone here might have come across this problem at some point.

IIRC, you have to set controller 1 to use the gamepad instead of the keyboard, but it's been a long time since I've used either of those.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Got a triple crown for the first time since I've started doing these, but with Black Mage/Berserker/Bard/Chemist it'd be kind of bad if I didn't, I think:

I know I'm too late for the Dr. Tot bonus, but one more Dr. Tot is remembered by Exdeath.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Try using a different emulator, perhaps? Snes9x is a relatively old piece of software at this point, and since its most recent release there have been quite a few good SNES emulators that are in various ways better.

My personal preference is for Lsnes, since that's designed as one of the console-accurate pieces of software and thus won't have the occasional bug resulting from focusing on speed in the early days. (Back when Smite was running the DKC2 race thread, it was pointed out that ZSNES had a bug relating to rotating barrels, hence the switch.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What a good level or strategy for Exdeath at the end of world 2 with Thief, Knight, Samurai, and Geomancer? I got reflect rings on everyone right now, but stuff like blaze and earthshaker take everyone nearly to death right now.

Right now I am at level 29, which I am near level 30 but since he has level 3 Flare I just hold off on leveling that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Try using a different emulator, perhaps? Snes9x is a relatively old piece of software at this point, and since its most recent release there have been quite a few good SNES emulators that are in various ways better.

My personal preference is for Lsnes, since that's designed as one of the console-accurate pieces of software and thus won't have the occasional bug resulting from focusing on speed in the early days. (Back when Smite was running the DKC2 race thread, it was pointed out that ZSNES had a bug relating to rotating barrels, hence the switch.)

Well Lsnes seems to be working fine. Weird :shrug:

Thanks, and I'm glad to have knowledge of other emulators. Just doing a google for SNES emulators continues to just bring up Snes9X and Zsnes so finding out about them is a bit of a pain.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh-kay, White Mage/Magic Knight/Summoner so far. (Playing Random.) WELP I never picked up any summons yet, time to backtrack I guess :smith:

(Running donation tally: $6 for six days since start, $4 for four hours on the game clock, $1 for a wipe (Forza&Megissa), total $11.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 17, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alright run 3!

Ranger
Dancer
Chemist
Bard

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

Alright run 3!

Ranger
Dancer
Chemist
Bard

Tri-crown hats are quite stylish.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

To register for upgrade, is the tweet just #Upgrade? That's what the website provides, but I wanted to confirm.

(I don't trust myself with social media at all)

Edit: Upon further investigation, no. No it is not.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 17, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Is it just me or is Mibbit down? I can't seem to access the site at all.

EDIT: Recently reached the Ship Graveyard (again, laptop crapped out on me before I could save), I've managed to find -two- elixi from monster drops. Thanks game, something I can use for absolute emergencies since I'm mostly running mage classes this time (White/Blue/Berserker/Red in that order, thanks chaos!)

Kemix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2016

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
What are the odds on getting an Old from the Ancient Sword to stick on Almag-NED? Are procs like that level-dependent?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Also I'm trying to figure out if Team Fashion (Redx2-Zerk-Dancer) has a shot at Shinryuu. I can berserk him with my power staff, so it's just down to whether or not I can keep up with scraping people off the pavement fast enough. I'm thinking I might have a shot if everybody has at least one evade item. The plan would be:

Berserker - Equip Ribbons (for a Prism Dress), Dancing Dagger, Aegis Shield, Hermes Sandals: main sword dancer
Red1 - Dualcast, Main Gauche, Gold Hairpin, Hermes Sandals: this will be the one that starts off with the power staff, berserks Shin, then switches to the Main Gauche
Red2 - Dualcast, Main Gauche, Gold Hairpin, Elven Mantle: double-revive duty only
Dancer - Red (only have two dualcasters and I'm not grinding AP anymore, no thank you), Sword Dance gear, Chicken Knife, Eleven Mantle: secondary sword dancer, probably just phoenix down bot

Think that will be enough? Or is he just too fast? Should I try to get another Main Gauche for the Dancer instead? Wait, I don't need a fancy 100% accuracy attack from the Berserker to hit him, do I? Maybe I don't need him to dance, then--I can just have him bonk things regularly.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

OzFactor posted:

What are the odds on getting an Old from the Ancient Sword to stick on Almag-NED? Are procs like that level-dependent?
It's level-dependent, but let me explain how.

First off, that proc triggers 33% of the time when you don't have a command that voids it (because it's an invocation). !Fight is obviously fine, but !Dance is not. Second, the proc itself triggers Old which has a base success rate of 90%. That's only the base value, of course, because that's modified by + 1% * attacker level - 1% * defender level. Assuming you're level 40 against NED, thats a net -27% chance for a final 63% accuracy rate. Third, because Old is not an always-hit spell (referred to as A% in the code and the algorithm FAQ) you'll also have to deal with a flat chance to evade, and NED Almagest's magical evade is 80%.

The result is that on any given use of !Fight with the Ancient Sword, you have about a 4% chance of actually triggering the Old effect and hitting with it. Not great odds, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Death by math is the greatest thing in this game. As it turns out, the game rounds down, so you can Dark Pulse -> Level 5 Death a surprising number of bosses into oblivion. At this rate, I'll be able to kill each and every boss from world 2 onwards in a completely unique fashion.

• Locked thread