Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
3/3

DEPLOY at V2
SPLIT into two teams of equal size
Both teams QUICK Movement to N6
Both teams PAUSE for 30 seconds
Team 1 QUICK to L9
Team 2 QUICK to K10
Team 1 FACE South (depending on how technical you can get in facing, slightly south-east, but still mostly south.)
Team 2 FACE South-east

Platoon leader Gewehr, please inform if this plan meets requirement.

editted according to vvv

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I can't split mid turn fyi, but splitting them from the start will work just as well so don't worry about it.

Edit where is that excel sheet?

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 18, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Orders for Hetzer

Deploy to the SW corner of square Z-2 and move fast and unbuttoned along the designated lines (bue lines) below to the SE corner of grid EE-9. Then rotate slightly to face South-Southwest as indicated by the red arrow.

Spreadsheet

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 20, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
How do you link a specific post in google docs?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

:siren::siren:EVERYONE USE THIS ORDERS SPREADSHEET, THIS IS HOW YOU MOVE YOUR MENS:siren::siren:

Abongination fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 18, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Allies needed a bit more time so official end of orders will be 8am Tuesday EST. Consider yourself served!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

dtkozl posted:

Allies needed a bit more time so official end of orders will be 8am Tuesday EST. Consider yourself served!
Teutonic efficacy triumphs again! :godwinning:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Second Platoon! Good news, we are being sent to the East!!!

No, not that far East; it's not nearly so bad. There, where the map says "Here be Death".

Yooper Your 2/1 squad will move quickly into positions in the treeline of Wounded Knee. Deploy your men loosely and make sure not to crowd the 2/2 element to your West. Your mission is to prepare to probe forward to evaluate enemy defenses for a possible assault toward Flanky Woods. You may want to catch your breath just before you arrive in your position. Your's will be our most dynamic element; anticipate that you may also be asked to re-position to the base of Firebase Hill in the event of a strong enemy advance in the center. Further Orders to Follow

Command anticipates the possibility of an enemy attack on this flank, either from Some loving Orchard or up Dream Flank, in which case you are to maintain your position and deny the enemy command of the flanking heights pending other orders. Should the enemy bombard the area, retreat from the fire with all haste, possibly into the deeper woods. Good luck.

Flippycunt Mount your 2/2 squad on the panther commanded by Herr Scharfuhrer Popete. Ride to the tank's destination and deploy your squad in loose formation around the "cap" of Wounded Knee. Take care not to position too far forward in the treeline as ground-cover is minimal. Your mission is to provide a base of fire as fast as possible on the Eastern flank onto enemy approaches toward the objectives. You should expect to have many targets and to exchange fire with the enemy almost immediately. You will have abundant armor support and should be able to achieve fire superiority. If the opportunity presents itself you will provide a base of fire for an assault forward.

Command anticipates the possibility of an enemy attack on this flank, either from Some loving Orchard or up Dream Flank, in which case you are to maintain your position and deny the enemy command of the flanking heights pending other orders. Avoid abandoning the position under bombardment but in the face of accurate fire, try to re-position to maintain fires on the enemy advances. Good luck.

Captaindirtnap Send your 2/3 squad quickly into a position in the treeline of Firebase Hill Wood. Spread your men out loosely and avoid crowding 2/2 squad to your immediate Southeast. Your mission is to provide a base of fire on avenues of approach of American forces toward the center objective and into Some loving Orchard.

Command anticipates the possibility of an enemy attack on this flank, either from Some loving Orchard or up Dream Flank, in which case you are to maintain your position and deny the enemy command of the flanking heights pending other orders. Avoid abandoning the position under bombardment but in the face of accurate fire, try to re-position to maintain fires on the enemy advances. Good luck.

All squads will have to make minor repositions once we see where our tanks and support weapons set up.
Hitler Hitler

:siren:
Place the 2nd Platoon Gewehrgranat Team as riders on Popete's panzer with commands to QUICK to the middle of the treeline near the Eastern side of Z12 and FACE Southwest.

Place the 2nd Platoon Panzerschreck Team as riders on Popete's panzer with commands to QUICK to the very back of the treeline in AA12 and FACE Southwest.

