Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm really disappointed by the media reaction to the UK Jo Cox murder by the right-wing extremist. Like basically if this dude was brown or something this would've been a terrorist assassination. Instead, this dude is "mental ill" even though he has a stable and long-term association with far-right/neo-nazi groups and is known within the circles which legit talk about their political opponents (the left wing) and "traitors". I've even been called a "traitor" in Australia.

Like it's good that he's going for a Psych eval, there could be potential mitigating factors etc. but we shouldn't lose focus of the violence and aggression that these hate groups poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Recoome posted:

I'm really disappointed by the media reaction to the UK Jo Cox murder by the right-wing extremist. Like basically if this dude was brown or something this would've been a terrorist assassination. Instead, this dude is "mental ill" even though he has a stable and long-term association with far-right/neo-nazi groups and is known within the circles which legit talk about their political opponents (the left wing) and "traitors". I've even been called a "traitor" in Australia.

Like it's good that he's going for a Psych eval, there could be potential mitigating factors etc. but we shouldn't lose focus of the violence and aggression that these hate groups poo poo out.

Yeah it's pretty loving ironic that when people point out that Monis and a bunch of other lone wolves didn't actually have any connections with radical Islamic groups and in Monis' case followed a completely different Islamic sect to the group he claimed to represent they're accused of being moral relativists who won't point to the real issues.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah it's pretty loving ironic that when people point out that Monis and a bunch of other lone wolves didn't actually have any connections with radical Islamic groups and in Monis' case followed a completely different Islamic sect to the group he claimed to represent they're accused of being moral relativists who won't point to the real issues.

Well I mean every case is different, so it's almost impossible to generalise here but the initial media reports on e.g. Monis vs. Thomas Muir are completely different, which is kind of my point.

Also the general ease of attributing blame towards extremist elements of the Brown People's Religion that we don't like as opposed to the reluctance to go "hey, these people here are calling for a civil war and extermination of the left wing traitors".

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Oh look, a forwarded email from my Grandfather

He's Australian though so I don't understand his fascination with U.S chain emails.

Your granddad seems pretty bright. Makes me glad my grandfathers both died before the internet was a thing

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Recoome posted:

Well I mean every case is different, so it's almost impossible to generalise here but the initial media reports on e.g. Monis vs. Thomas Muir are completely different, which is kind of my point.

Also the general ease of attributing blame towards extremist elements of the Brown People's Religion that we don't like as opposed to the reluctance to go "hey, these people here are calling for a civil war and extermination of the left wing traitors".

it's almost like the media is racist like the populace

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://vimeo.com/171165936

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Political business as usual in 2016 islamophobic Australia.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
A phobia is rational if they (extremists) really do want you dead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

Agreed

Note it's not us having an irrational fear of offending Islamists. We recall the banks refusing us Eftpos services, ticketing services walking away from signed agreements, booked and paid venues cancelling in the last minute, paid advertising in the media refusing to publish without notice - this is the reality in 2016 Australia when we speak critically about the ideology we must not criticise.
The islamophobes in the true sense of the word are cowards in the media, the regressive left in academia and morally bankrupt politicians, who can't see further than the next opinion poll. Is this the Australia we want to hand over to our children?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Please attribute your quotes

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

LibertyCat posted:

You're right, we do have a legitimate concern in regards to right wing nationalist extremists. Thanks for clarifying.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Cartoon posted:

Less than 10 billion in total taxes and royalties, but in rough terms yes? As to whether the Arts pays more taxes you get an enormous amount of discretion as to where you draw that particular fence. I suspect if you limited it to companies whose prime activity was in the arts then the figure would be less than a couple of billion which isn't to suggest the mining sector isn't tiny compared to the arts sector. Here's an article on taxation and the Arts which goes into enormous detail except for the figure you seem to want. It does highlight the issue of what counts towards 'Arts'.

http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/33230/63677_1.pdf;jsessionid=D5717AEBF0944D1EE43F538045FB89F7?sequence=1

Mining royalties aren't taxes, exactly. They're payment for access to economic inputs - essentially a fee charged for extraction of raw material. It's like how when you tap your Opal card for a train trip, you're not being taxed per se - you're paying for use of a publicly-owned service. Mining royalties are the same thing. In terms of comparing to arts funding, it's more equivalent to the cost of paint, supplies and software.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

LibertyCat posted:

actually you're just racist

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Heil, freunde. Wie gehts?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It's not rational to fear something that has virtually no chance of happening even if some random person wants it to happen.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Recoome posted:

Heil, freunde. Wie gehts?

Sehr gut, und sie?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Mining royalties aren't taxes, exactly. They're payment for access to economic inputs - essentially a fee charged for extraction of raw material. It's like how when you tap your Opal card for a train trip, you're not being taxed per se - you're paying for use of a publicly-owned service. Mining royalties are the same thing. In terms of comparing to arts funding, it's more equivalent to the cost of paint, supplies and software.
Which is why I drew the distinction, but I think the argument was related to the mining companies 'bankrolling' the Australian economy. If that had been mentioned up front I would have presented a bunch of data that makes that claim ridiculous.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0wae57nJ0
"Who just wants to get ahead with an investment property!"

