Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

So, when they added the DLCs to the console versions (and the Steam version, unfortunately) they removed a bunch of the clutter in areas that took up memory space so that the DLC could fit. That's the only way they fit it all on the 360 and PS3.

So yeah, getting any meaningful content added to the base game would've been improbable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I've only seen her in a few things and she's alright but I don't get why nerds are so obsessed with her.

She has red hair and likes video games. That is enough to make her the waifu of millions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Keep in mind, at least some of it wasn't only for technical reasons-the reason why you couldn't tell Caesar about Joshua Graham, for example, was because they didn't have the budget to get John Doman back in the studio for just a few lines of dialogue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Keep in mind, at least some of it wasn't only for technical reasons-the reason why you couldn't tell Caesar about Joshua Graham, for example, was because they didn't have the budget to get John Doman back in the studio for just a few lines of dialogue.

It cannot be stated enough how much obsidian accomplished on such a tight budget and development cycle. Yes it's a shame you can't recruit the zion tribes to fight Caesar but that was just beyond what they could afford

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

homeless poster posted:

I agree, and at the same time I can't even imagine how loving unplayable the overall game would have become if they had actually attempted full integration of the DLCs. NV is a great game, but its barely loving stable enough to run on consoles as is, and having the main game actually need to reference the DLC would have likely just made the game completely disintegrate.

now if there was any chance of them releasing a remastered edition that was PC only and allowed ropekid and team the chance to put all the pieces together in a coherent way that made sense, that'd be loving awesome. as long as I'm dreaming, I'd also like a winning powerball ticket, and a solid gold pony.

It's amazing how much of an impact that generation's consoles having gently caress all RAM had on New Vegas.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Pope Guilty posted:

It's amazing how much of an impact that generation's consoles having gently caress all RAM had on New Vegas.
Yeah I remember playing NV on the 360. If you played for too long or caused too many explosions the game would freeze. It took awhile but I still managed to 100% the game and all its DLC's. :)

The 360 was a good console for it's time, but boy did that lack of RAM make it age quickly.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The way the engine handles DLC and mods would have actually helped them integrate mod callbacks, but like Acebuckeye13 said, the actual writing/recording of the lines were the main issue.

When you add DLC/mods to the game, they basically load in chunks, with each one overwriting anything that came before it if there's any overlap. For example, the base game might say that a certain chunk of the overworld is just a hill, but DLC says no actually this hill has a door here, and the game just rolls with whatever is loaded last.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The tricky part being that apparently with consoles you can't really tell them which one loads last. I don't know how hard it would be to make them do that, but they've got mods on consoles now so presumably they found a way

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

2house2fly posted:

The tricky part being that apparently with consoles you can't really tell them which one loads last. I don't know how hard it would be to make them do that, but they've got mods on consoles now so presumably they found a way

Pretty sure they just load in release order. It's what the PC version defaults to.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Yeah I remember playing NV on the 360. If you played for too long or caused too many explosions the game would freeze. It took awhile but I still managed to 100% the game and all its DLC's. :)

The 360 was a good console for it's time, but boy did that lack of RAM make it age quickly.

Hah! It's funny too, if not for Riot games the 360 would have had HALF as much ram. I can't imagine it would have been nearly as successful or long lived.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I think the biggest problem with integrating the DLC in the basegame is that someone could decide not to purchase one of them. It would be trivial for the DLCs to add new ending slides for example. But the ending slides are handled by a single quest&script. So each DLC would have to edit that quest. With each next DLC needing to incorporate the former DLC's edits, making the latter a required purchase.
Obsidian could have gotten around that with a lot of careful planning and creating a framework for the DLC to hook into. But their development cycle was just 18 months, so they probably had other stuff to worry about like getting the game finished.

Internet Wizard posted:

Pretty sure they just load in release order. It's what the PC version defaults to.
Before Bethesda changed it with Skyrim, their engine loaded the plugins in ascending order of date modified.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So whats a good alternative to 5.56mm guns? I end up using it in all my playthroughs because its so common, but I'm wanting to shake it up. I've never really used some other interesting weapons both because their ammo is so rare and because Ratslayer has become a crutch weapon for me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
12 gauge guns are the most badass.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Canemacar posted:

So whats a good alternative to 5.56mm guns? I end up using it in all my playthroughs because its so common, but I'm wanting to shake it up. I've never really used some other interesting weapons both because their ammo is so rare and because Ratslayer has become a crutch weapon for me.