2nd Platoon HQ QUICK from X2 to the back of the treeline in BB12 and FACE Southwest.
:siren:

I was relatively specific with instructions and hints for the first turn commands but will get more vague and work with more squad leader initiative after everyone gets to see the effects of quick movement on readiness, and such.

Commanders have any adjustments?

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 19, 2016

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

dtkozl posted:

Because nothing much happens at the very start, the first three turns will be one update. Plan accordingly!

As a reminder guys, the first turn is essentially 3 minutes long if you only give your units commands that will take them 30 seconds to execute, then they will be sitting around for the other two and a half minutes!!

Make the best of it, but do so intelligently. The enemy is unable to react as a whole to our deployments, but we are just as unable to react to theirs.

FrozenLiquidity fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 18, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dtkozl posted:

Edit where is that excel sheet?

HERE

dtkozl posted:

Ok, we'll be ready. That's Tuesday at 1200 GMT, or in about 64 hours if I count correctly.

abelian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 18, 2016

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Alright, after discussing with Aufklärer führer FrozenLiquidity, my Luchs will be deployed at V2 OPEN UP, and FAST move to K9. Once arrived, FACE south (as marked red on the map). My Luchs will try to harass the American vanguard while they move into Taking the D forest.

Map reference attached:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Abongination posted:

Abe is uploading some LoS video's that will provide all my squad commanders with good intel for picking the ground you'll be holding in the forest, I'm giving everyone free reign as to their pathing and final positions. I will however strongly suggest that all squads SPLIT as soon as they are able, 1/2 will need to wait till they dismount. Also try to keep your elements from bunching up and be aware of eachothers orders and movements.

Here are the videos, finally. LOS from likely American positions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejNCqPHcao

LOS from some German positions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bh3v6tTu_4

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

jon joe posted:

3/3

DEPLOY at V2
SPLIT into two teams of equal size
Both teams QUICK Movement to N6
Both teams PAUSE for 30 seconds
Team 1 QUICK to L9
Team 2 QUICK to K10
Team 1 FACE South (depending on how technical you can get in facing, slightly south-east, but still mostly south.)
Team 2 FACE South-east

Platoon leader Gewehr, please inform if this plan meets requirement.

editted according to vvv

Very good. dtkozl will need some info on where you want your fire arcs pointing. See this thread's OP for what a cover arc looks like. I'd recommend them south/southeast to cover the buildings and the main NW/SE treeline that's directly opposite your position.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Gewehr 43 posted:

Very good. dtkozl will need some info on where you want your fire arcs pointing. See this thread's OP for what a cover arc looks like. I'd recommend them south/southeast to cover the buildings and the main NW/SE treeline that's directly opposite your position.

I'm confused, how is what you said different from the FACE commands I submitted? Or should I FACE towards a particular square?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Hope I'm not micromanaging here, but are you sure you want an actual cover arc? It's likely to do more harm than good, preventing them from engaging an enemy when a FACE command would work just fine.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

jon joe posted:

I'm confused, how is what you said different from the FACE commands I submitted? Or should I FACE towards a particular square?

There are several different commands that can set targeting.
  • You can area target a location, (which obviously also means face that direction)
  • You can FACE a direction, which means your guys will orient themselves to maximize their spotting and firepower in that direction, and to get into cover from that direction when applicable
  • You can set a target arc (basically a slice of pie shaped area, your guys will ONLY fire at enemies they spot inside the pie)
  • You can set a target circle radius (don't fire outside of a certain radius)
Cover arcs and circles are good for setting up ambushes, for recon teams that you don't want to fire, or when you know that there is something in a particular area but your pixelmen have not yet spotted it. They are not good for initial orders IMHO, especially when playing by forum. You'll be very frustrated when your dudes aren't firing at someone who is 5 meters outside your target arc.