How out of loving touch do you have to get to run an ad on this on TV?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Great strategy LNP, tell everyone to get more investment properties then watch as the bankruptcies roll in. Sure is a sound "economic pedigree" being displayed there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

"I reckon we should just see it through and stick with this mob for a while"

A ringing endorsement

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

AY yeah mate stick with de mob do I sound legit aussie yet pls vote me.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Bill Shorten Reportedly Seen Playing ‘Panda’ While Dutching Up ALP Range Rover

Opposition leader, Bill Shorten has been spotted celebrating his unexpected win over Prime Minister Bill Shorten during Friday night’s leaders debate.

AAP cameras spotted the the 49-year-old politician blaring the popular trap record “Panda” by Brooklyn rapper Desiigner in his ALP campaign Range Rover yesterday afternoon while driving through Sydney.

A witness describes the atmosphere as something like a Logan City warehouse party.

“I don’t know if it was a vape, or a blunt… But something was burning in that car and it smelt loud” says Sydney council worker Craig Tolosa.

“Deadset he looked like one of my cousins that deal coke. He must be feeling like a real G after that weird facebook thing last night.”

More than 2.2 million people have watched the news.com.au and Facebook Leaders’ Debate in their Facebook newsfeed on Friday, according to the latest figures, but that number is expected to climb as people catch up over the weekend.

Voters expressed their response to what the leaders were saying with 13,000 Facebook reactions, including 9200 likes and 2100 “angry” faces.

Those in the live audience judged Mr Shorten the winner, by 17 to 7.

It would appear Mr Shorten is now playing on his underdog story, by cruising through his opponents city blaring explicit rap music that includes the lyrics:

I got broads in Atlanta
Twisting dope, lean, and the Fanta
Credit cards in the scanners
Hitting off licks in the bando
Black X6, Phantom
White X6, look like a panda
Going out like I’m Montana
Hundred killers, hundred hammers
Speaking to the Betoota Advocate today, Bill Shorten MP says his choice of music was in no way a shot at Malcolm Turnbull, stating that he has been a long time fan of Desiigner’s music since he first heard him as a feature artist on Kanye West’s The Life Of Pablo.

“It actually speaks to me as a song. I have for many years enjoyed mixing codeine cough syrup with my fanta. As for credit cards in the scanners… well I often talk about the ALP spend-o-metre [laughter].

In 2015, Mr Shorten was accused of bullying within the Labor Party after he berated Penny Wong for ‘bum-puffing’ a cigar-paper-blunt at a Union function in Bendigo. The Victorian MP is often described as “Blaze Shorten” – a reference to his love of high-quality herbal aromatherapy.

While refusing to state whether or not he was in fact smoking marijuana while driving through Sydney city yesterday afternoon, Mr Shorten has acknowledged that playing gangster music and ‘dutching up’ is his preferred way of unwinding after a tense political debate.

“This campaign is exhausting. I just needed to get faded,” he said.

“Friday night got so turnt after I ate that motherfucker up. The facebook debate needs a 420 emoji [laughter]”

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/bill-shorten-reportedly-seen-playing-panda-while-dutching-up-alp-range-rover/

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJPvNf7rfs

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

scoff.gif

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...tisation-attack

Turnbull has dropped the plan to privatise the payment system for Medicare

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

You Am I posted:

If Labor are smart (they aren't) they'll now attack Turnbull over this decision as it shows that he will fold at the first sign of resistance. Or that he's putting up policy that he doesn't believe in enough to give his full support in the face of a challenge. Basically paint him as the spineless opportunist that he is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Periphery posted:

If Labor are smart (they aren't) they'll now attack Turnbull over this decision as it shows that he will fold at the first sign of resistance. Or that he's putting up policy that he doesn't believe in enough to give his full support in the face of a challenge. Basically paint him as the spineless opportunist that he is.

I assume this is another one of those dream scenarios that was made up in an alternate reality thread.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

When you have to deny you're doing something you've already lost that argument

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

You Am I posted:

Bob Hawke is essentially a nuke when it comes to campaigning

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is there any polls out tonight?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I want to live in the world where this is true.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Anidav posted:

Lmao is that actually running on tv?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tgent posted:

Yup, saw it a few times this evening during the Bond marathon.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Tgent posted:

"I reckon we should just see it through and stick with the current mob for a while"

catchy slogan.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

"I reckon we should just see it through and stick with the current mob for a while"

Pause for a moment and reflect on how many spin doctors/focus group analysts/PR dickheads spent how many hours, and were paid how many dollars, to eventually come up with this finely-tweaked line.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

And on the topic of "stick with this mob," I've noticed that over the past few days the ~*~*~The Narrative~*~*~ in the media seems to have settled on "Labor is doing well, but there's not enough dissatisfaction in the populace to vote out a first-term government." Which very much strikes me as the media gallery being hung up on the last election and not properly analysing this one.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

I find the betting odds strange given it's a coin toss and highly unlikely to mimic 2013 preference flow.

I raised this the other day and you gave me a grab bag of reasons why it shouldn't matter.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I mean where the gently caress does the coalition get off talking about stability when they're the party that has now legitimised knifing an unpopular PM as bipartisan policy

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd like to meet the demographic this ad is supposed to be reaching out to lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Mithranderp posted:

catchy slogan.

https://youtu.be/qABA0X6IzxU

• Locked thread