Caesar has a brain tumor. You know what you do with brain tumors? You remove them, with medicine. Handily, the medicine stick will get all that nasty tumor right out for him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Canemacar posted:

Power fists.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

2house2fly posted:

12 gauge guns are the most badass.

Seconding this. There's enough craftable ammo types to make it work, including slugs to give you some range.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the Survivalist's Rifle is the best longarm in the game, hands down, so go ahead and use that. it's got the best narrative fiction attached to it, which means it's obviously the most important gun you can use.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It takes 12.7mm iirc, which also has a really cool pistol and SMG. As does .45, and .308 has the Automatic Rifle which might be my favourite gun in the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

popewiles posted:

Seconding this. There's enough craftable ammo types to make it work, including slugs to give you some range.

Also mods like The 00 Commando to expand the crafting options and improve the performance of shotguns to behave more realistically, making them seriously viable options from start to finish.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Canemacar posted:

25mm grenade launcher

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

StashAugustine posted:

25mm grenade launcher

I think I did as much damage to myself with that thing as I did enemies when I tried it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My problem with grenade launchers is that generally if they don't one-shot something, that monster is now right in my face and I'm holding something that will kill me if I fire again.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

My problem with grenade launchers is that generally if they don't one-shot something, that monster is now right in my face and I'm holding something that will kill me if I fire again.

Try rocket-jumping.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

StandardVC10 posted:

I think I did as much damage to myself with that thing as I did enemies when I tried it.

The APW is decent for that since it does relatively low damage in a small radius so you can just tank it with enough armor

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Pope Guilty posted:

This is where you punch its head off.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

chitoryu12 posted:

Also mods like The 00 Commando to expand the crafting options and improve the performance of shotguns to behave more realistically, making them seriously viable options from start to finish.

They already are.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Coming back to this game after about a year. I've been playing this thing since '10 or '11 and it still feels fresh.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That's because it's a game you can play, in JUST achieving the main ending, 12 different ways. Good, Neutral, Evil. Legion, NCR, House, Yes Man.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Now I'm curious what a Good Legion run looks like.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Samuel Clemens posted:

Now I'm curious what a Good Legion run looks like.

There's like a single line of text difference between the good and evil house endings but it's quite perfect in my opinion.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Since the original games' thread seems to have sunk beneath the forum waves and it seems much likelier that people here would be into it, I figured I'd post about a Fallout 2 TC mod that just got released in English. I don't know if it's any good (the Restored Content mod for FO2 led me to believe that making new stuff for the old engine was difficult and buggy) but it seems pretty huge.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks for the link, I had no idea the English translation was already finished. Most custom content for Fallout 2 isn't particularly high-quality, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Ive been playing it a bit the last few days. The writing is pretty good! I certainly haven't seen anything that's comes off as amateurish. The balancing they did seems pretty solid too. Scarcity is just enough an issue to keep it challenging without making it a drag. I recommend putting a couple points in unarmed or melee to start, though. Ammo is fairly precious at the beginning.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Anyone here using mod organizer for New Vegas? I'm giving it a try but I'm having trouble dealing with things like project Nevada wanting to write to MCM settings and that just not working. Is there an easy workaround or should I just get back to using fallout mod manager?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Don't go back from MO. Your problems are simple enough to fix. Is there poo poo in your overwrite folder?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CFox posted:

I'm having trouble dealing with things like project Nevada wanting to write to MCM settings and that just not working.
I'm not sure what your problem there is. But PN comes with it's own custom version of MCM that only works for PN. You'll need to install the full version of MCM after PN. With Mod Organizer you can just set MCM's installation priority lower then Project Nevada's

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Raygereio posted:

I'm not sure what your problem there is. But PN comes with it's own custom version of MCM that only works for PN. You'll need to install the full version of MCM after PN. With Mod Organizer you can just set MCM's installation priority lower then Project Nevada's

Ah ok this might be the problem. I assumed PN's MCM required the regular MCM as a prerequisite so I was loading PN afterwards. I'll try switching them around and see if that helps things out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Install project Nevada, then mcm, and then UIO after any other hud changing mods. And don't forget the grenade hot key fix if you use animation replacers.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Oh wow I just realized that this isn't the modding thread, if I keep having issues I'll move the questions over there. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Not sure if we have a thread for the original Fallout games, so might as well ask here:

Did anyone play this mod, and is it any good?