Edit to quote the OP (emphasis added)

dtkozl posted:

Arcs should be avoided by infantry, except to ensure that specialty units (e.g. an HQ) doesn't get into combat, or that a
unit avoids giving away its position while the enemy is still at long range. Remember that all TARGET commands stay in
effect until modified, and arcs move with the unit, so circles are safer in this regard.

abelian fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2016

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Gewehr 43 posted:

*3/2, you are able reserve. Get to the northern farmhouses by whatever means possible and take cover in one of the buildings to avoid potential mortar fire. Hold tight and stand by for future orders. Conserve ammo unless the enemy is danger close.

"Jawohl herr Leutnant! I shall my orders in just as soon as I've had time to scout a proper location for the me."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Eh, nevermind. No need to complicate the orders right now. However, it is still a good idea for squads to issue pause orders to let the squad in front of you space out from you.

-Company Command

Also Gewehr/Ikasuhito - could you send squad 3/2 to the Fallback line trees around N5 instead? That's where I'm planning to set up our infantry reserve, a bit closer to 3rd Platoon in case you need your men back quickly.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 19, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

1/2 platoon

Deploy on the western heading panther at the deployment phase. After dismounting from the panther my platoon shall split into two teams and advance quick along the red line with at least some sort of space between both teams up to E11/12 then taking a loose formation for both teams for maximum dispersion and will face along the blue arrow south/south east

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 19, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, right now it looks like we have two vehicles headed to very similar spots:

That bunches up two pieces of armor next to each other. I don't think this is a good use of our resources, and it leaves the panther dangerously exposed from the south.

Here's the LOS from the Hetzer's position:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvuJbuRMJaE

But, consider this alternative position. It's perfect for a Hetzer or antitank gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpBoorrwpJ4

• Although you can't see it on the contour map, there's a rise in the terrain leading up to the hedge, so it's actually on a reverse slope, and is hull down to almost the entire eastern avenue of approach (see the video)
  • Its flanks are very secure from this position
  • It has a narrow field of fire (important because no turret)

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
In case you needed more reason to avoid using cover arcs, Professor Curly found a very nice illustration of what happens when you don't get them exactly right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4MNt-BtBM&t=921s

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

quote:

Yooper Your 2/1 squad will move quickly into positions in the treeline of Wounded Knee. Deploy your men loosely and make sure not to crowd the 2/2 element to your West. Your mission is to prepare to probe forward to evaluate enemy defenses for a possible assault toward Flanky Woods. You may want to catch your breath just before you arrive in your position. Your's will be our most dynamic element; anticipate that you may also be asked to re-position to the base of Firebase Hill in the event of a strong enemy advance in the center. Further Orders to Follow

Squad 2/1 will :

deploy at Z1
Split into two squads
Advance QUICK to Z5
Both squads PAUSE for 30 seconds
Advance QUICK to CC11
Both squads FACE south
Please spread both squads in to the woodline up to and over to EE10 and do not crowd 2/2. They smell like bratwurst and old sauerkraut.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 19, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Hmmm, the field in our deployment zone that looks to be mud - how likely is it to bog down our vehicles?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
It looks like everything is pretty well covered in snow. To be honest I would need to look it up in the manual to know for sure.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

abelian posted:

There are several different commands that can set targeting.
  • You can area target a location, (which obviously also means face that direction)
  • You can FACE a direction, which means your guys will orient themselves to maximize their spotting and firepower in that direction, and to get into cover from that direction when applicable
  • You can set a target arc (basically a slice of pie shaped area, your guys will ONLY fire at enemies they spot inside the pie)
  • You can set a target circle radius (don't fire outside of a certain radius)
Cover arcs and circles are good for setting up ambushes, for recon teams that you don't want to fire, or when you know that there is something in a particular area but your pixelmen have not yet spotted it. They are not good for initial orders IMHO, especially when playing by forum. You'll be very frustrated when your dudes aren't firing at someone who is 5 meters outside your target arc.

Edit to quote the OP (emphasis added)

Well, everybody plays the game their own way and I tend to make judicious use of target arcs. I'm not too terribly worried about it in this go, so 3rd platoon use cover arcs/face commands at your discretion.

professor_curly posted:

Also Gewehr/Ikasuhito - could you send squad 3/2 to the Fallback line trees around N5 instead? That's where I'm planning to set up our infantry reserve, a bit closer to 3rd Platoon in case you need your men back quickly.

Roger that. Orders post amended. Ikasuhito the post is here, but in essence take up position near N5 with all due haste.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 19, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

professor_curly posted:

Hmmm, the field in our deployment zone that looks to be mud - how likely is it to bog down our vehicles?

I usually play as Americans, but I spent a decent amount of time driving tanks from our little recon jobs up to king tigers around this map in the last week and never had one bog. I'll test it out a little just driving around the field a bit in our light snow condition.

Edit: I ran one each of the vehicles we have all around that field at FAST for 20 turns and none got stuck. We're probably okay. Might be simulated that the ground is frozen or something.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 19, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I mean it isn't anything to change our plans over I don't think, just something we might keep in mind as a possibility.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Wirbelwind will:

Move to X5
Face South
Open up

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 20, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yooper posted:

Advance QUICK to CC11

Feel completely free to deploy outside the particular square I happened to put the numbers in. I ran out of time earlier, but I added some ovals to the map for the general area I envisioned.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Chiming in that target arcs are the devil unless you want your troops holding fire.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Also vehicles, you can deploy unbuttoned.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Deploy Unbuttoned
Fast to AA-10
Face South West (Roughly 200 Degrees off due North)

Orange = Fast
Blue = Facing

Popete fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 21, 2016

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Platoon 1 Squad 3

Alright men, time to move. Yes it is me, the guy who didn't say a word in the single strategy meeting he attended. Shut up.

Orders are, from deployment position, already split into two fireteams:

All:
Quick T, 4
Quick S, 5
Quick L, 5
Pause 15s
Quick I, 9

Fireteam Anna:
--Hunt H, 12
--Face South
Fireteam Bertha:
--Hunt I, 11
--Face South

Reference Grid (NOT color coded based on movement type):

I like a quick jog in the morning.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Explosive Tampons posted:

I like a quick jog in the morning.

Through the snow and uphill both ways!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

abelian posted:

Ok, right now it looks like we have two vehicles headed to very similar spots:

That bunches up two pieces of armor next to each other. I don't think this is a good use of our resources, and it leaves the panther dangerously exposed from the south.

Here's the LOS from the Hetzer's position:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvuJbuRMJaE

But, consider this alternative position. It's perfect for a Hetzer or antitank gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpBoorrwpJ4

• Although you can't see it on the contour map, there's a rise in the terrain leading up to the hedge, so it's actually on a reverse slope, and is hull down to almost the entire eastern avenue of approach (see the video)
  • Its flanks are very secure from this position
  • It has a narrow field of fire (important because no turret)

Thanks for the LoS videos. The issue with the south facing position is that its unlikely the allies will send much up that way in the open like that so there's not going to be a lot to shoot at. I agree the panther is a bit exposed and should maybe be repositioned but i'd rather my Hetzer be able to fire down into the central area where we are going to have to contest, It's intentionally parked where it is so it's on the reverse slope from the south and only has a small field of view on the central area (like you said no turret). It does look like the trees are a bit better at obscuring LoS than I thought however so it might make sense to shuffle it forward some.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 19, 2016

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Roger that. Orders post amended. Ikasuhito the post is here, but in essence take up position near N5 with all due haste.

"Mein Gott! They cant make up their minds. Alright boys, 2nd and 3rd are counting on us so here is what we are going to do."

Deploy and split in lower W2.
Quick move into barn at S5
Wait patiently

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 20, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Gonna quote this LoS video again, click it!

The tree's are really lovely cover, you don't need to advance all the way to the forest edge and expect fire even on the northern side's of the tree's.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
targeting arcs are a bad idea dude

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Based on the orders spreadsheet (located here) we are still waiting on orders from:

2nd Platoon -

Flippycunt
Captaindirtnap

3rd Platoon -

Jon Joe

Support -

Xenolalia

Recon -

FrozenLiquidity

Get em in lads, if these posters are in your platoon or command prepare alternate orders just in case. First Platoon is of course fully prepared and deserves praise and medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

dtkozl posted:

targeting arcs are a bad idea dude

My orders are to hold fire unless their right on to of me. So I'm holding fire.

• Locked thread